UEFA Champions League 2014/2015

CSKA Moscow's Champions League home game with Manchester City is one of three fixtures the Russian club expect to play behind closed doors.

This is because of the violence perpetrated by fans before their 5-1 Group E defeat at Roma on 17 September.

CSKA were already due to play Bayern behind closed doors as punishment for racist chanting by fans last season.

"It is likely we will have to play all our home games behind closed doors," said CSKA general manager Roman Babaev.

"They [Uefa] could exclude us from the Champions League.

"We are going to do everything in our power to make sure this does not happen. At the moment, the whole club is going through a difficult time."

The club has been charged for the behaviour of their fans in Rome, where violent clashes with police, from which four officers and 13 stewards were left injured, forced the match to be halted.

Last season, CSKA were fined after their fans were found guilty of racist chanting during Champions League games with City and Viktoria Plzen.

City are due to play CSKA in Moscow on 21 October.

One thing I really don't understand is the amount of racist behaviour in some the countries of the former eastern block. They had barely any contact with people of other races, they aren't a major influx of immigration to those countries. Really don't know why the amount of racist scenes we see in the stadiums.

ps: I'm not saying that this does not happen in the western european countries, unfortunately it does and not saying that the governments aren't addressing the problem.

again bad refereeing in Real Madrid match and Ludogorec were really damaged in this game. After that hugely wrong offside call near the end commentator here in Croatia said for assistant referee: "Pa ovaj stvarno nema pojma" which roughly translates like: "That guy really doesn't know what he is doing"

Bayern steamrolling Roma atm. Benatia would've been of a great help to Roma's defense tonight, too bad he's not on the pitch... oh, wait...

EP-310219184.jpg&q=80&MaxW=550&MaxH=400&RCRadius=5

Luiz Adriano scores 5 goals tonight in match against BATE. Only Messi scored before 5 goals.
Also Luiz Adriano become first player who scored 4 goals in first time.
And also Luiz Adriano become best scorer in Shakhtar of all times (117 goals).
Shakhtar become first team that scored 6 goals in first time in away game.

Just a few days ago i was telling a friend i haven't seen Roma playing such beautiful football since the spalletti era.....
... Talk about deja vù.

Wow some amount of goals.

City continue to be pants, heard the pk was a bit soft, but jeez, they make hard work of this CL malarky.

FD

IMO it wasn't a penalty at all.
Perhaps City are not good enough in Europe (but why would they be ?), but refs shouldn't make it easier.

I was making exactly the same point about City-Spurs. There is no doubt that City are a better team, but they got their first two goals gifted by the ref.

This makes it a very uneven competition.

Are the refs doing that on purpose ? Of course not, everybody makes mistakes.

Last edited:
2012: all 4 played the CL semis
2013: dortmund instead of chelsea
2014: atletico instead of barça

I approve. :P

barça have been beaten by psg two weeks ago, though.

This year you can add Dortmund to the list again, imo they are a better CL team than Barca. They basically struggle in Bundesliga because teams park the bus against them but their CL opponents are happy to attack, leave space and get destroyed on the counter (not very wise).
But then I haven't seen much of Barca this season...

I think saying Dortmund are a better CL team than Barça is pure fantasy. Just ask the other teams/fans who they prefer to face.

I'd rather have Barça tbh, Facing Messi/Suarez would be less trouble than going against the compact high pressing block Dortmund usually sets-up.

I think saying Dortmund are a better CL team than Barça is pure fantasy. Just ask the other teams/fans who they prefer to face.

I'm not too high on Barca mostly because of their defense. It's very convenient to write this after tonights clasico but I don't think they have the ability to stifle the attacking play of quality teams they will meet in the CL quarters and onwards with their pressing game and their penalty box defending in positinal play is not top class either, I fear (Real for example, are not that good at pressing either, but noticably better in their own box).

Dortmunds pressure game should scare the crap out of anyone not trying to park th bus against them (BVB might be in real trouble if drawn against Chelsea or Atleti).

Also, while Barca boast a very dangerous front line, I am not convinced they will be able to consistently get the ball to their attackers in dangerous positions once they get to play other CL contenders and their solid defenses. Against Real they never (or rarely) managed to exert control over the game and (I don't evenm ean their usual amount of control), to me it felt like Real dictated the flow of the game, but I didn't pay too much attention, so might be mistaken.
Barca really miss peak Xavi. They seem to be playing quicker now and that may be the way to go with him gone/in decline.
Anyway the season is still young, there's always room to improve.

I rather face Dortmund/Bayern/RM as we know how to win in their backyard. No so at Camp Nou:COAT:

Sorry, but Arsenal don't really belong in this conversation, the way they are playing now,... they are not really CL contenders.

I'd rather have Barça tbh, Facing Messi/Suarez would be less trouble than going against the compact high pressing block Dortmund usually sets-up.

Exactly what I was thinking. Remember the first 30 minutes of the 2013 CL Final?

Back
Top Bottom