Sony PlayStation

I don't know what PS5 Pro could bring more than current PS5. What new features or enhacements? For me all these PS4 Pro and PS5 Pro versions are nonsese becouse all current titles that would work on PS5 Pro with all the enhacements should work on regular PS5 too, so there is no magic to be done here. Regular PS5 was adverised as 4k gaming console with capabilities of ray tracing and if Sony say these features will work better only on Pro models the will shoot at their feet.
Better release PS6 with higher price but much better hardware than releasing something like PS5.5 and let current PS5 hardware to bring it down.

I really enjoy console gaming for the convenience and price, but at those prices I'd just focus on PC gaming.

I hope this isn't a preview of the next gen consoles jumping in price.

Will it make a difference for an average gamer to pay 1.5x the price?

Oh well £700 for a console - This is clearly to test the water for a PS6 at around that price.

+ No disc drive - So extra £100 for that.

I reckon you could build a PC for £700 very close to a PS5 Pro.

Last edited:
Oh well £700 for a console - This is clearly to test the water for a PS6 at around that price.

+ No disc drive - So extra £100 for that.

I reckon you could build a PC for £700 very close to a PS5 Pro.
you could build pc for less than that but of course you cannot enjoy smooth and good looking games like on ps5. thing is we didn't see nothing new, more expensive ps5 with "better" looking games. like I said in the previous post, if this was ps6 I would understand that leap in graphics and other improvements but this way developers also need to take care for current ps5 users which made that jump in technology impossible, same as ps4 and ps4 pro.
and yeah I expect ps6 to be at that price too maybe 100 euros expensive than that.

Will it make a difference for an average gamer to pay 1.5x the price?
And for what..? It's been few years since PS5 release and they are still releasing games on previous gen.
Exclusives were, let's be honest, shite and this entire console generation is the biggest disappointment of all the gen up until now.
Add to it all the games across all genres being dumbed down, cringe, broken mess.
Come to think about it - last gen we had Ghost of Tsushima, Red Dead 2, Last of Us 2 - really big games. This gen we have... PS5 remasters.

And for what..? It's been few years since PS5 release and they are still releasing games on previous gen.
Exclusives were, let's be honest, shite and this entire console generation is the biggest disappointment of all the gen up until now.
Add to it all the games across all genres being dumbed down, cringe, broken mess.
Come to think about it - last gen we had Ghost of Tsushima, Red Dead 2, Last of Us 2 - really big games. This gen we have... PS5 remasters.
Exactly. I really want to meet someone who will buy this "new" console at that price. £700 for what? For GTA 6? What's the point? Am I missing something?

d48cfa75a187a4ec622c766e220e089a3d6bf8fd.jpeg

So at launch the PS5 Pro will have the following games patched to run with a higher performance:-
Alan Wake 2
Assassins Creed Shadows
Demon Souls
Dragon's Dogma 2
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Gran Turismo
Hogwart's Legacy
Horizon Forbidden West
Spider-Man 2
Clatchet & Rank
The Crew
The First Descendant
Last of Us 2

All the games above aren't really having the visuals improved over the PS5 version but will run at 60FPS instead of 30FPS.

Also personally thought the PS5 Pro was meant to be released to be a big sell point for GTA 6 and experts have stated due to the CPU limitations of the new PRO it won't be able to run GTA 6 @60FPS.

Last edited:
So at launch the PS5 Pro will have the following games patched to run with a higher performance:-
Alan Wake 2
Assassins Creed Shadows
Demon Souls
Dragon's Dogma 2
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Gran Turismo
Hogwart's Legacy
Horizon Forbidden West
Spider-Man 2
Clatchet & Rank
The Crew
The First Descendant
Last of Us 2

All the games above aren't really having the visuals improved over the PS5 version but will run at 60FPS instead of 30FPS.

Also personally thought the PS5 Pro was meant to be released to be a big sell point for GTA 6 and experts have stated due to the CPU limitations of the new PRO it won't be able to run GTA 6 @60FPS.
What's the selling point then? The 60fps for 3-4yrs old games everyone has already played? If PC doesn't get GTA 6 on launch there's no way PC gamers will buy a PS5 Pro to play it on 30fps. They'll save some money per month for a year to buy a 5090 or whatever.

What's the selling point then? The 60fps for 3-4yrs old games everyone has already played? If PC doesn't get GTA 6 on launch there's no way PC gamers will buy a PS5 Pro to play it on 30fps. They'll save some money per month for a year to buy a 5090 or whatever.

Sony have improved the GPU on the PS5 Pro but made a massive error in not upgrading the really poor processor.

You wouldn’t put a 4090 in a computer with a Celeron.

maybe I am wrong but I think that today's game developers put too much in how game looks rather than the story or gameplay. in the past we used to enjoy the games more with graphics that look funny in today's standards. take pes, metal gear solid, syphon filter, tony hawk's pro skater, tekken, the list is long...
for the kids today is more important how something looks than how it plays. I know technology is moving more and more faster even the pc gamers couldn't have their systems up to date with newest technology but playstation was different and that was the actual selling point, play something if you want instead of buying new pc components. sony made a big mistake with the pro version instead they should force the devs to work with current technology at least until ps6 comes out.
btw I didn't saw any positive word, text or video on youtube of someone who feels excited or is it going to buy ps5 pro.

Sony have improved the GPU on the PS5 Pro but made a massive error in not upgrading the really poor processor.

You wouldn’t put a 4090 in a computer with a Celeron.
The massive error it's the 2TB SSD, 1TB is enough for large public and down the price by 100$
The processor look enough, you can double the framerate of PS5 game it's the goal for this Pro version this is not a PS6.

I actually think the 2TB SSD was something that was absolutely needed.
The 825GB in the original PS5 was pathetic and I ran out of space and the PS5 isn’t even my main gaming machine.

It needed upgrading all round with a better CPU as well.

The main reason for the price though is lack of competition in the console market Sony completely own it and Microsoft seem to have now thrown in the towel with their exclusive games now eventually all coming to PS.
And Nintendo aren’t a competitor to Sony they release a £250 family console which most people buy in addition to the PS because Nintendo make the most fun games out there.

How is this appealing to casual gamers? I mean for somebody who would sit down for 1-2 hours to play like 2 times per week? Or is this for kids who play 4-5 hours each day? Is there even a market for that?

How is this appealing to casual gamers? I mean for somebody who would sit down for 1-2 hours to play like 2 times per week? Or is this for kids who play 4-5 hours each day? Is there even a market for that?
This really isn't marketed for the casual gamers, this is more for the hardcore for those who want the absolute best performances to whom frame rates etc matter, the type of person who upgrades their PC, it was why at the start of the presentation they spent time on highlighting that the PS5 is a great machine, that will be what the majority buy, the hardcore will be the ones who end up buying this but even to them this at the moment is a hard sell. I bought the PS4 Pro because there were benefits of having that machine over the standard PS4, but with this at the moment I don't see those benefits, maybe 12 months down the line and closer to GTA 6 I will change my mind.

It will take GTA 6 to look significantly better on PS5 Pro for there to be a mad rush to purchase.
At present to play games I already played on PS5 @60FPS doesn't have any interest to me.

But would like to know how Ray Tracing has been improved as the problem at present with RT on PS5 is that it runs at 1/4 resolution so does the PRO up this resolution?
As for Last of Us 2 and Spider-Man 2 both great games but I am not going to replay them anytime soon and when I do it will most likely be on PC when I can get native resolution and 100FPS, rather than 60FPS using dynamic.

The fact that this topic is so quiet about the release of a new console just shows how incredibly uninterested people are in purchasing one + at what Emroth said this PS5 generation is probably the worse console generation there has been.

Echo what's being said in here. Unless there is a clear benefit to GTA6 or another game further down the line, I won't be considering this at all. I mainly play CoD these days at 4k 120fps and current PS5 is fine for that and I don't need any more, or expect any higher frames from a console game any time soon.

Unless GTA6 supports increased frame/graphics which seem up in the air atm, there's just no reason to fork out for this.

Echo what's being said in here. Unless there is a clear benefit to GTA6 or another game further down the line, I won't be considering this at all. I mainly play CoD these days at 4k 120fps and current PS5 is fine for that and I don't need any more, or expect any higher frames from a console game any time soon.

Unless GTA6 supports increased frame/graphics which seem up in the air atm, there's just no reason to fork out for this.

The PS5 non PRO isn't 4K it is 1080 - 1440 using VRR and the frame rate rarely hits 120FPS with most missions averaging between 80-100FPS.

It is really important to note although the display is 4K the ingame resolution on PS5 is very rarely ever running at 4K with most PS5 games running at 1440p upscaled to 4K.

The PS5 Pro probably won't likely be able to hit 4K either and will still use Dynamin Resolution in most games to hit 60FPS.

The PS5 non PRO isn't 4K it is 1080 - 1440 using VRR and the frame rate rarely hits 120FPS with most missions averaging between 80-100FPS.

It is really important to note although the display is 4K the ingame resolution on PS5 is very rarely ever running at 4K with most PS5 games running at 1440p upscaled to 4K.

The PS5 Pro probably won't likely be able to hit 4K either and will still use Dynamin Resolution in most games to hit 60FPS.
Fair, well the fact you had to tell me reiterates my point I guess 🤣

Fair, well the fact you had to tell me reiterates my point I guess 🤣

It will be interesting to see what happens with Digital Foundry when the PS5 PRO comes out to see roughly how much they improve the graphics and what resolution the PS5 PRO is hitting.

Games will probably still run at 1440p to hit 60FPS instead of 30FPS but there will probably be slight graphical improvements made too.
So instead of PS5 running at medium PC settings the PS5 Pro will run closer to HIGH.

I am not going upgrade to the PRO but would be interested to see how much of an upgrade games get.

If sony is started to phase out physical media, then there is no point in purchasing their consoles either. Might as well stick with pcs at that point. Having a physical disc that I can put on the console and play without needing internet connection download it or by 2nd hand games years after the publishers stop selling the games was a huge appeal for consoles for me personally. But it's gone with Microsoft already and seems like Sony is following the same path.

If sony is started to phase out physical media, then there is no point in purchasing their consoles either. Might as well stick with pcs at that point. Having a physical disc that I can put on the console and play without needing internet connection download it or by 2nd hand games years after the publishers stop selling the games was a huge appeal for consoles for me personally. But it's gone with Microsoft already and seems like Sony is following the same path.

I think physical media is a thing of the past for most people.
I have not purchased physical media on PS for a few years now - And nearly 20 years on PC.

Even movies I don't know a single person who has bought a DVD/Blu-ray for years.

We live in a time where physical media is pretty much obsolete - I am sure the sales data proves this and there is an option on the console if you do want a disc drive then you need to purchase one for £100.

The only thing that annoys me about Digital Distribution is that the costs should be a lot less for games as there is no manufacturing costs involved.
But you can buy games on disc NEW cheaper on Amazon than the PS Store at launch.
I guess the 30% tax on purchases is what causes this, although if this was really the case why is Assassins Creed the same price on Steam on Ubisoft Connect?

Notes from the Digital Foundry Direct Weekly #180

PS5 Pro Breakdown:

The Last of Part 2 - 1440p internal resolution at 60fps in this PS5 Pro Mode (same as PS5 Performance Mode) with improved image quality due to PSSR

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - Between 1440p and 1800p internal resolution (roughly the PS5 Quality Mode at 40fps) at 60fps in this PS5 Pro mode with the same settings as the PS5 Performance Mode and using PSSR to bring it up to 4KDLSS > PSSR > FSR

Alan Wake 2 - Two modes shown (864p at 60fps & 1260p at 30fps) which is the same as the base PS5 modes and they presume it’s using PSSR and not the FSR in base PS5. 60fps clip has SSR but the 30fps clip could have RT.

Horizon Forbidden West - resolution didn’t look 4K.
They presume it’s not using PSSR but hard to tell.
Thinking it is using 4K checkerboard but again hard to tell. PS5 vs PS5 Pro has the Pro with higher detail.

Hogwarts Legacy - RT reflections looks better on the PS5 Pro but has some visual noise in the background. RT shadows might be mixed with SSR but look to be an improvement over base PS5.
30 fps in the footage but the presume it’ll have 60fps modes as the base PS5 has it.

Gram Turismo 7 - RT reflections in game appear to be quarter resolution (1080p). 8k mode. Lower resolution (1188p) in the PS5 Pro footage and probably using PSSR to bring it up to 4K where the base game without RT reflections is a Native 4K.
RT looks better than Forza Motorsport.

Dragon’s Dogma 2 / Assassins Creed Shadows - DG2 looks to be running at 60fps and might be using PSSR.
ACS looks to be running at 864p at 60fps.

These are the analysis on the footage that was shown and nothing else.
DF expects some of these games to have multiple PS5 Pro modes but that remains to be seen.

We live in a time where physical media is pretty much obsolete
It's awful tho. If it wasn't for discs I wouldn't be able to play old footy games on consoles.
If you don't get there in time and put it in your library - there is no going back.
And God only knows how long even games from your library will be available for you to install. All those games that require connection to some servers - they might all be gone one day.
There will be a huge chunk of games wiped out from history. It's sad.

It's awful tho. If it wasn't for discs I wouldn't be able to play old footy games on consoles.
If you don't get there in time and put it in your library - there is no going back.
And God only knows how long even games from your library will be available for you to install. All those games that require connection to some servers - they might all be gone one day.

All games at the moment remain playable on PC - However majority of games lose their online features after a few years.
2K are the biggest c***s as I purchased WWE 2K22 and they switched of the online features about a month before 2k24 was released.

But normally providing the game is single player you should be able to play it for years.

I think physical media is a thing of the past for most people.
I have not purchased physical media on PS for a few years now - And nearly 20 years on PC.

Even movies I don't know a single person who has bought a DVD/Blu-ray for years.

We live in a time where physical media is pretty much obsolete - I am sure the sales data proves this and there is an option on the console if you do want a disc drive then you need to purchase one for £100.

The only thing that annoys me about Digital Distribution is that the costs should be a lot less for games as there is no manufacturing costs involved.
But you can buy games on disc NEW cheaper on Amazon than the PS Store at launch.
I guess the 30% tax on purchases is what causes this, although if this was really the case why is Assassins Creed the same price on Steam on Ubisoft Connect?

Obviously most people don't care about owning a product anymore unfortunately.

However, I'm stuck on past. And each and every day, I am slowly but surely moving out from this hobby. Because I find no reason to play a game if the game is not preserved. This is why I never bothered with google stadia, gamepass and all other subscription systems. And in recent few years, I even stopped purchasing games from Steam because most games have Denuvo drm which is near impossible to crack. Meaning if I buy a game now and after a while I loose my account, I wont be able to repurchase the game if publishers remove the game from steam. I personally find no reason to play such game, even if it's the best game in the world.

As for ps5, yeah there is optional disc drive. The fact that its 800$ is already a problem. But ignoring that, my point was that sony is moving away from physical media too.

The biggest problem now will be that it will be impossible to buy 2nd hand games.

And there is gog on pc that sells drm free games. But there seems to be no such thing for consoles at this moment. So that's one more reason to avoid consoles completely, for me personally that is.

This happened with me with PES 2020. I can never play that game at this point.

This is also the reason why I never bothered purchasing NFS 2015. That game requires online connection to play, so when the servers will be closed, the game will become inaccessible.

Back
Top Bottom