The Fight Night Thread (for the original and yearly updates)

Great idea FD. A boxing thread is just what I was thinking we need.

Has anyone downloaded any CAB boxers for Fight Night? If so where from??

I got the game yesterday - I like. A lot.

I don't really think the stick punching is better than the buttons, though, but defensively this game is awsome with the leaning and blocking. For the first time in a boxing game, I feel you can really work the counter punches and fight defensively. That was nigh on impossible in the Knockout Kings series.

I got this game, however it will not recognise my memory card. I have don't have the official memory card have another one. Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem.

I love the game and I'm addicted... But I just can't win. Five fights no wins. I just can't do it. I've only made it to the end of one fight without being knocked down.

I'm using the buttons now and it is miles easier than the sticks but I just can't get into the blocking, or the counter-punching. I try for a bit and get pulverised, so then it turns into button-mashing and I miss every punch and get countered on each one.

It's so so good... But so so frustrating.

Jack Bauer said:
I love the game and I'm addicted... But I just can't win. Five fights no wins. I just can't do it. I've only made it to the end of one fight without being knocked down.

I'm using the buttons now and it is miles easier than the sticks but I just can't get into the blocking, or the counter-punching. I try for a bit and get pulverised, so then it turns into button-mashing and I miss every punch and get countered on each one.

The patient fighter is the deadlies fighter.

You need intensive exercises in defense before you do anything else in this game. Do what I tell you and in 10 minutes you will be a legend

OK -set up an exhibition against a superior fighter and do what I did. I always immerse myslef in sports games like I explain below, cuz 10 miutes of time makes you much better for years. You will spend several rounds of a fight not throwing any punches as follows:

ROUND 1 - ONLY bob and weave in this round using the L1 until its second nature.

ROUND 2 - ONLY block punches with R1 for the whole round and see how the R3 toggle helps you to parry shots and create counter attack opportunities.

ROUND 3 - ONLY landing counterpunches off of missed punches by the CPU.

ROUND 4 - take your skillz and show the world who the champ is homeboy. You're almost a legend.

By the fourth round you will be set for life, bro. I did it and now my friends cannot land a punch on me. They are losing their minds.

Jack Bauer said:

Yep, follow Ghazi's advice.
And you can do what I do when facing superior opposition - it may be cowardly, but hit 'n run tactics do work:
let your opponent come to you, and when he's close enough, go for a jab or two and maybe a straight. If you time it right, you can get in a hook with your jabbing hand as well. They usually catch the cpu off guard.
After those little pokes at him, move away from him and wait for him to come after you, then repeat the above.
Whatever you do, don't go inside and trade punches with him - that'll end your fight real quick.

Oh, and resist the temptation of doing those big special punch lunges, unless your opponent is close to being knocked down.

zebula77 said:
Whatever you do, don't go inside and trade punches with him - that'll end your fight real quick.

Oh, and resist the temptation of doing those big special punch lunges, unless your opponent is close to being knocked down.
My two biggest problems.
sad.gif

I followed Ghazi's advice and did two knockouts in my first two career matches, which is a complete first - but then I lost both... I lose my temper when I start to get pummelled and so I just do sin number one in the quote above, followed swiftly by sin number two.

It is very good and very, very realistic, so cos I'm used to just killing the opposition in a round or two in other games, having to spread it across 6/12 rounds so you don't lose health/stamina is so so difficult to get used to.

I absolutely love it; I'm not a big boxing fan so I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of the sport, but I know that I love this game and that it's given me a bit more appreciation for the sport (the patience side especially, when you see it on the TV in the background you automatically assume they can punch forever and there's no defence involved).

I'm only writing this because I've just threw the controller across to the other side of the room in frustration - but I might go and get it again in a minute...

phrase said:
Anybody got tips on how to create missing boxers like Mike Tyson,Oscar De La Hoya and Prince Naseem? And oh,Rocky Balboa too.

Go to IGN's boards for Fight Night and there is a list of CAB fighters, including Rocky characters, etc. Also www.boxinggamers.com should have some, too.

LOL- Jack Bauer, that last line of your post was classic, dude. That is exactly why I bought extended warranties for my controllers.

Another thing that works well against your mates is to hold L1 and throw a series of L-R-L-R hooks to the body. It really drains their energy and most people do not know what to do when getting nailed like that.
I found that it works against the computer opponents too.

ghazi said:
LOL- Jack Bauer, that last line of your post was classic, dude. That is exactly why I bought extended warranties for my controllers.

Another thing that works well against your mates is to hold L1 and throw a series of L-R-L-R hooks to the body. It really drains their energy and most people do not know what to do when getting nailed like that.

Exactly... the CPU gets tired of those body shots... that's leaves the cpu open for 4-5 hooks/combinations to the head. I'm so addicted, this game is great. I usually drop the CPU in the first three rounds (this is with the difficulty all the way up) so I guess you can say I've mastered it. I've got two career modes going on right now... a lightweight and heavyweight and I'm currently the champ on both. I've made Arturo Gatti and Roberto Duran retire (after repeated attempts of them trying to get the belt) and I've made Sonny Liston, Ali, Roy Jones Jr., Chris Byrd, Lennox Lewis, and Joe Frazier retire. Holyfield has been one of the more hard ones.... it took me 7 rounds to KO him. I'm 44-0-0 with 44 KO's. If my ps2 wasn't modded I'd be killing you guys online. :D

OK, enough with my Ali bragging.. I'm bout to start a middleweight boxing career.

Also... Leaning is the solution to EVERYTHING.... forget about blocking.. leaning is better. It's flashier, and it throws your opponent off when they miss...which usually leaves them open for some kinda retaliation. :D :D :twisted:

Leaning, yeah. I just love when I get into the rhythm of punch-lean out of the way-punch, you know what I mean? It's like they're swinging wildly, and you're just poking them with all kinds of punches in between theirs.
But of course, leaning doesn't get you out of the way of body blows, so I don't think you should forget blocking entirely.

I'm starting to learn some good combos, too. Like left hook, jab and straight, or jab, straight to the body and left hook.
Little combos like that are very useful when you use the hit 'n run tactic.

Yoshiaki said:
ghazi said:

Exactly... the CPU gets tired of those body shots... that's leaves the cpu open for 4-5 hooks/combinations to the head. I'm so addicted, this game is great. I usually drop the CPU in the first three rounds (this is with the difficulty all the way up) so I guess you can say I've mastered it. I've got two career modes going on right now... a lightweight and heavyweight and I'm currently the champ on both. I've made Arturo Gatti and Roberto Duran retire (after repeated attempts of them trying to get the belt) and I've made Sonny Liston, Ali, Roy Jones Jr., Chris Byrd, Lennox Lewis, and Joe Frazier retire. Holyfield has been one of the more hard ones.... it took me 7 rounds to KO him. I'm 44-0-0 with 44 KO's. If my ps2 wasn't modded I'd be killing you guys online. :D

OK, enough with my Ali bragging.. I'm bout to start a middleweight boxing career.

Also... Leaning is the solution to EVERYTHING.... forget about blocking.. leaning is better. It's flashier, and it throws your opponent off when they miss...which usually leaves them open for some kinda retaliation. :D :D :twisted:

DAMN - I was about to tell you to meet me on-line bitch!

Where you been?? I thought maybe you had moved to Japan or something.

Just got the game today it is class, first fight I had was a slug fest me controling mosley while i took on trinidad I lost by UD (dam vegas judges)

ghazi said:
Yoshiaki said:
ghazi said:

DAMN - I was about to tell you to meet me on-line bitch!

Where you been?? I thought maybe you had moved to Japan or something.

I wish I was in Japan :( :( .... then I'd never be online.... :D :D :D I'm thinking about getting a legit PS2 to kick some international ass... if and when I do get a legit one... you're going to be the first on the list ghazi.... :twisted: :twisted: Then I'll hand out some fresh ass whoopins to whoever wants them.

rockykabir said:
Whoa just brought this game (I know I know its late....but I had a social ban of 2 months!)

Absolutely fantastic!

Its a bit hard though but thats the way boxing should be though :D :mrgreen:

It gets easier once you learn that the key is to counterpunch. Use the R1 button to block shots and then make the CPU opponent pay. i also find that using the lead right instead of the jab catches them off guard alot.

I finally started a career. After losing mty 10th fight, I am now 38-1 with 37 KO's. Ali and Byrd are bitches to beat.

It's been said before, but it's an absolute must, especially if you're just starting out --

1. Repeated body shots. I neglected these at the start of my career. They do a great deal of damage. With repeated body shots, you're opponent will start blocking low. That's when you do damage to his head. When he blocks high, go to the body again.

2. Move. When I need to, I literally move around my opponent in a circle and throw left/right hooks anytime he puts his gloves down. Often, you can land a dozen uncontested hooks this way, just by timing and anticipating his moves correctly.

3. Counter-punching. That's the name of the game.

this game is very cool i played it last month and "finished" it well i got the title that is and the gamne is very good, the tips for wining already have been said here.
roy Jr is a weak man , wen i went for the title i went over JR without fighting him and went directly to evander holyfield, and that was a fighter wat a fight that was it was almost like one man standing only seeing who could take more hits.. :)
the fight ended with 2000 or mor punches landed :)
but then i made a title defense agains jones jr and i just wasted him in 2 or 3 rounds..

Congrats. Feels great to see your fighter progress and start beating up world champs, but man - the game gives you no advantages when fighting Ali and Byrd.

I dominated both of them for 3 rounds, and then they each knocked me down like 4 times. :shock: I moved to sruvive and finally KO'd Byrd with 20 seconds left in the last round for the shocker (I was behind on the cards) :mrgreen: , and then I dropped Ali twice in the last round for a one point split decision. :twisted:

I was hopping around on my crutches in my basement screaming like a freak. LOL The last time I got that worked up over a game was the first time I played the WE series.

Re: New EA Sports boxing game Fight Night 2004

Fight Night Round 2 (2005) is comming in a few months. I think i saw some interesting info on gamespot some weeks ago...

i to am still playing 04 cant wait for round 2 hope its online in the uk on xbox

dsgg said:
i to am still playing 04 cant wait for round 2 hope its online in the uk on xbox

Its been confirmed Live, hopefully this will include UK

Theres a large interview on Gamespot for it, Hatton is in it too, you have to heal your fighters inbetween rounds healing there cuts and theres grappling now

Back
Top Bottom