Speculation Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Speculation Transfer 06/07 Thread

Gooch Onyewu(Standard Leige/USA) --> Real Madrid

That's the first thing i've heard about that...would surprise me...
Anyway, bad carreer move for Gooch...he isn't ready for Madrid...he's too good for Standard but this move would come too soon.
Would be a good buy for English team like Man City, Bolton, Wigan, maybe even Arsenal.
He's good but he still makes crucial mistakes (too many cards).

(UEFA.com) Morocco defender Abdeslam Ouaddou is to leave Greek champions Olympiacos CFP because of personal reasons, just six months after arriving on a free transfer from Stade Rennais FC.

Family first
The 28-year-old, who departs the Piraeus club with immediate effect, said: "The only reason for my decision is that my wife is suffering from depression and, for me, family is the most important thing. I had a very good contract, but I can't be 100 per cent concentrated on football and I wouldn't allow myself to get paid for mediocre performances." Ouaddou was contracted to Olympiacos until 2010.

One appearance
"The club understood my situation and therefore we reached this decision," continued the former AS Nancy-Lorraine and Fulham FC centre-back. "I know I had the quality to succeed at Olympiacos but sometimes problems crop up in our lives which take things in a different direction. Now I am returning to France to be near my family." Capped 47 times by Morocco, Ouaddou made only one appearance in Olympiacos's UEFA Champions League campaign as they finished bottom of their group.

Andriy Voronin (Bayer Leverkusen) ---> Celtic
Milan Baros (Aston Villa) ---> Olympique Lyon
Branko Ilic (NK Domzale) ---> Bolton Wanderers

That's the first thing i've heard about that...would surprise me...
Anyway, bad carreer move for Gooch...he isn't ready for Madrid...he's too good for Standard but this move would come too soon.
Would be a good buy for English team like Man City, Bolton, Wigan, maybe even Arsenal.
He's good but he still makes crucial mistakes (too many cards).
too many mistakes, or cards he gets because he is 5 times the size of most belgium players.... :). This rumor is pretty rampant in the spanish press.. You have seen him play more then i have, so i will trust you, I do think he should go to a lower club...

5 times?!? :-s :rolleyes:

Belgians aren't exactly "small" or short anyway but yeh Onyewu is quite tall and still relatively young (For a CB anyway) so he definitely has room to get better and only way to do so is by getting regular first team action. So I hope he makes the right decisions in his career path and doesn't go somewhere, he may have to sit on the bench often.

He's already decent but he's got a lot to learn anyway. I've watched him not that much but enough times to have a semi-opinion and I'm not really impressed. Sure, physically the guy has the tools to be a good tall strong defender but his sense of positioning and reading the game (intelligence and sharpness wise) isn't exactly mind-blowing from what I've seen. He also makes quite a few bit of mistakes. Some of course don't end up costing the team goals though and as a result people forget about rather quickly....

Iván Campo (Bolton Wanderers) ---> Athletic Bilbao
Campo is Basque? If so.. I never knew.

But if this speculation is even real, I guess it's for the "end of season". Because I can't imagine Bolton letting him go. He's been a brilliant signing for them and this season in particular, he's been immense! :shock:

He's an extremely under-rated and useful player. I doubt Big Sam would let him go easily especially now that he's giving the team such great service week-in, week-out. At the end of the season however.. I guess it'd be more likelyfor him to go back to Spain....

p.s. there is a good chance Mendieta will go to Athletic.

------------------------------------
EDIT:

@pogoss, I can understand Ouaddou's decision. Family should always come first and you just can't concentrate fully on your football, training and matches when you know your wife is sitting depressed at home and doesn't like or hasn't adapted to that environment which she's supposed to be happily living in.

The question now is, which Ligue 1/Ligue 2 club is gonna pick up the Ex-Rennes defender?

Last edited:

Campo is Basque? If so.. I never knew.
Yes, he's from San Sebastián in Basque Country; in Spanish is País Vasco or in the native language, Euskadi.

Michael Ball (PSV Eindhoven) ---> Portsmouth
Sylvain Distin (Manchester City) ---> Celtic
Goran Gavrancic (Dinamo Kyev) ---> Reading
Javier Mascherano (West Ham United) ---> Juventus

Yes, he's from San Sebastián in Basque Country; in Spanish is País Vasco or in the native language, Euskadi.

I guess he's likely to be a "Real Sociedad" fan then.

Don't know how happy he'll be putting on the "Athletic" red and white jersey. :mrgreen:

Hahaha.. that could be kind of a small lie he said long ago I guess then.. :mrgreen:

Because quite rarely do you find Basque people who are so often very patriotic and proud of their traditions, culture, etc. who don't support one of the Basque clubs....

EDIT:

p.s. Thomas isn't the only one who likes your avatar. I do too. :8):

Last edited:

About Onyewu..
Just like PLF pointed out, we Belgians aren't exactly small (together with the Dutch and the Scandinavian people we are among the biggest nationalities in the world...for what's that worth). Most cards that Onyewu gets are not because he's playing more physical than other players in Belgium...he gets those cards because his positioning is far from perfect. If he really wants to go to big clubs he has to work on that aspect of his game.
The fact that he seems outstanding is also due to the very low level in the Belgian Jupiler League. I'm not quite sure if Onyewu would be a regular first team player in "ordinary" English teams like Bolton, Spurs, Wigan, Blackburn, Manchester City...not now any way. He has the potential to be a first team regular in decent teams playing in a big league, but i don't think that he can play in big clubs and be a first team regular.
I hope i'm wrong because Gooch is a very likeable person...uncharacteristically for a football player. I like him a lot.

About Onyewu..
Just like PLF pointed out, we Belgians aren't exactly small (together with the Dutch and the Scandinavian people we are among the biggest nationalities in the world...for what's that worth). Most cards that Onyewu gets are not because he's playing more physical than other players in Belgium...he gets those cards because his positioning is far from perfect. If he really wants to go to big clubs he has to work on that aspect of his game.
The fact that he seems outstanding is also due to the very low level in the Belgian Jupiler League. I'm not quite sure if Onyewu would be a regular first team player in "ordinary" English teams like Bolton, Spurs, Wigan, Blackburn, Manchester City...not now any way. He has the potential to be a first team regular in decent teams playing in a big league, but i don't think that he can play in big clubs and be a first team regular.
I hope i'm wrong because Gooch is a very likeable person...uncharacteristically for a football player. I like him a lot.
wait now hold on guys, how much have you guys seen him play, plf some of your comments tend to make me beleive you havent seen him all that much. Size wise you gotta be kidding me?!?!?!? 6 feet four inches and 220 pounds?!?!!? Belgiums are typically that big?
I would think he is one of the biggest if not biggest field player in the juniper league... The cards I have seen him get and a notable bullshit penalty call, have been because it seems the ref is not allowing a much bigger player to be physical. I think in the premeire league he would not have this problem. And Im positive he could be a first team center back for the majority of the prem, considering that boca, spector, and probably gibbs are or have been first choice defenders, and he is much better then all of them... Just my two cents, but if you think he is of average size in belgium then i guess you would no better then I would... also i beleive he has already turnend down multiple offers to play in the prem ,because he wanted to play in the CL and now UEFA cup.. so maybe in january we will see him in england or spain

Last edited:

wait now hold on guys, how much have you guys seen him play, plf some of your comments tend to make me beleive you havent seen him all that much.
I haven't seen him more than a few times. I already mentioned that in my first post about him. And as you know, I have to watch a player a fair few times in full matches before having a relatively full opinion on, so it's not like my mind about him is made up.

But surely I'm entitled to already have some opinion of him due to what I have seen.

Size wise you gotta be kidding me?!?!?!? 6 feet four inches and 220 pounds?!?!!? Belgiums are typically that big?
Who said they are typically that big?

Oguchi is a big man obviously and that's no secret. But you were calling Belgians "Small" and saying he's 5 times as big as them which is just not true. So that's the part I protested against. The fact that he's a big man is fairly obvious.

The cards I have seen him get and a notable bullshit penalty call, have been because it seems the ref is not allowing a much bigger player to be physical. I think in the premeire league he would not have this problem.
Sorry can't agree there. (again based on what I have seen from him)

The cards and fouls I've seen him make (some of which has been costly) has been due to poor positioning on the field or a lapse of concentration just like gerd said. And what's more important for a CB than positioning and anticipating the movement of opposing strikers and speed of throughballs, etc.? Arguably that's one of if not THE most important attribute for a good center-back and in that department and intelligence wise overall, Oguchi hasn't impressed me much yet. (Of course that could be due to me not having seen enough of him. ;) ).

And Im positive he could be a first team center back for the majority of the prem, considering that boca, spector, and probably gibbs are or have been first choice defenders, and he is much better then all of them... Just my two cents,
:-s

Carlos Bocanegra, was/is a regular sometimes for Fulham and one of my fav American players.

But I don't need to talk about Fulham's defence. It's in my opinion (as I said even before the season starts), the worst one in prem. Some of the players in there would be lucky to play in starting team of a Championship team (2nd div of England) like Ian Pearce.

Pearce as just one example is probably the worst defender in my opinion in EPL. The guy is just f'n horrible. There isn't a game he plays where he doesn't give away PK's or handle the ball or get sent off. He's got no pace, is kinda fat and is super slow to react. Yet even THIS Guy is regularly featured in Fulham's 1st team in defence!! :rolleyes:

That should tell you all about their defensive qualities and let's not forget many mediocre players like Zesh Rehman and others have played regularly for them over the past few years. So yeah.. I like Carlos and I wish him all the best, but getting a starting place in Fulham is hardly that big of an achievement.

As for Spector, when was he a fixed regular? He's been a backup/rotation player at best. Thankfully for him, he's still young and i personally think he has a lot of potential and can turn out to be quite a nice defender in future years. :)

And Cory Gibbs? The man was not convincing at Feyenoord so got loaned out to ADO! Now he's at Charlton and I'm not sure how you can call him a regular, because I don't recall seeing him make even one Premier league appearance for them.

Charlton also isn't exactly blessed with great defenders but hell even the people they do have are better or at least marginally more assuring than Gibbs. (El Karkouri, Diawara, Sorondo, Jonathan Fortune, etc.) and maybe that's why they've played more games this season.

@pogoss, I can understand Ouaddou's decision. Family should always come first and you just can't concentrate fully on your football, training and matches when you know your wife is sitting depressed at home and doesn't like or hasn't adapted to that environment which she's supposed to be happily living in.

The question now is, which Ligue 1/Ligue 2 club is gonna pick up the Ex-Rennes defender?
It will depend on the salary he'll ask for but I think nancy would be the best choice for him and for his wife .

I haven't seen him more than a few times. I already mentioned that in my first post about him. And as you know, I have to watch a player a fair few times in full matches before having a relatively full opinion on, so it's not like my mind about him is made up.

But surely I'm entitled to already have some opinion of him due to what I have seen.

Who said they are typically that big?

Oguchi is a big man obviously and that's no secret. But you were calling Belgians "Small" and saying he's 5 times as big as them which is just not true. So that's the part I protested against. The fact that he's a big man is fairly obvious.

Sorry can't agree there. (again based on what I have seen from him)

The cards and fouls I've seen him make (some of which has been costly) has been due to poor positioning on the field or a lapse of concentration just like gerd said. And what's more important for a CB than positioning and anticipating the movement of opposing strikers and speed of throughballs, etc.? Arguably that's one of if not THE most important attribute for a good center-back and in that department and intelligence wise overall, Oguchi hasn't impressed me much yet. (Of course that could be due to me not having seen enough of him. ;) ).

:-s

Carlos Bocanegra, was/is a regular sometimes for Fulham and one of my fav American players.

But I don't need to talk about Fulham's defence. It's in my opinion (as I said even before the season starts), the worst one in prem. Some of the players in there would be lucky to play in starting team of a Championship team (2nd div of England) like Ian Pearce.

Pearce as just one example is probably the worst defender in my opinion in EPL. The guy is just f'n horrible. There isn't a game he plays where he doesn't give away PK's or handle the ball or get sent off. He's got no pace, is kinda fat and is super slow to react. Yet even THIS Guy is regularly featured in Fulham's 1st team in defence!! :rolleyes:

That should tell you all about their defensive qualities and let's not forget many mediocre players like Zesh Rehman and others have played regularly for them over the past few years. So yeah.. I like Carlos and I wish him all the best, but getting a starting place in Fulham is hardly that big of an achievement.

As for Spector, when was he a fixed regular? He's been a backup/rotation player at best. Thankfully for him, he's still young and i personally think he has a lot of potential and can turn out to be quite a nice defender in future years. :)

And Cory Gibbs? The man was not convincing at Feyenoord so got loaned out to ADO! Now he's at Charlton and I'm not sure how you can call him a regular, because I don't recall seeing him make even one Premier league appearance for them.

Charlton also isn't exactly blessed with great defenders but hell even the people they do have are better or at least marginally more assuring than Gibbs. (El Karkouri, Diawara, Sorondo, Jonathan Fortune, etc.) and maybe that's why they've played more games this season.

when i said five times i had a smiley face after it, to indicate i was joking, but it still stand by the fact that he is a massive person. Now on to your comment about spector, he has started the majority of games for West Ham... not sure what your on about there... Cory Gibbs has been hurt :( thats the only reason those guys have played more games... IMO. I completley disagree, i think gooch could be a regular for the majority of mid level prem teams. And he has already turnend down offers from the exact same teams i have mentionend. Now did you guys happen to watch the USA vs Italy game in the world cup. Gooch made luca toni look like a little boy playing in a mans game. I think alot of european coaches see this as his potential. The offers have been in the press, and the word from gooch as that he is wating for the right one... we shall see, i think his potential far outwieghs his inexperince at the moment.

when i said five times i had a smiley face after it, to indicate i was joking, but it still stand by the fact that he is a massive person. Now on to your comment about spector, he has started the majority of games for West Ham... not sure what your on about there... Cory Gibbs has been hurt :( thats the only reason those guys have played more games... IMO. I completley disagree, i think gooch could be a regular for the majority of mid level prem teams. And he has already turnend down offers from the exact same teams i have mentionend. Now did you guys happen to watch the USA vs Italy game in the world cup. Gooch made luca toni look like a little boy playing in a mans game. I think alot of european coaches see this as his potential. The offers have been in the press, and the word from gooch as that he is wating for the right one... we shall see, i think his potential far outwieghs his inexperince at the moment.
you can't rely on just one international game to judge a player mate . if we do that Morocco will keep the B team that beated your A team in USA and hopefully madihi (the guy who scored against keller) won't be called any more , he's so far from the needed level :roll: .

you can't rely on just one international game to judge a player mate . if we do that Morocco will keep the B team that beated your A team in USA and hopefully madihi (the guy who scored against keller) won't be called any more , he's so far from the needed level :roll: .

no you cant, but cant even bring up a friendly either, now can you? If you could i could point to dc united drubbing celtic 4-0 in front of my own eyes, and then a week later they tied madrid 1-1...
it didnt mean shit, neither did morroco beating usa. But when you shut down one of the most lethal strikers in the world in an all important world cup match, people are going to notice... and they did, there is a reason there has been intrest from capello and ferguson regarding gooch, like i said, we shall see...

when i said five times i had a smiley face after it, to indicate i was joking, but it still stand by the fact that he is a massive person. Now on to your comment about spector, he has started the majority of games for West Ham... not sure what your on about there...
Clearly you have a different perspective of what a real 1st team regular is from me then.

Spector was a backup at Man Utd which is why he got loaned out and at Charlton he was a 'rotation' player at best and got some games.

Since joining West Ham, he's played in 11 or so matches I think.. and that's not what I call a regular 1st-teamer. Konchesky, Gabbidon and Anton Ferndinand are the only players in West Ham defence, I'd personally call "1st teamers" since they are nearly always in the team. Spector and the rest of them are so far have proven to be either 'rotation' players or backup ones like Christian Dailly.

Nonetheless as I previously stated, I personally think Spector is talented and will get better and better and hopefully BECOME a real 1st team regular.

Cory Gibbs has been hurt :( thats the only reason those guys have played more games... IMO.
Yeh he's been hurt. So until he gets fit and actually starts becoming a 1st-teamer, we can't call him a regular first choice player like you did.

Even when he does get fit, there is no guarantee at all that he'll get a place in a weak Charlton side this year ahead of likes of Soleymane Diawara (Ex-Sochaux) or the Moroccan El Karkouri. Furthermore, if anybody is gonna use this argument then I guess they could argue, Gonzalo Sorondo (Uruguayan and Ex-Inter CB) of Charlton as well can be called a 1st teamer since he's only not playing because he's often injured. :rolleyes:

Csaunders, Onyewu is one of the best players in the Jupiler League and a good prospect for the future. But the fact that he is one of the best players in the Jupiler League says more about the general (very low) level of the Belgian competition than of the level Gooch has AT THE MOMENT.

About the cards, i agree with PLF and for somebody who sees him weekly i'm gonna add that he should have had a whole lot more of those cards.

It's true that it would be otherwise in the Premiership, but Gooch has to adapt to continental football and not vice versa.

But like i said, i wish him best luck because he's a peach...

Gonzalo Higuaín (River Plate) ---> Real Madrid (not done yet, but probably has an according already) :shock:
Shaun Maloney (Celtic) ---> Fulham
Darren Bent (Charlton Athletic) ---> West Ham United

no you cant, but cant even bring up a friendly either, now can you? If you could i could point to dc united drubbing celtic 4-0 in front of my own eyes, and then a week later they tied madrid 1-1...
it didnt mean shit, neither did morroco beating usa. But when you shut down one of the most lethal strikers in the world in an all important world cup match, people are going to notice... and they did, there is a reason there has been intrest from capello and ferguson regarding gooch, like i said, we shall see...
that's what I'm telling you it's just a game and anything can happen . Italy isn't always winning 6 - 0 , they even drawed at home against lithuania for the european qualifier 1 month later .
I don't mean USA is weak or Italy isn't a good opponement . I just say that you can't reffer to one game . especially if it is against a giant when all your player play 200% wich may not be the case of the opponement .
to have an opinion about one player you have to watch him for one season . it's the "how much this guy can give during one season" that interst a club not the "what is his best performance possible" .
ps : till now I'm not saying anything bad against your player , I'm just discussing your argument .
Clearly you have a different perspective of what a real 1st team regular is from me then.

Spector was a backup at Man Utd which is why he got loaned out and at Charlton he was a 'rotation' player at best and got some games.

Since joining West Ham, he's played in 11 or so matches I think.. and that's not what I call a regular 1st-teamer. Konchesky, Gabbidon and Anton Ferndinand are the only players in West Ham defence, I'd personally call "1st teamers" since they are nearly always in the team. Spector and the rest of them are so far have proven to be either 'rotation' players or backup ones like Christian Dailly.
I have a little bit different definition of 1st teamer . to me a first teamer is the guy who is in the group not necessary on the field . I'd call the guy who is always a starting member a "regular" (if it's the right translation for french "titulaire") .
in the 1st team "set" (as in maths) there are the "starting players" set and the "backup ones" set . :lol:

Last edited:

What I meant by a '1st-teamer' up there Pogoss is the same thing you said and call a 'titulaire' in French. A regular STARTER. :)

If we go by your definition of '1st-teamer' then every player in the whole squad of the senior team which can be up to 28 players or more even in some large team's cases is a '1st-teamer' :p but that's not what I was referring to obviously. ;)

José Manuel Reina (Liverpool) >>> Valencia :(

Marco Amelia (Livorno) >>> Liverpool

Jens Lehmann (Arsenal FC) ---> FC Sevilla
Roman Weidenfeller (Borussia Dortmund) ---> Arsenal FC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom