The Retro-PES Corner

last night I had a dream of watching people playing PES and I remembered the 2011 scoreboard. Woke up and I see you guys talking about PES 2011. Scary
You're lucky after all.
I had a dream of being a geologist living in California (you know where I'm heading, don't you?) and having a room in my house full of equipment and enormous gears I should use to "prevent the Big One from happening" but I didn't know how to operate them.
I just had no clue, but people's lives depended on me being able to operate them at the right time and in the right way. That was frightening.

I should pay more attention to what I eat for dinner. 😁

@*aLe I once dreamt that Laurel and Hardy took over as co Portsmouth managers. That would have been another fine mess. To be fair there's been worse appointments.

Bizarrely, I'm in a similar situation. I found a site too, from which I downloaded some of the Korean games, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called! Think it was maybe Australian.

Here's a challenge for all you ISO hunters: K-League Winning Eleven 9. Whoever finds it gets an elusive prize: my undying respect.
Do you by accident mean J-League we9?
All I found is some K-league we8 and J-league we9.
Could not spot K-League & we9.

Although it was a surface search cause I am from mobile phone. I think I must search from a PC and go deep inside dark links of YouTube description links, to check for links health, to be a proper search.

In other news, watched @MafiaMurderBag video last night, it was wonderfully, even better than the 1st episode IMHO. Loved specially the early ISS part and the spotlight. Also learned about its early Stadium editor and the early ISS shop. As the video accurately said, I never had the patience to go more than some friendly matches in that ISS reboots, and never explored that features. Well said :)

Can't wait for part 3, despite it will be focused on next-gen ps3/Xbox 360 PES, I am curious if it will be added in the narration that pes2008ps2 >>>pes2008ps3. And if yes, how he will fit it in the nextgen story telling. :)

Finally, after finishing the video with a sweet nostalgic taste, I would like to ask, What is the BIGGEST KONAMI Guff you remember in any PES modern or retro???

Mine is , H. Trabelsi playing for Arsenal in PES 4. :D (although, I can feel the Konami's good intentions behind this guff)

Finally, after finishing the video with a sweet nostalgic taste, I would like to ask, What is the BIGGEST KONAMI Guff you remember in any PES modern or retro???
I was thinking about him yesterday while playing PES 5 (yeah, I caved in and re-installed PES 4 to 6 after seeing the video, with 3 already being present on my rig)...
He was an absolute beast in PES 5 too and I wondered how on Earth they managed to gift him with those stats. I mean, he surely was a good defender but those stats? Nah.

Do you by accident mean J-League we9?
All I found is some K-league we8 and J-league we9.
Could not spot K-League & we9.

Although it was a surface search cause I am from mobile phone. I think I must search from a PC and go deep inside dark links of YouTube description links, to check for links health, to be a proper search.

Nope, definitely K-League WE9 (SLKA-25321). I just can't find it at all and I'm not alone in that. Even tried hinting to it to a Korean YouTuber to drop an ISO. He wasn't keen! 🙃 So a gold star to whoever can find it!

Mine is , H. Trabelsi playing for Arsenal in PES 4. :D (although, I can feel the Konami's good intentions behind this guff)

I wish I'd taken note of all these similar errors as I was doing my option files. Players in squads when the transfer didn't happen or fell through; duplicate players (not in the traditional PES sense, but when Lauren appears as both Lauren and Etame in a Cameroon squad); players appearing even though they retired years previously. Yes there was a lot less information back then than there is now but still; so many swings and so many misses.

While on the subject of PS2 PES (which we mainly are of course) I'm yet to find a game from this era which provides a ML with actual transfer offers for your own players.

I can't remember getting any on PES 5, I got one on PES 2011 (PS2) and then one when I switched back to PES 2008 (PS2) That was three seasons ago.

I've also noticed that, ten seasons in on this ML, the teams around me have yet to move on their oldies. There's even some fortysomething players in the league and a hell of a lot of thirtysomethings.

Generally, which PS2 PES has the most robust ML for a long campaign?

PES3 has the best transfers system. Here, take a look at this CPU Bayern Munich squad (it was season 5 btw from @Madmac79 ML)

pes3 2020-12-25 21-18-11-57.jpgpes3 2020-12-25 21-18-24-76.jpg

In other news, watched @MafiaMurderBag video last night, it was wonderfully, even better than the 1st episode IMHO. Loved specially the early ISS part and the spotlight. Also learned about its early Stadium editor and the early ISS shop. As the video accurately said, I never had the patience to go more than some friendly matches in that ISS reboots, and never explored that features. Well said :)

Can't wait for part 3, despite it will be focused on next-gen ps3/Xbox 360 PES, I am curious if it will be added in the narration that pes2008ps2 >>>pes2008ps3. And if yes, how he will fit it in the nextgen story telling. :)

Thank you, The ISS period was interesting because while the games were generally inferior, it's both a positive and fascinating when creators venture off and innovate their own ideas, ISS did have some interesting ones as well as recycled old features that never carried over into PES such as the coin toss and scenario modes. There's some animations that do look great in ISS too so like I said at the end of the ISS 3 section, having lots of options for Football games is was a privilege back then compared to now but one can't help but wonder what ISS 6 alongside PES 6 could've been like. But that's business for you and the fact they only released in Europe tells you they had a limited projection to begin with and unsurprisingly didn't sell enough to justify paying a team to keep making them.

As far as PES 2008 onwards on PS2, I was thinking about doing a bonus episode covering ports and spinoffs like the legacy PS2 titles, PSP, DS and Wii because they're too interesting not to talk about but for the sake of brevity I didn't want to bloat out EP2 too much, Not only is it intended for long time fans but also for people newer to the series and didn't grow up with them and may be curios so the last thing they need is an info dump.

And Konami Guffs? Gosh, take your pick but I think it's fairer to scrutinise anything in the last 10 years as due to the experience and reputation of the company, the 2 that stand out for me shouldn't have taken place and that's the stripped back, bare bones PES 2014 as launch and the debacle with PES 2016's outdated roster at launch too.

Quick "technical" question for the ones playing PES 6 on PC.
What do you think about the new body shape by Alegor for PES 6 (and about the new kit model 33 UV map which would allow us to convert PES 2018+ kits almost on the fly)?
Yay or nay?

The new body model is a huge step forward from a technical standpoint and it's surely more realistic in terms of how the kits fit the players' body shapes nowadays. He deserves huge applauses for what he accomplished, that's for sure... Yet I think it kinda "brings away" the original PES 6 feeling (a thing which, in all honesty, is not good).
The chance to convert PES 2018+ textures into PES6 ones almost instantly, on the other hand, is a very very useful thing to have, especially because we don't have many PES 6 kitmakers anymore... I just wish we could use those textures with the default body model to make it look more "PES 6-ish". 😢

@*aLe I like it but I also like the slimmer versions that you can now make quickly thanks to @PeterC10 's PES6 import csv option and now with @marqisspes6 PES5 csv importer as well. In the past changing all the players physique with the in game editor was a mind numbing thought that for me certainly never got beyond a thought. Now I tend to use a rough formula between height/weight and balance to get a rough physique and use 0 and the odd 1 as the highest figures, starting at around -6 for the smallest players. Pasted from excel into the csv and imported is just a few clicks and that's it.

However if it means PES18 kits can be easily converted to PES6 then that has to be a huge bonus.

Finally got my favorite adboards of all time, Champions League 2004 to 2006, working. Artemio Franchi adboard map is perfect for these

2021-06-02 00_33_29-Slot_ 0 _ Speed_ 100% (59.94) _ NTSC _ Limiter_ Normal _ D3D11 _ 1536x1344...jpg

Nope, definitely K-League WE9 (SLKA-25321). I just can't find it at all and I'm not alone in that. Even tried hinting to it to a Korean YouTuber to drop an ISO. He wasn't keen! 🙃 So a gold star to whoever can find it!

My friend, I think I know which version you are looking for. I found it on a brazilian patch blog, it even has a lot of rare old patches. Take a look.
Sorry for the bad english, i'm brazilian

https://museudospatches.blogspot.com/2020/05/winning-eleven-9-liveware-evolution.html?m=1

What do you think about the new body shape by Alegor for PES 6 (and about the new kit model 33 UV map which would allow us to convert PES 2018+ kits almost on the fly)?
Yay or nay?

The new body model is a huge step forward from a technical standpoint and it's surely more realistic in terms of how the kits fit the players' body shapes nowadays. He deserves huge applauses for what he accomplished, that's for sure... Yet I think it kinda "brings away" the original PES 6 feeling (a thing which, in all honesty, is not good).
The chance to convert PES 2018+ textures into PES6 ones almost instantly, on the other hand, is a very very useful thing to have, especially because we don't have many PES 6 kitmakers anymore... I just wish we could use those textures with the default body model to make it look more "PES 6-ish". 😢
I agree, I mean it's a compromise between whatever it takes to get the kits updated for those who like to play PES 6 with the most updated assets but to me part of the charm of playing the older games with modern rosters is the novelty, the juxtaposition of it looking like a throwback to how it did growing up but with the time paradox of modern players immortalised in retro form.

A lot of these mods basically try to make PES 6 look like a modern game in too many areas to the point nothing is cohesive and just looks like a mess. These HD player faces which just look low effort and tacky and are just offensive to those of us who are fans of the classic Konami art direction.

15 years ago when PES 5/6 were the active game, Face makers actually tried to make their faces match the default Konami ones aesthetically so it all looked consistent but now the HD faces just look like cheap fancy dress Halloween masks with sharp angles, massive noses and cardboard looking hair textures.

At least with Fabri's and The FLS patches, they made patches for those games with assets that would've been more faithful to the time period.

My friend, I think I know which version you are looking for. I found it on a brazilian patch blog, it even has a lot of rare old patches. Take a look.
Sorry for the bad english, i'm brazilian

https://museudospatches.blogspot.com/2020/05/winning-eleven-9-liveware-evolution.html?m=1

Your English is pretty good - much better than my Portuguese!

Sadly that's not the one. It's this one.

It's exactly the same as the Japanese J.League version, but in Korean and the K-League teams given more prominence. But the collector in me still wants it! 😄

PES3 has the best transfers system. Here, take a look at this CPU Bayern Munich squad (it was season 5 btw from @Madmac79 ML)

View attachment 103372View attachment 103373
When they spent more than two weeks balancing and fixing the Master League.

I also agree with your signature, Pes 3 is the best football game ever. I actually recently understood that i prefer it to Pes 5, even if that game is another masterpiece.

I remember that one.:DD

Are you working on a file for the upcoming Euros geeeee ?. And if so, for which game ?
Hi, good to see you lurking around here again. Regarding an option file for the Euros, i am updating my current 2008 PS2 one but only with the players that i already have included in it. The reason is because i don’t want to be overwriting players with new ones as this would affect my ML save. I will release it soon. :)
While on the subject of PS2 PES (which we mainly are of course) I'm yet to find a game from this era which provides a ML with actual transfer offers for your own players.

I can't remember getting any on PES 5, I got one on PES 2011 (PS2) and then one when I switched back to PES 2008 (PS2) That was three seasons ago.

I've also noticed that, ten seasons in on this ML, the teams around me have yet to move on their oldies. There's even some fortysomething players in the league and a hell of a lot of thirtysomethings.

Generally, which PS2 PES has the most robust ML for a long campaign?
I am still getting offers in 2008 after 4 seasons. Not loads but a few in preseason.
I agree, I mean it's a compromise between whatever it takes to get the kits updated for those who like to play PES 6 with the most updated assets but to me part of the charm of playing the older games with modern rosters is the novelty, the juxtaposition of it looking like a throwback to how it did growing up but with the time paradox of modern players immortalised in retro form.

A lot of these mods basically try to make PES 6 look like a modern game in too many areas to the point nothing is cohesive and just looks like a mess. These HD player faces which just look low effort and tacky and are just offensive to those of us who are fans of the classic Konami art direction.

15 years ago when PES 5/6 were the active game, Face makers actually tried to make their faces match the default Konami ones aesthetically so it all looked consistent but now the HD faces just look like cheap fancy dress Halloween masks with sharp angles, massive noses and cardboard looking hair textures.

At least with Fabri's and The FLS patches, they made patches for those games with assets that would've been more faithful to the time period.
You sum up exactly how i feel about those faces. I couldnt put it into words but you just did.

On the subject of player models, i’ve started giving most players a tummy tuck on mine with a -1 to the original waist line :LOL: Along with that i am untucking shirts too :LOL:

Last edited:
Yay or nay?

the worst thing ever invented.

Bought a hard drive and PS2 adapter which arrived today. Recommended if you want to play on the native tech. I was using OPL through FreeMCBoot from USBs, but they could be quite slow; would get red hot; and have issues with fragmented files (like I know what that means).

No trouble with the HDD so far so it looks like these issues are overcome, with the added bonus of the HDD having a much bigger capacity. £42 all in.

20210602_153709.jpg

Picked up PES 3 for my trusty PS2 today. 50p all in. 👍

Stuck it in for a couple of friendlies and was stunned at the quality. The gameplay and AI is amazing. I played it back in the day but had forgotten this gem while going back to PES 5, 6 and 2008.

Sadly, I don't have my original option file. What's the easiest way to get one installed on my PS2? If there are still any about that is.

Stuck it in for a couple of friendlies and was stunned at the quality. The gameplay and AI is amazing. I played it back in the day but had forgotten this gem while going back to PES 5, 6 and 2008.

Sadly, I don't have my original option file. What's the easiest way to get one installed on my PS2? If there are still any about that is.

For file transfers and many other things, get yourself a FreeMCBoot memory card. Cheap to buy (official memory card recommended) or do yourself (even a clown like me managed using this guide).

Will allow you to play "copies" and patches without a disc as well (like my previous post). And one of the apps lets you transfer game saves to and from a memory card and USB with ease.

Feel free to DM me if you need more info!

Great game indeed (I do have it for PC).
I started a ML not long ago with Hertha Berlin (well, their unlicensed version of course) for a test and it went pretty well.
I miss some of the features that PES 5 and 6 have (like snow, or kit mixing, or banners being chosen per-team and not per-stadium) but the gameplay of PES 3 is pretty good despite it having, of course, its shortcomings.

Playing in fullscreen, with a proper resolution, with the camera zoomed out a little and with the right angle I must say that it doesn't look like it's a game released almost 18 years ago.
Boy I feel SOOOOOOOO old now if I think that PES 3 was the first game of the PES series I ever played in 2003 (well, of course I had played ISS many times before but that's a different story).

I think new body models very much fit "modern day" patches (current season) but I would keep old one for retro patches (like mid 00s and back).

Massive achievement overall and great to see PS2 PES modding still progress after so many years!! 🐑
Yeah pretty much my stance.
I think that these bodies look good for a 2020/21 patch as the kits aren't baggy anymore like they used to be 15 years ago, but by using them I feel I'm kinda "betraying" the original PES spirit.

I mean, I came to the conclusion that I don't want PES 6 to look like a 2021 game. I want PES 6 to still look like PES 6 (with better kits, better footballs maybe, better boots although still in Konami's style, better quality logos and emblems) but I don't want it to look too much different from what it was.
I was tempted to use tattoos for example (yeah, now you can also assign custom tattoos to every player you want) for some of the "star players" of the OF I'm making (basically I'm trying to slowly port my "100% unlicensed" OF from PES 3 to PES 6) but then I decided to do without them because they would be too far from what PES 6 used to be.

Yeah pretty much my stance.
I think that these bodies look good for a 2020/21 patch as the kits aren't baggy anymore like they used to be 15 years ago, but by using them I feel I'm kinda "betraying" the original PES spirit.

I mean, I came to the conclusion that I don't want PES 6 to look like a 2021 game. I want PES 6 to still look like PES 6 (with better kits, better footballs maybe, better boots although still in Konami's style, better quality logos and emblems) but I don't want it to look too much different from what it was.
I was tempted to use tattoos for example (yeah, now you can also assign custom tattoos to every player you want) for some of the "star players" of the OF I'm making (basically I'm trying to slowly port my "100% unlicensed" OF from PES 3 to PES 6) but then I decided to do without them because they would be too far from what PES 6 used to be.

My tuppence worth: neither of them look right. The originals look too chunky now, but that new body shape suggests everyone is built like Ronaldo - freakishly lean with narrow shoulders.

But as a purist I'm very much for staying true to the look Konami intended. I've always been of an opinion that the best patches are ones that make the game look like the original but fully licenced. Like the Original Season patch. The number of patches that reskin PES 5/6 as PES 2021 makes me cringe, especially when the patch is named PES 2021, with no allusion to the game the patch is based on. Brazilian modding community is particularly bad for it, and you'll often see PES 5/6 streamed as PES 2021.

Speaking of Brazilian modders, for all you SNES ISS fans:

The originals look too chunky now
Yeah, that's true unfortunately.
But I'd need a model like that should I decide to put myself in the game, so long live the original PES 6 player model. 😁

But as a purist I'm very much for staying true to the look Konami intended. I've always been of an opinion that the best patches are ones that make the game look like the original
I agree even if I'm trying to achieve exactly the opposite result: 100% unlicensed game to have a more rewarding ML experience.
You can't just go outside and shop for Ronaldo and Mbappé (or for Zidane and Shevchenko, in the original season) already knowing where to find them. Go outside and scout unknown players instead!
...who would have ever thought that that Peixoto guy playing for Rhein would be the best forward ever? Oh wait, a wild van Dahl from Garbatella appears. The Belgian is younger, he's quicker... But nowhere near as powerful. Who'd you choose?

On the subject of transfers, I always get a few offers on PES5. Not as much as I'd like, but enough to make it interesting. I've been offered trades regularly too, though the players they try and sell me are always terrible. I would say offers for about 3/4 players every summer window. Quite often you'll get multiple offers for the same player, usually two or three clubs offering different packages. The only thing I've never had is a loan offer, and come to think of it I've never even made one myself.

On the subject of transfers, I always get a few offers on PES5. Not as much as I'd like, but enough to make it interesting. I've been offered trades regularly too, though the players they try and sell me are always terrible. I would say offers for about 3/4 players every summer window. Quite often you'll get multiple offers for the same player, usually two or three clubs offering different packages. The only thing I've never had is a loan offer, and come to think of it I've never even made one myself

Just out of interest, are you playing as an edited or original team as I wonder if that makes a difference. I always use PES United or WE United edited into my own team for ML.

Last edited:

Well, will this be the end of the road, or are Juve on the playoff path?

The former! Gutted but so many missed chances. Again.

Still got the cup final to go. And then that's me at the end of my planned six seasons. Been so much more difficult than I thought and not helped by how much the teams in the division strengthened over the seasons.

As a result it's been duller than I'd hoped but I've stuck to it. Will definitely be continuing, with transfers and saying goodbye to the old guard, but probably not on YouTube. Certainly not as regularly.

Back
Top Bottom