The Retro-PES Corner

It's particularly grating when it comes to your Celtic nations, and you see MCGINN, MCMANUS, MCDONALD, etc. Looks awful. Some names need that definition.

At least it wasn't as bad as it is now, when you read that you've just signed A. FOOTBALLER in your Master League news feed.
Oh my gosh. Again, It's like someone with a lot less life experience and understanding of the fundamentals of naming conventions and text authorised this and said "It gives PES a much needed ATTITUDE DUDE!"

Like it's some kind of borked psychology tactic that nobody asked for.

Oh my gosh. Again, It's like someone with a lot less life experience and understanding of the fundamentals of naming conventions and text authorised this and said "It gives PES a much needed ATTITUDE DUDE!"

A case of how-could-anyone-look-at-that-and-think-yeah-cool. Konami is bloody brilliant at them.

Anyway, back to real, retro business:

Cup games, especially, were pretty tasty. Some friendly faces scoring against me, too! Penultimate episode, maybe. Not sure what to do with it yet.

Been a while since I posted because been a bit busy with other things. Finally got the EUROs finished.

Here are the semi finals.

Wales (me) v Denmark

England (me) v Poland

@Flipper the Priest sorry I am being too lazy to look back on previous posts. Did you finish your EUROs?

PS. Just reading through the last page maybe I should have wrote it like this...

FLIPPER! DID YOU FINISH YOUR EUROS? :LOL:

Last edited:
h my gosh. Again, It's like someone with a lot less life experience and understanding of the fundamentals of naming conventions and text authorised this and said "It gives PES a much needed ATTITUDE DUDE!"

To be fair the shouty names look better in that thick blurry PS2 font, lowercase characters are comically bad in that font

Been a while since I posted because been a bit busy with other things. Finally got the EUROs finished.

Here are the semi finals.

Wales (me) v Denmark

England (me) v Poland

@Flipper the Priest sorry I am being too lazy to look back on previous posts. Did you finish your EUROs?

PS. Just reading through the last page maybe I should have wrote it like this...

FLIPPER! DID YOU FINISH YOUR EUROS? :LOL:

YES and NO. I've finished playing it. The trophy has been lifted..But not committed it to film yet. This week, I hope...

20210524_221409.jpg

To be fair the shouty names look better in that thick blurry PS2 font, lowercase characters are comically bad in that font

Yeah they rarely help themselves with the typeface of choice. Lowercase and futuristic fonts often don't go well together.

Last edited:
Well here is PES2008 PS2's prediction of the EUROs final and really really REALLY bizarrely it features the same teams as @Flipper the Priest 's one.

Full match

Denmark v England (me)

Screenshot 2021-05-25 at 00.30.07.jpg

Kane finally gets his hands on a trophy. Maybe he will stay at Spurs now :CRY::) What is really uncanny is that Kane finished joint top scorer with Immobile on 7 goals and also finished out right top assister with 4.

England were just too good, whether I was playing against them or playing as them. Their attack is just so lethal, scoring goals from all areas. I really felt for Denmark, they have been fighters throughout the tournament. Only getting through as one of the third place teams because Cornelius scored in injury time against Russia. Cornelius, Poulsen, Eriksen, and Schmeichel were excellent too. It's a shame that Cornelius and Eriksen had a blue arrow for the final although I still picked Eriksen to play but he was pretty quiet. Strange too was that Kasper made a mistake for Sterling's goal just as he made a mistake against Spurs. I feel that if I had been Denmark the game would have been tighter though I think England would have still won.

Anyway, the whole competition has increased my love of PES2008 PS2. So many great moments and it has kept me occupied for about 2 or 3 months. I may take a break for a bit now although I still have my ML to go back to hmm... :THINK:

Also for those that are interested, I have uploaded the May update for my option file here https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/gees-pes2008-ps2-psp-option-file-20-21.85549/ :)

Last edited:
@geeeeee An England tournament win - PES is clearly broken. :LOL: We certainly have some attacking talent (provided Southgate doesn't adopt a cautious approach) but I fear for our defence against anyone decent. I just hope he starts Foden.

@Chris Davies what's the stance on uploading PS2 ISOs and linking them on Evo-Web in a topic? Some rare ISOs like WE9LE PS2 are harder to find, I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate having links easily available

Since Euros are around the corner, decided to to spam some Euro Cup on random retro chapters, most of them less explored mid editions but not only (also thinking about base ones like plain WEs that don't get much playtime in the west).

Started with WE 8 Liveware Evolution, and I'm having some solid fun. Played 3 tournies with mid teams and could never pass the group, but it was hella eventful. Speaking about gameplay.. defenses are always a bit too aggressive, but action is indeed very fluid, there are tons of fouls and CPU is lowkey one of the best of the saga. The latter is much better than the base WE8/Pes 4 chapters, it's both very varied and pragmatic. Recorded how England destroyed me (Norway) in my open match as a good demo:

Owen was a true nightmare, scoring a goal and inspiring the other two. Gerrard, just his real life counterpart, also put in a wonderful long shot for the fourth goal.

Incredible how we passed from one of the best offensive AI of the Ps2 era to the nothingness of the next chapter. Had the WE9 based chapters mantained half or hell, even a third of the stuff CPU is capable to do here we would have had the final game.

By the way, really curious to revive more old chapters. I'm usually a ML guy but Cups are sometimes a much better way to quickly immerse in the general aura of the game.

Since Euros are around the corner, decided to to spam some Euro Cup on random retro chapters, most of them less explored mid editions but not only (also thinking about base ones like plain WEs that don't get much playtime in the west).

Started with WE 8 Liveware Evolution, and I'm having some solid fun. Played 3 tournies with mid teams and could never pass the group, but it was hella eventful. Speaking about gameplay.. defenses are always a bit too aggressive, but action is indeed very fluid, there are tons of fouls and CPU is lowkey one of the best of the saga. The latter is much better than the base WE8/Pes 4 chapters, it's both very varied and pragmatic. Recorded how England destroyed me (Norway) in my open match as a good demo:

Owen was a true nightmare, scoring a goal and inspiring the other two. Gerrard, just his real life counterpart, also put in a wonderful long shot for the fourth goal.

Incredible how we passed from one of the best offensive AI of the Ps2 era to the nothingness of the next chapter. Had the WE9 based chapters mantained half or hell, even a third of the stuff CPU is capable to do here we would have had the final game.

By the way, really curious to revive more old chapters. I'm usually a ML guy but Cups are sometimes a much better way to quickly immerse in the general aura of the game.

I really like WE8LE. Played a cup in K-League WE8 too which is of a similar evolution. The daydreaming keepers are my biggest peeve with PES4/WE8 and that's addressed. Plus the weight of the ball feels perfect, maybe at its pinnacle on the console.

Cups are definitely a great way to explore a game. I was making the mistake of dotting around my collection, not getting enough time to get a feel for the game. I'm also an ML man but it just isn't feasible to have one with every game. So cups are the compromise. I've been having fun picking a random cup in a random game. From FIFA 97 to WE8LE to PES 2014, it fairly mixes it up!

I am having so much fun with PES 2012. It's a hard game especially with defending but it makes every CPU attack very dangerous. It's probably the toughest PES next to PES 3.

@Chris Davies what's the stance on uploading PS2 ISOs and linking them on Evo-Web in a topic? Some rare ISOs like WE9LE PS2 are harder to find, I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate having links easily available
I would consider it abandonware - it's not available to purchase any more (in a way that Konami can profit from at least). So I'd say that's fine.

No more cardboard for pitch in Cuito Cuanavale. Is there any way to change the pitch pattern? I like the Amsterdam Arena/Olimpico circle or no patterns at all
gsdx_20210526224527.jpg

I am having so much fun with PES 2012. It's a hard game especially with defending but it makes every CPU attack very dangerous. It's probably the toughest PES next to PES 3.

I had never played it before a few months ago, when the game was made available on these incredible boards. It's fucking hard! I dominate possession and overwhelm teams when I should if I'm a better team, but can't get the ball in the net for the life of me — and I love it. Granted, I usually play as 2011-12 Arsenal, so the inability to convert chances regularly is very much on-brand, but I find the challenge of PES 2012 to be very appealing. Goals scored against me aren't cheap, and I think the AI plays a good game and player personalities really show. I just wish there was more content available for it, like the wonderful Every 4 Years patch that is on 2013.

I was going to start a new thread with this question but thought i would keep it here with the retro peeps.

Now that the EURO 2020 squads will have 26 players, what do you think is the best way to decide who to include in the National team squads in an option file? As they only have 23 players.

I’m talking basic option file ‘in game’ editing.

I suppose the best way would be to leave out players that did not feature in EURO 2020 but that means waiting until the end or at least until the end of the group games.

Another way could be to go by how many minutes the players played in the qualifying stages. Soccerway is excellent for those stats.

Or it could be just picking the best players according to their stats.

Would be good to get your thoughts? :)

I was going to start a new thread with this question but thought i would keep it here with the retro peeps.

Now that the EURO 2020 squads will have 26 players, what do you think is the best way to decide who to include in the National team squads in an option file? As they only have 23 players.

I suppose the best way would be to leave out players that did not feature in EURO 2020 but that means waiting until the end or at least until the end of the group games.

Another way could be to go by how many minutes the players played in the qualifying stages. Soccerway is excellent for those stats.

26-man squads are kind of overkill, even after a difficult season. Shoot, Southgate named 33 before he needs to cut it down some more because not everyone is fit. I’d immediately start with the third GK, that gives you an additional outfield player so now you only have to leave out 2.

I had never played it before a few months ago, when the game was made available on these incredible boards. It's fucking hard! I dominate possession and overwhelm teams when I should if I'm a better team, but can't get the ball in the net for the life of me — and I love it. Granted, I usually play as 2011-12 Arsenal, so the inability to convert chances regularly is very much on-brand, but I find the challenge of PES 2012 to be very appealing. Goals scored against me aren't cheap, and I think the AI plays a good game and player personalities really show. I just wish there was more content available for it, like the wonderful Every 4 Years patch that is on 2013.

Yeah there needs to be more patches for it. Also team tactics feel very impactful. Whenever I play against big teams, I play with low blocks. Not much space between midfield and defenders and wingers tucked in with midfield and keep a striker ahead. And then whenever I intercept a pass, just play a lobbed through to the striker and it works against teams that have slow defense. And against bad teams that likes to sit back, I push up the defensive line and my CBs are like CDMs on that role and try to find space. It's so hard to find space but eventually the CPU's team loses concentration and I get a big clear chance. It's so rewarding.

One option would be to have a separate option file and put the Euro teams into the club teams, then you can have the full 26 players.

Certainly agree it seems complete overkill to have 26. I think Spain have only named 23 haven't they?

Anyone knows how to convert PS2 saves between regions? PES 2012 EU <-> US, PES 5 <-> WE9 US for example

26-man squads are kind of overkill, even after a difficult season. Shoot, Southgate named 33 before he needs to cut it down some more because not everyone is fit. I’d immediately start with the third GK, that gives you an additional outfield player so now you only have to leave out 2.
I did think about leaving out one of the goalkeepers but then I thought that would go against the usual choice of three keepers. Not that anyone ever uses their third choice keeper although in PES I have had to when two keepers were on a blue arrow.
One option would be to have a separate option file and put the Euro teams into the club teams, then you can have the full 26 players.

Certainly agree it seems complete overkill to have 26. I think Spain have only named 23 haven't they?
I did a National Team option file for PES5 a number of years ago because I wanted teams like Iceland and Ghana included but it meant doing twice as much work when updating player stats so that is a no no for me.

I have decided to definitely include those with squad numbers 1-11 and the rest I will pick depending on how many minutes they played in the qualifiers. Then after the tournament I will leave out those that did not play.

I checked out Spain's squad and they have picked 24 players. Probably just left out the Real Madrid players to make things easier. :P

hi guys . i'm playing pes 2017 on ps4. I wish to have the latest transfers. Does any patch excist which I can download ?

Barely played my WE9LE PS2 copy until today. Shows me again why it's considered to be the best or one of the best PES versions, and why I consider PES 5 to be the worst PES of all time. Instead of artificially making the game horrible to control WE9LE dialed down all the PES 5 bullshit like Bambi on ice touch and movement, trigger happy ref, AI impunity to any kind of physical play - you touch them, they shrug you off or ref calling a foul, yet the AI wins every single physical duel against you - while making possession play finally viable with a less heavy touch and more accurate through passing

Last edited:
Finally finished History of PES Episode 2, covering the golden generation of PES during the gaming renaissance that was The PS2 era.

Was a lot of fun making this one and I hope you all enjoy watching it as much as i did marathoning them all in release order for footage and research. 😊

A retrospective/mini documentary on the history and evolution of Pro Evolution Soccer. In Episode 2, We explore the series' incredible evolution & legacy on the best selling console of all time, The PlayStation 2.

Back
Top Bottom