The Retrogaming Thread! [8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/64-bit]

Note: if you need some games patch translation (well rom already ready to play) just ask me. Or there's the website i use, there's no roms, only patchs: http://www.romhacking.net/
I got tons of it.

There's also tons of games fixes that we couldn't "fixes" at the time, or NTSC to Pal. Even if you play on your console with and Everdrive (a cartridge you can put tons of roms with an SD card) it works too.
2 or 3 Example from games here :
-Castelvania IV uncensored (i think on Japan version) with blood and all, re-translated.
-Super Ghouls'n'Ghost fixed slowdown : Capcom didn't used one chip from the snes on some games, causing slowdown.... Weird
-Demon's Crest : same fix as Super GNG > same problem

I prefers to keep originals games and don't like that much modified games, like there's at least 10 versions of Super Mario Kart etc., Tons of it... But i'm not interested. Not a matter of nostalgia. I just prefers games makes at that time with that era standard, that's all.

But one exception, it's more about some fixes, or errors in game often for Arcade games.
There's a lot of Megadrive games patch with Arcade colors extracted and assigned, often looking closest to the Arcade. For that, i keep the original and give a shot on those games.
Some designer were a bit hurry to release their game, and didn't have the same recoil as we have now. There's also a similar thing on Snes but as there's much more colors, i think it's less a "game changer". Just extracted some Arcade color and reassign in game ;)

Those patch are often called "Arcade Colors" or "Color Hacks".
About fixes now for example on Megadrive, some missing characters from the Arcade re-added on a version ("Ultimate Morkal Kombat 3 Arcade" on Megadrive : added Sheeva and all related to arcade like the presentation, game got a bigger size so)
Don't know why but many cartridges were 24 MB on Megadrive while on Snes there was 32 MB : a matter of cost i think.

Last edited:
Right! Actually I've been following fan hacks and translations for a while now.

I remember I was really happy when the Tales of Phantasia translation was complete by DeJap Translations.

This game had a really cool battle system. It was one of the first games I saw which mixed turn-taking and live action. It's kinda hard to explain, you just gotta play it to see what I'm talking about.

Add to that some beautiful graphics, pushing the limits of 16 bit, a great soundtrack and storyline, and fun battles, and you get one of the best SNES games out there, and a classic JRPG.

Amazing thread! Some great games posted, & some I didn't know, that I will add to my playlist.

Speaking of translations, I just recently found a Japanese SNES game, Alcahest. There is an english translation for it that I have been playing.
Very fun action/rpg I never heard of before. It has puzzles & caves sorta like the early Zelda games.

alcahest.jpg

@vialli82 River City for life! A game that was ahead of it's time.. masterpiece. I Haven't tried RC girls but River City Underground is a great tribute!

P.S I also just want to say, Mega Man 1 on NES is harder than Dark Souls & I still can't beat it :LOL:

I remember playing a lot of NBA Live 95 and 96

On 96 you could create Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley who officially were not in the game.
I played full seasons, in those days I also watched the NBA every week, following Orlando Magic.
Such great superstars in that era : the guys mentioned above, Hakeem Olajuwan, Patrick Ewing, fellow dutchman Rick Smits.

Fond memories of those days, lots of free time, no kids so lots of gaming.
And now i'm a dinosaur.....oh well.

I got until the end to Megan on GameBoy... Same as NES, but more difficult! No joke you can found the test. One friend of mine gotted it on snes and you got more space to avoid shoots. So yes, it was super hard. Just that it tooks me more time.
Every Megaman are hard, but the 1st is probably the hardest then then they reduced difficulty a tiny bit (thankfully because spending a life to end a game)
I ended the 2 btw, on emulator.

But i preferred the Megaman X series, more, i don't know, Manga. Less hard but still for a game even from that time. Megaman X 4 on PSX was outstanding graphically. So much beautiful 2D games on PS/Saturn....

3D talk O.T. spoil
Just that it was the 3D who was the biggest change in gaming history, even Star Fox was "something beautiful" for us at the time! That was much more ported on animations and view from every angle which was giving a feeling of uniqueness at the time, more than graphisms. I was super impressed i remember even if i was more interested about something else than playing. I think i already told it, but i played essentially ISS Pro Evolution 1 and 2 and sold my PS after a year... But i couldn't afford anymore to put my money on buying video games. I knowed later about the chip, but too late to buy one again.

Also PSX wasn't already the "real 3D games like Arcade" when you played in the same time Daytona or even others games. Some yes, like Soul Edge or Ridge Racer, but we weren't impressed by them.
But Dreamcast did it, first console "arcade at home" for real, no port. Same games. Then PS2, a Dreamcast with 10x and effects but not f*****g aliasing haha. There was a way to remove it completely, but too hard to program : some games did it. Just that on DCast, a chip did it automatically

To me the most difficult game in history was R-Type. I finished it with Infinite lives, just to see how hard it was "after" the boss before the last boss who was completely hardcore... But you're not ready for the final. There must be a way to avoid the 100 shoots in every position, but nowhere on the screen i found safe position. Completely crazy...

On 96 you could create Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley who officially were not in the game.
I played full seasons, in those days I also watched the NBA every week, following Orlando Magic.
Such great superstars in that era : the guys mentioned above, Hakeem Olajuwan, Patrick Ewing, fellow dutchman Rick Smits.

Fond memories of those days, lots of free time, no kids so lots of gaming.
And now i'm a dinosaur.....oh well.
I followed Basket at the time but not like a fool : not as much games showed on my country (at all), and one of my friend was big fan of it.
We played on that game and it was very immersive... I remember some version where better on Snes, others on MD etc.
When i watched or replayed those game now, even Fifa, i'm asking myself how i could have

But as i wanted fun for Basket.same for racing (Gran Turismo 2 is the exception) i played more NBA Jam. Wasn't really Basket but Midway were good for fun 90's humor and style.

There was one sport i (well we) didn't carried but i loved that game it's that one: Power Spike 91 (USA/EU) / Super Volleyball 91(JAP) > Arcade only.
Super Volleyball (not 91, out on 90) was available on Megadrive but not as good at the '91 and the Power Spike II/"Hyper Volleyball" if i remember well the name

Super_Volleyball_1991_Video_System_US_screenshot.gif

I was really angry when i learned later that Power Spike II from Neo Geo (you could've play with Robots) was available on Snes! I learned it from Emulation.
And it was a super port, similar to NEO GEO same as for example Fatal Fury 1 and Baseball 2020 (lol that 1995 vision of the future)
All was on it: Cutscenes etc., one guy told me some rules of the game and it was pretty simple to play, and pretty fun.

Neo Geo version on the left, Snes on the Right. All was on it, one of the best forgotten port. I really don't care about Baseball but loved that one.
1635431072283.png 1635431194073.png

Last edited:
I played 96 a LOT too, but for PC. Great game. That era in the NBA is the best for me. MJ, Hakeem, Patrick, Sir Charles.. Even though I'm a Bulls fan, I also loved when Clyde "The Glide" Drexler got together with Hakeem and won the second Rockets title. That was epic! That era will never me matched, so many personalities!

I just recently found a Japanese SNES game, Alcahest. There is an english translation for it that I have been playing.
Very fun action/rpg I never heard of before. It has puzzles & caves sorta like the early Zelda games.
Alcahest is one of those games that I always saw on my ROM list but never actually sat down and played. I've been watching some videos and some people are saying that it's better than Zelda Link to the Past, and that it's the most underrated game of all time. That in itself is enough to make me check it out, I have noted it for future play. :TU: :)šŸŽ®:COOL:

I followed Basket at the time but not like a fool : not as much games showed on my country (at all), and one of my friend was big fan of it.
We played on that game and it was very immersive... I remember some version where better on Snes, others on MD etc.
When i watched or replayed those game now, even Fifa, i'm asking myself how i could have

But as i wanted fun for Basket.same for racing (Gran Turismo 2 is the exception) i played more NBA Jam. Wasn't really Basket but Midway were good for fun 90's humor and style.

There was one sport i (well we) didn't carried but i loved that game it's that one: Power Spike 91 (USA/EU) / Super Volleyball 91(JAP) > Arcade only.
Super Volleyball (not 91, out on 90) was available on Megadrive but not as good at the '91 and the Power Spike II/"Hyper Volleyball" if i remember well the name

View attachment 129364

I was really angry when i learned later that Power Spike II from Neo Geo (you could've play with Robots) was available on Snes! I learned it from Emulation.
And it was a super port, similar to NEO GEO same as for example Fatal Fury 1 and Baseball 2020 (lol that 1995 vision of the future)
All was on it: Cutscenes etc., one guy told me some rules of the game and it was pretty simple to play, and pretty fun.

Neo Geo version on the left, Snes on the Right. All was on it, one of the best forgotten port. I really don't care about Baseball but loved that one.
View attachment 129368 View attachment 129369
I love Volleyball and i loved Power Spikes, the arcade versions (MAME), still love them. It hurts me until today, we are in 2021 and still the best representation* of VolleyBall was those games Power Spikes/Super Volleyball. It is really shame, whatever i've seen, on mobile, or even a PS4 game named Spike Volleyball PS4, were all pure shite..

*by best representation i mean balancing video game fun and real sport simulation.

So i have a big catalog, really surprised for some games , that none mentioned, and remember some i have forgoten.

First comes first, cheers to @vialli82 mentioning Starfox Adventure, i had a german cartridge, it was named Starwing due to stupid licensing issues in Europe, but we will always know it as STARFOX! For me it is , no jokes, one of the best 10 games i have ever played.

Flight simulation? Check.
Decent flying physics? Check. (for that era)
Air battles in space like Star Wars? Check
First and third person view option , after stage 2? Check
Interactive 3D enviroment? Check
Roll like a spiral with L+R? Check, Roll while also boostin the turbo? Double Check!
Ability to leave your irritating Frog ally die? Check! :P

Fan fact, i recently watched a making off documentary in a video games related channel, and they mentioned that the Starfox Cartirdge was shipped with a special chip implemented inside, cause the SNES "GPU" by itself could not handle the 3D polygons.

Well i have a lot games to discuss. Super Mario Kart, ISS, Captain Comando, Pirates of Dark Water, Battletoads, TMNT, Track and Field by KONAMI, Top Gun in NES, ASterix & Obelix, Yoshi's Island, The Mask, MOTHER 2 : Earthbound (one of the best RPGs ever played), Chrono Trigger (another GOAT RPG), Street Fighter 2 a new Challenger, Super Soccer, NBA JAM.

But for now i will stay to another less known game i have played. It was a platform game named PLOK! , i borrowed the cartiridge from my cousin from Germany, so i played in auf Deutsch, without knowing any German back then. It was a very prototype game and had a lot of ideas and different concepts in the same game. What was more amazing, was the graphics that were bery pure cartoony with bright and warm colours, and physics of the game which were more than decent for the era and the genre.

To give you understand, Plok the main character was a "creature" that was throwing its parts, the two limbs and the two legs. The parts after thrown were returning back like boomerang. It was so well designed, that you had to fix you movement, cause for example if you were missing your limbs you had different inertia, if you were missing your legs too, you had limited movement, like a sandbag, you could not jump. Also by double pressing jump , he was making a tornado animation like Sonic when running.

Also you had some powerups, like flamethrower, that were transforming your character to a suited one, and instead of body parts, you were throwing the respective power, IE with flamethrower you were spitting fire.

This generation has SO many good games. No matter the genre. Sports, Sidescrollers, Beat Em Ups, Adventure, RPG..I love old school stuff, but I can really say I think this is my favorite era in gaming!
Well i have a lot games to discuss. Super Mario Kart, ISS, Captain Comando, Pirates of Dark Water, Battletoads, TMNT, Track and Field by KONAMI, Top Gun in NES, ASterix & Obelix, Yoshi's Island, The Mask, MOTHER 2 : Earthbound (one of the best RPGs ever played), Chrono Trigger (another GOAT RPG), Street Fighter 2 a new Challenger, Super Soccer, NBA JAM.
Looking forward to all of these discussions, buddy! I will start off with one of the ones you mentioned:

How creative is this game? I mean seriously. Yoshi's Island is like you're playing in a magic painting, or something.. :LOL: It's amazing. I never got to play it on console but discovered it later through ROMs. The stages were SO creative, the method of attack throwing eggs and catching Baby Mario in a bubble. The enemies, the world design. My jaw was on the floor, and actually it still is every time I play this wonderful game! :TU:

BTW @slamsoze "Plok" creature looks so awesome, haha he's pretty cool! I'll have to check it out!

This generation has SO many good games. No matter the genre. Sports, Sidescrollers, Beat Em Ups, Adventure, RPG..I love old school stuff, but I can really say I think this is my favorite era in gaming!

Looking forward to all of these discussions, buddy! I will start off with one of the ones you mentioned:

How creative is this game? I mean seriously. Yoshi's Island is like you're playing in a magic painting, or something.. :LOL: It's amazing. I never got to play it on console but discovered it later through ROMs. The stages were SO creative, the method of attack throwing eggs and catching Baby Mario in a bubble. The enemies, the world design. My jaw was on the floor, and actually it still is every time I play this wonderful game! :TU:

BTW @slamsoze "Plok" creature looks so awesome, haha he's pretty cool! I'll have to check it out!
I really loved it, it was my very first game i bought besides the SNES console. IMHO it is from the most polished games Nintendo has created. Very, very few glitches, very userfriendly and more easy than Mario, no more one shot deaths by one touch, or by one bad jump, you can float for a while in the air by keep pressing jump. Interesting mechanics, well desinged stages, as it is the most recent Mario Game, after Super Marios Bros series, and sequel to Super MArio World.

Now , watching it retrospective, it does not even annoy me that i paid more for the game than for the console. The console back in 1996 costed 30,000 Greek Drachma and the game that i bought together costed 36,000 drachma. To give you in ā‚¬, SNES costed about 90ā‚¬ and the game around 105ā‚¬. Ī™n today's standards 90 bucks are very cheap for a console (although it was a big amount of money in drachma and for 1996 standards) and 105 bucks are very expensive even for a AAA game. But i think it worth it!! Very polished, also 3D aspects in the game, and much better polygons and 3D graphics than StarFox!

I never achieved the perfect score needed to unlock the last 2 bonus stages. And it was also the first game i finished 100%, or 99% excluding the bonus stages. I also got it for N64, and NDS. I didn't like the N64 version so much, the NDS was like an expanded Yoshi's Island. like a fresh sequel!!! Just a little bit tricky with the NDS dual screen!

Also it is from the limited games, i completed it, without reading any helping guides in magazines,neither using any cheat, if there was any! :)

I never tried "Plok!" but bro, i will it's impressive for that time!
There was a game like that too, i discover some times ago and was impressed. A real plateformer like that one.

Otherwise guys just a question : didn't any of you got a Video Club at that time when it existed, where you could've take for example a game for 2.5 euros (in Belgium money it was 100 francs) for 3 days and 5 euros for a week?

I'll explain the/our story about it, and why i could've have so much access to every games on games :
We gotten at least 5 video club with games in locations of it on the area i was living. First it started with Master system and Megadrive, there was also a kind of video club, but only with games! The dream for a child or some VG geek (PC games, CDI, Mega-CD, etc.)

Then another video club opened, and i grown with that video club like my friends, and we became pretty close to one of them, as friend worked there and it was like a point of meeting with everyone (so i gotted many game and movie for free :P, even some i never send it back and keeped from myself as the guy forgot that i took the game). It was probably my best memory, we didn't only played but makes some funs and crazy stuffs on that place when it was closed lol.

Back to the thread, the biggest advantage we got with that club, as that we asked for some games to buy directly on the catalog they gotted, on any console. Many were with the US adapter for many games but whatever as for the price, as we got so many stuffs free, sometimes we paid the full price.

Even some console where on location. I tried the Saturn with Virtua Fighter and Daytona, well, as it was disappointing i buyed a PSX. Saturn was good, and Virtua Fighter 2 or Sega Rally were two example of even a console more builded for 2D : with their 4 ship system and games made by Sega it was pretty impressive.

Well another game on Amiga and Atari ST that we never ended and was impressive at the time, 1987, it was a story with question/answers, don't think it was a point'n'click but more an interractive comics :

Crash Garrett:

1635447514705.png

Otherwise guys just a question : didn't any of you got a Video Club at that time when it existed, where you could've take for example a game for 2.5 euros (in Belgium money it was 100 francs) for 3 days and 5 euros for a week?
Of course bro!

In Colombia, we had video game rental stores which did the same.. Renting out games for 5 days approximately I remember it being about.. 8000 Colombian Pesos at the time, which is kinda like 3 bucks, lol..

Back in NES time, I used to rent out the Famicom games and use the adapter, and then the SNES cartridges. You guys remember this adapter??

1.jpg

One of the games I remember renting the most with a friend at the time was.. World Heroes 2, one of the overlooked fighting games of the era. :TU:

I didn't got that adapter, but only the Snes one (they didn't located NES game. Wasn't super popular here in fact)

Some adaptation were pretty good, like that one, but i played the 1st version personnally of World Heroes.
Note that for those time of games, always plays in NTSC version, or the game is a bit slowed down : at the time not only FPS were less, but also the game speed unfortunately. Not every game of course.

@vialli82 , could you help me find a ROM?

I've been searching for a translated version of Hat Trick Hero 2, (with English or Spanish text instead of Japanese) but I haven't been able to find any.. I don't know if it exists, but in case you see it, let me know.. Thanks bro no rush. :TU:

Already checked yesterday, sorry but there's no translation in any European letters... Annoying, i also wanted it but if it's not on Romhacking or Youtube, you can forget unfortunately.

There's also a lot of good football game based on J-League "J-League Excite stage" is i remember and 2 others J-leagues games. Many versions and also others J-League game based on, but zero translation unfortunately.
I played to all, and one was pretty interesting, a bit like Capcom Soccer Shootout but (way) better, and all in Japanese...

Perhaps one of the very few like Hat Trick Hero, real interesting football games we got on Snes, but never translated, sad. Hat Trick Hero got only names and formations i think to translate, the rest is in English.

It's like there's a game, if you remember "Last Battle" which is "Hokuto No Ken 2" (Fist of the North Star) very different in japanese, colors changed, dialogues, players explodes when you hit them (like in the Anime/Manga). There was a guy who started to translate, it was close to end it but it was never released.
Same as i played a Shinobi Arcade totally like the real one but on Megadrive, but the guys stopped after the beta 3. Pretty impressive, just check on Youtube, i think there's a download link.

About Last Battle/Hokuto no Ken 2 (the first was Black Belt on MS, same game but many different stuff on the licenced Jap version with Ken and others design/bosses), look at this thread just an example:
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23412.0
Never ended unfortunately.
Sorry bro.

Those video clubs were the best! Every neighbourhood used to have one or two around. I think there is only 1 left now in the whole city.. :((
I would spend an hour in there just browsing. I probably hired TMNT II - The arcade game for NES about 20 times trying to beat it.
Day of returning it, I would wake up 3 hours before school, just to play it a little more & one of those morning I finally beat that damned Super Shredder! :LOL:

Thread inspired me to find some of my classic games for the SEGA Mega Drive! Did anyone play this one on the right?
megadrive.jpg

Fever Pitch Soccer also known as Head-on Soccer in some regions & on SNES.
It was a fun arcadey game with each player having their own crazy special moves. (Player ID! :LOL:)
Dreadlocks guy could dribble everyone, someone has a fireball supershot & if I remember correctly there is even a midfielder with super through balls or something similar.

Also my favourite multiplayer game was that Royal Rumble! (I blocked out hulk hogan on purpose, F that guy .. Luger too but I forgot)
Hours of fun.. knocking out the referee, so he wouldnt see you hit your friend over the head with a chair :LMAO:

Those video clubs were the best! Every neighbourhood used to have one or two around. I think there is only 1 left now in the whole city.. :((
I would spend an hour in there just browsing. I probably hired TMNT II - The arcade game for NES about 20 times trying to beat it.
Day of returning it, I would wake up 3 hours before school, just to play it a little more & one of those morning I finally beat that damned Super Shredder! :LOL:

Thread inspired me to find some of my classic games for the SEGA Mega Drive! Did anyone play this one on the right?
View attachment 129455

It was a fun arcadey game with each player having their own crazy special moves. (Player ID! :LOL:)
Dreadlocks guy could dribble everyone, someone has a fireball supershot & if I remember correctly there is even a midfielder with super through balls or something similar.

Also my favourite multiplayer game was that Royal Rumble! (I blocked out hulk hogan on purpose, F that guy .. Luger too but I forgot)
Hours of fun.. knocking out the referee, so he wouldnt see you hit your friend over the head with a chair :LMAO:
LOL! You got a nice sports collection going there bro!

I remember playing NBA Live 96 a lot. I traded some players, I wanted to make a team of no one over 85 overall.

If I remember correctly all of my starters averaged double digits in scoring, Man let me see if I can remember correctly..
I think my point guard was Mookie Blaylock, Shooting Guard was Stacey Augmon, Small Forward was Walt the Wizard Williams, Power Forward was Horace Grant, and Center was Olden Polynice.Two Hawks, Two Kings, and a Bull! hahahaha I can't believe I remember that. :D

We should also make a compilation of ALL 8 bit, 12 bit, and 16 bit football games and list them here in the thread. :LOL:

View attachment 129364

View attachment 129368 View attachment 129369

Your post brings back memories. I'm a baseball player so actually played this one a lot. It was a bit different but a lot of fun!

Also played that volleyball game you mentioned.
I do remember that the sega master system had a great and quite difficult volleyball game :

For this one you had to press the buttons multiple times to form a block, and then once more to make the block jump.
It was quite realistic.

But my all time favorite on the 8 bit sega master system : black belt!

I loved this one. Jumping around and punching enemies.
And then each end boss was pretty difficult, until you found the way to beat them which was different for every boss.

This thread brings back great memories!

@elfie I you read that post when i talk about Last Battle on Megadrive : i talked that it was "Hokuto no Ken 2"
Black Belt was the European version of Hokuto No Ken 1.
There's translations hack for that version, and all the game background, ennemies were differents, bosses too, and all was very close to the manga/anime:

Just take a look at the japanese version:

Pretty different no? I gotted to play it to make myself aware of it but well.
But Boss Fight were also super hard, until you found their weakness.
A bit like that average game but i loved it: Rocky on MS. Well there were others game using exactly the same Engine suck as George Foreman and Heavyweight champ (same game in fact but with Foreman Licence and some slight differences, think there's more options in Heavyweight C. like choosing your player, or something else, not sure)
Same Engine, but better balance, fluidity, a bit more variety overall. Well as a Rocky's fan, i played more the first just because : Rocky Balboa

Rocky (Master System)

George Foreman KO Boxing (Master System)

You can see how similar it looked on everything, but it wasn't, only the same engine. But in better for the following game (Foreman and Heavyweight Champ)

Ah yes also i forgot one sentence on one of my post about NBA Live and even Fifa i quote myself

Edited:

... Play that sports with 3D Isometric game, with that angle. For Example ISS was Isomtretic but slightly turned to to right, it played like a 2D basic games.
But weirdly, i loved the view for many games, searching for 3D isometric when i made my rom collection i missed (japanese games often, with translation).
Also never been too much Tactical Fight-RPG, much much more Action-Rpg like Secret of Mana series, or Zelda : a link to the past (a bit more adventure than fully RPG)
Turn to turn fight annoyed me. The only Final Fantasy i tried was one of the first on PS2, well it was a super upper game but i abandoned due to that.
There's also fully Tactical-RPG (i don't remember the denomination but there were tons of it) where you control a full army etc. Japanese were fans of it.

I don't really remember the Volley game on MS, only checking behind the box with images behind, but it looks pretty cool.
Ah another 2 Tennis game but one a different perspective, super fun, even pretty hard to play on MS. Both. But i preferred Tennis Ace. I think the other was from the compatible older console than the MS : the SG-1000.
Some games like "My Hero" were from that less powerfull Master system.
Games that you could play with a card on the MS first version you remember? All were SG-1000 games. They remade all those game all in cartridge version

Tennis Ace

Super Tennis (no, not the Snes version) SG-1000 and MS

Last edited:

View attachment 129455

You have no idea how much fun we gotted with my friend playing Fever Pitch Soccer.
Some special moves were super hilarious and we had so much fun, but more than that, so many laughs with that game.
It was parodical a bit, you could've do some stuffs forbidden in Football.

@elfie I you read that post when i talk about Last Battle on Megadrive : i talked that it was "Hokuto no Ken 2"
Black Belt was the European version of Hokuto No Ken 1.
There's translations hack for that version, and all the game background, ennemies were differents, bosses too, and all was very close to the manga/anime:

Just take a look at the japanese version:

Pretty different no? I gotted to play it to make myself aware of it but well.
But Boss Fight were also super hard, until you found their weakness.
A bit like that average game but i loved it: Rocky on MS. Well there were others game using exactly the same Engine suck as George Foreman and Heavyweight champ (same game in fact but with Foreman Licence and some slight differences, think there's more options in Heavyweight C. like choosing your player, or something else, not sure)
Same Engine, but better balance, fluidity, a bit more variety overall. Well as a Rocky's fan, i played more the first just because : Rocky Balboa

Rocky (Master System)

George Foreman KO Boxing (Master System)

You can see how similar it looked on everything, but it wasn't, only the same engine. But in better for the following game (Foreman and Heavyweight Champ)

Ah yes also i forgot one sentence on one of my post about NBA Live and even Fifa i quote myself

Edited:

... Play that sports with 3D Isometric game, with that angle. For Example ISS was Isomtretic but slightly turned to to right, it played like a 2D basic games.
But weirdly, i loved the view for many games, searching for 3D isometric when i made my rom collection i missed (japanese games often, with translation).
Also never been too much Tactical Fight-RPG, much much more Action-Rpg like Secret of Mana series, or Zelda : a link to the past (a bit more adventure than fully RPG)
Turn to turn fight annoyed me. The only Final Fantasy i tried was one of the first on PS2, well it was a super upper game but i abandoned due to that.
There's also fully Tactical-RPG (i don't remember the denomination but there were tons of it) where you control a full army etc. Japanese were fans of it.

I don't really remember the Volley game on MS, only checking behind the box with images behind, but it looks pretty cool.
Ah another 2 Tennis game but one a different perspective, super fun, even pretty hard to play on MS. Both. But i preferred Tennis Ace. I think the other was from the compatible older console than the MS : the SG-1000.
Some games like "My Hero" were from that less powerfull Master system.
Games that you could play with a card on the MS first version you remember? All were SG-1000 games. They remade all those game all in cartridge version

Tennis Ace

Super Tennis (no, not the Snes version) SG-1000 and MS
We seem to play the same games.
I also played Rocky a lot.

I was not good enough at the training games, especially when your trainer has the gloves on and you have to punch up, down, left and right.
Also I never beat drago.

To beat Drago @elfie ....
Having very high score on EVERY training games were the key. I saw it on a video, with a guy beating him, i never retried since, but his final Rocky was way stronger.
And then i remember checking it on some articles "how too" and it was the key, no one i knowed from the time that training were so much important from the first to the last and not only before the match, and i never meet someone on my friends at the time, even later, who have beaten Drago šŸ¤£

The game didn't mentioned it (it's normal), the issue was you could'n't see Rocky's attributes it was like an hidden stuff that you have to discover yourself, but every training increased speed, strenght, and if i remember well the last was for the number of jab before trowing a big right (the biggest Drago advantage). In fact, the game was more complete, as training well your Rocky was litterally the only way to finish the game.
Drago was like, 2 jab, one monstrous straight right.

Last edited:
To beat Drago @elfie ....
Having very high score on EVERY training games were the key. I saw it on a video, with a guy beating him, i never retried since, but his final Rocky was way stronger.
And then i remember checking it on some articles "how too" and it was the key, no one i knowed from the time that training were so much important from the first to the last and not only before the match, and i never meet someone on my friends at the time, even later, who have beaten Drago šŸ¤£

The game didn't mentioned it (it's normal), the issue was you could'n't see Rocky's attributes it was like an hidden stuff that you have to discover yourself, but every training increased speed, strenght, and if i remember well the last was for the number of jab before trowing a big right (the biggest Drago advantage). In fact, the game was more complete, as training well your Rocky was litterally the only way to finish the game.
Drago was like, 2 jab, one monstrous straight right.
Games in the past were more difficult, no holding hands : find it out yourself!

Here's another classic which I loved: Seiken Densetsu 3!

This is another one of those games which we could play thanks to the work of translation. This was originally released in Japan, and it is the continuation of Secret of Mana 2. One of the most beautiful games in SNES, with a great story and characters with distinct personalities, I think one of the things which made Seiken Densetsu 3 so good was the class system. Once your characer reached levels 18 and 38, you could choose between two paths, Light and Dark paths, which would give your characters different powers and colors, for a possible of 36 possible combinations!

Add to that a very fun combat system, a wonderful soundtrack, a great story and overall a very polished game, and you have one of the great 16 bit games, and to me, one of the greatest videogames of all time! :TU:

I'm pretty sure a lot of you 16 bit connoisseurs have played this but if you haven't give it a try! Or even if you want to replay it, it has great replay value!

1635560580917.png1635560703436.png1635560776270.png1635560947689.png

Here's one of many boss battles!

Last edited:
I have seen this game, Seiken Densetsu 3 always ranked highly, but I thought it was a turn-based RPG so I never tried it.
I will definately add it to my list now bro, thanks for that preview! The graphics look brilliant, reminds me of Chrono Trigger!

Much like @vialli82 wrote, I can't really enjoy the turn-based games either. Back in the day my friend couldn't understand how I wasn't playing Final Fantasy VII. Every week he would tell me to play FF7 & how it was the best game ever :LOL: Thing is, I beleive him & I am interested in the stories, but turn based just isn't for me. P.S Vialli you are like an encyclopedia of game knowledge, thanks for that Rocky post!

Recently I felt some nostalgia & "acquired" all of the Alex the Kidd games :)) Starting with SEGA Master System & Miracle World!

alexkidd.jpg

I am nearly at the blue castle thus far! This game actually has amazing momentum & inertia physics :TU:
Not to mention you fight the level boss with a game of JANKEN! (Rock,Scissors,Paper) :LOL:

I finished it, it's super hard as a game! There was also an type of RPG based, that i played even before that one.

I wanted to post 5 games but i got issue to post gifs, even basic .jpg. So i'll post video instead, sorry.
It was about the games with licences who were good + and one of the Snes game i think i played the most in my top 5.
-Asterix (Master System)

-Asterix (Arcade) one of the funniest Beat-Them-All i played by... Konami

-Mickey Mouse : Castle of Illusion (Master System/Megadrive) the Megadrive version was very beautiful, the gameplay was almost identical except one different stage i think. Never tried World of Illusion but it was a good one, Fantasia a bad one.
I finished the Master System version, and played a bit to the MD version, but it was so similar and i got more "souvenirs" from the MS version so:

-Michael's Jackson : Moonwalker Arcade > There was two version : one MS/Megadrive, and one on Arcade. Very different in arcade that you could've transform in a robot.
The arcade version:

There was tons of licenced game, i can add some (Robocop, Terminator, Batman, manyyy version of it some good some less)
And one rare crossover who was killer, well in the first degree was Robocop vs Terminator on Megadrive : more gore than Mortal Kombat lol.

Well to finish my long post, an extra / on my top most played game on Snes:
Super Pang or just "Pang/Buster Bros" in arcade (Snes/Ps1)
I spended days and days on that one. There was a big arcade stand with a bench and an enormous screen on a place i've been.
As normally, the game was in 16/9. But it was a special "Arcade cabinet", the other i discovered on wasn't that big. Arcade Version (for those who didn't have the chance to see it on that plateform)

Otherwhise @millossobek : Seiken Densentsu 3 = Trials of mana / Secret of Mana 2 :SAL: i remember that i searched at the time why there was called "3". I just checked now as i only remembered the name of first : Mystic Quest, but not the console... I saw it was on Gameboy lol.
There's sequel to that game, with others names btw : Legend of Mana was the 4th, i remember as i tried them in order, just to check... But only finished Secret of ManašŸ˜…
The others i don't know just for information i google it... Well only one remaining (many remake btw, remember people don't liked the PS4 version, lost his charm etc.)
The final was out wow very late after the serie on Android and PS Vita only : Rise of Mana

Thanks @Joga yes i can say i was already on Retrogaming way before it was "exploited", since let's say 2004 (got my first PC late > first thing i've done is... downloading emulators lol. So let's say i'm on it since 15 years)
Was the guy who called when someone didn't remembered a game like one example he told me "you know, where the guy gotted a hammer, he could made Earthquakes with it, on Arcade" and answered "Hammerin' Harry?" "That's it!" haha

Last edited:
@Joga You have to try Seiken Densetsu 3 bro.. I enjoyed this game so much I think I replayed it like 5 different times with different characters, lol.. I don't want to raise your expectations too much, but it's among the most fun I've had playing video games. :) Let me know what you think.

@vialli82 haha bro, that's right! Seiken is Secret of Mana 2, haha.. It's a bit confusing, but the first Mana as you said was for Gameboy, then the second mana was the one we know, Secret of Mana for SNES, which is also a great game!

In fact I think you guys should play them chronologically, first Secret of Mana, then Seiken Densetsu!

Both such classics! :TU:

Attachments

• Secret_of_Mana_(NA).png
    Secret_of_Mana_(NA).png
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
Here is a SFII ripoff, with a such 90's title!! I don't believe a game with a so non-political correct title, coyld be released by today's standards..
s-l300.jpg

Are you tough enough, punk?? Hey!! :P

Also a set of games , that my beloved ZSNES emulator allowed me to play, back in early 2000. LONG POST INCOMING!

O.T.1: I recently, about 1~2 years ago i unfortunatelly read somewhere in the internet, that ZSNES was not now the no1 snes emulator, cause it created a security gap and allowed somehow malicious software to work in users PC. Sad times as it was my partner for more than 15 years!

SO the games i am speaking about are the Dragon Ball Z games for SNES, 4 fighting games and 1 legandary RPG.

The first trilogy is the Drabon Ball Z: Super Butoden Series.

Genre : Fighting

1) Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden

2) Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 2

3) Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 3

The first is the most inferior technically , with poor battle system, but the best story mode in the series and the biggest roster, plus unlockable characters as you progress the stoty mode. Also it is so rigid that it is the most difficult of all DBZ fighting game. It covers from Saiyan Saga to Cell Games Saga.

The second one, has some decent story mode, many things have been removed fromthe previous version, Goku SSJ is not available in the beginning, only with cheat code, which with my keyboard config i still remember after 20 years, it is ''Up, Z, Down, S , Q, D, W, A'' in the title screen! :P

The story mode has some side stories from DBZ movies Bojack Unbound and Broly, you play against Zangya, Bojack and Brolly. THe main story covers only the Cell Games unfortunatelly.

The third is the most poor of the 3. No story mode, the only way to play some kind of story, is to play the CUstom tournament mode and win the competition.

SOme trivia now. All DBZ games of that era have a common. CAuse back at early 1990's, Dragon Ball Anime got distributed outisde of Japan. In USA the initial show did not go too good in ratings so the show was cancelled. But for some reason it was bery succesfull in France, Spain, Italy and Greece. So the show rights were bought by France and in the rest European countries it was localized base on French Version.

The same happened to Video Games localizations, you can find a ROM with French edition but not an Official English one. Of course now with modded ROMS , it is the easiest way to find an English-patchesd ROM, but back then, it was either Japan version or French.

The official releases for West, started when first in USA they started re-broadcasting reapeats of the series only the DBZ series , heavily edited to censor violence, and they edited many episodes, shortening them a lot for the broadcast shake, in a late night kids cartoon TV zone, and the show in the repeat did better rating than the original broadcast. It was then that the USA regained the series rights from TOEI animation, and bought again the whole episodes and dubbed them again in better quality studios, creating the Dragon Ball phainomenon for the Western World. UK and Germany followed after USA and the rest Europe that had DBZ already in a legendary status, just got better quality dubs with better localizations.

That result had also impact in DBZ video games, cause we now could have official English releases and not fanmade translations. :)

Back
Top Bottom