Sony PSP/Vita

Re: Sony PSP

I ask if the PSP version of FM will have a 2D match engine every year and every year so far it's been a resounding "no" from Marc somethingorother. He always says "you can tell how your players are playing by their passes attempted to passes completed ratio", but it doesn't wash with me I'm afraid. I can see on FM2008 (which I'm really into now) when a formation is going to work and when it isn't, without that you don't see what's coming. They say there's not going to be a 2D match engine in a PSP FM game for a long time because there isn't enough power to make it accurate (Championship Manager has one, and you can really see what they mean, it is awful, groups of players running in straight lines and then running backwards in straight lines).

It's great to have a developer reply to your questions, I'll give them that. SI are fantastic like that.

The Everybody's Golf I'm talking about... On PSP it's single-player only, I'm sure, on PS3 the new one (out in March, or you can get the Jap version now) is online playable against 50 players (if the Amazon description is correct). Bollocks, I want a PS3 now, shut up. PSPs are crap, end of story.

Ah really? I thought 08 had it - I only looked at it last night in ASDA... actually, are you sure?! I'm convinced 07 had it when I had my PSP before?! Jeez, I am losing it in my old age...

100% sure, like I say I ask on the forums every year. I rented FM2006 and FM2007, no match engine - I rented Championship Manager as well, there's a match engine in that but it's woeful.

Football Manager on PSP:
psp411_com-product-278-4.jpg

Championship Manager on PSP:
img_121.jpg

Last edited:

That does look quite comical....

I dont really like Manager games all that much anyway, its all number crunching by the CPU that determines the match result. You can really change much unlike a game where your controlling players.

JB... next you will be saying "im going to buy another Wii!"... Then again I sold my origina Fat PSP to my Nephews who wanted it. 2 months later I bought a Slim.....

Dont... I'm terrible for it - my missus gave me a right rocket dinnertime when we were talking about it (not that that will have any bearing! :D), but I do tend to buy/sell the same consoles/games alot!

Aside from Games, in my lifetime I've brought/sold/rebrought a PS2, Dreamcast, XBOX, XBOX360 and now possibly a PSP...

No doubt in 6 months I will want a DS... "For Sale, 1 PSP"...

That does look quite comical....

I dont really like Manager games all that much anyway, its all number crunching by the CPU that determines the match result. You can really change much unlike a game where your controlling players.
Oh but you can, that's why I love it so much. You have to take every last thing into account, whereas on FIFA/PES you just push shoot.

If they have a small pitch you have to play more compact, if they are an older team you can press them and close them down because they can't run past you, if they're a young team you get the boot in early and they'll get frightened or lash out, if they play direct football you play the offside trap, if they play short football you get men ready to counter...

You have to do your homework, you have to use your head, and every result rests on the training you set, the staff you bring in, the players you choose. I cannot get enough of Football Manager.

(That is, until I go on a five-game losing streak, at which point I get depressed about not being clever enough to win any more and play FIFA instead.)

Dont... I'm terrible for it - my missus gave me a right rocket dinnertime when we were talking about it (not that that will have any bearing! :D), but I do tend to buy/sell the same consoles/games alot!

Aside from Games, in my lifetime I've brought/sold/rebrought a PS2, Dreamcast, XBOX, XBOX360 and now possibly a PSP...

No doubt in 6 months I will want a DS... "For Sale, 1 PSP"...

:lmao:

@ Jack - Everybody's Golf online promises to be amazing, can't wait for it and to thrash everyone on here :)

100% sure, like I say I ask on the forums every year. I rented FM2006 and FM2007, no match engine - I rented Championship Manager as well, there's a match engine in that but it's woeful.

Football Manager on PSP:

Championship Manager on PSP:

Ah... damn, I need a holiday...

@ Jack - Everybody's Golf online promises to be amazing, can't wait for it and to thrash everyone on here :)

Is this EG on PS3 or PSP?

I've got the Jap version on PS3 (well, its up for sale!) and the online play on that is great, but I prefer TW07 on 360 now for my main golf fix...

:lmao:

Thing is, I look at the screenshots and I think "oh God it's depressing how it's all cartoony" - I hate stuff like that. Imagine that PES went manga-style on us, can you imagine the uproar?

But Tiger Woods 08 on the 360, I have to say, is really awful. I finished the challenges after a couple of weeks, and then your player can hit balls 400 yards every time and make 40ft putts with ease. Totally ruins the game, what's the point?

So I've got no golf game to play. And I'd rather have a cartoony-looking game with solid gameplay than a solid-looking game with cartoony gameplay.

But it's whether I can afford a PS3, and I don't know whether to get a UK one or a Jap one seeing as they're region free, and... A million other things. In essence I'd only be buying it for one game. But I really really do miss Everybody's Golf, it's the best golf game out there IMHO.

Is this EG on PS3 or PSP?

I've got the Jap version on PS3 (well, its up for sale!) and the online play on that is great, but I prefer TW07 on 360 now for my main golf fix...
We're talking about it on PS3, if you've got Minna or Minno or whatever it begins with Golf, then yeah that's the one.

You can get it on PSP as well though, and it's great, but no multiplayer.

Last edited:

Thing is, I look at the screenshots and I think "oh God it's depressing how it's all cartoony" - I hate stuff like that. Imagine that PES went manga-style on us, can you imagine the uproar?

But Tiger Woods, I have to say, is really awful. I finished the mini-games after a couple of weeks, and then your player can hit balls 400 yards every time and make 40ft putts with ease.

I'd rather have a cartoony-looking game with solid gameplay than a solid-looking game with cartoony gameplay.

But it's whether I can afford a PS3, and I don't know whether to get a UK one or a Jap one seeing as they're region free, and... A million other things. In essence I'd only be buying it for one game. But I really really do miss Everybody's Golf, it's the best golf game out there IMO.

We're talking about it on PS3, if you've got Minna or Minno or whatever it begins with Golf, then yeah that's the one.

You can get it on PSP as well though, and it's great, but no multiplayer.

It is VERY good on PS3 Jack - the new online features sound great too (the ability to wander around the course for instance during a match).

I'm selling it to get the PSP (so will get EG on that) and then in time will get the PAL version of EG on PS3.

Dont put the PS3 down too much Jack... its the best chance you have of playing Rock Band any time soon, F1 is great, Motorstorm is superb and I must say, the catalogue is looking stronger in 2008 for PS3 than 360 IMO...

F1 isnt that great to be honest bud. I played some of the OLDER Sony F1 games the other night and in some ways they felt better than todays ones. I also think Geoff Crammonds GP3 (with no assists) was 10 times better for crashes and physics than F1 CE.

Wont say much else about Why the PS3 is inferior to the 360 ;)

Paul, tell me what looks good in the 2008 catalogue for the PS3... You've nearly won me over here with the "Rock Band" remark, it's been put back to June over here from what I've read.

The 'biggie' for me is LittleBigPlanet which just looks totally awesome and unique. Total sandbox!

Think Home will be good too if they can iron it out - seems to be causing enough of a stir to force M$ to look into a new 'Live' which was interesting rumour today.

Obviously Everybodys Golf which is gonna be fab (Minna is ok, but the lack of English text detracts from the experience IMO), Gran Turismo looks nice with online play etc.

UT3 is a PS3 exclusive for consoles I think? Finally what I know of (or am looking forward too anyway!) Haze looks amazing and if it ever gets released, then happy days.

Plus sequels to exclusives like Motorstorm 2 (if they do it), the next F1 iteration (though I believe they lost the license to EA again?!)

Ahh balls... didnt do too well did i? :D

The 'biggie' for me is LittleBigPlanet which just looks totally awesome and unique. Total sandbox!

Think Home will be good too if they can iron it out - seems to be causing enough of a stir to force M$ to look into a new 'Live' which was interesting rumour today.

Obviously Everybodys Golf which is gonna be fab (Minna is ok, but the lack of English text detracts from the experience IMO), Gran Turismo looks nice with online play etc.

UT3 is a PS3 exclusive for consoles I think? Finally what I know of (or am looking forward too anyway!) Haze looks amazing and if it ever gets released, then happy days.

Plus sequels to exclusives like Motorstorm 2 (if they do it), the next F1 iteration (though I believe they lost the license to EA again?!)

Ahh balls... didnt do too well did i? :D
Sony decided not to RENEW the F1 license so thats their own fault... EA's F1 games werent generally that bad, I had F1 Career Challenge for PS2 in 2002 and that game was alright.

Motorstorm 2 will be interesting to see, hopefully all the bollocks from Motorstorm 1 will be ironed out e.g. Big Rigs being knocked out of the way by MX bikes!

Sony decided not to RENEW the F1 license so thats their own fault... EA's F1 games werent generally that bad, I had F1 Career Challenge for PS2 in 2002 and that game was alright.

Motorstorm 2 will be interesting to see, hopefully all the bollocks from Motorstorm 1 will be ironed out e.g. Big Rigs being knocked out of the way by MX bikes!

In combination reply with your previous post too :)

I quite liked F1 on PS3 - once you get used to the motion controls, it felt quite immersive. I was in an online league and it was fun times!

Wont beat Gp3 though of course.

I like the EA F1 Challenge games, but I dont like F1 (the sport) that much, so I had the CART mod which was much better as a game and a sport.

TO through this thread even further out of line (!), after watching the Daytona 500 sunday, I'm itching for NASCAR game :D

lol :) EA's Nascar 08 was crap so save your money mate. I love CART as well. 10 times better than F1 because they can ACTUALLY overtake ;)

Now that Blu Ray has conquered I think the PS3 might do the same and go on to beat the 360 when some Killer titles appear on show.

lol :) EA's Nascar 08 was crap so save your money mate. I love CART as well. 10 times better than F1 because they can ACTUALLY overtake ;)

Now that Blu Ray has conquered I think the PS3 might do the same and go on to beat the 360 when some Killer titles appear on show.

Wish they'd get this CART game out that keeps popping its head up...

nice thing about minna golf online is you can have 10+ players on one hole and be able to interact, chat & whatnot lol :D

920775_54545_front.jpg

920775_20040925_screen001.jpg

when will they release this frickin game :(

Looked up Minna Portable 2 tonight... online play via WiFi. Wonder if it works world wide, or just for Asia?

Anyway, how about that JB? Looks very good :)

Now that's interesting.

The good thing about not having a PSP and having a nephew who does have a PSP is, as I found out tonight, I can rent it for months at a time because he never uses it any more. Result.

Thing is I still want a PS3 for Rock Band. :(

I know a bloke that works for a Sony outfit in Liverpool so I asked him what discount he could get. He said he can get me one for ... £350!! I've seen them go on eBay for £250!!

He can get the games for £20 though so it's not all bad. I just need £250. Tempted to sell the DS but now I'm getting into the territory of selling things I don't want to sell for the sake of one game, which is a road I've gone down before and regretted it straight away.

I really don't know what to do now to be honest.

Not much I can say on Rockband that you dont already know or have guessed! Its more than a 'game' and if you love music, it really is a new way to listen and interact.

I know its not part of the set, but a cheap mic-stand also makes a huge difference and the ability to sing and play guitar/drums really lifts it another level above GH's or Singstars. Plus take your singing/guitar online, find a drummer and bassist and you get the added (enjoyable) pressure of playing in a 'real' band.

As someone who adores music and could never quite become a competent enough guitarist, Rockband allows me to live out a dream and play music - of which a genre I hold dear, 'live' as it were. The DLC is a bonus and until last week, has kept me coming back to Rockband every week since I got it. The last game I played this consistantly was probably SWOS on the Amiga!

I think the PS3 really does get a bum deal from the web community at times. Some of the games are VERY good - I played a farewall game of Minna last night and its easy to forget how good the PS3 is.

If you can get a PS3 by raising money selling stuff (which is always what I have to do!) then its worth the sacrifice IMO.

Have you tried AVForums and HotDealsUk for PS3s too???

Now that's interesting.

The good thing about not having a PSP and having a nephew who does have a PSP is, as I found out tonight, I can rent it for months at a time because he never uses it any more. Result.

Thing is I still want a PS3 for Rock Band. :(

I know a bloke that works for a Sony outfit in Liverpool so I asked him what discount he could get. He said he can get me one for ... £350!! I've seen them go on eBay for £250!!

He can get the games for £20 though so it's not all bad. I just need £250. Tempted to sell the DS but now I'm getting into the territory of selling things I don't want to sell for the sake of one game, which is a road I've gone down before and regretted it straight away.

I really don't know what to do now to be honest.

Back to the PSP and Minna online... its Minna Portable 2 which has WiFi play and tournies - but the downside at the moment is the game is in Japanese. There is a great Minna site with a conversion - like I had to use for Minna 5 on the PS3, but after a while you do get used to the menus - BUT, i cannot lie, the Jap text does take something away from the game.

I'd still get it though! The PAL version is expected here in the summer...

Like a phoenix from the flames, I am resurrecting the PSP thread!! :D

Got my slim+lite (sounds like a health shake!) yesterday and lovin it! I had one of the original PSPs, but the lack of quality games - got bored of it quick and dumped it.

The new slim feels much better now - more 'portable' in a crazy way - its not that much smaller, but I'm liking it more than the original.

Soooo... what I need now is some game recommendations. I was in 'Game' today looking through some of the PSP stuff and was really surprised with the new games - GRAW2, R6Vegas etc.

What do I need to be looking out for - already gonna get the following:-

Syphon Filter
Killzone
MGS:PO
Burnout - which one, Legends or Dominator?
PES6 - or shall I get PES2008 when it comes out (its meant to be similar to PES6 on PSP, so wont be as bad as the consoles).
I've already got Everybody's Golf - is it worth getting a Tiger Woods?

So aside from those, what are people enjoying?!

Back
Top Bottom