XenForo 2.1 upgrade and server move complete

Mart

Executive Janitor
Staff
28 February 2002
NYC
Darlington FC
New software, new server, some things may not work the same way but hopefully nothing is completely broken! Please let me know!

We went from XenForo 1.5 to 2.1, which is the latest and greatest and represents about two years worth of updates. Random list of new stuff in general:
  • Updated styles including a new dark style - choose it from the style chooser on the bottom left.
  • Discord integration updated - you still can't chat directly from the widget but that's a Discord API limitation.
  • Emoji alongside our classic Evo-Web smilies as requested.
  • Push notifications - if you have a compatible browser/device (this currently does not include Safari on Mac or iOS) you can enable push notifications.
  • More reactions - not just 'like' any more.
  • Lots of little improvements like better mobile view, HiDPI friendly icons/images, enhanced post editor and more.
  • We also jumped to a more up to date more powerful server so with any luck things will zip along at a nice pace.
  • Dropped Google so at the moment no ads and our analytics are self-hosted too - privacy wins!

Last edited:
New software, new server, some things may not work the same way but hopefully nothing is completely broken! Please let me know!
Great work!! Thanks for the ninja like update!! :TU:
I like the new header already. :)

Edit: can you make the edit button shown and report button put into the drop down menu (more options)?! I think editing is used more then reporting.
Is it possible to have the thread tree shown like before (in the upper section/ <Evo-Web Discussion/The Site/) like it was before?!

Last edited:
  • Staff
Minor issue, but in mobile the site not using full width of the device.
Hmm, I don't see that on iOS or Android. What versions do you have?

On iOS it works fine!
edit: well, you can scroll to the right and there is this grey area. Yes. I guess it’s because of the fast scrolling arrows. Hm.

Can we have the latest pages number underneath the thread title?! [1]-[153] for example.
Page numbers are there unless you're on a narrow view. I don't think I could make that work differently on the beta site either (I know it's different to the previous version too). Is that a narrow/mobile view you're using?

Hmm, I don't see that on iOS or Android. What versions do you have?

Page numbers are there unless you're on a narrow view. I don't think I could make that work differently on the beta site either (I know it's different to the previous version too). Is that a narrow/mobile view you're using?
I use the safari browser in iOS 12.4.2.
Forcing to load desktop version still loads mobile layout. but that’s good. All good like before.

Here is a video that might help.

Edit Button direct access is more important. ;) But take your time. For tonight you did well! :)

Dark theme FTW!!! :)
QUESTION: Do the negative "REACTIONS" 'sad' & 'angry' subtract reputation "REACTION SCORE"?

• Sad
Reactions: Tom
While I appreciate the hard work that goes into implementing such an update, I have to admit I preferred the older layout (I’m on iOS). There was a lot more information readily available in the vertical view mode, such as number of pages in the thread, thread ‘folder’ structure etc. A lot of what has been mentioned in the comments above, really.

I know this is probably just an issue with the XenForo platform, not this site per se, just wondering if anyone else felt the same way?

Yeah, I work with websites every day and run some sim racing forums so I'm aware of the work that goes into maintaining a site like this - hugely appreciative of that.

But just to echo the points above, the new mobile version of the software is so much less friendly - not being able to navigate to specific pages and not being able to access the breadcrumbs is a bit of a pain.

Didn't realise there was a Discord server, looking forward to seeing that pick up :)

Cheers for the great work though.

Reactions: Tom
Okay cool mr angry Tom now, Will there be more reactions in the future some evoweb emotes would be fire, like when someone comes UP and says your playing PES wrong lole and im all like :R1 all over his ass sending him off!

Would be nice. Loving this whole New forum thingy!!

Okay cool mr angry Tom now, Will there be more reactions in the future some evoweb emotes would be fire, like when someone comes UP and says your playing PES wrong lole and im all like :R1 all over his ass sending him off!

Would be nice. Loving this whole New forum thingy!!

I'd love to include some footie related reactions, will take a look at some possibilities later.

I've already left a reply in there, Mart will have to take a look into the possibility of restoring them from a backup, I'm afraid.

This yellow card is brilliant idea!
Even from moderating point of view.
It can save you a lot of headache in explaining and warning people.
You could even keep it hidden just for staff.

This yellow card is brilliant idea!
Even from moderating point of view.
It can save you a lot of headache in explaining and warning people.
You could even keep it hidden just for staff.

It's just a placeholder for testing purposes for now, I still need to come to grips with things myself :) Eventually, I'd like to replace the existing ones completely. I'm still not sure if we should keep the negative ones, though, impatient/angry editing folks might abuse it to express their discontent with other people's work. I wouldn't like that.

Back
Top Bottom