Sony PlayStation

Very odd decision..

Maybe like Microsoft they actually don't have anything to show.
So instead of getting loads of backlash like MS they decided to use this as an excuse to show what little they had, as would be nice for them to talk about specs rather than keep going on and on about the SSD.

Seems an odd decision, there are other countries in the world than one.
Very odd decision..

If every company did this (cancelled plans, rather than just posted a supportive hashtag) - shit would change overnight. Some things are just more important. Bravo to them for doing it and enduring the wrath of angry gamers - the comments section says everything about the world right now.

Last edited:
@Chris Davies

Which thermal paste did you use when you changed it on your PS4 Pro?
Sorry, did mean to reply to that - Arctic Silver, I think it was MX-4. Made absolutely no difference (months ago, when I last tried it) - but will try again in a week or two.

Sorry, did mean to reply to that - Arctic Silver, I think it was MX-4. Made absolutely no difference (months ago, when I last tried it) - but will try again in a week or two.

Ok, thanks.

Some people online say it makes a difference, but if you used decent paste then there is no point in me trying.
I just can't believe how poorly made the PS4 Pro's are, I even tried to change my resolution to 1080P and it is still the same.

Ok, thanks.

Some people online say it makes a difference, but if you used decent paste then there is no point in me trying.
I just can't believe how poorly made the PS4 Pro's are, I even tried to change my resolution to 1080P and it is still the same.
I'm playing The Golf Club 2019 right now, and the other half (in a different room) has got to put headphones on so she can't hear it.

I'm playing with headphones on, and I can STILL hear it.

I think the damage has been done - when I opened it up, there was a circle of paste around the edge of the chip, but literally nothing in the centre.

Completely cleaned it all off, to the point of it being like a mirror, and reapplied the Arctic Silver evenly (didn't think it was worth trying with cheap stuff). Still like a jet engine.

I got the lid off and tried using it without lid and no difference.

Don't know when I am going back to work, so might need to buy some TORX screwdrivers and take it apart.

I have some thermal grizzly left so can replace the thermal paste, but don't think it will make a difference.

Very odd decision..

Maybe like Microsoft they actually don't have anything to show.
So instead of getting loads of backlash like MS they decided to use this as an excuse to show what little they had, as would be nice for them to talk about specs rather than keep going on and on about the SSD.

Sony on Friday: Time to show them what we got next Thursday. Let's put the word out.
Sony on Tuesday: Oh shit we don't have anything to show. Maybe we should have checked that before eh? Luckily the US is falling apart. Let's use that as an excuse to postpone.

Yeah I'm going to guess that is not what happened.

I got the lid off and tried using it without lid and no difference.

Don't know when I am going back to work, so might need to buy some TORX screwdrivers and take it apart.

I have some thermal grizzly left so can replace the thermal paste, but don't think it will make a difference.
Yeah. Lid open, vent cleaned, upper part of the PS4 cleaned, still noisy. Not full power, but one level below for “heavy titles”. Edit: who am I kidding?! Most of the titles.

I thought, ok, the problem is sitting deeper, next to the mainboard, but I did not change the paste on the CPU. I heard the opposite of what @Chris Davies is reporting... so I don’t know what to make of it.
Maybe there is some more dust to get out from the other side, before walking the last mile and have a look at the CPU.

I don’t think I want to go any deeper. I’ll just use headphones and keep my fingers crossed till Christmas.

Guess that’s how early adopters are made. :LOL:

Last edited:
I have ordered some TORX screwdrivers from Amazon, so will replace the CPU and GPU paste tomorrow and see what difference it makes.

I know the stuff they used on the PS3 was really nasty and if the same on PS4 then you would be knocking 10-15c of the CPU and GPU temps immediately.
However I think the problem isn't so much the paste it is the 25p really cheap plastic fan which is used to cool the whole unit down.

I have ordered some TORX screwdrivers from Amazon, so will replace the CPU and GPU paste tomorrow and see what difference it makes.

I know the stuff they used on the PS3 was really nasty and if the same on PS4 then you would be knocking 10-15c of the CPU and GPU temps immediately.
However I think the problem isn't so much the paste it is the 25p really cheap plastic fan which is used to cool the whole unit down.
Cool. Maybe you snap some pictures while you do it. And let us know how it worked out please.

If every company did this (cancelled plans, rather than just posted a supportive hashtag) - shit would change overnight. Some things are just more important. Bravo to them for doing it and enduring the wrath of angry gamers - the comments section says everything about the world right now.

I respect what you're saying Chris, but take for example the Middle East, Africa, parts of Asia thousands die every day because of lack of food/water, thousands of civilians die because of "accidents" caused by Western militaries etc, why don't their lives matter enough to stop a game company showing some games?

Racism is far too deeply rooted into American culture to be fixed by a video game company not showing some games. Absolutely it's abhorrent, vile and disgusting but what I've learned from the years of studying it (by watching a lot of PBS documentaries etc.) is I have no idea what will fix it, but cancelling some video game demos will do zero when the people that can make a change are completely ignorant of video games (mostly old fat rich white dudes).

as much as i want to discuss this topic, i once was hinted that politics dont belong here. ;)

dont want to come across rude here! :BEER: ...i just wanna read some more PS related comments. :YES:

as much as i want to discuss this topic, i once was hinted that politics dont belong here. ;)

Truth is Sony are the ones who brought politics into it ;)

I applaud Sony for taking a stand, I think their stand sadly is completely weak and pointless. More fitting would have been to show their games, but the first 8 minutes and 46 seconds are a black screen with just the words "I can't breathe" or "Black lives matter" or any of a million other really, really powerful statements they could have chosen, instead they've been weak and almost apologetic in their stance.

For me all that is bulshit. What Sony does this year is insulting. They insert politics and stupid wokeness in they work too much, with last of us, stupid and misleading PlayStation 5 announcements and events. How Japan company ruins all plans just because a few idiots in the USA steal 4k TVs, Nike sneakers, burning churches and business, kill innocent people on the streets to prove the point that they are NOT criminals and the Police force is unjustified.

I was ready for the first time to buy a console in day one, now if I do will be not PlayStation.

Last edited:

For me all that is bulshit. What Sony does this year is insulting. They insert politics and stupid wokeness in they work too much, with last of us, stupid and misleading PlayStation 5 announcements and events. How Japan company ruins all plans just because a few idiots in the USA steal 4k TVs, Nike sneakers, burning churches and business, kill innocent people on the streets to prove the point that they are NOT criminals and the Police force is unjustified.

I was ready for the first time to buy a console in day one, now if I do will be not PlayStation.
IMG_20200605_103317.jpg

Damn, guess you will have to get a new PC or something. Let's hope Bill Gates doesn't say anything about the matter.

Splendid, be nice to know I don't share the same gaming platform as you.

Yes, systematic racism is SJW BS talks, but they do not cancel all events or lie about 4 June.

Think the word your right wing addled brain is looking for is "systemic" and if you don't think it exists in America you're living in a bubble of privilege.

Yes, systematic racism is SJW BS talks, but they do not cancel all events or lie about 4 June.

Yep, reported. This isn't about virtue signaling or politics. Black people, protesters, and journalists in my country are being killed, maimed, and targeted by police and you're here not just to complain about the temporary suspension of a console launch, but to be a jerk about it in the process. You can complain about Sony's games and their corporate strategy without being an ass.

Splendid, be nice to know I don't share the same gaming platform as you.

Think the word your right wing addled brain is looking for is "systemic" and if you don't think it exists in America you're living in a bubble of privilege.

You call me right wing, because I refuse to accept all ideological and political extremes? Looking at where you live, I understand everything, you are possessed by "white guilt" so, I did not expect anything other than SJW clichés, so I forgive you.

So I just logged into an EA game to be welcomed by a Black Lives Matter notice.

What?! I just wanted to log in and play a game to distract me from all the BS in the world and I have to read this notice to get into the game.

Few points to computer games devs-
1. Everybody's life matters.
2. Black lives matter yet in the face of COVID folks are gathering in masses to protest. Am I the only one that sees the irony? Your trivial notices that bear no connection to the game I play only feed this irony (and its lethality).
3. Keep current politics out my games or I'll stop playing your game and your new consoles can go suck a big one.
4. You dicks.

So I just logged into an EA game to be welcomed by a Black Lives Matter notice.

What?! I just wanted to log in and play a game to distract me from all the BS in the world and I have to read this notice to get into the game.

Few points to computer games devs-
1. Everybody's life matters.
2. Black lives matter yet in the face of COVID folks are gathering in masses to protest. Am I the only one that sees the irony? Your trivial notices that bear no connection to the game I play only feed this irony (and its lethality).
3. Keep current politics out my games or I'll stop playing your game and your new consoles can go suck a big one.
4. You dicks.

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom