The TV Thread

2912913138_57375b8f5e.jpg

Doesn't look any different to me but I don't think I've seen a Thomson box.

I need some advice about optical switchers, I have this Toslink switcher and I'm a bit confused as to how I connect my PS3 and Sky box to it, in other words how many optical cables do I need?

No idea on opticial stuff tbh

So what you think so far Tobi ? remember when i got it put in on Discovery and some fantastic PQ shows more channels now though.

I didn't really watch anything HD for a long period yesterday, the only major thing I watched was in SD (Barca vs Atletico Madrid). Fringe starts today though so I'll watch that and a recorded Prison Break repeat.

SD looks noticeably better also, FX HD isn't a simulcast, no Breaking Bad or Burn Notice in HD? :((

No different, just the logo has changed above the middle bit.

Good stuff, hopefully I'll have one in my room for Christmas, or at the latest my birthday in March....just want a new TV now...

Are any of you guys having lip sync issues with your Sky boxes/HD channels?

FX HD has been unwatchable since Sunday for me, I watched Fringe on Anytime on Sunday night and once it got to 34 mins everything just fell apart. Luckily I recorded it on Sky 1 HD and that one didn't have any issues.

I've read on Digital Spy and the AV Forums about people complaining, some say its the boxes and some say its the channles it would be nice if Sky came out and said something.

On a brigther note NFL looks awesome in HD.

Are any of you guys having lip sync issues with your Sky boxes/HD channels?

FX HD has been unwatchable since Sunday for me, I watched Fringe on Anytime on Sunday night and once it got to 34 mins everything just fell apart. Luckily I recorded it on Sky 1 HD and that one didn't have any issues.

I've read on Digital Spy and the AV Forums about people complaining, some say its the boxes and some say its the channles it would be nice if Sky came out and said something.

On a brigther note NFL looks awesome in HD.

Ye as i said above the Samsung and Pace boxes have lip sync issues there people on Avforums complaining about it. I heard if you flick the channel forward and back it sorts out the problem.

I have Thompson apart from odd crash its been solid and no lip sync issues at all. :))

Sky really need to get stuff fixed its really shocking but not much surprise with Sky.

I'll try flicking back and forward, thanks.

Just been on Avforums someone said in last post that they are 2 weeks away from resolution so that probably be 2 months. :LOL:

It has
Audio Line IN (Optical):1
Audio Line IN (Coaxial):1
according to Sony UK site, so that's good, and you can get full 5.1 from your PS3, via optical :)

But, strangely no audio in via analog, so you can't directly connect your TV to it for sound. You need to do it via the Scart-in I think.

I've got that system, its very good and easy to set up.

http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...B_CONSUMER/DVD-home-theatre-system+HTS3367-05

guess this one is not very useful for ps3 and xbox than as it has no optical in?
is there some kind of converter to get the ps3 hooked up to this?

i prefer the overall spec of this, but if it does not work with my consoles it's useless

i guess i'll better go with the sony, it's cheaper and if it works out of the box with the ps3 i guess that's the one to use

/another edit:

i found out that there are indeed optical to coax converters, pretty cheap ones. are they any good or is it just a shit method that will give shit results in the end?
this kind of:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29293&criteria=optical&doy=15m6

people here seem to report they work well, but i am not sure? http://www.avforums.com/forums/all-one-systems/269062-optical-digital-coax-convertors.html

Last edited:
definately more and especially more positive user reviews, tests seem to prefer philips in terms of finishing quality and sound...i'd go straight away with it if it had an optical in, but as it doesn't i am not sure. i might just order both and try them :EMB:

Our new Toshiba 42Z3030D arrives today, the wife also went out and bought Fifa09 for me on her lunch break, so Fifa09 in full 1080P 100hz glory to come later!

Our new Toshiba 42Z3030D arrives today, the wife also went out and bought Fifa09 for me on her lunch break, so Fifa09 in full 1080P 100hz glory to come later!

It's awesome, loving the 100hz processor it has, everything is so smooth, response times in Fifa seem much enhanced with the TV :)

Told you. :)

Playing Everybody's Golf (where you've got a timing bar that you have to click in the middle at both ends if you know what I mean) on our Toshiba in the front room, I hit at LEAST 20% more of my shots straight. Then I plug it into the bedroom Samsung again and I'm down 40% until I remember that there's a bit of lag that you wouldn't imagine was there otherwise.

That 100hz option makes a big difference, I would recommend Toshibas for gaming over everything else.

Told you. :)

Playing Everybody's Golf (where you've got a timing bar that you have to click in the middle at both ends if you know what I mean) on our Toshiba in the front room, I hit at LEAST 20% more of my shots straight. Then I plug it into the bedroom Samsung again and I'm down 40% until I remember that there's a bit of lag that you wouldn't imagine was there otherwise.

That 100hz option makes a big difference, I would recommend Toshibas for gaming over everything else.

You did good sir, even SD video looks awesome on it due to the processor, was watching Dawson v Tarver (that's a boxing fight Chris) and it's stunningly smooth.

Burn Notice and Breaking Bad both say HD in the programme banner but they look dull, their is no sharpness at all.

Burn Notice is set in Miami but compared to CSI Miami on five it looks poor.

Right, I'm after a bit of help guys...

My mum bought This TV, the twat in the shop blatantly lied to her and said it doesn't need an aerial, so he's a cock for a start. Next, I've got an aerial that we tried on the TV in her room, and all it picked up was 2 analogue channels, no digital, no freeview or anything.

So then I tried it in my room, (about 20 yards away from her room), and it picked up all 5 analogue channels, plus 3 or 4 digital channels. From this I take it that mum's room is just a bad signal area, but what can we do to improve the reception there? Signal boosters or something? Or will it just be easier to move the Sky box from my room to her room, (I don't watch it in my room anymore). How much are Sky likely to charge for this etc?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks :)).

Back
Top Bottom