World Cup 2014 - Official squads

Regis was an odd selection only in terms of team chemistry because he had never met or played with any of the players until the 1998 Send-Off Series matches. However, the US had a need at left back and Regis, who had been playing regularly on the left side of defense in France, could not only play that position; he could also feel somewhat comfortable playing at a World Cup with a bunch of new teammates because it was taking place in familiar surroundings. To his credit, he played well. His teammates on the other hand did not. Lalas and others have since made him the scapegoat.

Green is a different case because US Soccer and Klinsmann courted him so openly -- talking about him in the press on more than one occasion; announcing on USMNT Assistant Coach Andreas Herzog's and US Soccer's Instagram accounts that the USMNT were travelling to Munich to scout him live; inviting him to train with the USMNT in Frankfurt before he had decided to commit himself to either country -- all of which were done to prepare the players for the possibility of Green's selection as well as Green himself. So, I'm going to debunk the myth that it's mind-boggling from a team chemistry point of view. Now, from a playing point of view, I can understand your frustration or shock at Green's inclusion. However, remember than Landon also played for Bayer Leverkusen II (i.e., another fourth tier German side) in the buildup to the 2002 World Cup and that tournament panned out well for him.

Um, bebo...Dempsey is playing up top. :P He would have started with Jozy on Tuesday if it wasn't for the injury he sustained in the buildup to the match. He sat as a precaution and will start against Turkey this Sunday.

Your the only person who has ever said Regis played well, ever, LOL

Your the only person who has ever said Regis played well, ever, LOL

How about this: I will rewatch all of the matches from the '98 World Cup and if I judge Regis to have played poorly, I will come back to this thread, quote your post, and gladly admit that you were right and I was wrong. Sound good? Great! Now, can we please move on and discuss OUR national team? I'm really trying hard to be respectful of how you express your opinions, but you need to meet me halfway here.

Thanks,
Steve

BpDHd7qCcAAndMQ.png

How about this: I will rewatch all of the matches from the '98 World Cup and if I judge Regis to have played poorly, I will come back to this thread, quote your post, and gladly admit that you were right and I was wrong. Sound good? Great! Now, can we please move on and discuss OUR national team? I'm really trying hard to be respectful of how you express your opinions, but you need to meet me halfway here.

Thanks,
Steve

IIRC, we was one of the few bright spots of your NT in France 98.

Ivory Coast (23)

Goalkeepers: Boubacar Barry (Lokeren), Sylvain Gbohouo (Sewe Sport), Sayouba Mande (Stabaek)

Defenders: Serge Aurier (Toulouse), Jean-Daniel Akpa-Akpro (Toulouse), Didier Zokora (Trabzonspor), Kolo Toure (Liverpool), Sol Bamba (Trabzonspor), Arthur Boka (Stuttgart), Constant Djakpa (Eintracht Frankfurt), Ousmane Diarrassouba Viera (Caykur Rizespor)

Midfielders: Cheick Tiote (Newcastle United), Geoffroy Serey Die (Basel), Ismael Diomande (St. Etienne), Didier Ya Konan (Hannover), Yaya Toure (Manchester City), Max Gradel (St. Etienne)

Forwards: Didier Drogba (Galatasaray), Wilfried Bony (Swansea City), Gervinho (Roma), Salomon Kalou (Lille), Giovanni Sio (Basel), Mathias Bolly (Dusseldorf)

Last edited:
Iran (23)

Goalkeepers: Daniel Davari (Eintracht Braunschweig/GER), Rahman Ahmadi (Sepahan Isfahan), Alireza Haqiqi (Sporting da Covilha/POR)

Defenders: Hossein Mahini (Persepolis), Jalal Hosseini (Persepolis), Amir Hossein Sadeqi (Esteghlal), Hashem Beykzadeh (Esteghlal), Mehrdad Pouladi (Persepolis), Ahmad Alenemeh (Naft Tehran), Pejman Montazeri (Umm Salal SC/QAT), Steven Beitashour (Vancouver Whitecaps FC/CAN), Mohammad Reza Khanzadeh (Zob Ahan Isfahan)

Midfielders: Reza Haghighi (Persepolis), Andranik Teymourian (Esteghlal), Ghasem Hadadifar (Zob Ahan Isfahan), Bakhtiar Rahmani (Foolad), Javad Nekounam (Kuwait SC/KUW), Ehsan Hajsafi (Sepahan Isfahan)

Forwards: Khosrow Heidari (Esteghlal), Karim Ansarifard (Tractor Sazi), Reza Ghoochannejhad (Charlton Athletic/ENG), Alireza Jahanbakhsh (NEC/NED),Masoud Shojaei (UD Las Palmas/ESP), Ashkan Dejagah (Fulham/ENG)

Last edited:
Chile (23)

Goalkeepers: Claudio Bravo (Real Sociedad), Johnny Herrera (Universidad de Chile), Cristopher Toselli (Universidad Catolica)

Defenders: Gary Medel (Cardiff City), Jose Rojas (Universidad de Chile), Eugenio Mena (Santos), Gonzalo Jara (Nottingham Forest)

Midfielders: Arturo Vidal (Juventus), Mauricio Isla (Juventus), Marcelo Diaz (Basel), Francisco Silva (Osasuna), Felipe Gutierrez (FC Twente), Jose Pedro Fuenzalida (Colo Colo), Carlos Carmona (Atalanta), Jean Beausejour (Wigan Athletic), Charles Aranguiz (Internacional), Miiko Albornoz (Malmo)

Forwards: Alexis Sanchez (Barcelona), Eduardo Vargas (Valencia), Jorge Valdivia (Palmeiras), Mauricio Pinilla (Cagliari), Esteban Paredes (Colo Colo), Fabian Orellana (Celta Vigo)

Löw axed Schmelzer, Volland and Mustafi from the German team for the final 23.

Germany (23)

ger.png

Goalkeepers:
Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich)
Roman Weidenfeller (Borussia Dortmund)
Ron-Robert Zieler (Hannover 96)

Defenders:
Jerome Boateng (Bayern Munich)
Erik Durm (Borussia Dortmund)
Kevin Großkreutz (Borussia Dortmund)
Benedikt Höwedes (Schalke 04)
Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund)
Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich)
Per Mertesacker (Arsenal FC)

Midfielders:
Julian Draxler (Schalke 04)
Matthias Ginter (SC Freiburg)
Mario Götze (Bayern Munich)
Sami Khedira (Real Madrid)
Toni Kroos (Bayern Munich)
Thomas Müller (Bayern Munich)
Mesut Özil (Arsenal FC)
Lukas Podolski (Arsenal FC)
Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund)
André Schürrle (Chelsea FC)
Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich)
Christoph Kramer (Borussia Mönchengladbach)

Forwards:
Miroslav Klose (SS Lazio)

Insane...nothing else. Mustafi was logical, Schmelzer is obviously too injured, but axing our only serious second option for a forward (if you count Poldi and Müller as midfielder) is stupid. Klose is nowhere near his best and probably can't play for 90 straight minutes, who is supposed to play in front? A "wrong 9" is bullshit and doesn't work for us.

Not his last only wrong action over the last four years, hope Löw will resign after the WC, we need fresh wind.

The Final squad of Russian team:

rus.png

Goalkeepers: Igor Akinfeev (CSKA Moscow), Yuri Lodygin (Zenit Saint Petersburg), Sergey Ryzhikov (Rubin Kazan)

Defenders: Vasili Berezutski (CSKA Moscow), Sergei Ignashevich (CSKA Moscow), Georgi Schennikov (CSKA Moscow), Vladimir Granat (Dynamo Moscow), Aleksei Kozlov (Dynamo Moscow), Andrey Yeshchenko (Anzhi Makhachkala), Andrey Semyonov (Terek Grozny)

Midfielders: Yuri Zhirkov (Dynamo Moscow), Aleksei Ionov (Dynamo Moscow), Igor Denisov (Dynamo Moscow), Alan Dzagoev (CSKA Moscow), Aleksandr Samedov (Lokomotiv Moscow), Roman Shirokov (Krasnodar), Denis Glushakov (Spartak Moscow), Dmitri Kombarov (Spartak Moscow), Viktor Fayzulin (Zenit Saint Petersburg), Oleg Shatov (Zenit Saint Petersburg)

Forwards: Aleksandr Kokorin (Dynamo Moscow), Maksim Kanunnikov (Amkar Perm), Aleksandr Kerzhakov (Zenit Saint Petersburg)

Also in the official delegation will travel midfielder Pavel Mogilevets (Rubin Kazan), who will participate in the training process and stored in the backup list. ;)

P.S The final squad added in a list of all squads in first post.

Cameroon (23)

Goalkeepers: Charles Itandje (Konyaspor), Sammy Ndjock (Fetihespor), Loic Feudjou (Coton Sport)

Defenders: Allan Nyom (Granada), Dany Nounkeu (Besiktas), Cedric Djeugoue (Coton Sport), Aurelien Chedjou (Galatasaray), Nicolas Nkoulou (Marseille), Henri Bedimo (Lyon), Benoit Assou-Ekotto (Tottenham Hotspur)

Midfielders: Eyong Enoh (Antalyaspor), Jean Makoun (Rennes), Joel Matip (Schalke), Stephane Mbia (QPR), Landry Nguemo (Bordeaux), Alex Song (Barcelona), Edgar Salli (Lens)

Forwards: Samuel Eto'o (unattached), Eric Choupo Moting (Mainz), Benjamin Moukandjo (Nancy), Vincent Aboubakar (Lorient), Pierre Webo (Fenerbahce), Fabrice Olinga (Zulte-Waregem).

Algeria (23)

Goalkeepers: Mohamed Lamine Zemmamouche (USM Alger), Rais Mbolhi (CSKA Sofia), Cedric Si Mohamed (CS Constantine)

Defenders: Carl Medjani (Valenciennes), Aissa Mandi (Reims), Madjid Bougherra (Lekhwiya), Faouzi Ghoulam (Napoli), Rafik Halliche (Academica),Essaid Belkalem (Watford), Liassine Cadamuro (Real Mallorca), Djamel Mesbah (Livorno), Mehdi Mostefa (Ajaccio)

Midfielders: Sofiane Feghouli (Valencia), Saphir Taider (Inter Milan), Medhi Lacen (Getafe), Abdelmoumen Djabou (Club Africain), Yacine Brahimi (Grenada), Nabil Bentaleb (Tottenham), Hassan Yebda (Udinese), Riyad Mahrez (Leicester)

Forwards: Islam Slimani (Sporting Lisbon), Hilal Soudani (Dinamo Zagreb, Nabil Ghilas (Porto).

Abate and De Sciglio are already in, why do you guys need him again?

Darmian plays as fullback or rightback, only Abate plays on the right too (De Sciglio plays on the left where there is also Chiellini if he needs it). So that's why.

The 3 are very weak players for a WC, he is trying to compensate the lost of Balza and Maggio, where Italy completely lost the SBs power and quality. Now Prandelli must play with 3 defenders like Juve's formation, otherwise we'll be destroyed in defense.

Last edited:
Italy WC Squad Numbers

Portieri: 1 Buffon (Juventus), 13 Perin (Genoa), 12 Sirigu (Paris St. Germain);
Difensori: 7 Abate (Milan), 15 Barzagli (Juventus), 19 Bonucci (Juventus), 3 Chiellini (Juventus), 4 Darmian (Torino), 2 De Sciglio (Milan), 20 Paletta (Parma);
Centrocampisti: 14 Aquilani (Fiorentina), 6 Candreva (Lazio), 16 De Rossi (Roma), 8 Marchisio (Juventus), 5 Thiago Motta (Paris St. Germain), 18 Parolo (Parma), 21 Pirlo (Juventus), 23 Verratti (Paris St. Germain);
Attaccanti: 9 Balotelli (Milan), 10 Cassano (Parma), 11 Cerci (Torino), 17 Immobile (Torino), 22 Insigne (Napoli).

Yeah, Maggio's injury is huge blow. He should've taken another CB instead of another full back, because like you pointed out he's more likely to play with a back three, you already have all the wide mens you need, why take someone who's unlikely to play :?

I think he wants to have at least 1 sub for each SB, but we don't have any real SBs other then De Sciglio, the others are fullbacks used as SB.

Maybe, and scarily so, he is thinking of maintaining 4 on the back even without Maggio and Balza and that's why he is bringing him extra. I hope not for the sake of our team.

The best tactic for Italy in this WC is so obvious: Juventus formation + Torino attack (Cerci + Immobile).

Strong and solid.

Last edited:
Kinda :P

But if most of the team is basic Juventus players why wouldn't have use their formation since it works so well for them at Juve? And why not use Torino's attack if they played so well together this season?

He would have them playing at their best without needing to adjust to anything.

Last edited:
Insane...nothing else. Mustafi was logical, Schmelzer is obviously too injured, but axing our only serious second option for a forward (if you count Poldi and Müller as midfielder) is stupid. Klose is nowhere near his best and probably can't play for 90 straight minutes, who is supposed to play in front? A "wrong 9" is bullshit and doesn't work for us.

Not his last only wrong action over the last four years, hope Löw will resign after the WC, we need fresh wind.

+1

But Lazio medical staff reported Klose is 100% fit for the WC, only thing is that he is old and having ONLY him as a striker will force the false 9 crap to be used at times. :/

I don't think Italy has good enough Wingbacks to play a 3-5-2 scheme. De Siglio and Abate lack the stamina and workrate to play that position at a high level. Darmian I don't really known him that well. Juve can play that scheme because they have two "workhorses" on the wings. Italy don't have one (without Maggio).
Plus they lack a bit of "covering ground" type of players in the midfield. Pirlo defense is only positional and De Rossi, at this point, lacks the pace and intensity to "play for two guys". Marchisio can do that, but IMO is still short.

Brasil WC Squad Numbers

1 - Jefferson
2 - Daniel Alves
3 - Thiago Silva
4 - David Luiz
5 - Fernandinho
6 - Marcelo
7 - Hulk
8 - Paulinho
9 - Fred
10 - Neymar Jr.
11 - Oscar
12 - Júlio César
13 - Dante
14 - Maxwell
15 - Henrique
16 - Ramires
17 - Luiz Gustavo
18 - Hernanes
19 - Willian
20 - Bernard
21 - Jô
22 - Victor
23 - Maicon

France:

Goalkeepers: Landreau, Lloris, Ruffier.

Defenders: Debuchy, Digne, Evra, Koscielny, Mangala, Sagna, Sakho, Varane.

Midfielders: Cabaye, Grenier, Matuidi, Mavuba, Pogba, Sissoko, Valbuena.

Forwards: Benzema, Giroud, Griezmann, Remy, Ribery.

So Ribery is going...

Back
Top Bottom