The Retrogaming Thread! [8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/64-bit]

Then it is the first next big thing Fighting Genre again, Dragon Ball Z : Hyper Dimension.
Again only Japan and French versions. Here we have a decent story mode, starting from Namek Saga, Piccolo VS Frieza fight, and ending with Goku VS Kid Buu fight. Almost all DBZ sagas. The roster is poor, 10 characters only, but the fighting system is heavily reworked, no split screen, but better battle mechanics.

It looks odd to me, cause i played the JAP, FRA versions only back then, so i have zero clue what the text of the story says!! :P

And next the first Dragon Ball Z JRP, turned based battle system, unique battle system with cards. Really very unique. It is a typical JRPG with "free"-roaming world and random encounters for grinding, besides the event encounters. The game was a JAPAN exclusive, so the translations are all fan made.

Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiya Densetsu (translated as DBZ: Legend of the Super Saiyan​

The story mode obviously starts from Saiyan Saga, arrive of RAditz and it ends after the final battle on Namek against Frieza. The game tries to stay as faithfull to the manga/anime as possible, but as it was released in 1992, while the Z anime was from 1989 to 1996, it was too fresh, i do not know, maybe the Namek Saga was running together with the game release, so after the ending, after you beat Frieza , a special event is a little bit different.

Although the game is almost, 3 NES DBZ rpg games, in one edition, it is veeery long, with a bad RNG encounters, you can have 2 random encounters in the same 10 seconds.

My special story about this game is, this game has BP=Battle Power Levels, which are trying to stay as faithfull to the anime as possible. In anime they had BP levels from Saiyan saga, until middle Frieza Saga, then it went crazy and power balancing went to the Sky.

So in the beginning of Saiyan saga, when Radtiz attacks, Goku has around 470 BP, Piccolo around 450 and Raditz has around 800. Then in Attack of the Saiyans, Nappa has about 1,500BP , Vegeta has around 4,000BP, that goes up to 9,000BP or 12,000BP. So if you are not familiar with DBZ, the heroes are underpowered, they struggle, they train, and then they overpower the bad guys. In Frieza Saga, Frieza starts with 500,000 BP and in his last form he has around 1,500,000 BP while Super Saiyan Goku has from 1,500,000 to 4,000,000 BP ( after that point starts the chaos!)

So in my case, i was grinnding a lot, and was a little bit more powerfull then needed according to the anime. In the NAMEK saga, i was trapped in a loop, there was a point were you had to go GOHAN to the NAMEK Guru ,to awake his hidden potential, mutlipying his power. You had to pass through a caveto find Namek Guru. In my case, the tile sets of the map were the same in the cave entrance and exit. SO each time i reached the spot where i got out the cave, i though that i did a loop and i was in the entrance. So i was getting back in cave, which tile set map was like a maze. I started drawing the map in a notepad with my pencil, to create the map and monitor what i was doing wrong.

This resulted me, playing for months , grinnding the hell out of the game, going from 15,000 BP to 100,000 BP. After months, one day by accident, when i did the usual loop, instead of retung back to the cave, i moved 2 steps down, and i noticed 2 trees that were not in the entrance. I realised that all this time i was reaching the exit of the cave and all i had to do was, move 2 steps below. I never did this, cause as i was exiting the cave and though i was in the same spot, i was going back inside the cave.

So once i went to Guru to multipliy my power, the game glicthed, caused obviously it was not intended to be SO POWERFULL with that characters. So my character capped to his maximum BP, i think it was 1,999,999 for Gohan or 2,999,999 BP. From that position i was oneshoting every enemy, i was even stronger than SonGoku when he arrived from the Otherworld with Kaioken!

Only during the last battle against Frieza i had some resistance, cause Frieza last form had around 4,000,000BP, but after i transformed with SonGoku to Super Saiyan Jin, his power went to 4,999,999.

After i killed Frieza, i unlocked a special ending, you had to fight agaisnt Super Vegeta, this was not part of the Anime. Super Vegeta had around 6,000,000BP, there was a way to win him with some special cards, BUT i had a problem there, the ROM modder, had not translated that part of the game, so it was in Japanese!!! :P

I finally managed to win him with the help of SAVE STATES of the emulator, but i lost a lot of heroes from my party, which Vegeta killed in the process!!! :)

Also a FunFAct here: As the original NES game, was released before the episode was broadcasted, so in the original NES game, there was not stil Super SAiyan Transformation. That resulted in the SNES , which was like a "remaster", when Goku and Vegeta transformed to Super Saiyans, they did not changed the hair style modes to the sprites, but just recoloured their Saiyan Sprites hairstyles , from black to yellow. Thats why GOKU has the same hairstyle , when he becomes SSj and not the upside spiked yellow hair, and Vegeta wears his old Saiyan suit, with extended shoulder!

Last edited:
I like them at the time, very much, because it was very DBZ lookalike. But the gameplay really gets older.
Only the very last they've made on Snes with a regular 2D fighting game gameplay is still good and playable.
Edit 2 it's Hyper Dimension you posted : but like i said better to play on a Jap hack translated, it's faster.

And of course, the 2 RPG versions. There's one starting with the very first Dragon Ball in isometric 3D first time he met bulma. I don't think it's the same as you posted... I think it end at the end of Dragon Ball before Z.
EDIT / It's sure : there's no "Super Saiyan" mentionned on the name, it's the sequel that you've played, i never heard of it

BTW, it's always better to take a Japanese version translated to get the real speed : before when you played at 50 fps for some game in PAL, they didn't make the effort to rebalance the game by 20% speed in more. No, it was slower by 1/5 from the original Snes game.

Also, about Emulation, one Snes system wasn't used at the time, or should i say the cartdrige format : the chip who handled FastRom.
I checked, and atm there's a guy named "Victor Vilela" who restore every game that didn't used that system making 33% faster the Snes. So in fact, the Snes was way faster than what we thinked about it, but the concepters of games weren't aware of that system.
Only 33 games use it (i don't know the games btw)

Also, he released a widescreen version of Super Mario World : only one emulator runs it, it's Bsnes-HD. It's a bit ugly on the vid as there isn't filter, and without filter you will have big pixels, but it's just to show the work :

ATM it's the list of game he remade, there's no slowdown, 60fps, hyper fluidity, i founded on a pack a tooked notes :
-Arcana
-Axelay
-Cacoma Knight in Bizzy land (never heard of that game)
-Contra III
-F-Zero
-Gradius III
-Lost Vikings 2
-Megaman X
-Megaman X2
-Race Drivin'
-Super Castlevania VI (2 versions : uncensored and normal)
-Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts (i already got it from another guy who made hack, fixing all slowdown : game changer)
-Super Mario World
-Super R-Type
-U.N. Squadron

I got the pack, but that guy continue to restore all the game with necessity to have that "FastRom" feature.
Don't known if i can attach file with all the roms or send a link here. PM me if you want that pack of roms. But it's foundable +- easy on the net if you use the good words to research.

Got also a fullscreen patch of Super Mario Kart as the screen was divided by two. It didn't worked on the Recalbox or Batocera emulator, only on my Snes9X advanced version.

Last edited:
I like them at the time, very much, because it was very DBZ lookalike. But the gameplay really gets older.
Only the very last they've made on Snes with a regular 2D fighting game gameplay is still good and playable.
Edit 2 it's Hyper Dimension you posted : but like i said better to play on a Jap hack translated, it's faster.

And of course, the 2 RPG versions. There's one starting with the very first Dragon Ball in isometric 3D first time he met bulma. I don't think it's the same as you posted... I think it end at the end of Dragon Ball before Z.
EDIT / It's sure : there's no "Super Saiyan" mentionned on the name, it's the sequel that you've played, i never heard of it

BTW, it's always better to take a Japanese version translated to get the real speed : before when you played at 50 fps for some game in PAL, they didn't make the effort to rebalance the game by 20% speed in more. No, it was slower by 1/5 from the original Snes game.

Also, about Emulation, one Snes system wasn't used at the time, or should i say the cartdrige format : the chip who handled FastRom.
I checked, and atm there's a guy named "Victor Vilela" who restore every game that didn't used that system making 33% faster the Snes. So in fact, the Snes was way faster than what we thinked about it, but the concepters of games weren't aware of that system.
Only 33 games use it (i don't know the games btw)

Also, he released a widescreen version of Super Mario World : only one emulator runs it, it's Bsnes-HD. It's a bit ugly on the vid as there isn't filter, and without filter you will have big pixels, but it's just to show the work :

ATM it's the list of game he remade, there's no slowdown, 60fps, hyper fluidity, i founded on a pack a tooked notes :
-Arcana
-Axelay
-Cacoma Knight in Bizzy land (never heard of that game)
-Contra III
-F-Zero
-Gradius III
-Lost Vikings 2
-Megaman X
-Megaman X2
-Race Drivin'
-Super Castlevania VI (2 versions : uncensored and normal)
-Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts (i already got it from another guy who made hack, fixing all slowdown : game changer)
-Super Mario World
-Super R-Type
-U.N. Squadron

I got the pack, but that guy continue to restore all the game with necessity to have that "FastRom" feature.
Don't known if i can attach file with all the roms or send a link here. PM me if you want that pack of roms. But it's foundable +- easy on the net if you use the good words to research.

Got also a fullscreen patch of Super Mario Kart as the screen was divided by two. It didn't worked on the Recalbox or Batocera emulator, only on my Snes9X advanced version.
I assume you mean those, yeah those are different, it is always a mess, due to the Japanese names, like the mess with early ISS, ISSpro, ISS PES, PES..

Dragon Ball Z: Super Gokuden: Totsugeki-Hen

Dragon Ball Z: Super Gokuden: Kakusei-Hen

To be honest , i never played them, due to isometric camera. And i never found proper translation back then. MAybe i should check them today. :)

Also @vialli82 IIRC i once played fixed speed Super MArio and it was so fluid that i couldn't control inertia, i was falling in the void all time. I do not know, it sounds wierd, but when you get used to the slight input lag of the OG games, it feels different when it is "more responsive". erally strange to explain! :)

Last edited:
I got it but in french as i was the guy who installled Rasberry with all game on it, in Belgium french side... Otherwhise i can finish an RPG in english without problem. But i'm not sure having the second you posted... I think i just wanted to try the first. Knowing that turn by turn won't keep me long in front of my TV.
But it looks less good that the version you've played. And the Isometric cam doesn't matter as it's a turn by turn RPG well, the real appellation i remember is simply "Classic Rpg". Action-Rpg aren't turn by turn, like Zelda or Secret of Mana, also Secret of Evermore. I ranked them on my Snes9X folder by style.

-Action-Rpg (direct fights)
-Classic-Rpg (turn by turn fights)
-Dungeon-RPG (Screen by screen, often on Dungeon. Example > Might and Magic / AD&D - Eye of the Beholder. There's a lot on PC)
Example, with Might and Magic II :

-Tactical-RPG (Japanese people were big fans of it, me not that much, but here's some example below.)

Tactical RPG are game like this:

You can also considers Theme Park as a tactical RPG for example, no need violence or whatever

Note : all exemple were from Snes, to stay in the thread. Snes got the biggest RPG catalog you can found on any console. But tons are in Japanese. Personnally i try to found A-RPG translated, the rest i just play for one try, but don't go very far. It's annoying me quickly.

I got it but in french as i was the guy who installled Rasberry with all game on it, in Belgium french side... Otherwhise i can finish an RPG in english without problem. But i'm not sure having the second you posted... I think i just wanted to try the first. Knowing that turn by turn won't keep me long in front of my TV.
But it looks less good that the version you've played. And the Isometric cam doesn't matter as it's a turn by turn RPG well, the real appellation i remember is simply "Classic Rpg". Action-Rpg aren't turn by turn, like Zelda or Secret of Mana, also Secret of Evermore. I ranked them on my Snes9X folder by style.

-Action-Rpg (direct fights)
-Classic-Rpg (turn by turn fights)
-Dungeon-RPG (Screen by screen, often on Dungeon. Example > Might and Magic / AD&D - Eye of the Beholder. There's a lot on PC)
Example, with Might and Magic II :

-Tactical-RPG (Japanese people were big fans of it, me not that much, but here's some example below.)

Tactical RPG are game like this:

You can also considers Theme Park as a tactical RPG for example, no need violence or whatever

Note : all exemple were from Snes, to stay in the thread. Snes got the biggest RPG catalog you can found on any console. But tons are in Japanese. Personnally i try to found A-RPG translated, the rest i just play for one try, but don't go very far. It's annoying me quickly.
Basically i was always fan of the Chrono Trigger/FF turn based system. After i like the POKEMON games system, which i just found has aged badly at the moment. I need them to implemet ATB (Active Time Battle) gauge system, like FF and CT .

Another RPG i like on SNES, which i believe had a lot cultural impact in early 90s video gaming community was the Mother Series.

The first Mother was on NES,

The second which i played a lot was the Mother II: EARTHBOUND , best known in Western people as just EARTHBOUND. It was my beloved one, with many features that were after borrowed by other RPG games.

Then there is a Mother III for GBA, Japanese only translation, which back then in 2007 i was waiting for an 100% translation patch. I assume after all these year, there will be a complete translation. Really strange that this version never came to West, as it was very highly requested by the fans! :THINK:

P.S./O.T.: Still today, there is a huge demanc for a Mother game on Switch, but Nintendo is stuborn enough to reflect the players request, for some reason they only know! :(

Last edited:
Just thought of another beauty on the Sega master system : The Ninja.

Not an easy game.
I remember climbing a wall and enemies coming at you from all different sides and angles.
You had to continue your climb and at the same time through shuriken to them.
That meant doing multiple things at the same time....instead i always just panicked.

Great game though.

Super hard lol. There's also an arcade version with i think more stages.
I finished both with illimited continues on SMS.

A bit like Rambo II / Secret Commando (same game, one with Rambo licence, one without. it was frequent in SMS games or even Megadrive)
Check the differences... I dont even think there's difference except one or two colors (except the title)

Rambo II

Secret Commando

If Rambo seems faster, seems like it's the 50/60 hz difference, the US vs the EU version.
Well, it's still less hard than The Ninja.

I was a big fan of these games, especially the original Might and Magic (not to be confused with heroes, lol).

Might and Magic 3 the Isles of Terra I've literally played hundreds of hours of this game. Available for SNES and PC. Even though the interface might feel a bit clunky by today's standards, once you get used to it and have the patience to work with it, you will find a very rewarding game. One of the things I loved most about this game is that you could really tell the difference between the classes, mage, monk, warrior, rogue, etc.. they were all very differentiated, also who can forget the funny faces they made when their status changed etc..

Another thing I thought was cool was that the story was very mysterious,,, you were dropped in a city called fountain head with little to no information, and you slowly discovered the story as you went along, that was cool. ;)

Well.... We don't really have in Belgium the same stuff as College/High School (let's say that we got one school for 6 to 11-12 "Primary school" and 12 to 18 "Secondary school")
I could say, 1997-98 when it's out? Well...
I didn't got my PC before 2004-2005, because i restarted lessons about "computer scientist" stuffs (well, the diplome is completely obsolete now hahaha). Not that i wasn't interested, but it was expensive here, a bit too much. I didn't got parent really interested by it, my father was much more about cars and all.

We should have the same age perhaps or i got a year older than you mate @crustcyb :LOL:

I didn't even now when that version was out btw. I use Nestopia aswell on windows than i assign it on Recalbox for Nes.

@millossobek the thing interesting in Might and Magic game, was that those type of game was practically "PC Only". A bit like Command and Conquers.
So we were super happy to get the opportunity to play those games on Snes, later on PSX (tons of PC ports), some on Megadrive or even NES/SMS.

Man this thread is fantastic. I'd like to expand on my experience with both 8 and 16 bit games but I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment lol. So many great recounts.

Just one thing.. about the Dragon Ball post @slamsoze .. for how messy it was, Super Saiyan Densetsu was one of THE games of my boyhood. Me and my best friend were both crazy with Dragon Ball and with turn RPGs.. so we played it togheter for so damn long lol, we even skipped school once or twice. I think the battle music and "exploration" theme will forever be carved in my mind.

Regarding the game itself, I remember we grinded too so much we defeated Frieza in the final battle without even transforming in SSj (although it indeed took a good while, and unfortunately we never discovered the Guru glitch, so we surely went longer than you lol). Me and my friend used to day dream about a game like this that would cover the whole saga Z from Frieza to Majin Bu.. but it never happend of course lol.

By the way, there are a number of let's say prequel games (always from Bandai of course) on Nes that are more or less on this style, maybe less on the free exploration but decisely for the rpg/card combat system and the graphics. Like this ones for example (there should be even more tho, of different, previous part of DB, I'm just posting the on I surely played properly and not just randomly checked) :

Dragon Ball Z: Kyoushuu! Saiyajin​

Dragon Ball Z II: Gekigami Freeza​

Dragon Ball Z III: Ressen Jinzou Ningen​

I played all three when I had the itch, but I just remember bits and pieces, they surely and appropriately were "lighter" than the Snes game. These games followed the story from Radish arrival to the first version of Cell iirc, never concluding the saga, but in between there were also mixed some OAVs/filler characters like Garlic or Cooler so.. yeah, a bit confusing as well, but I have fond memories of them anyway, even if not to the SSD level.

Wow, the third looks really accurate regarding the story, word for word they say the same thing as in the anime!

There was impressive games on NES, especially how they were programmed with tons of "scenes" on it.
Like a movie. There's (by far) less games on Master System even if the console was a bit more powerful (colors especially).

The biggest issues with megadrive was colors when i think about it, and Sega CD could have resolved the issue : they were short videos thanks to the CD added and more memory, but that's all. Colors were important for videos, and they promised "more" at the time it was released, but it wasn't the case. I think the memory could've gives more color in the same time, but not more colors for a sprite.
There were games that you should need to have both Sega CD and 32X on it, but it was too much. When how big was that thing with the 2 add-on... It was a big no. Well, 32x was made for people who didn't wanted to spend money on buying Saturn.

Also, one issue about the 32x : the thing should have been more powerfull as a separate console. But the issue is the core chip of the Megadrive slowed down the 32x, like i'll take anything for example, who turns in 1000 turns by minutes : if you add an extra engine who runs to 2000 turns by minutes, you will obtain 1500 in the final. Well it was conceived in that way. Like the Saturn was firstly made for 2D games, while the PS conceived it for 3D (which was, for the time, totally crazy, revolutionnary). Well, the saturn was really hard to programm, but you could've accomplish games that even on PS1, wouldn't run that smoothly. Of course it was made by Sega, like one of the first "HD" game (but in 4/3) practically arcade lookalike like Virtua Fighter 2, a small Off Thread but just for those who didn't see it, on Arcade it was a 128 bit game, well the Arcade chip was not at Dreamcast level but still :

BTW some games on Megadrive got "tricks" that could be used to makes the effect for having many differents colors in game, like Toy Story of Flink, also Vectorman but i didn't checked that last:
Toy story (it's pretty technical : check at 2 minutes 30 to have an idea of how)

Normally, Megadrive is limited to 64 colors palette. But there were trick, like for example i got an article explaining (in French) how "The misadventures of Flink' got more color. In fact, the Megadrive could've gives 1000 shades of those 64 colors. Flink got for example juxtaposed two pixel to make one color. Pretty hard to do, an artist work, but Psygonosis got pretty great devs.

Now another vids testing Megadrive colors palette.

Just one game, when i replay it after a long time, who was the base of Virtua Tennis 1 mecanics that i loved for tons of reasons : ATP Tour / Megadrive (there was prequel but to me it's the best.
There was assisted and non-assisted controls. And i can tell you that i tried both, and without assistance, the game was pretty hard ! But still logic.

I can play hours on it even now. It was my ISS but for Tennis lol... But before, one game i loved too on Master System with the same system:

Wimbledon :

And ATP Tour of course

Love the old Tennis games! There was also David Crane's Amazing Tennis which was hours fun on Mega Drive until I found ATP Tour :))

There were games that you should need to have both Sega CD and 32X on it, but it was too much. When how big was that thing with the 2 add-on... It was a big no. Well, 32x was made for people who didn't wanted to spend money on buying Saturn.

:LOL: I had to find a picture of it. The SEGA Tower of Power!

SEGAtowerofpower.jpg

This guy is obviously taking the piss a little with the game-genie & whatever that is beneath that, but what a monster!
They made a second version with the CD on the right instead of bottom because it was too tall :LOL:

You guys have to try this channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kalyptux/videos

While some of the games are not exactly 8 bit or 16 bit (which is, in fact, the point of this thread). This channel by a Spanish guy has TONS of freeware mostly Arcade and some PC games with VERY easy installers in the video descriptions! I would say that this channel's range is from 8-24 bit games.. I post it here because it has a lot of the same esthetics and gameplay we are sharing here, also a lot of the games are very similar to the ones we've been posting!

I've been playing "Maldita Castilla" (Cursed Castilla, it's in the page) and having so much fun.. You guys definitely have to take a look at some of the games in this channel, most of which I didn't even know about. :TU:

Last edited:
I brought it when it cames to PC but i have a problem with that version : there was no sound (i paid for it so not a fake one)
Then i take the special version on PS4. Amazing tribute to Ghouls'n'Ghost. There's at least 6 ending or more i think? It depends of how many time you did to end the game and the lives you lost i think.

It's hard, but not harder than G'N'G : having the real good ending is what makes the game harder. It's also a bit more gore (lots of blood) than G'N'G.
So, really liked that game. I got (on emulator) Ultimate G'N'G, it's not superbly rated but as a big fan of the series i found it really cool :)

But every time i said myself to start the game seriously, as i've made only 2 levels, then i forget about it. But even wit PSSPP it doesn't look too big or unplayable.

It's not a 8-16 bits game but i just remember an arcade game of football VERY particular : you gotted a ball to shoot on!
The ball was locked to the ground. I don't even know how to play but here's the what the arcade machine looks like:

1635921111871.png

It's not exactly that machine and perhaps not that game, i don't remember the name at all but you have some "ground" and there was a secure barrier stuff behind to not fall. The system was a bit more immersive.
I'm checking but i don't found it (as i don't remember at all the name)
All i was doing is to shoot with full strength on the ball just for fun :LMAO:

It's not a 8-16 bits game but i just remember an arcade game of football VERY particular : you gotted a ball to shoot on!
The ball was locked to the ground. I don't even know how to play but here's the what the arcade machine looks like:

View attachment 130363

It's not exactly that machine and perhaps not that game, i don't remember the name at all but you have some "ground" and there was a secure barrier stuff behind to not fall. The system was a bit more immersive.
I'm checking but i don't found it (as i don't remember at all the name)
All i was doing is to shoot with full strength on the ball just for fun :LMAO:
Wanted to posted about Toy Story the other day. The very first game i've tried on Sega Genesis Emulator. Amazing graphics, physics and pseudo-3D sprites fro that era!

Another game with similar enchanced graphics i recall, can't remeber the title now, was one with little cars, that were making races inside a kid rooms, the course was the bed, the desk etc.. I think it was something about Hotwheels or similar with RC cars.

Last edited:
I got the chance at the time to play in a friend home, we were 3... Or 4 i don't remember exactly. But he was in possession of that thing :

1635926592471.png

Never played before with 3-4 mates! It was amazing at the time, with Micro Machines 2, it was ultra fun! That era :PRAY:
There's type of game who gets older with the time, but games like Micro Machines series didn't with their special gameplay, some indie cars games have took the same control system.

The next time i played we were 4 that time, was on Mario Kart 64, was good but less fun as we played on an average screen size and the screen was divided in 4, and wasn't really new (playing that game 6-7 years later wasn't that fresh. And we played under some... Jamaican substances if you know what i mean :SMUG:
But i imagine with a pretty big screen, the year it was released and we would have discovered the game, i think it would have been much more fun (i was, but a bit "oldies" already)

I'm checking if we could've play 4 players at Super Mario Kart Snes. The answer is... No. But there's a hack or patch you can play with 4 players.
Also i already told about it, a full screen patch without the circuit with player positions above.
Note: i just discover that hack version, on the one i got there wasn't widescreen option:

The view is perfect, just missing the filters to make the pixels more round and smooth (or scanlines, but whatever)

DS is okay to post, GBA even if it's a mix 32bits too i think. But i never got one, i played a bit Donkey Kong on it, but on 3DS. The relief effect is pretty cool, i'm good with it for some games no need full 3D. I'm thinkin' to buy one, plus it can play GBA games.

About real 3D with a VR... I'm not totally fan, let's say it's great for some games or movies, but on the short terms to me.

It makes your head turns too much, on some games.
I would love a TV with "3D relief" option for games.
My friend got one with 3D option which is different, with glasses i think it's super rare and has been sold like, i don't know, 2 years then they stopped, it was a flop. I told him to keep it at all cost as at that time it was impossible to found one, except on Ebay or that kind of website.

About "automatic relief/3D" it's been a while since it's planned but the guys building TVs said that to reach the level of 3D without glasses : they tried everything and for the eyes to have a real effect of deepness, the only way is to have a very very high resolution.
Like i don't know how much "K" on it, and be on a certain distance, with ultra small pixel. It seems totally credible and make sense, but also pretty expensive and "risky" as you need to have something solid (i suppose the smaller the pixels are, the more fragile the screen can be)

Back to 3DS would have like to play a PES on it but well, he didn't had. Well i think there's only a Winning eleven 2014 Aoki Samurai, the only one with the same rosters and J1 + J2 league with the PS3 version. But with PES PS2 stats system and added some new skills (there's new special skills in PES PS2 after the 6 if i remember well, pairing with PS3 new skills. I remember at least 2 or 3 more than PES 6)
Sorry for the O.T. 32-64-128 bits hahaha

@millossobek is a Dreamcast to powerful for this thread or would you include it here?! :)

Virtua Tennis... :...
haha nice compilation bro! Even though I think we should stick to 8-bit and 16-bit games mostly, because of the spirit of these games, I still think Dreamcast is cool and these games look fun! Hydro Thunder looks like SNES f-zero :D I also remember playing Grandia for PSX, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing (great combos, one of the best boxing games!) and Jet Grind Radio also, those early 2000 skateboarding games are cool. Very stylish. :TU:

Speaking of tennis games, I think the tennis game I played the most ever was Jimmy Connors Pro Tennis Tour. šŸŽ¾ This was a very fun game! Even though I had trouble in the higher difficulties against the CPU serve and volleyers! It had a complete world tour playing in different Masters 250s 500s1000s and Grand Slams, which I thought was very realistic. One of the coolest things about this game is the fact that each opponent had a defined style, and you really had to think about strategy and how to counter them. Give it a try bros. :COOL:

That one never been on location so i never have the chance to play it, until i tried every tennis games possible on Snes/Megadrive.
Jennifer Capriati tennis aka Gran Slam: Tennis too (i think it was already mentionned)

Talking about Virtua Tennis, there was a big arcade screen (a bit like i said with pang) with a XX meters where i was going....
People queued to win against me, everyone looked me playing. But i has a secret to be that strong :JAY:
You know, when you buy a Dreamcast, like me, not buying that game was a blasphemy :D So i was (a bit) cheating :LMAO:

But even against people who were in possession, it's the only game i can really said without being presumptuous that i crushed everyone, well because it was true.
I won all the mode on hard without loosing a single set with my mate from the time, Jim Courrier šŸŽ¾
Sincerely if there were a tournament like for PES with money, i would have put my name on the list directly. I really wanted challenge i never got when i reached a certain level. When for example i played on Arcade, i did it three time, after 7 or 8 opponent, i leaved and said "you're the next? I quit, play at my place. Have a nice day"

I searched but nothing in Belgium unfortunately.

@vialli82 I would be interested in hearing your opinion bro, what is the best/your favorite tennis game from the 8-bit/16-bit generation and why?

You should give the Jimmy Connors game a try on emulator, bro.. and tell me what you think. :TU:

Tried already, but i prefers 3 games : Super Tennis, Atp Tour, and Final Match Tennis (PC-Engine). But i'll retry once, this week, Jimmy Connors.
Super Tennis and Final Match are pretty similar, but i think that Super Tennis is more complete. And also it could be dumb but one thing i don't like in Final Match, it's about the racket vs the ball : often the racket doesn't touch the ball, it's a graphical issue.
But those are the most immersive. ATP tour could become boring after many games, but those no. There's a bigger margin of progression.

I remember about Jimmy Connors as a good game, but nothing really special that keept me sticked to play one more match, but the 2-3 others you want to improve yourself. It's hard, and when you won, you have a Dark Souls/Bloodborne satisfaction :DANCE:
It's all about the variety of directions, except ATP tour which have a different approach (more about the power, positioning, and overall feeling : player's movement, sensations etc.)

Also about the best tennis game ever made to me, everyone talk about Tennis Elbow, it's a great game i won't deny it, but to me it doesn't reach Top Spin 4 as a much more complete game in every area.
I mean there's more stuffs which have an impact on the result, in terms of balance. Tennis Elbow, is a bit like Final Match Tennis, over the positioning and timing, less power or inertia, or physics let's say.

The big "pro" is that you can download tons of players to make a real Gran Chelem with all real players made by people (of course there's notes about what is the best represented, as they're man made). It's a big +, one thing that should be on tons of tennis games.
AO Tennis got it too (the 2 is a good one : if you remove the assistance : otherwise you just have to choose where you aim the ball and the player move by himself : i hate it and it was like i don't remember which tennis game on Snes, i thinked that system was shit.
I hope it's not Jimmy Connors that i'm talking about šŸ˜…

So objectively as i said my favourite 8/16 bits games, i will gives also my GOAT tennis game, i would place Top Spin 4 as the most complete game of tennis, and the best overall. One youtuber (even two) has exactly the same impression as me, comparing to people who talked as Tennis Elbow as the best game, i don't remember if it's a french guy, but he thinked exactly like me.
But the fact that it's make by one person with some friends help and that he improved it until 2013 (perhaps more) influences people in their choice, i'm pretty sure of it.

Now that you mention it, i will try a bit more Jimmy, playing serie(s) ;)

@millossobek and everyone who's like tennis game : just try Final Match Tennis on PC Engine. There's a sequel on Snes and it's sill hard but it doesn't have variety of trajectory and power that F.M.T. got. "Super" Final Match Tennis it's called (well, the word Super is on every remake or sequel on Snes haha)
I forgot about that one, i would place it high. Just that the 8 bit version... It's really something.

Just gives it a try and tell me what you think too about that game; i discovered it pretty late personnally and it was like, the first time i played 360 degrees "manual" on a football game. No joke. It's astonishing for a game from i don't remember early 90's or late 80.

Edit: i just took a look of Jimmy Connors, pretty well made, i love the sound of the ball. But for example, i saw stuff like when the player miss one racket movement : he can retry. There's no second chances on games like Super Tennis of Final Match for example, but well, all the rest looks pretty interesting.
Cool, a new tennis game to discover :)

Last edited:
Just two pack of roms with the Super Tennis World Circuit version (jap version but in english, with names ressembling and differents faces) and the translated version with real names of Final Match Tennis. Remember i got hard to found a translated version at the time (Final Match is in japanese, then i got a version with fake names, so 2 patchs to appply)

Enjoy. I retried, i think Final Match is still better, but exchange are hard to make it long : you have to got a lot of experience.
If it annoy someone that i post two "corrected" roms, i'll remove the mini pack then no prob ;)

Attachments

• Pack Super Tennis Jap and Final Match english.rar
    333.1 KB · Views: 1
Do I need DOSBOX to play PC engine games bro, or a special kind of emulator? Also, is Final Match Tennis your official 8-bit 16-bit recommendation for now? :TU:

Back
Top Bottom