The TV Thread

@ Jaym, have you got any speakers (stereo/hometheater) near the tv? I had that a couple of weeks ago an a fairly new sony crt. Have had the speakers near it for ages but for some reason i got the green tint going through it. Moved the speaker and left it for a day and then it was fine again. Supposedly to do with magnetic fields. Also read that you can use a magnet and make circular motions from outside to in to "reset" them. Dont know if it works though. Worth a try to save some money.
I did have a set of speakers and a subwoofer near the TV, they had been there for a few months though so it's strange it would only happen now. I've moved them anyway and unplugged the TV and I'll leave it until the morning.:)

If that fails I'll see if I can find some magnets and try your suggestion.

Ash have Tosh got the full specs anywhere??

Toshiba X-Series

4353-XSeries1.jpg

Next up is the X series, which ships in 32, 37 and 42in sizes. The X series represents the step up to serious high definition with a 1,920 x 1,080 Full HD panel and the ability to accept 1080p signals at 24, 50 and 60Hz. With more devices starting to output 1080p, this is an important and necessary step for Toshiba and pretty much every other TV manufacturer right now.

It’s also worth noting that the X series will feature HDMI 1.3, so there’s support for Deep Colour, assuming you have a compatible source device and software.

Talking of cost, early indications are that the 37in will ship at £999 with the 42in coming in at a very reasonable £1,199.
Yooohooo! That is a nice price!

Toshiba Z-Series
4353-ZSeries.jpg

High-end version, with M100 (100hz esque technology, 3xHDMI as opposed to X series 2xHDMI. All 1.3 HDMI. 37in, with sizes running all the way up to 57in, with 42, 47 and 52in in between.

The latter was first seen on the WLT68 series and creates a 100Hz image by inserting composite frames between each actual frame. The result is a near eradication of the dreaded motion smearing that often affects LCD screens. I’ve got to say that I’m a bit disappointed that Active Vision M100 isn’t also present in the X series, but I guess Toshiba wants to have a clear differentiator for the flagship model.

Early pricing indications suggest around £1,500 for the 40in and £1,800 for the 46in, which is pretty reasonable if the final product looks anywhere near as good as the mock up

I'm kind of confused about the picture frame model, I think it is the X-series but in a nicer fascia with thin frame, which looks great, like the plasma panels.

@JayM
Yep, that is true. Some speakers have this effect on CRTs.
And thanks for that link! \\:o/ :applause:

Zed's dead baby Zed's dead good, looking at those, saying the same thing as Sony with the "near" eradication of the dreaded blur... Seems both Sony 3000 and Tosh's Z's will be the ones to check out, the 3 HDMI slots sound good and I hope they are easy to get to the connections on my mate's Set's are a pain to get to unless you can get round behind the screen and kneel down!!
Prices look fantastic as you can almost guarantee Sony will be a K more!!

I wonder if I could take the silver stand from the X series and put it on the Z.:-k Infact the whole styling of the X is better.:-s

The Z series, available in Darth Vader black.
Lets hope it does not make the noises too, says on the spec's I've found 120mhz for the Z!
Wall mounting on a tilt and swivel is what I'd love to do but what to do with the cables, the only thing I can think of doing is chop into the wall and then re plaster!!

JayM would be very surprised if it turns out to be your speakers nearly always shielded unless they are old ones?

I've got the exact same problem on one of my TVs. So do magnets fix that?

JayM would be very surprised if it turns out to be your speakers nearly always shielded unless they are old ones?

It happend with my home theaterset thats not even a year old with a tv thats at most 2/3 years old (both sony). Looked it up on the net and followed the advice i gave jay and it worked for me. Was already thinking the same as him and looking at a new tv.

I wonder if I could take the silver stand from the X series and put it on the Z.:-k Infact the whole styling of the X is better.:-s

By that do you mean the normal X series, or the slimline.pictureframe one?

Mmm... I don't like that bit of silver on the normal X.

Black is the new silver :) White is just a pretender.

I'm gonna buy a 27" AOC to act as a stop gap before buying a 1080p screen in August.

I'm not expecting much for this price but it's all I have right now. :) It will probably only be used for my Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, so it won't be too bad.

Link

Agreed. For AV products, it's (piano) black all the way. I was gonna get a white Samsung 23" a while back - so glad I decided against it though as it'll end up looking like a monitor :eh:

By piano black you mean as not in glossy black cos that looks nice, but impractical with sunlight, lights etc.

Yeah I prefer non-glossy for practical use.

Check out the NintyDS thread guys please to help me :)

Wow, that TV's pretty cheap for what it can do. I wouldnt worry about the Z series TV too much. Motion blur is something that very hard to reduce on LCDs even if it comes with 100hz+.

But even if you do decide on waiting till september, I'd like to point out that Sony are also releasing their own TV (currently named the KDL40HD1080) which I'm expecting to be the TV to get.

But even if you do decide on waiting till september, I'd like to point out that Sony are also releasing their own TV (currently named the KDL40HD1080) which I'm expecting to be the TV to get.

Mmm... I doubt it somehow, it will have some problems, and will be pricey.

I am in a limbo between the X-series and Z-series Toshiba myself! The Z will be more expensive, you can get the X for under 900 I think...

Yeah I prefer non-glossy for practical use.

Check out the NintyDS thread guys please to help me :)

have you guys ever ownend a glossy black panel? I have two and you get used to both of them and they dont bother at all after your used to them. I can see how at first you might be distracted, but now I dont notice at all.... LCD tv's take a while to get used too, for the first month i did not like my samsung LCD, but now its awesome and Im very happy with the purchase... i thought an HDMI cable wouldnt matter that much but it sure cleaned up the picture for me... i think i might have had some interference with the component cables..

Mmm... I doubt it somehow, it will have some problems, and will be pricey.
The full specs havent been revealed yet but if its got everything the D3000 has but with 1080p with Motionflow and the XMB, I dont care what the price is.

Damn they just keep getting cheaper...unless it's a Sony, that means the 42" should be under £2K, great, I found a good tilt and turn bracket for under £200 too, some Duo77's a player and and an amp.... I'll be broke but happy!

The Sony looks like it will have the true 24p movie mode too... hmmmmm

The full specs havent been revealed yet but if its got everything the D3000 has but with 1080p with Motionflow and the XMB, I dont care what the price is.

You don't care about price?
Go for the Fujisu plasmas, they are the best TVs out there. Or the Fujitsu or Loewe LCDs :) I've seen them, and they look great.
I hope you don't take a loan ;)

You don't care about price?
Go for the Fujisu plasmas, they are the best TVs out there. Or the Fujitsu or Loewe LCDs :) I've seen them, and they look great.
I hope you don't take a loan ;)

Within a reasonable limit of course. I cant see 40 inch LCDs costing more than £3000.

fucking shit that is ridiculous! I paid 759.630 GBP for a samsung 1080p 40 inch lCD. $1500 american. Are tv's that expensive over there?

:shock: I just paid £1500 for a Samsung 1080p 40 inch LCD a couple of months ago...

If anyone wants a tv grab the Sony W TV. I got the 40W2000 after seeing it on our PS3 pod and it looks awesome! Its under £1400 from most places online, and so far have had fantastic results with PS3 or Sky.

Is that the new one that just came out, with a very reflective screen? That in UK is now about 1.2k.

True, we do get ripped off. But we have to pay 17.5% tax, we have a queen and we also have a stronger currency so when we go on holiday to America....

i think it was one of the first 1080p lcd samsungs out, i beleive it was a 2006 model.

Back
Top Bottom