The Retro-PES Corner

Every summer to me it's the time of the year when i look at these old Pes games videos and i think:"how could everything go so wrong since these games?" and every year there is a bit of hope that maybe that will be the year Konami understands again how to make great games like these.

Every year i get disappointed when the actual game releases.

Anyway, great video. I just watched the first one and there are plenty of interesting details i didn't know about.

Last edited:
Finally finished History of PES Episode 2, covering the golden generation of PES during the gaming renaissance that was The PS2 era.

Was a lot of fun making this one and I hope you all enjoy watching it as much as i did marathoning them all in release order for footage and research. 😊

A retrospective/mini documentary on the history and evolution of Pro Evolution Soccer. In Episode 2, We explore the series' incredible evolution & legacy on the best selling console of all time, The PlayStation 2.

Watched it fully yesterday, very good video (as even the first one was). Looking back to those old games (PES to PES 6) in sequence now it's difficult to believe that they all are from the same generation.
Just a thing (but maybe it's me that understood it wrong, and if it's the case my apologies): you said that PES 3 was the first game in which you could choose the referee if I understood correctly, but that was already possible in ISS 98 for example (although the referees to choose among were only three back then).

Other than that (which is a marginal marginal thing), I must admit that it is very well done.
Hope you don't mind if I download also this part of the history and keep it offline. :)

Watched it fully yesterday, very good video (as even the first one was). Looking back to those old games (PES to PES 6) in sequence now it's difficult to believe that they all are from the same generation.
Just a thing (but maybe it's me that understood it wrong, and if it's the case my apologies): you said that PES 3 was the first game in which you could choose the referee if I understood correctly, but that was already possible in ISS 98 for example (although the referees to choose among were only three back then).

Other than that (which is a marginal marginal thing), I must admit that it is very well done.
Hope you don't mind if I download also this part of the history and keep it offline. :)
Carlos, Heinz, Tanaka?

Carlos, Heinz, Tanaka?
The latter was Hasegawa in the version of the game I had (I think there were two versions which also had several little differences in the lineups, there was one with Valderrama on the cover while I had the one with Ince and Ravanelli, so maybe also the name of the referee was different between the two) but yes, it was them.
I remember Carlos being a son of a b**ch always running around with his cards at hand like "how dare you breathe? Here's a card for you!", Heinz being pretty balanced and Hasegawa/Tanaka being lenient, but the "oh, so you mowed him down? Didn't see that." kind of lenient.

The latter was Hasegawa in the version of the game I had (I think there were two versions which also had several little differences in the lineups, there was one with Valderrama on the cover while I had the one with Ince and Ravanelli, so maybe also the name of the referee was different between the two) but yes, it was them.
I remember Carlos being a son of a b**ch always running around with his cards at hand like "how dare you breathe? Here's a card for you!", Heinz being pretty balanced and Hasegawa/Tanaka being lenient, but the "oh, so you mowed him down? Didn't see that." kind of lenient.
The worst in my experience, was later in the series, he was Pabro/Pebro Sofia and was Greek by coincidence :D

He used to be a total mess, allowing slide tackles from behind without booking, then giving yellow card for shoulder charge. Ruining the nerves of both players.

I mean, most people name Kazuki Ito usually, but he at least is kind of predictable. You know that any touch or eye contact can result in directly red card.

Every summer to me it's the time of the year when i look at these old Pes games videos and i think:"how could everything go so wrong since these games?" and every year there is a bit of hope that maybe that will be the year Konami understands again how to make great games like these.

Every year i get disappointed when the actual game releases.

Anyway, great video. I just watched the first one and there are plenty of interesting details i didn't know about.
I do wonder to myself if they ever go back to these old games and use them for reference and inspiration, I mean it's likely that it's an almost completely different generation of developers that make the contemporary games now, However I can't say I've gone into the in-game credits and compared all the names to see who's consistently remained with the series since the PS2 games but it's doubtful it's many.

Not to mention gaming in general has changed so much since then that it's less about the art and accomplishment and more about the dopamine and dollar.

Thanks aLe, That's the most amazing thing isn't it, How much it truly evolved and grew in a span of 5 years, practically from scratch into the fully deep and sophisticated game it was by 5/6.

You might have been right however I think I was being pedantic by meaning the first Pro Evolution Soccer game your could select referees, So I can't remember I should place better emphasis on semantics but like you said, it's only minor.

Still, I could never find out what was the deal with Colina being on the cover but not in the game... Was it just a cover branding agreement? Was it time constraints in making his face and adding him to the database? (Maybe the marketing concept was a later idea in publishing as of course he's not marketed for WE7, If so, why was his face not included for PES 4?)

And yeah of course you can download it 😊

I do wonder to myself if they ever go back to these old games and use them for reference and inspiration, I mean it's likely that it's an almost completely different generation of developers that make the contemporary games now, However I can't say I've gone into the in-game credits and compared all the names to see who's consistently remained with the series since the PS2 games but it's doubtful it's many.

Not to mention gaming in general has changed so much since then that it's less about the art and accomplishment and more about the dopamine and dollar.

Thanks aLe, That's the most amazing thing isn't it, How much it truly evolved and grew in a span of 5 years, practically from scratch into the fully deep and sophisticated game it was by 5/6.

You might have been right however I think I was being pedantic by meaning the first Pro Evolution Soccer game your could select referees, So I can't remember I should place better emphasis on semantics but like you said, it's only minor.

Still, I could never find out what was the deal with Colina being on the cover but not in the game... Was it just a cover branding agreement? Was it time constraints in making his face and adding him to the database? (Maybe the marketing concept was a later idea in publishing as of course he's not marketed for WE7, If so, why was his face not included for PES 4?)

And yeah of course you can download it 😊
In a last year interview of a KONAMI "big" guy I read, regarding possible PES on Nintendo switch, he mentioned also about possible remasters of ISS or Golden age PES on Switch virtual machines consoles, he said that it is difficult cause there is cloud situation on old games copyright, cause the PES team has totally changed 100% since PS2 era and the KCEO team was liquidated and infused inside KONAMI.

From the context of his statement, I understand that the copyrights of old games may have some multiple complicated clauses.

I mean, when the mother company, needs to locate the missing developers from 15 years ago, to receive their agreement, the whole situation with the past dev teams looks cloudy mysterious enough.

Oh, sorry for that then. I must have misunderstood that part. My fault.
English isn't my native language (although your English is very clear also for non natives, I must say) and listening to it with the little princess making noise in the background (she's 6 and a half months old now but when she plays it feels like there's an earthquake ongoing) might have contributed to me not understanding it correctly. 😁

I did think about leaving out one of the goalkeepers but then I thought that would go against the usual choice of three keepers. Not that anyone ever uses their third choice keeper although in PES I have had to when two keepers were on a blue arrow.

I did a National Team option file for PES5 a number of years ago because I wanted teams like Iceland and Ghana included but it meant doing twice as much work when updating player stats so that is a no no for me.

I have decided to definitely include those with squad numbers 1-11 and the rest I will pick depending on how many minutes they played in the qualifiers. Then after the tournament I will leave out those that did not play.

I checked out Spain's squad and they have picked 24 players. Probably just left out the Real Madrid players to make things easier. :P
I remember that one.:DD

Are you working on a file for the upcoming Euros geeeee ?. And if so, for which game ?

@MafiaMurderBag - I was looking forward to that Part 2 of PS2 and it certainly didn't disappoint. Great attention to detail and a fantastic reminder of what PES once was - the best.

I played all those features but the memory of them is a little muddled. Great to be reminded of the fantastic player individuality in PES 3 and that PES 4 didn't have stripes for some strange reason.

PES PES 5 will always have a special place in my heart but recently I've enjoyed checking out the lost PS2 PESes. PES 2008 is my current game of choice. I've given PES 2011 (PS2) a fair go and that's decent too, albeit a little manic. I've got PES 2009 (PS2) to have a go at in the coming months although I believe there is little difference between 2009 and 2014.

By the way, watching the second part of the history of PES series made me want to play those games again.
I still have PES 3 installed (I'm playing a match from time to time with the "100% fantasy" OF I made) but I might aswell reinstall 4 to 6 soon: unfortunately, being on PC and having a PS3 that's not backwards compatible, PES 1 and 2 aren't really an option for me at the moment (unless I manage to grab some cheap copy of them somewhere to use with PCSX2).

Finally finished History of PES Episode 2, covering the golden generation of PES during the gaming renaissance that was The PS2 era.

Was a lot of fun making this one and I hope you all enjoy watching it as much as i did marathoning them all in release order for footage and research. 😊

A retrospective/mini documentary on the history and evolution of Pro Evolution Soccer. In Episode 2, We explore the series' incredible evolution & legacy on the best selling console of all time, The PlayStation 2.

will have an extended look at your video later tonight!
it starts off so well... mostly because of your voice... man, that fits the video! love it! :APPLAUD:

@Flipper the Priest England win both yours and @geeeeee 's Euro tournaments. Just waiting for the actual tournament and the inevitable defeat to Scotland now on June 18th :ANX:

Chance would be a fine thing. I expect a doing!

I've wondered whether there are differences in the N64 region variants. Valderrama was the American release whereas in Europe we got Ravenelli and Ince or Andreas Kopke. ISS (Pro) 98 is probably the most confusing year for the Konami games with both titles sharing the same cover while being very different. Another Konami curio to add to the list!

I think I've posted this before but Carlos featured in a short story I wrote at school. You had to read a book then write your take on it. The book I read was some trash about a boy being sucked into and living his favourite video game. At the time, my favourite game was ISS '98, so I wrote about being dropped into a Scotland game in ISS '98 and Carlos ruining the game with his antics. Simpler times.

By the way, watching the second part of the history of PES series made me want to play those games again.
I still have PES 3 installed (I'm playing a match from time to time with the "100% fantasy" OF I made) but I might aswell reinstall 4 to 6 soon: unfortunately, being on PC and having a PS3 that's not backwards compatible, PES 1 and 2 aren't really an option for me at the moment (unless I manage to grab some cheap copy of them somewhere to use with PCSX2).

PCSX2 will play PES1 and 2. They're pretty much the only games my laptop can handle! And people will start to think I'm on the books at CD Romance but no, it's just awesome and has everything!

I would also recommend jailbreaking your PS3 if you can. One of the best things I've ever done!

I wish I had your confidence in that. Robertson and Tierney down the left should they both play is a real threat and I think McGinn would get in our central midfield easily enough. Add to that our players thinking they are so much better than they are and...

I think the Man Utd v Villarreal game last week was very typical of an England game. On paper appearing to be a better team, but unable to break a stubborn team down and always caught out at some point in defence.

Back on topic the Colina cover always had me wondering too, was he supposed to appear in it, was he actually in it referee style wise but not with his name or face or was it simply marketing only?

I wish I had your confidence in that. Robertson and Tierney down the left should they both play is a real threat and I think McGinn would get in our central midfield easily enough. Add to that our players thinking they are so much better than they are and...

I think the Man Utd v Villarreal game last week was very typical of an England game. On paper appearing to be a better team, but unable to break a stubborn team down and always caught out at some point in defence.

Back on topic the Colina cover always had me wondering too, was he supposed to appear in it, was he actually in it referee style wise but not with his name or face or was it simply marketing only?
We lost out on so much intrigue on WE/PES speaking English. I reckon Japanese players must have talked about these and more and those conversations were buried and lost in some 2ch archives long ago

In a last year interview of a KONAMI "big" guy I read, regarding possible PES on Nintendo switch, he mentioned also about possible remasters of ISS or Golden age PES on Switch virtual machines consoles, he said that it is difficult cause there is cloud situation on old games copyright, cause the PES team has totally changed 100% since PS2 era and the KCEO team was liquidated and infused inside KONAMI.

From the context of his statement, I understand that the copyrights of old games may have some multiple complicated clauses.

I mean, when the mother company, needs to locate the missing developers from 15 years ago, to receive their agreement, the whole situation with the past dev teams looks cloudy mysterious enough.
Yeah I learned this recently when @Shales pointed out you can't even play any of Xbox 360 games on The Xbox series backwards compatibility feature because of the licenses for the time period aren't applicable now, Which to me is one thing if your supporting online play and this imagery can be consumed by everyone together but to not allow someone to play it for personal home use when they brought the damn game is just sad.

It's like being punished for buying a game even though the content isn't your fault it's the developers. You didn't ask them to license all these teams and all that music. It's bad enough when developers start patching out expired music in old GTA games, messing with the artistic choice and expression of the time it was released.
Oh, sorry for that then. I must have misunderstood that part. My fault.
English isn't my native language (although your English is very clear also for non natives, I must say) and listening to it with the little princess making noise in the background (she's 6 and a half months old now but when she plays it feels like there's an earthquake ongoing) might have contributed to me not understanding it correctly. 😁
Thanks I do appreciate that, I think I improved my speech and enunciation once I realised there's a lot of non native viewers watching and that we can get too comfortable speaking our own language fast and lazily.
@MafiaMurderBag - I was looking forward to that Part 2 of PS2 and it certainly didn't disappoint. Great attention to detail and a fantastic reminder of what PES once was - the best.

I played all those features but the memory of them is a little muddled. Great to be reminded of the fantastic player individuality in PES 3 and that PES 4 didn't have stripes for some strange reason.

PES PES 5 will always have a special place in my heart but recently I've enjoyed checking out the lost PS2 PESes. PES 2008 is my current game of choice. I've given PES 2011 (PS2) a fair go and that's decent too, albeit a little manic. I've got PES 2009 (PS2) to have a go at in the coming months although I believe there is little difference between 2009 and 2014.
Yes i've not spent too long with PES 2008 but from what i've played of it I can understand why it's so revered. It's amazing to think most of this legacy team were just 2 years removed from completing PES 5 & still had clear vision on how could they make the PS2 experience better and in some ways superior to it's next gen counterpart. The fact that the legacy PS2 ports are still all different year after year makes it very exciting to go back and spend time with them.

When you think you've played all the PES there is to play, There's still many surprises left to uncover.
It was a pleasure to marathon through them all to research and gather footage for them. I think PES 2/WE6FE is the one that surprised me the most by how good it looks and feels and really is a reliable football game where everything you see and do makes complete sense, for the time it released (Which was the year before I discovered the series) People must've lost their minds with how deep and uncanny this video game was to the sport.
will have an extended look at your video later tonight!
it starts off so well... mostly because of your voice... man, that fits the video! love it! :APPLAUD:
Haha thanks, Everyone hates their own voice and we all think we sound goofy but your comment makes me feel good! 😀

I've wondered whether there are differences in the N64 region variants. Valderrama was the American release whereas in Europe we got Ravenelli and Ince or Andreas Kopke. ISS (Pro) 98 is probably the most confusing year for the Konami games with both titles sharing the same cover while being very different. Another Konami curio to add to the list!

I think I've posted this before but Carlos featured in a short story I wrote at school. You had to read a book then write your take on it. The book I read was some trash about a boy being sucked into and living his favourite video game. At the time, my favourite game was ISS '98, so I wrote about being dropped into a Scotland game in ISS '98 and Carlos ruining the game with his antics. Simpler times.

PCSX2 will play PES1 and 2. They're pretty much the only games my laptop can handle! And people will start to think I'm on the books at CD Romance but no, it's just awesome and has everything!

I would also recommend jailbreaking your PS3 if you can. One of the best things I've ever done!
No I second the CD Romance suggestion, It's a really clean and concise repository for the incredible legacy of culturally impactful games, Plus it's so pain free to use. Most sites make you fight and faff to access their content but this is one that as it's name implies, exists as a love letter to the mission of preserving legendary games.

Wait, wait, wait... Are you telling me that from there I can download so many ISOs of old games for... ahem... testing purposes?
Why wasn't I aware of that site before?

(not that I haven't used emuparadise or coolrom or even myabandonware before for my retrogaming needs, but honestly CD Romance is completely new to me. Even if it's been mentioned here before, I must have missed it!)

There are big deficiencies in there. Right side is weak with O'Donnell. The inability to clone McTominay and have one in midfield and one in defence. The lack of form and fitness in the Celtic players and Ryan Fraser. Complacency might be the best bet!

Wait, wait, wait... Are you telling me that from there I can download so many ISOs of old games for... ahem... testing purposes?
Why wasn't I aware of that site before?

(not that I haven't used emuparadise or coolrom or even myabandonware before for my retrogaming needs, but honestly CD Romance is completely new to me. Even if it's been mentioned here before, I must have missed it!)

It is a sensational site. So comprehensive, no junk links, and I haven't found one that doesn't work. Oh how I wish I knew about it and emulation when I unsealed PES 2014 last year!

You never know how long these things are going to last so I'd download them all, while you can.

This is a good reference for the Japanese collection: https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ウイニングイレブン

There are big deficiencies in there. Right side is weak with O'Donnell. The inability to clone McTominay and have one in midfield and one in defence. The lack of form and fitness in the Celtic players and Ryan Fraser. Complacency might be the best bet!

It is a sensational site. So comprehensive, no junk links, and I haven't found one that doesn't work. Oh how I wish I knew about it and emulation when I unsealed PES 2014 last year!

You never know how long these things are going to last so I'd download them all, while you can.

This is a good reference for the Japanese collection: https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ウイニングイレブン
I think there is also a PS2 ISO site, most focused in ISOs that were published only in Asian market.

I am completely sorry I can't recall the sites name, but I had found some ISOs of Yugioh tag team that KONAMI did not pushed in the west, some jrpgs Japan only, and some Winning Eleven ISOs like We9le, and other bootleg games that I could not find in West mainstream emulation sites.

The best part was, it was mainly in US English and had the form of an encyclopedia. I must dig the txt files in the ISOs if I locate them in messed archives and find the link.

While on the subject of PS2 PES (which we mainly are of course) I'm yet to find a game from this era which provides a ML with actual transfer offers for your own players.

I can't remember getting any on PES 5, I got one on PES 2011 (PS2) and then one when I switched back to PES 2008 (PS2) That was three seasons ago.

I've also noticed that, ten seasons in on this ML, the teams around me have yet to move on their oldies. There's even some fortysomething players in the league and a hell of a lot of thirtysomethings.

Generally, which PS2 PES has the most robust ML for a long campaign?

I think there is also a PS2 ISO site, most focused in ISOs that were published only in Asian market.

I am completely sorry I can't recall the sites name, but I had found some ISOs of Yugioh tag team that KONAMI did not pushed in the west, some jrpgs Japan only, and some Winning Eleven ISOs like We9le, and other bootleg games that I could not find in West mainstream emulation sites.

The best part was, it was mainly in US English and had the form of an encyclopedia. I must dig the txt files in the ISOs if I locate them in messed archives and find the link.

Bizarrely, I'm in a similar situation. I found a site too, from which I downloaded some of the Korean games, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called! Think it was maybe Australian.

Here's a challenge for all you ISO hunters: K-League Winning Eleven 9. Whoever finds it gets an elusive prize: my undying respect.

would anyone be interested if i release a pes 2011 current season patch sometime soon (no guarantees though haha)? i've been doing a lot of edits on my own, but i'm really lazy to polish the little stuff and do the presentation, credits, uploading etc. i really don't wanna bother with all that and might just release it as a link somewhere here, though it's pretty extensive. if done it would include psd stats, top 5 leagues+a few dozen of other european teams. i have some kind of OCD over editing the db so the stats, tactics, ml prices and rankings etc would all be touched. i figured if there's enough love for the game from people it may be worth completing it, maybe it'll even make some people re-discover that forgotten edition
i haven't been following the opinion on 2011 here, i know there's no good patches for it since forever, and this game is broken in so many ways, very far from perfect, but it is the only game that has both of the things i think i enjoy most in pes: hard close control dribbling that makes evading pressure with the ball a challenge, makes your every touch count, they've completely ruined it since 2012, this makes 2013 very frustrating to play for me, though it's a very fine game otherwise. second thing is the 360 degree passing freedom, something ps2 era greats obviously lack. well, the third thing would be the shooting, it's not the best in series but it's more than alright in 2011 cause it still has the shot technique stat, another thing that breaks 2013 for me
let me know if any of you are interested in the game and the patch, cause i might be just 1 out of those 10 people on the planet who still play it lol

would anyone be interested if i release a pes 2011 current season patch sometime soon (no guarantees though haha)? i've been doing a lot of edits on my own, but i'm really lazy to polish the little stuff and do the presentation, credits, uploading etc. i really don't wanna bother with all that and might just release it as a link somewhere here, though it's pretty extensive. if done it would include psd stats, top 5 leagues+a few dozen of other european teams. i have some kind of OCD over editing the db so the stats, tactics, ml prices and rankings etc would all be touched. i figured if there's enough love for the game from people it may be worth completing it, maybe it'll even make some people re-discover that forgotten edition
i haven't been following the opinion on 2011 here, i know there's no good patches for it since forever, and this game is broken in so many ways, very far from perfect, but it is the only game that has both of the things i think i enjoy most in pes: hard close control dribbling that makes evading pressure with the ball a challenge, makes your every touch count, they've completely ruined it since 2012, this makes 2013 very frustrating to play for me, though it's a very fine game otherwise. second thing is the 360 degree passing freedom, something ps2 era greats obviously lack. well, the third thing would be the shooting, it's not the best in series but it's more than alright in 2011 cause it still has the shot technique stat, another thing that breaks 2013 for me
let me know if any of you are interested in the game and the patch, cause i might be just 1 out of those 10 people on the planet who still play it lol

This sounds amazing! I've been wanting to try PES 11 again these days anyway, mostly because of the dribbling & passing reasons you mentioned. IIRC shooting felt bad though unfortunateely.

@josev - I agree that PES 2011 is the best game of the PS3 era. Great passing and shooting. Possibly the best Master League ever too. Just the AI let's it down a bit.

This sounds amazing! I've been wanting to try PES 11 again these days anyway, mostly because of the dribbling & passing reasons you mentioned. IIRC shooting felt bad though unfortunateely.
cool! i think i might use some of your tactics as a base for my edits if you don't mind
it's true shooting can be underwhelming compared to ps2 era, yeah, but actually it's not that bad, just takes some time to get used to cause it's oversensitive to the controller input and clunky animations are misleadingat times. it still fells much better to me than later games though, you rarely get a good shot under pressure from a tight angle or reaching a difficult ball if you don't have a good st rating
@josev - I agree that PES 2011 is the best game of the PS3 era. Great passing and shooting. Possibly the best Master League ever too. Just the AI let's it down a bit.
agree, attacking movement from AI teammates feels limited, and cpu is too raw in general. i wish we've had a game on that gen that combined best features from 2011 and 2013, but they've suddenly scrapped the most of what made 2011 so good. i think this was one of their last good attempts at implementing sim fundamentals, not at the level of sophistication you come to expect from what modern games and engines could offer, but enough to be enjoyed just for that, for me anyway

Thanks I do appreciate that, I think I improved my speech and enunciation once I realised there's a lot of non native viewers watching and that we can get too comfortable speaking our own language fast and lazily.
Well, hearing you speak English is a joy when one's used to Americans, Asians and/or Italians (no offence meant to anyone: I'm Italian myself and I also lack a lot in pronunciation, but some colleagues of mine are just plain awful).
Another thing that helps me understand is the knowledge of what's being talked about. If I made my wife look at this video she'd of course be lost hearing the "seabass" reference for example, or hearing the "discriminations against redheads" shortly after that while for me they make perfect sense because, you know, been there done that.

I didn't check evoweb yesterday, but last night I had a dream of watching people playing PES and I remembered the 2011 scoreboard. Woke up and I see you guys talking about PES 2011. Scary

Back
Top Bottom