Trance / Dance / House Music Discussion

Just grabbed hold of one of those "Classic Trance" CDs that Ministry Of Sound throw out every year to generate a few more quid... It makes me so sad to listen to it.

I can't see there ever being a song that will, in my eyes (well, ears), that will live up to ATB - Til I Come, Alice Deejay - Better Off Alone, Sash - Encore Une Fois (French lessons at school were just kids saying "Miss, encore une fois?"), Chicane feat. Bryan Adams - Don't Give Up... There were a few that mix in classical music as well that I don't know the name of. Nothing will ever beat those, I don't think, most of the modern stuff is too "bump bump bump" for me. So sad.

Not the greatest trance album, by far, but a great introduction to people new to the genre.

Basically I'd say it's all about being UPLIFTING!

Some transe has vocals, but it's mainly about making you feel emotions without words. Rarley uses any natural instruments, it's all kinda keyboard stuff.

The thing that drew me to trance was literally how entrancing it is. Stringer, listen to Chemical Brothers - Let Forever Be - that was what got me into it (although it's not traditional trance, the melody and the instruments literally felt like they were entrancing me).

a few landmark tracks are:

bbe - seven days & one week (1996)
paul van dyk - for an angel (1998)
cher - believe (1998)
system f - out of the blue (1999)
armin - communication (1999)

trance was probably at it's most popular in 1999, with all the german and especially dutch producers like paul van dyk, ferry corsten, armin and tiesto ruling the scene.

from 1999, it has branched off (as most music genres tend to do) into a wide variety of directions. trance nowadys, is very different to trance back then.

Last edited:
The Age of Love
Humate - Love Stimulation
Energy 52 - cafe del mar
Sasha - Xpander
Jam & Spoon - follow me
Legend B - lost in love
Delerium - Silence

+ much stuff from Bonzai,Cosmic Baby,etc etc

/

...Trance....?!

PsyTrance,Chill,Mainstream (ATB & friends)....everyone got his own definition of "it"

Now can someone name me the top 10 trance songs thats been made.
I'd suggest you to look for some ATB or Blank & Jones tracks..

The following tracks could be not the best 10 ever (you know, de gustibus non disputandum est) but I'd list some ones that in my opinion are worth listening:

Blank & Jones - Mind of the wonderful
Paul Van Dyk - For an angel
System F - Out of the blue
Milk inc. - Walk on water (Peter Lutz rmx)
Dogzilla - Your eyes
Dark monks - Insane (Steve Murano rmx)
Paul Oakenfold - Southern sun (Tiesto rmx)
ATB - Let u go
Faithless - We come 1
Sash! - Encore un fois

Hope you like them!!

System F Lost In Motion :)
ATB Dont Stop (X-cabs Remix) Awesome!
Storm Time To Burn (Mauro Picotto Remix)
Mauro Picotto Pulsar

That was some of the good stuff, then you get shit like this!
Ian Van Dahl Castles In The Sky. What the fuck?
Divine Inspiration etc etc etc...

Ministry Of Sound I think is the cause of most of this. Lets encourage people to make shit tunes and call it trance.

it depends on how you see it.. IVD actually made some good stuff even if it's commercial. They made a deep change over the last years, but their style remains good.

I'd say 2003 was the year their change begun. Some of their recent songs, though not being trance ones, are still noticeable:
I can't let you go
Where are you now?
Just a girl

I liked the Michael Woods (Warrior) remix of Ian Van Dahls Try because it actually sounds like proper trance. Chuck out the cheesey tune and add something decent.

I need help

i was at global gathering over the weekend and was in one of the arenas when the music was mixed into champagne supernova

i dunno what arena i was in or who was playing :) but everyone in there starting singing along and the atmosphere was absolutely electric

Does anyone know of the song? haha

ill try and narrow down some of the DJs it could have been if i can find out what arena i was in ;)

Ive heard things like that too. I can also mix vocals from other songs into other trance tunes. My setup at home is.

Pioneer DJM500
Technics SL1210 M3Ds (Mark 3's)
and a Pioneer CDJ100s

Its great fun!

Okay, respect, thanks for the explanation guys.

Now can someone name me the top 10 trance songs thats been made.

I can name you 1 trance track to show off the genre:

DJ Tiesto - Suburban Train

Search that baby out and play it loud!

Other classic trance tracks that I can think of off the top of my head:

Verrococha - Carte Blanche
William Orbit - Barbers Adagio for Strings
Push - Strange World

Push Strange World the 2000 Remake is awesome, VeraCoche Carte Blanche is awesome and so is the Ferry Corsten Remix of Adagio... I dont like the Tiesto Remix yet people go mental over it!

For JB Trance Nation Anthems mixed by Judge Jules is the best one for you to get, ive got it in the car at the moment for when I drive to work and back. Its a decent mix of old skool trance tracks with a few cheesy ones and the odd Dodgy mix by Jules but its tonnes better than Other Ministry shit of late.

I can name you 1 trance track to show off the genre:

DJ Tiesto - Suburban Train

Search that baby out and play it loud!

Other classic trance tracks that I can think of off the top of my head:

Verrococha - Carte Blanche
William Orbit - Barbers Adagio for Strings
Push - Strange World

I would like to add a few more if may cos I have remembered them:

Binary Finary - 1999
Lost Tribe - Gamemaster
Lost Witness - Happiness Happening
Energy 52 - Cafe Del Mar

1999 Gouryella Remix is awesome!, Cafe Del Mar Three N One Mix is the greatest and happiness happening is one of my all time favourite Lange Remixes. Someone here obviously knows what they are talking about in the PROPER trance department Mr Clockender!

yes, "Carte blanche" has been a very interesting tune.

I used to like also "The sound of goodbye" by Perpetuous dreamer (especially the B&J remix) and "On the move" by Barthezz (I'm not a real fan of the original mix, but I still love the classy remix made by Dumonde).

@djdoc: well, maybe you're right. proper trance has nothing to do with some commercial stuff mentioned in here, but I still find some tunes really enjoyable, despite being commercial..

Last edited:
Kleimann its only my opinion mate. I found that after 2001 trance became far too commercial and as a result shitty remakes started to appear, then tunes became so simplistic and cheesy sounding that anyone could make a tune.... Ministry promoted all the bullshit after dropping decent DJ's from their Annuals and that leads us to how things are now. Ministry is still shit and not looking to change that.

Also where have some of the great artists gone? Where is Lange these days? Marc Et Claude? Storm? Electrique Boutique?

1999 Gouryella Remix is awesome!, Cafe Del Mar Three N One Mix is the greatest and happiness happening is one of my all time favourite Lange Remixes. Someone here obviously knows what they are talking about in the PROPER trance department Mr Clockender!

Well yeah the year 1999 was stand out for Trance and many of the tunes I have mentioned have been from that time. I have a great album in my collection which I consider to be the greatest trance album of all time:

http://www.discogs.com/release/13117

I recently got DJ Tiesto's latest album and it is class. Check it out.

Ah I thought you knew your stuff until you mentioned Clubbers Guide To Trance... Ive got this at home and some of the tunes are good some are seriously shit. The mixing is diabolical! ATB Cannot mix compilations for shit! Lots of pitch bending,lack of keeping records in time with one another and stupid sampling which is all out of time and sounds awful!

So on the strength of 1 album (that I think contains GREAT tunes) my temporary status of being a trance guru has ended.

Oh well, it was great while it lasted....;)

lol dude was only kidding. you know your stuff, you mentioned tunes that arent even on that album :)

That Clubbers Guide album, I haven't heard, but at least half the tunes on there I'd kick out some crazy old shapes to, oh yes. Night & Day "Let Me Know", I fucking love that.

In response to an earlier post, Lange is these days experimenting more with an electro-progressive trance sound, also known as Bollocks. Marc Et Claude are releasing less, but the last one I heard was diabolical eurodance. I don't think Storm or Electrique Boutique havehad any releases at all in the past few years, which is a shame as I'm a huge fan of Revelation by EB.

My opinion on a cracking old trance album is Meltdown 2000, mixed by some unknown DJ, here's a link to the tracklist - CLICK

Also, Total Euphoria, which is my favourite from the Euphoria series, this one is mixed by Dave Pearce, very well mixed too, the old pikelet he is - CLICK

On the new trance score, I love Andy Bagguley - Together As One (Michael Dow Remix) at the moment, and Project 6 - Lost

Back
Top Bottom