The Retro-PES Corner

Nope, definitely K-League WE9 (SLKA-25321). I just can't find it at all and I'm not alone in that. Even tried hinting to it to a Korean YouTuber to drop an ISO. He wasn't keen! 🙃 So a gold star to whoever can find it!

Someone sell it from korean website, it's used though, idk if the site is legit or not, maybe some korean here can confirm.

http://itempage3.auction.co.kr/DetailView.aspx?itemno=C275152100

That price is f'in nuts for an old used game maybe because it's rare.

Next stop on my Euro tour was on Winning Eleven 6.

Pretty fantastic game, haven't noticed many general differences with Pes 2 (did an Euro on the former as well to compare the two); just as a sensation, I saw more aerial fouls on WE6 (something unfortunately the saga didn't built on much later on, as I think here they were decently implemented. I can still remember that when I saw Winning Eleven 6 for the first time at a friends house many years ago, I noticed one right in the first match we played and I was so pumped at the idea Konami was introducing new real life elements like that one!) but can't say for sure with my limited time on both. A certain big one, instead, is the push the ball away while running mechanic with R1+R2, totally absent in WE6 and present (therefore, introduced for the first time ever in the saga I guess) in Pes 2.

As I said above, anyway, fantastic title that probably doesn't need much talk. I have neglected this portion of the saga for a long time, but taking it back in my hands for a longer session after so many years it feels so fresh, from the artistic direction to the gameplay. Had a bit more success in my tries this time (arrived in semifinal with Sweden, and lost against Netherlands) but couldn't won the Cup. Some goals I scored that I particularly liked:

Loved in particular the two headers, especially the Larsson one in the end.. so satisfying to anticipate the defender with supercancel and impact the ball that way. I had flashes of a real life goal I saw as a kid identical to this one, but couldn't precisely recall it lol.

This little retake convinced me that sooner or later I'll do a whole run on WE6- J-League.

I bought PES 2021 today for $10. For the life of me, I cannot tell the difference between 2019-2020-2021 except that each year the control feels so much heavier and less responsive as if someone puts lead weights inside the players?

i was playing the 93/94 final on the EC-UCL Finals PES 6 patch (with added faces like Stoichkov, Gary Neville, Van Basten and Gullit) and we (Barca) went 2-0 down before Romario scored to make it 2-1 then in the 84th minutes Romario scored again and we won eventually on penalties 12-13 Stoichkov was shit in the game though and missed an open chance

Just out of interest, are you playing as an edited or original team as I wonder if that makes a difference. I always use PES United or WE United edited into my own team for ML.
I normally play as a default match mode team. Last time I was Fiorentina for example, with all their players. That probably makes a difference.

I recently talked with a friend who plays PES competitively. All the meta talk made my head spinning, and looking at competitive players' hands you wouldn't know whether they are playing PES or Street Fighter. It's not even resembling a football match anymore, it's like Pong on steroids - after all winning is the only thing that matters

I certainly would get murdered playing them - I don't even play modern PES to understand how to play it "correctly", but I feel kinda sad that this is the way forward for the game

Just out of interest

1 - Does anyone else here use the d-pad instead of analogue? I never liked the PS2 analogue

2 - Are there any unofficial controllers better than the official PS2 ones?

I moved to analogue when I first got x360 controller for PC. Back on PS2 I think I used D-Pad.

Was just too weird using d-pad at that point!

Just out of interest

1 - Does anyone else here use the d-pad instead of analogue? I never liked the PS2 analogue

2 - Are there any unofficial controllers better than the official PS2 ones?
Can you define unofficial?

From my understanding, it's Xbox 360 for windows and Logitech. Ergonomy vs sustainability.

Then Nacon are some decent controllers.

As personal experience I would suggest avoid any imitation, no brand, that looks like a burgaim, like below 15€ or 2 game pads in 1 cable for 20€, general most unknown game pads I've bought, lasted maximum 6~10 months.

So the money you save from low price, you loose them by the low product life cycle.

So... this happened. Felt like writing about it here to vent with people who probably understand the pain better than anyone else.

PES 2012 ML with my beloved Hjorwesland, which are literally the worst team in the game and that's the reason they were my choice.
Even made new crests and kits for them through the ML, it was a really personal team to me really.
It's Season 3, after a 1st season close to the bottom of the D2 table, our club's real place before the ML began anyways, and a 2nd season alternating between top and bottom, and ultimately ending midtable, finally we're fighting at the top, it's the last game and a victory at home guarantees promotion, maybe even the D2 title.

Regardless of the result, it was going to be my last season in this ML, and ending on a high note would be the best.

The match starts and we're 1x0 up, after that we lost a chance at the last play before half time, the ball just had to hit the post instead of going to the goal.
In the 2nd half, more missed chances until finally the goal comes... For them, and then in the last ball of the game they make it 2x1.
The final whistle comes and my players aren't celebrating, which meant we missed out on promotion, after looking at the table it came to me that the win would've given us the title, and the draw would've given us promotion, maybe even the title really, but my dissapointment was too much so i'm not sure, didn't look at the table for too long, that last shot just ruined it all.

No words to be honest, not even a rage at the end, just stared at the screen kind of speechless, this couldn't have been more painful and dissapointing, almost feels like the game did it on purpose.

I'm sure my fellow forum members have probably experienced this before in PES through the years, but man, this was the first time something like this happened to me and it feels pretty awful tbh, hopefully someone can relate to the pain this game can bring sometimes lol.

So... this happened. Felt like writing about it here to vent with people who probably understand the pain better than anyone else.

PES 2012 ML with my beloved Hjorwesland, which are literally the worst team in the game and that's the reason they were my choice.
Even made new crests and kits for them through the ML, it was a really personal team to me really.
It's Season 3, after a 1st season close to the bottom of the D2 table, our club's real place before the ML began anyways, and a 2nd season alternating between top and bottom, and ultimately ending midtable, finally we're fighting at the top, it's the last game and a victory at home guarantees promotion, maybe even the D2 title.

Regardless of the result, it was going to be my last season in this ML, and ending on a high note would be the best.

The match starts and we're 1x0 up, after that we lost a chance at the last play before half time, the ball just had to hit the post instead of going to the goal.
In the 2nd half, more missed chances until finally the goal comes... For them, and then in the last ball of the game they make it 2x1.
The final whistle comes and my players aren't celebrating, which meant we missed out on promotion, after looking at the table it came to me that the win would've given us the title, and the draw would've given us promotion, maybe even the title really, but my dissapointment was too much so i'm not sure, didn't look at the table for too long, that last shot just ruined it all.

No words to be honest, not even a rage at the end, just stared at the screen kind of speechless, this couldn't have been more painful and dissapointing, almost feels like the game did it on purpose.

I'm sure my fellow forum members have probably experienced this before in PES through the years, but man, this was the first time something like this happened to me and it feels pretty awful tbh, hopefully someone can relate to the pain this game can bring sometimes lol.
Happened more than a couple of times to me, in a form or another (lost finals, failed promotions, out of european cups for a spit etc.). After the sharp disappointment of the moment vanish, you realize situations like those ones contributes to the narrative maybe even more than the victories.

Hi all, first-time poster here. I grew up with PES 4, 5 and 6 (though I probably spent the most time with 2008 on the PS2... haha). I've just finished playing some matches with Winning Eleven 9 Liveware Evolution Geezer 2005-06 (the auto-installer was terrific) but I'm unable to get the D3DOverrider to open up in Windows 10. Does anyone have any ideas for how I can fix this?

i was playing the 93/94 final on the EC-UCL Finals PES 6 patch (with added faces like Stoichkov, Gary Neville, Van Basten and Gullit) and we (Barca) went 2-0 down before Romario scored to make it 2-1 then in the 84th minutes Romario scored again and we won eventually on penalties 12-13 Stoichkov was shit in the game though and missed an open chance
Can you send the link to it here? Sounds interesting

In a little while you’ll look back on that game with fondness. All I want from a football game is to be engaged emotionally. That means lows as well as highs. After all, that’s what happens in real football too right?

My own version would probably be going for an unbeaten season (would have then ended the ML) and playing Chelsea in the CL final. Despite being way ahead of them in the league it was a really scrappy game. Ended 1-1 and they beat me on pens. Felt like the whole season was a failure! I love looking back on moments like that though, I get invested in PES like no other game.

In a little while you’ll look back on that game with fondness. All I want from a football game is to be engaged emotionally. That means lows as well as highs. After all, that’s what happens in real football too right?
Oh yeah that's true. We all look back to the older games with a sort of rose tinted glasses and use to remember them for the good things they provided us while usually forgetting the bad ones.
I mean, everybody loves PES 5 right? Too bad that there was a glitch that would allow almost everyone to score from a free kick in the 40-45 metres range because the keeper would place himself in the wrong position, no-matter-what, and could then be easily beaten by a dipping shot.
It was just a matter of getting timing and power right, and it was a goal 99% of the times.

Imagine seeing this, but three to four times per match (please go to the one minute mark manually if thre link doesn't work, it looks that timing indicators get lost while embedding):

Last edited:
Reactions: MKC

My own version would probably be going for an unbeaten season (would have then ended the ML) and playing Chelsea in the CL final. Despite being way ahead of them in the league it was a really scrappy game. Ended 1-1 and they beat me on pens. Felt like the whole season was a failure! I love looking back on moments like that though, I get invested in PES like no other game.

Very well put. I too want an return on my emotional investment in a game, and the older titles - with their variety - give me more of that. They give you the lows, the heartache, and the frustration, whether you think it's warranted or not. Take my second last ML video. That Lawson miss against WE United was a gut wrencher, but I flapped and pressed the shoot button way too long. I'll take the hit. But the second goal against Benfica was the work of the Konami gods, as my defence was rendered immobile beyond my control.

Although it gives you the shit it also gives you the sugar, which I haven't felt from a football game in about five years. You'll get your reward for sinking in the hours, tinkering with the tactics, defending like your life's on the line, working the ball as a team, the odd shot from 40 yards. It does - like real football - toy with your emotions. More recent games are so rigid, robotic and lifeless that they just don't give you the same feelings.

Oh yeah that's true. We all look back to the older games with a sort of rose tinted glasses and use to remember them for the good things they provided us while usually forgetting the bad ones.
I mean, everybody loves PES 5 right? Too bad that there was a glitch that would allow almost everyone to score from a free kick in the 40-45 metres range because the keeper would place himself in the wrong position, no-matter-what, and could then be easily beaten by a dipping shot.
It was just a matter of getting timing and power right, and it was a goal 99% of the times.

Imagine seeing this, but three to four times per match (please go to the one minute mark manually if thre link doesn't work, it looks that timing indicators get lost while embedding):

There are exploits even in modern games and probably there always will be. If they are not really intrusive, in my opinion they don't detract anything to the experience. What would the point be anyway in searching something so specific and unrealistic as a precise 45 meters free kick shoot lob just cause it's a (probably) sure goal if you are trying to somehow replicate football? Or, to talk about a modern one, my mind goes to the guy here on Evoweb who years ago recorded that long ass complete match in Pes 2017 in which he kept the ball all the time with small changes of direction as some kind of proof of 2017 being broken. Why would somebody even play like that? To "beat" the game? I used to think this was the way to go as well years ago, to the point of being put off even at the most abstruse, lame and obscure glitches, now I'm at the complete opposite (the "how" you beat it being radically more important than the "if").

Then, of course, if the exploit is invadent it's another matter. Foe example in Pes 2016 shooting and defenses were so broken any shoot or through ball would result in a goal chance or something; in the holy Pes 6 top dribblers are too op even with the most simple movements, so that the times I play it I have to either go with a very average team or with some global stats reduction. In similar cases it can be problematic to the whole thing.

But in most of Pes games, old gen or even Ps3 era, the glitches/exploits imho are usually decently hidden, and if you play football they don't stand much if at all in the way. Besides, if I had to choose between a game with no exploits at all, but completely unable to deliver proper football variety, and another one in which I had to blind my eye to some kind of glitch, but full of different field situations, I'd choose the latter in an heartbeat.

p.s. with that video you reminded me all the bad words I said to Marchetti in that occasion. He was a generally great keeper in his best years, but he occasionally had some kind of gargantuan problem on any kind of free kick. Roma also almost drawn in the last second lol.

There are exploits even in modern games and probably there always will be. If they are not really intrusive, in my opinion they don't detract anything to the experience. [...] now I'm at the complete opposite (the "how" you beat it being radically more important than the "if").
Oh I'm 100% with you on this. Sorry if I maybe wasn't clear enough.

I was very good at free kicks in PES 5 (Baseggio was a joy to use in that game despite not having insane FK stats) and hardly ever resorted to that glitch unless someone else would try it against me first, "calling for it".

It was just to say that every game has its own glitches and shortcomings and that we tend to "forgive" more the older ones because they meant so much to us. I mean, one of the best periods of my life was the one in which PES 3 to 6 got released (last year of high school + university) and that's probably why they mean so much to me.
Thus, I'm more than willing to "forget" their shortcomings because they're absolutely minor (and not gamebreaking, as you rightly say) compared to the joy those games provided.
Also PES 6 had that deadly cut back pass that more often than not would result in an open goal scoring chance, but it didn't by any means make the game worse to me even if I *knew* it was there. ☺️

There was, I saw it!

-----

Been searching for this OF everywhere. Gutted. Why do I have the replays but not the option file FFS?! What a tit.
I don't know if it's the one you're looking for, but somehow I found this inside Sany's option file collection for PES5. Maybe, if you're interested you can check it out.

Attachments

• Ultimate Scottish.rar
    858 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom