Winning Eleven Pro Evo 2008 [Wii]

passinig is aesy and good but dribling/defence is difficult
anyways this give us new joy

edit: cant open iso with GGS :(

Last edited:
Thanks Three1Six!!! Those are awesome impressions! Keep em coming.

I wish we could see some videos of your goals. It seems there could be some interesting ones. What's the coolest thing that's happened on it so far?

I wish I could hook up my Wii to my computer to make some videos - maybe if I save some really special goals I'll upload them.

Coolest thing? Tough to say - but it's just one of them games that when you pull something off you get a real sense of satisfaction because you are in control of everything. My personal favourites are the goals where I pick up the ball, send 2 players into the box - drag the defenders out and then send a 3rd player into the space and finish like that - tough but its a "let's see that again" type goal that I love to score.

Also, finding that you need to use the wings a lot more than the old PES - simple because the middle of the park gets too congested and is tough to maneuver in tight spots so you have to ship it wide where you have a lot of space.

Another slight problem i've been having (this is a tough one to explain, so bear with me)...

When you are in possession - point+A is how you run - point where you want to go and press A - the further you press from your player the faster you run. HOWEVER, the button to get other players to run is - click on the player with A and drag to where you want him to go. This is an issue sometimes because you're playing so fast - if you're on the ball and you want Rooney to run into space - you click on Rooney but you miss the player and click just to the left or just to the right of him - what happens is that this ALTERS the ON THE BALL PLAYERS movement to "just to the left/just to the right" of Rooney. I will probably get better at it but just an annoyance so far.

Sounds intreging. I'm sure there will be a case of many broken windows and Wii remotes in the coming months

Hey Three1Six- How's the shooting? Have you gotten used to using the nunchuck for it?

Is the goalie still automatic during regular play?

Have you gotten to try multiplayer? Does online one on one show your opponent's arrows?

Shooting is a breeze - took no time to get used to - works quite well. Wish there was more of a way to place the ball - it's just a bit random on where the ball ends up but it's not too bad. Also, no finesse shots :(

GK is automatic - press A on the keeper to make him run out to the ball/close down the striker.

Played local multi-player, but online - going to wait for the English version before I tackle online (too difficult to navigate)

why did Konami include English text support for PS2/PS3/360 versions but not on Wii. They are so Random sometimes..

Hi

Has anyone looked into the edit mode yet? I just wondered how extensive/limiting it was? I hope you can change Team names and move players to the right teams. Are they using old Squads?

Also has anyone looked in the options to see if there is the possibility of changing some of the controls??

Cheers

Hi

Has anyone looked into the edit mode yet? I just wondered how extensive/limiting it was? I hope you can change Team names and move players to the right teams. Are they using old Squads?

Also has anyone looked in the options to see if there is the possibility of changing some of the controls??

Cheers

only being able to change team/players name and squad of Japan national team:((

only being able to change team/players name and squad of Japan national team:((

WTF. You cannot move players to different clubs. that is silly!!

this was stolen from gamefaqs forum

As for the keepers - I think they're about the same as in other versions. I've seen them spill a lot of stuff, completely miss crosses, and rush out gung-ho (without me pressing) to completely take out an opposition striker. On the flipside they sometimes make amazing saves.

My impressions in general after a while are much more favourable (as I expected them to be, still finding Smash Brothers **** btw MancunianRattlesnake, kindly stop bumming this game when you haven't played it). The passing works pretty well once you get the hang of it, and the game becomes almost as intuitive as the old Pro Evos. Here's a rundown:

Passing: Very instinctive, my only complaint would be that when you try to play a through ball without manually moving the player towards it beforehand for some reason it often goes very slowly. Fast passing is still possible with the controls.

Shooting: The worst aspect of the game by far - really, really, really bad. Almost ruins it in fact. It's like Fifa - if you get a good player in a half decent position and waggle the nunchuck, 3/4s of the time the ball flies in the top corner. It's really sad and makes build up play pointless a lot of the time, if you're just as likely to score from dead centre of the edge of the area. You also can't aim high or low.

Free kicks: Even worse than the general shooting. You just waggle the nunchuck and hope the computer scores for you. Why they couldn't include a power bar or some sort of aiming type control with the wiimote I do not know.

Defending: Feels much better now that I understand it better. Closing down is still a bit too difficult for my liking (probably to allow the attacking player some time to think) but it works by you clicking on players to mark. So you need to mark up players the opposition wants to pass to. The difficulty in closing down the player in possession or the loose ball makes it look and feel a little unnatural though, but controling the marking aspect is much more fun than I first thought. Slide tackling is very satisfying when times right because it's so difficult. Most online players don't seem to bother so it helps me win a lot.

Headers - a good way to score, but again - very little control over where they go. I also have yet to understand how to do passing headers - if, indeed, you can at all. The whole aerial situation is a bit of a lottery though.

Corners - ok, but moving around doesn't seem to help because you can have a striker surrounded by three defenders and still score.

Dribbling - gets much more natural once you get used to it. Still hard to play a dribbling game, but the controls for this aren't too bad, if a bit weird (having to hold the wiimote in front of your player and click to go fast - the nunchuck only moves him at walking pace).

guys can you confirm exactly what the edit mode is like. can you transfer players or change kits?

Simply this game is amazing, complete new expierance you feel you are in control of your team and player's must say this is so much better than the ps3 and xbox 360, I think nintendo is coming back to its old days....

I just got Winning Eleven 2008 Play Maker on the Nintendo Wii.

REVIEW:

Winning Eleven 2008 has finally made its debut on the Nintendo Wii. Lets take a look at this revolutionary new edition to the franchise by starting from the beginning.

The menu is in Japanese but has the english name written above it. This is rather small but it definetly helps when navigating the menu. At the beginning of the game I believe it asks you to create a save profile. I managed to change the letters from Kanji to English and save the game. From there I went ahead to select a friendly. The usual World Map shows up with the usual list of teams. No new international or club team additions here.

I chose England vs Portugal and moved onto another screen which I dont know about and then onto the settings. 10 minute match and I chose the Winning Eleven ball which is new to me since the last Winning Eleven game I played was Winning Eleven 10.

The next presented screen was the formation. This was when the game started to differ from other versions. Players are represented as big headed versions of themeselves. You can perform all the same things such as PK takers, FK takers, Captain etc. After selecting the formation I moved on to the actual match.

The game loads quite quickly. The two usual commentators from past Winning Eleven games were here in this version also. A noticable improvement over the PS2 version is the graphics which looked more vibrant and detailed. The game was running at 60hz 480i. Controls were at first complicated since I skipped the tutorial, but I soon got the basics.

Player movement is controlled via the Wii remote with an on screen pointer which is moved to change direction. By holding down A I was able to perform some good dribble moves. This can also be performed via the nunchuk but for me resulted in slower movement.

The B button handles passes and long balls along with the assoicated direction. By holding A and then pressing B after I was able to perform some nice one-twos.

Shooting and heading is issued by a upward flick of the nunchuk attachment. This takes some getting used to and in my opinion would have been better handled via a button press along with a power bar as in the PS3 and 360 versions.

Defense is another area where the game is affected by the lack of buttons. In order to issue defensive commands the cursor must be around the player you want to pick and A button pressed. While the A button is held down you can drag the cursor into the desired direction you want the defender to run to and intercept the ball. Perhaps better use of the Wii remote/nunchuk in this area would have made the use of defense much easier.

Penalty kicks on the other hand are dealt with superbly. Goalkeepers can now run along the line ala Dudek, Grobelaar. PK takers now have far increased accuracy with the cursor option. The only thing missing is a power bar option. This moves this area of the game closer to FIFA who I personally believe have Penalties spot on.

Edit mode only allows you to change the Japanesse national side. (No mention on whether this will be different for the PAL versions). Online play is relatively easy to set up and play and is lag free.

Overall the game has a steep learning curve. At first the controls will seem rather intimidating and confusing and cause your brain to shut down. This is particularly annoying at times when quick reactions are needed.

But after time you do get used to the controls. After that the game soon opens up and reveals a Winning Eleven/PES game like nothing experienced before. Never has such freedom of movement, passing or tactics been realised in previous installments. Once mastered players will be able to open up defensive positions and create spectular run sequences and breathtaking goals.

FINAL WORD: While the controls are hard to grasp at first, Winning Eleven 2008 Play Maker introduces new ways to play football that can lead to a deeper and more immersive experience over time. Even though there are some problems, this is the first version on a console that boasts full motion controls and im sure these will be ironed out in next years game.

While the traditional next gen versions of PES 2008 on the Sony Playstation 3 and Microsoft Xbox 360 may have dissapointed many this year we can but hope that the radical improvements offered in the Wii version can be seen by Seabass and co. After all Seabass himself has stated that they are going back to the drawing board for PES 2009. Maybe he can take a few leafs out of Greyhounds book.

Overall Final Score:

81%
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
can you actually direct the shooting though or is it a case of you flicking the wii-mote and the CPU does the rest?

also can you tranfer players or not?

Still waiting for my copy to arrive. I wouldnt be suprised if Konami leave out the edit mode on PAL/US copies.

can you actually direct the shooting though or is it a case of you flicking the wii-mote and the CPU does the rest?

also can you tranfer players or not?

Still waiting for my copy to arrive. I wouldnt be suprised if Konami leave out the edit mode on PAL/US copies.

Well you can direct the shots since you use the Wii remote to point the cursor then flick the nunchuk to perform the shot. As fro transfers I am unsure as its all in Japanese so its hard for me to understand.

Wow- that would be the dumbest thing Konami could do. I would imagine there would be quite an uproar - and not the good kind!

well if it is left out the japanese version why would they bother adding it in the PAL/US game. I can't see it happening mate.

Plus I have not seen one review mention edit mode yet. not even to say it is like the PS2 or 360/PS3 copy.

Can't wait for the Wii version to be released in the UK (only 9 days!) Went back to my PS3 version the other day and oddly decided to play it with an official PS2 controller. Bizzarely the players seem a lot more reactive and I started to score a lot more goals. Coincidence not sure but had a positive effect!

Anyone got the PSP version? I know this is a Wii thread but thought I'd ask just to see if anyone thinks its any good before I buy it.

Back
Top Bottom