Tennis Games - General Discussion

Whoever buys this one is throwing money down the drain. There's no way they'll fix the fundamental issues existing also in their previous games. I won't be surprised if they'll abandon the game after the new Top Spin blows this out of the water.

It's only 30€. For now, it's a average game, a11/20 one. WTA and ATP were behind the game so I think communication will start soon.

It's only 30€. For now, it's a average game, a11/20 one. WTA and ATP were behind the game so I think communication will start soon.
What kind of communication? I don't think they have devs at ATP or an in-house game engine. It's like expecting an EA Sports football game to be good because they have/had the licences from FIFA.

I've spent countless hours with Virtua Tennis and Virtua Tennis 3.
I still have great memories of those two tennis games, especially of the first (in which I teamed up with the Brazilian superstar Bruno Costa and proceeded to rule the universe).

I also have Virtua Tennis 4 in my library but I've never played it much.

I'm happy to see that there are some tennis games around lately, unfortunately in this period it's a little hard for me to play consistently and the few moments I can use to play are usually dedicated to football gaming (or to "Rocket League without cars", even if you most likely know it by its nickname "FC 24").

Jokes apart, I'm almost only playing Clubs in FC 24 lately. That's true.

From the official discord we know that since the beggining of Indian Wells

- Federer/Serena Williams/ Casper Ruud, Steffi Graff/John McEnroe/Coco Gauff/Carlos Alcatraz/ Tsitsipas /André Agassi/Élodie Bouchard

- Tournaments : Wimbledon/AO and Roland Garros/Indian Wells

I'm so happy!

I hope Top Spin will also include other tournaments and edit modes. But I am somewhat sceptical about that as no TOP SPIN game has ever got edit mode and never been moded

Controversial opinion: I don't think TOP SPIN games are THAT good. Sure, they are better than other "big" tennis games (which is not a difficult achievement at all). But they still lack behind Tennis Elbow or Full Ace Tennis.

Especially Tennis Elbow where you can start your journey as a player at position 1 000 and you have to go through an endless stream of ITF 25 Futures tournaments. A lot of them have real courts thanks to the community. And when you reach the top 100 after a few years of game time satisfaction really kicks in. That is something I would like to see in the career mode of other games. Why would you even start as an Alcaraz? What's the point of being in the TOP 100 at the beginning of the game?

I hope Top Spin will also include other tournaments and edit modes. But I am somewhat sceptical about that as no TOP SPIN game has ever got edit mode and never been moded

Controversial opinion: I don't think TOP SPIN games are THAT good. Sure, they are better than other "big" tennis games (which is not a difficult achievement at all). But they still lack behind Tennis Elbow or Full Ace Tennis.

Especially Tennis Elbow where you can start your journey as a player at position 1 000 and you have to go through an endless stream of ITF 25 Futures tournaments. A lot of them have real courts thanks to the community. And when you reach the top 100 after a few years of game time satisfaction really kicks in. That is something I would like to see in the career mode of other games. Why would you even start as an Alcaraz? What's the point of being in the TOP 100 at the beginning of the game?
Afaik the new Top Spin won't have an edit mode for tournaments and roster, only a create-a-player for the career mode. Our only hope is the ability for modders to intervene with the files structure of the game on PC.
A positive thing is that the game is called 2k25 and not Top Spin 5 which means 2K has plans for new releases or/and expansions. For sure there won't be an annual release, most probably a 2-3yrs cycle.
Don't expect extensive career modes like the 2 indie games you've mentioned. Even though the Top Spin devs are quite experienced and ambitious they have to follow the big company's directions. I wish I would be surprised and 2K gives us a game as deep as NBA2k, I know these devs can provide this experience but unfortunately "AAA" companies won't give us a full package. We've all seen what happened with Larian and BG3 with them treated like a black sheep.

This is a bit of a random question.

I'm a total tennis amateur, and I'm not really into tennis from a spectator's point of view, but I have enjoyed a tennis game or two down the years.

What do people think of AO Tennis?

I ask because I barely hear it mentioned, and I thought the gameplay was really good - I found it mega challenging to stay consistent as a starter player on high difficulty settings.

Is it not regarded particularly highly by the tennis community?

This is a bit of a random question.

I'm a total tennis amateur, and I'm not really into tennis from a spectator's point of view, but I have enjoyed a tennis game or two down the years.

What do people think of AO Tennis?

I ask because I barely hear it mentioned, and I thought the gameplay was really good - I found it mega challenging to stay consistent as a starter player on high difficulty settings.

Is it not regarded particularly highly by the tennis community?

I played AO Tennis a while ago and must not of thought too much about it as didn't play it much except a couple of games.
Personally I have played pretty much every tennis game released in the past 25 years and there are only some which I actually remember.
The rest must of just been average or poor.

Super Tennis - Snes
Game, Net Match - PC
Virtua Tennis 2 - This is probably my favourite tennis game - Although it is arcardy, but like SWOS it is on the fun side of arcardy.
Top Spin - The one with Andy Murray - Remember this being a pretty good game although incredibly easy.
Full Ace - This is easily the best tennis game I enjoyed and played since VT2 - Although once you learn to play can be pretty easy and 1st few rounds of a tournament are a chore.

Everyone does bang on about Tennis Elbow and that is the best game - However I personally never really got on with it as the animations are not great and didn't actually find it that enjoyable.

@fear though is the one who recommended Full Ace as the best game and must agree with him it is superb.
It would be very difficult to play though without the mods and the career mode could be improved.
As although there is a full calendar of events, you can't start as Mr X with a 50 skill rating and then do training and matches and work your way up the rankings.
You can start as a player with a 50 skill rating but you can only play tournaments and your skills improve but not by much.

Hi folks

I have made many matches and the game became very nice after the last update.
Only big issues : teletransportation and wierd slidding transition animations even on hard.
Not enough fault from CPU too. Net game is poor for now.

Top Spin 2K25 will be better overall but for 30€ if the career mode is like AO Tennis 2, it will be a cheaper alternative game.
Graphics and sound are greats too.

B Paire Vs Kyrgios at Monte Carlo Expert difficulty

C Ruud Vs M Zverev at Miamy Expert Difficulty

Federer Vs Djokovic at Wuhan Expert difficulty

Fritz Vs B Shelton Hard Expert Difficulty

I played AO Tennis a while ago and must not of thought too much about it as didn't play it much except a couple of games
I used to love tennis games on older consoles, SNES and early PlayStation's. They were simple yet captivating and fun.

Had exactly the same thing with AO tennis. Saw second part on Xbox store, read about how community keeps adding shit ton of content, bought it, played a game or two and never touched it again.

Don't know if it's AO game itself, or just tennis games are not my cup of tea anymore, but it had nothing captivating in it.

I used to love tennis games on older consoles, SNES and early PlayStation's. They were simple yet captivating and fun.

Had exactly the same thing with AO tennis. Saw second part on Xbox store, read about how community keeps adding shit ton of content, bought it, played a game or two and never touched it again.

Don't know if it's AO game itself, or just tennis games are not my cup of tea anymore, but it had nothing captivating in it.

Think I posted a while ago my favourite tennis games are all from the past.

Super Tennis is the one which started my love for tennis games, it was so basic but just so much fun.
Every surface played completely different and you had to play different depending on surface - Realism that is missing in even some modern games.
Even today I still play it emulated as it is fun.

Actua Tennis - Loved this too and TBH it is probably absolutely terrible today but was very good in it's day.

Game, Net Match - This is probably one of my favourite games as it had a full complete career mode and still probably the best career mode I have ever seen in a tennis game even to this day.

Virtua Tennis 2 - My favourite of all time, probably played more of this game than any other tennis game.
Yes it was an arcade game and the career mode was a little weird but it was just so much fun and near impossible to donut people on the hardest skill level.

Full Ace Tennis - Without a doubt the best tennis game on the market today and probably the best tennis game to be released in the last 15-20 years.
It is so good and the realism is there, you make mistakes the timing and your energy is everything.
Only downside is once you become good the game becomes pretty easy and the first few rounds of tournaments are just really boring and completely unchallenging.

Think I posted a while ago my favourite tennis games are all from the past.

Super Tennis is the one which started my love for tennis games, it was so basic but just so much fun.
Every surface played completely different and you had to play different depending on surface - Realism that is missing in even some modern games.
Even today I still play it emulated as it is fun.

Actua Tennis - Loved this too and TBH it is probably absolutely terrible today but was very good in it's day.

Game, Net Match - This is probably one of my favourite games as it had a full complete career mode and still probably the best career mode I have ever seen in a tennis game even to this day.

Virtua Tennis 2 - My favourite of all time, probably played more of this game than any other tennis game.
Yes it was an arcade game and the career mode was a little weird but it was just so much fun and near impossible to donut people on the hardest skill level.

Full Ace Tennis - Without a doubt the best tennis game on the market today and probably the best tennis game to be released in the last 15-20 years.
It is so good and the realism is there, you make mistakes the timing and your energy is everything.
Only downside is once you become good the game becomes pretty easy and the first few rounds of tournaments are just really boring and completely unchallenging.
I've seen some criticism on the new Top Spin thread, I can understand it but I don't know what people expect. Full Ace and Tennis Elbow are great games but the limited animations are holding them back. Shot placement in these games is very good and varied but this means you need to have advanced AI coding to respond.
I've played every single tennis videogame released since the 80s, even a couple the majority never heard of them. When these games are played by gamers who have a good knowledge of the sport you need very advanced coding and this might not be enough because of the nature of the sport.
A month or so ago I posted how a tennis videogame should be developed. There's no way nowadays devs would be allowed to follow it.

Changed the skill level on Full Ace over the last week, well everything was maxed out except shot timing.

It is now really challenging, I thought it was pretty spot on before with the stamina and foot placement.
But now it is way harder and more difficult.

I completed Queens club with these settings and got to the final before losing 7-6, 7-6 to Nadal.
My mind is now changed as when you think you have got the game sorted you change a couple of settings and it really elevates it to a new level.

Full Ace is no longer my favourite tennis game of the last 10 years, it is now my favourite tennis game ever..
It absolutely blows everything I ever played completely out the water, it feels realistic and is an absolute challenge.

Obviously the animations could possibly be better and there could be better detailed stadiums but gameplay wise it absolutely can't be beaten.

I have been playing a bit of Full Ace recently too. I can agree with everything you say apart from that I am a shitty player and I have no problem losing with much easier opponents and difficulty.

What I can 100 % agree is that more detailed stadiums would really help. That's why I cannot enjoy career mode at all. I don't like playing on main court all the time. Give me at least some more generic small courts. Also, all the other "NPCs" on the court started to irritate me. Ballboys/ball girls, refs, all of them seem like they SHOULD move/be alive but instead of that they just stay there as a brickstone :D I never trough something that stupid would irritate me but I can see myself shouting on monitor "MOVE!!" :D Come on, I don't expect ball boys to pick up the balls after each point but they could at least move their heads :D

It is the only problem with the game is the stadiums and animations.
There is only about 3-4 stadiums on the whole game and they are just changed in colour depending on the event, however pretty much every tennis game is the same - I can't at this moment remember any tennis game which has more than one stadium per event.

The ball boys and umpire though not moving don't really bother me too much, as the gameplay itself is just fantastic.

Yes 2K24 will have great presentation and incredibly detailed stadiums but the game just won't play as good and with only a couple of players to choose from it will have zero lastability.

@fear
Have you ever played Full Ace online in the proper tournaments?
I have entered one of the challenger events which start next Monday, but get the feeling these guys might be out of my depth.

I played half an online game but the lag was unbearable so was just a case of easy service game holding.

Back
Top Bottom