The Random Crap Thread

A question for Japanese residents here, why does "san" get added onto the end of a persons name when referring to them?

Sign of respect, like Mr. or more accurately Herr or Frau in German. There are different levels. I get called Malcolm-sensei (teacher) by my students, Maru-chan by my wife's mother and fat cunt by my wife.
Others are -sama, -Kun, -dono... maybe there are more. If you don't use the san you can really offend someone to the point they might twat you.

:SHOCK:

So everyone has to have an extra bit added onto their name when you mention or speak to someone?!

I don't use them often unless I'm speaking in Japanese, but I generally call people by their first name. People call by family name here so it sounds rude, therefore the honorific is added.
There is a story from way back about the Shogun being a bit mental. He had no heir and one of his advisors told him it was becasue he was cruel to animals in a previous life. He decided that dogs would be as important as samurai and peasants had to bow to them. If you killed a dog, you were executed. They had to call them 'inu-sama' (basically 'honourable Mr. Dog')

Darren.png
Thomas.png

My name in Japanese apparantly, pronounced Daren Tomasu. That's nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris.png
Davis.png

Apparently my name is pronounced Kurisu Deivisu, what a great little site.

Joe's Inspector Gadget avatar just reminded me of when I was a kid.

Was I the only kid who, when watching Inspector Gadget at their nans, sang the theme tune as "dadadadada INSPECTOR CATSHIT dadadadadadada WOO WOO" to see if anybody noticed? (Incidentally they never did.)

Back
Top Bottom