The 'Things That Piss Me Off' Thread

Modern football.

My team are playing a friendly against Bristol City tomorrow afternoon and for the pleasure of parting with £10 to Bristol City I can watch a live stream of it! Every single chance football gets it's take everything you can off the fans.

!

Shite eBay/FB Marketplace/Gumtree listings.

"TV, £10". With one grainy picture.

Make? Model? Dimensions? Inputs?

I was looking for a TV, gave up, bought a new one. Sold the old one I was replacing for far more than it's worth, and I'm sure it's because the advert had, y'know, stuff you might want to know when buying a TV.

Shite eBay/FB Marketplace/Gumtree listings.

"TV, £10". With one grainy picture.

Make? Model? Dimensions? Inputs?

I was looking for a TV, gave up, bought a new one. Sold the old one I was replacing for far more than it's worth, and I'm sure it's because the advert had, y'know, stuff you might want to know when buying a TV.
Heard this TV is up for grabs in the UK ,Leeds area if I'm not mistaken.
Screenshot_2021-07-19-22-22-15-185_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox~2.jpg

Evo web stopping me talking about pirates. I love pirates and pirate films, such as pirates of the Caribbean.
Did they not mention it? you are no longer permitted to talk about United as they are the red devils, and none are more devilish than a pirate! :PIRATE:

(Lame joke, but i raise your lame joke)

I really like seagulls...

Truly, I do. What other animals can perform the Riverdance so well?

Or a tap-dance routine?

When I was a kid, they were called "pit-pats" and whenever you saw a seagull doing it, you had to shout "PIT-PAT PIT-PAT PIT-PAT" as quickly as you could, in your highest-pitched voice. The person who could say the most within a few seconds (it's hard to speed up with all those Ts to annunciate) was the winner.

...I say "as a kid". I still do it now.

Di9NFo7.png

Don't know how it's been this summer over in the UK (probably the same as here) but this year it's been insane with the seagulls ,never bothered me before ,this year 24/7 screaming ,and they (some) just had kids (normally earlier) so it's an insane racket

Is that Begbie from Trainspotting wanting to "silence" or "wipe out"the seagulls?
I'd take that serious if I was nicking falafels (throw glass)
View attachment 111111

God I wish it was Begbie from Trainspotting. At least then it might be entertaining.

I'm adding local journalist Scott Begbie to the list of things that piss me off.

I did my uni placement at the Press and Journal (the local broadsheet), which shared an office with its sister paper, Evening Express ("the comic", as the P&J writers called it). He sat right at the divide, exuding smugness from every pore. Looks like a man who would eat his own shit.

As an aside, when I was working there, I interviewed Carol Smillie about her production of the Vagina Monologues. Just the job for a young, prudish philistine. It was over the phone, a channel I've bashed in this very thread as being one I'm uncomfortable with and always have been. I was an absolute disaster. Thankfully, Carol Smillie is a an angel and accounted for every one of my failings.

If you're reading this, Carol - thank you.

Did a quick search but couldn't find this being mentioned previously.

This is a huge annoyance to me. Really, really pisses me off:

The fact that the dialogue in films is whisper-quiet, compared to the volume of the explosions that blast your ears off.

Over the years I've switched on every form of "audio-levelling" technology to try and fix this. Makes sod-all difference.

In a cinema, I get it, even though it makes you shit yourself. When it's a home release via Netflix or Bluray... WHY??

I want to be able to hear what they're saying, without making the neighbours think a wall's just collapsed when there's an action scene.

In a cinema, I get it, even though it makes you shit yourself. When it's a home release via Netflix or Bluray... WHY??
One thing that pisses me off is the fact that subtitles has gone down the toilet with streaming services ,I usually have them on for all sorts of films/shows even English speaking one's.
Some are so bad that not only do they miss references but looks like it's Google translate.

Read somewhere that the services they use to hire is pretty much gone since it's cheaper using some central service somewhere.
Only a matter of time before books gets the shaft too.

You know "Bob's your uncle" will most of the times be "this is your cousin/uncle Robert"
Horrible!

Last edited:
I want to be able to hear what they're saying, without making the neighbours think a wall's just collapsed when there's an action scene
Oh yes! I watched The Tomorrow War recently. Had to go up and down to 40 volume during dialogues and 15 when shit was blowing up, while trying not to wake the daughter up.
In the past it used to be a sign of crap quality files, nowadays its almost a norm.
I think The Tomorrow War was slaughtered for their audio online.

Oh yea, and I'm really pissed of by the dumb (or p) german TV stations.

If it is a news show or a documentary show, no matter. White (for example) letters on a white background in such a size.

damn bastards...

Did a quick search but couldn't find this being mentioned previously.

This is a huge annoyance to me. Really, really pisses me off:

The fact that the dialogue in films is whisper-quiet, compared to the volume of the explosions that blast your ears off.

Over the years I've switched on every form of "audio-levelling" technology to try and fix this. Makes sod-all difference.

I want to be able to hear what they're saying, without making the neighbours think a wall's just collapsed when there's an action scene.

And if it's on a tv channel rather than a streaming service the volume goes up another level again when the adverts come on!

One thing that pisses me off is the fact that subtitles has gone down the toilet with streaming services ,I usually have them on for all sorts of films/shows even English speaking one's.
Some are so bad that not only do they miss references but looks like it's Google translate.

Read somewhere that the services they use to hire is pretty much gone since it's cheaper using some central service somewhere.
Only a matter of time before books gets the shaft too.

You know "Bob's your uncle" will most of the times be "this is your cousin/uncle Robert"
Horrible!

I would say the English one's seem ok on Netflix but then as I don't know what's actually being said I guess I can't really be sure. I hope so because I much prefer to watch it in the proper language with subtitles, don't like to watch them dubbed, just doesn't seem right to hear some regional English accent on a series/film made elsewhere.

WOuldn't surprise me if it was some cheap do them all service. You really need a bilingual speaker to cacth those nuances and idiosyncrasies of each language as you said.

And if it's on a tv channel rather than a streaming service the volume goes up another level again when the adverts come on!

I would say the English one's seem ok on Netflix but then as I don't know what's actually being said I guess I can't really be sure. I hope so because I much prefer to watch it in the proper language with subtitles, don't like to watch them dubbed, just doesn't seem right to hear some regional English accent on a series/film made elsewhere.

WOuldn't surprise me if it was some cheap do them all service. You really need a bilingual speaker to cacth those nuances and idiosyncrasies of each language as you said.
It used to be so much better ,people who were skillful and had knowledge of languages were translating ,and use to be somewhat a prestigious job.
I've seen some horrible stuff on Amazon (doesn't suprise me since their employees has to piss in a bottle instead of a bathroom).

I'd look out for some examples if it pops up , thinking of it ,it's quite common in sports documentaries ,where you know the terms etc ,but it's translated so poorly ,word for word basically

Back
Top Bottom