Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread

:))
the defensive line should have been
mauri - cribari - siviglia - de silvestri

Thanks for the post Ben, however for once you can be proven wrong. The left back is Zauri :-pp.
In related Lazio news, I heard that last year Lotito rejected Giovinco because he was "too small", and Amelia as well. I just have the feeling that these rejections may hurt the Biancelesti. As a Roma fan, this makes me smile :DD

Seeing as it is transfer season, I might as well discuss the areas Roma need improving in. I think the main priority lies in getting a new back-up right back and starting left back, as Paucci and Tonetto are both well into their 30's, and despite their obvious qualities, Roma is competing in 3 competitions - all of the highest level (maybe less the Coppa Italia), and they need players with more pace, fitness and verve. Cassetti is excellent back-up, but he too is in his 30's, so I feel Roma definitely need another option. Vargas on the left would be terrific, although I fear I maybe dreaming about the possibility of him in a Roma shirt :(( Next up is the wings. IMO Mancini needs to leave. I genuinely hate that player. I hear commentators raging about his match-winning capabilities, and I want to shoot them. When? When in the recent past has Mancini even slightly influenced a match, let alone turn it around? He infuriates me so much as he is essentialy a liability, only getting starts due to his reputation I feel. It's good that he has played less recently. But throughtout the season, Giuly has had so much more of an impact yet has played less? Taddei needs a back-up, or someone that he can really compete with on the Right-flank. He has showed lax performances this season (i appreciate he has had some very good ones as well) and I think it's because on the Wing, he doesn't have many people that can be preferred ahead of him, so maybe subconsciosuly he has become complacent. He also has had a season with injuries, and whilst this is unfortunate, Roma can't take these risks, so definitely two wingers are needed I feel. Robben would be perfect in terms of playing style, however he unfortunately has Taddei's injury problems & Mancini's inconstencies! Add to that his huge price tag, and I think it would be wise for the Sensi's not to look more into this purchase. My desired player is Hatem Ben Arfa of Lyon ;)) Strikers. My opinion, contrary to popular opinion, is that we don't need another striker. Totti is back next season, and Vucinic's form is stunning. In fact, it's not form, he's just a terrific player :) Roma need to remember this, as I would hate for him to drift out of the side if another striker is bought. Thankfully, Juve have beaten us to Amauri. This may sound a strange comment, but Amauri's qualities are similar to Vucinic's, and I feared that Vucinic would play less merely based on Amauri's reputation. Perhaps, perhaps we do need a 3rd choice striker, but I dont see it as a necessity. Maybe a striker/winger like Adrian Mutu (of course he isn't coming sadly:-pp) would be wise? This would certainly save the board money, but a player like this - with sufficient quality - is hard to find, and when you have found them they usually have a large price tag. Di Natale would be excellent now, but he is either 30 or turning 30 soon and, as much a fan I am of Di Natale, I fear that his play may decrease - however Mr. Toni has proved that 30 year old's can stil be a bit special :-pp So I hope I am wrong if we are to buy him.

Well enough about Roma :LOL: Fiorentina (a team whom I have a soft spot for, surprising for a Roma fan :))) have done brilliantly so far in the Transfer Market, with Barzagli and Gilardino set to sign soon. I just have the feeling that Gilardino will score a lot next season, and Barzagli & Gamberini. Well that just says it all :DD However, they have lost the irreplaceable Ujfalusi, and finding a Right-Back with anywhere near as much quality, passion and influence as him will be a job well done for Fiorentina. I really want the Viola to continue their renaissance, and be able to compete for the Scudetto - whilst still do well in the Champions League. No doubt, it's going to be very tough - and a whole new challenge - but this Fiorentina team reminds me a lot of Sevilla (don't ask why lol) from the 06/07 season who did so brilliantly, and I hope, I hope that Fiorentina can do the same.

Also, Euro 2008 soon :DD:DD What do people think of Donadoni's selection? And what about his tactics? What team will he play? What team do you want him to play? And what about Italy's main rivals?

Personally, I'm just hyper about the inclusion of a one Mr. Cassano .....

Thanks for the post Ben, however for once you can be proven wrong. The left back is Zauri .
lol :LOL: i wrote an "m" instead of a "z". :-pp

didn't know about amelia and giovinco being close to lazio in the past. however giovinco is almost unreachable, has juve has huge expectations on the boy, of course. let's just hope the boy will be able to play in his proper role... honestly i don't think this will happen, and that's the reason why i think giovinco shouldn't have come back to juve this season :ROLL:
talking about amelia, lazio firmly believe in carrizo. both peruzzi and ballotta watched hours of tapes of the argentinian and kept saying he was the right man to protect lazio's net. up until now it was a disgraceful decision, as carrizo still wasn't able to reach lazio (he has not an eu passport yet)... we'll see...
amelia was really close to palermo, but now it seems we're going to get abbiati (with amelia taking abbiati's spot at madrid).... i'd rather get amelia but abbiati wouldn't be bad either.

talking about roma, i completely share your points. about the striker point, i really can't understand why roma is looking for another foward. the only striker who might coming handy would be iaquinta, coz he (like vucinic) could also play on the flank.
so, after selling mancini (completely agree with u about amantino;))), they could buy iaquinta, to have 3 valid options for the left flank (vucinic, giuly and perrotta), the right flank (taddei, giuly and iaquinta) and the foward (totti, vucinic and iaquinta). this would be a wise move. but borriello (who is the other player, together with di natale, they're looking for) wouldn't be useful at all for roma imo.
so iaquinta would definitely be a good buy..... but i'd rather get di natale, who is a pure left footed and could replace mancini better than anyone else (even better than mancini himself.... a lot better).

i also agree with u about the fullbacks. both cassetti and tonetto had injury problems this season, but while cassetti was subbed by panucci (who was fantastic this season, as a rb and as a cb) tonetto had no backups and was forced to play despite his backs problems (wich effected his performances).

and tonetto's problems effected taddei too, who had to sacrifice himself a lot to help tonetto.
last season with a fit tonetto, taddei had more freedom on the pitch, and roma was extremely dangerous on the left. now they need someone who can give some rest to tonetto; mathieu? pasqual? they would be good buys imo. also modesto would have been a very good buy, but it seems he's reaching an agreement with sampdoria.

about the taddei point, as i said, i think his main problem this season was..... tonetto (infact when tonetto was fit, taddei was great too). moreover taddei had to face a very long injury, wich of course had an effect on his performances too. so i'd say that if the sensi would find another good left back, taddei would be free to express his abilities more easily. besides taddei already has some good backups (giuly, perrotta and vucinic too can play in his position).
finally u also have to consider taddei is extremely hard to replace and i think both robben and ben arfa wouldn't be able to do what taddei does.
rodrigo is not just a fantastic winger, who can use both foot. his main feature infact is his tactical awareness and his work rate. taddei moves backwards when the opponents get the ball, helps the 2 central midfielders, helps the left back and has a fantastic "central midfielder-like" vision. robben and ben arfa wouldn't be able to do what rodrigo does. they play just upfront and they're also quite expensive, too expensive for roma.
there's just one winger who could do exactly what taddei does: camoranesi.... but of course he's unreachable as juve won't ever sell him.

gotta go now, as soon as i'll have 5 minutes to spend on the pc, i'll reply to your fiorentina and italy points, mate.

p.s. moratti fired mancini, stronati fired beretta and cellino fired ballardini....:LOL: how clueless are theese 3 presidents!!!
i really feel for inter, siena and cagliari fans :((

Last edited:

lol :LOL: i wrote an "m" instead of a "z". :-pp

didn't know about amelia and giovinco being close to lazio in the past. however giovinco is almost unreachable, has juve has huge expectations on the boy, of course. let's just hope the boy will be able to play in his proper role... honestly i don't think this will happen, and that's the reason why i think giovinco shouldn't have come back to juve this season :ROLL:

Have to disagree. Sending Giovinco on loan again will only send him a step backwards. He was sent on loan in the first place to see wether he can handle Serie A, which he can obviously. He developed every game, but now he needs to go a step higher. Sending him to a midtable club again, won't help him. His sights are set on juve, juve need a player like, it's the perfect time for him to return. He's ready.

Also I'm getting annoyed a bit by this general sentiment of players 'not getting enough of a chance'. Players need to take some responsibility for a change and if they're good enough to play, show it.

last season with a fit tonetto, taddei had more freedom on the pitch, and roma was extremely dangerous on the left. now they need someone who can give some rest to tonetto; mathieu? pasqual? they would be good buys imo. also modesto would have been a very good buy, but it seems he's reaching an agreement with sampdoria.

about the taddei point, as i said, i think his main problem this season was..... tonetto (infact when tonetto was fit, taddei was great too). moreover taddei had to face a very long injury, wich of course had an effect on his performances too. so i'd say that if the sensi would find another good left back, taddei would be free to express his abilities more easily. besides taddei already has some good backups (giuly, perrotta and vucinic too can play in his position).
finally u also have to consider taddei is extremely hard to replace and i think both robben and ben arfa wouldn't be able to do what taddei does.
rodrigo is not just a fantastic winger, who can use both foot. his main feature infact is his tactical awareness and his work rate. taddei moves backwards when the opponents get the ball, helps the 2 central midfielders, helps the left back and has a fantastic "central midfielder-like" vision. robben and ben arfa wouldn't be able to do what rodrigo does. they play just upfront and they're also quite expensive, too expensive for roma.
there's just one winger who could do exactly what taddei does: camoranesi.... but of course he's unreachable as juve won't ever sell him.

:SS Tonetto always played on the left this season and Taddei on the right...

Also I think you overrate Taddei a bit, he was one of Roma's worst performers and I really wondered why he was always starting when clearly players like Giuly and Vucinic were in much better shape. Taddei at his best is a very good player, tactically he is great as he great allround abilites, much more than just a 'winger', but despite that he doesn't have that much quality and personality(he's had most difficulties in big matches to really show his game) in him.

p.s. moratti fired mancini, stronati fired beretta and cellino fired ballardini....:LOL: how clueless are theese 3 presidents!!!

Now Inter may actually become a force to reckon with :-pp

P.S. Barzagli to Wolfsburg :lol:

Last edited:

Have to disagree. Sending Giovinco on loan again will only send him a step backwards. He was sent on loan in the first place to see wether he can handle Serie A, which he can obviously. He developed every game, but now he needs to go a step higher. Sending him to a midtable club again, won't help him. His sights are set on juve, juve need a player like, it's the perfect time for him to return. He's ready.

i don't think so. i think going in torino will be a step backwards. u see sebastian has just 21 years. and a 21 years old guy must have just 4 aims: playing as many matches as he can, playing as a starter, playing in his role, playing in a club with no big pressure (where a bad performance can be forgiven more easily).

next season giovinco won't play as many matches as he played this season.... and that's already enough to rate this as a step backwards.
ranieri will have 4 terrific strikers (amauri, trez, del piero, and iaquinta).... 2 starters and 2 backups.... how many chances giovinco has to play, with those "monsters" ahead of him.... it will take some feat to play 1\2 of the matches he played this season....

he won't play in his proper role, as ranieri has plenty of options upfront and already admitted he will use sebastian as nedved's backup (at least that's what i read).... wich will be another mistake. sebastian might even do well in that position (as palladino did often this season).... but it doesn't matter. he's young he has to earn experience and confidence, and giving him just a few chances (and) in a different role won't help him at all.
any time he will be choosed by ranieri, he will try to play beyond the expectations, coz the less chances u get, the more pressure u have. he will not play "simple football" (wich is exactly what he should do by now), he will commit more mistakes.... and so the pressure on him will raise even more.

he will not learn to handle the "starter responsability", coz no way he will be a starter.... and we all know that being a starter is a completely different situation..... something u got to get used to when you're young.

tbh i agree with u when u say that he might be ready for a top club. he's young and unexperienced but his raw and boundless talent could make up for it.
but the real question is another. Are juventus fans ready to see a young gun taking del piero's spot?????? won't the fans moan as soon as del piero won't be a starter for more than 3 consecutive matches????? i don't think so. and that's the real matter.

Also I'm getting annoyed a bit by this general sentiment of players 'not getting enough of a chance'. Players need to take some responsibility for a change and if they're good enough to play, show it.

come on, Dom, we had the same conversation about palladino this season. it's not a matter of responsability. it's a matter of facts.
ranieri won't put sebastian ahead of del piero, and that's a fact. and we can't even blame ranieri for this. Alex is an icon in torino. anytime he's not a starter the fans start to moan about it. moreover alex is a fantastic player. he has the talent and the experience. Sebastian might even be more talented than alex, but he has no experience, so it's pretty natural if giovinco won't be a starter..... and he won't be a back up neither, as ranieri's second pick will be iaquinta (unless he leaves).
we're talking about 2 great and experienced players.... 2 world champions.... how could sebastian take their spot????? it doesn't matter how "responsible" sebastian will be, he will warm up the bench, and this definitely can't be considered as a step foward in his carreer.
he will probably waste a season (as palladino did this season), because (replying to your point), no matter how promising and talented he is, he's just a 21 years old kid and he can't be "good enough to play" if his contenders are people like del piero, amauri and iaquinta.

just look at what acquafresca said. "i'm young, i just had my first season as a starter in serie a. no way i will waste a season warming the bench at inter. i'll be looking for another place where i will be able to get more pleytime, coz this is what i need now"
now that's smart-thinking. that's what a youngster has to do to grow up and become a better player.

Tonetto always played on the left this season and Taddei on the right...
lol.... that's what happens when u write fast and don't read your post once u wrote it :-pp:LOL:
however i meant to say cassetti, of course..... still better than writing mauri instead of zauri :LOL:

anyway Don, the reason why taddei played many times, even when he wasn't in a good shape can be found in your post itself...
Dom said:
...tactically he is great as he great allround abilites, much more than just a 'winger'....
rodrigo is exactly that kind of player a coach would never take on the bench..... exactly as camoranesi.
about the lack of personality point, i disagree, he was roma's main factor in so many matches last season.... together with de rossi, he's the only really unreplacable player in roma's roster.
he just had a (nothing more than) decent season, but, tbh, we also have to consider he has been out for 2 months for injury (theese long injuries litterally mess up your stamina).
and we also have to consider that for almost half of the season there was no cassetti (got it right this time :-pp) behind him. panucci is amazing in defense (and i have to say he was surprisingly good in pushing too this season), but he just can't push as much as a fit cassetti can.

Now Inter may actually become a force to reckon with
we'll see what mourinho will be able to do. he might do better than mancini or not. that's not the point. the point is that mancini was the only coach in the last 20 years who realised wich where inter faults, the only one who was able to build a winning team..... and he has been sacked just 1 week after winning the scudetto.....
there are really no words to describe moratti's stupidity.

P.S. Barzagli to Wolfsburg
lol he's such an idiot :LOL:

Last edited:

i don't think so. i think going in torino will be a step backwards. u see sebastian has just 21 years. and a 21 years old guy must have just 4 aims: playing as many matches as he can, playing as a starter, playing in his role, playing in a club with no big pressure (where a bad performance can be forgiven more easily).

But he's had that experience this year, it's time for him to go on to a higher challenge. And nowadays the teams only treat players properly that are completely owned or co-owned. Loaned players are rarely treated as full squad members. Even at Empoli, Giovinco was used reluctantly at the start. But being the special player he is, they couldn't look past him.

next season giovinco won't play as many matches as he played this season.... and that's already enough to rate this as a step backwards.
ranieri will have 4 terrific strikers (amauri, trez, del piero, and iaquinta).... 2 starters and 2 backups.... how many chances giovinco has to play, with those "monsters" ahead of him.... it will take some feat to play 1\2 of the matches he played this season....

He didn't play all of empoli's game (unjustfully) and juve will play twice the amount of games Empoli did this season.

he won't play in his proper role, as ranieri has plenty of options upfront and already admitted he will use sebastian as nedved's backup (at least that's what i read).... wich will be another mistake. sebastian might even do well in that position (as palladino did often this season).... but it doesn't matter. he's young he has to earn experience and confidence, and giving him just a few chances (and) in a different role won't help him at all.
any time he will be choosed by ranieri, he will try to play beyond the expectations, coz the less chances u get, the more pressure u have. he will not play "simple football" (wich is exactly what he should do by now), he will commit more mistakes.... and so the pressure on him will raise even more.

he will not learn to handle the "starter responsability", coz no way he will be a starter.... and we all know that being a starter is a completely different situation..... something u got to get used to when you're young.

Giovinco has indicated himself, that he is more of a midfielder than a forward. I'm not sure that's 100% true myself, but he certainly has the qualities for a midfield role. Except for power, he has pace, explosiveness, amazing vision, dribbling, technique, attitude( I mean in his play, knows when to pick a pass and not etcetera) and passing range(he has it all basically). Malesani and especially Cagni deployed Giovinco all over the midfield pretty consistenty over the season. I think Giovinco'd do very well in a role, like Nedved. Roaming into the middle from the left. And with a guy like Nedved there, to 'show him the ropes' and take some of the pressure off. Giovinco would be valid alternative as creative midfielder to Camoranesi and Nedved, something we've lacked the past four seasons. I would even go as far as to say that come end of next season, Giovinco will be the starter and Nedved the sub.

To me Giovinco is on an entirely different planet from Palladino. Palladino doesn't have the type of qualities, unlike Giovinco, to play in midfield. Giovinco is already a much better and complete player than Palladino. Not to mention, Palladino at Giovinco's age was only doing so-so playing in his own role(!) at Livorno(which was doing very well under Donadoni at the time). While Giovinco, who had to adjust to a multitude of roles this season was one of serie a's most scoring offensive midfielders, made countless assists (but poor teammates to finish it off) and was actually simply Empoli's best player. Not to mention how Palladino was constantly fighting for a starting place in the u-21 side, while Giovinco is the current u-21 side(which isn't inferiour at all)'s undisputed star.

The thing I do agree with is that the pressure and expectations might be a killer for Giovinco. Just look at how i'm raving about him this post.....

Palladino has never had to deal with this kind of pressure :mrgreen:.

tbh i agree with u when u say that he might be ready for a top club. he's young and unexperienced but his raw and boundless talent could make up for it.
but the real question is another. Are juventus fans ready to see a young gun taking del piero's spot?????? won't the fans moan as soon as del piero won't be a starter for more than 3 consecutive matches????? i don't think so. and that's the real matter.

come on, Dom, we had the same conversation about palladino this season. it's not a matter of responsability. it's a matter of facts.
ranieri won't put sebastian ahead of del piero, and that's a fact. and we can't even blame ranieri for this. Alex is an icon in torino. anytime he's not a starter the fans start to moan about it. moreover alex is a fantastic player. he has the talent and the experience. Sebastian might even be more talented than alex, but he has no experience, so it's pretty natural if giovinco won't be a starter..... and he won't be a back up neither, as ranieri's second pick will be iaquinta (unless he leaves).
we're talking about 2 great and experienced players.... 2 world champions.... how could sebastian take their spot????? it doesn't matter how "responsible" sebastian will be, he will warm up the bench, and this definitely can't be considered as a step foward in his carreer.
he will probably waste a season (as palladino did this season), because (replying to your point), no matter how promising and talented he is, he's just a 21 years old kid and he can't be "good enough to play" if his contenders are people like del piero, amauri and iaquinta.

I agree that Giovinco won't start over Del Piero. It's already a crime to bench players like Amauri and Iaquinta. There's little room upfront, unless Ranieri changes his tactics to 4-3-3, which he might depending on the form and availability of Nedved and Camoranesi. Either way, I do see room for Giovinco. He'll force his way anyway.

just look at what acquafresca said. "i'm young, i just had my first season as a starter in serie a. no way i will waste a season warming the bench at inter. i'll be looking for another place where i will be able to get more pleytime, coz this is what i need now"
now that's smart-thinking. that's what a youngster has to do to grow up and become a better player.

I generally agree with this type of thought, but when Giovinco speaks it shows ambition and it's not ambition based on thin air.

lol.... that's what happens when u write fast and don't read your post once u wrote it :-pp:LOL:
however i meant to say cassetti, of course..... still better than writing mauri instead of zauri :LOL:

:mrgreen: You're forgiven.

anyway Don, the reason why taddei played many times, even when he wasn't in a good shape can be found in your post itself...

rodrigo is exactly that kind of player a coach would never take on the bench..... exactly as camoranesi.
about the lack of personality point, i disagree, he was roma's main factor in so many matches last season.... together with de rossi, he's the only really unreplacable player in roma's roster.
he just had a (nothing more than) decent season, but, tbh, we also have to consider he has been out for 2 months for injury (theese long injuries litterally mess up your stamina).
and we also have to consider that for almost half of the season there was no cassetti (got it right this time :-pp) behind him. panucci is amazing in defense (and i have to say he was surprisingly good in pushing too this season), but he just can't push as much as a fit cassetti can.

I agree as so far that tactically Taddei makes it easy for a coach, but I do not think he is irreplaceable. He may be irreplaceable in the way he fills his role, but that role can be played in a different manner. Allround qualities are great, but often player with only certain qualities, but who excell in this few abilities, are more useful. A different player there would change their play, but that does not have to be negative thing.

we'll see what mourinho will be able to do. he might do better than mancini or not. that's not the point. the point is that mancini was the only coach in the last 20 years who realised wich where inter faults, the only one who was able to build a winning team..... and he has been sacked just 1 week after winning the scudetto.....
there are really no words to describe moratti's stupidity.

I'd argue that Mancini had some luck in the timing of being the coach.....

Mancini knows how to build a team, but tactically he's a bit silly and I have the feeling he wasn't in charge of the dressing room anymore for quite a while.

Last edited:

best news i've heard this week :)

but seriously though, i kinda feel for mancini... i think theres are a vast majority of inter fans who despise the move as well... im not a big jose fan but he surely has a tough act to follow... one slip by the special one and... :COAT:

for a man who brought 3 scudettos and 2 coppa italias to the club he gets this... :NONO: i guess the losses to milan, juve and roma had a part in the decision...

as my friend who is a rabid inter supporter said... this could be the beggining of the end...

can someone please tell me how napoli tactical formation looks on the field and who is taking free kicks, corners and penalties? tnx!

------------------------ Zalayeta (CF)

------------ Lavezzi (SS)

----------------------------- Hamsik (AMF)

-------------------- Gargano (cmf)------------------Blasi (DMF)

--- Savini (lwb)----------------------------------------------------Garics (Rwb)

------------ Domizzi (CB) P. Cannavaro (cb) Cupi/Santacroce(cb)

--------------------------------- Iezzo (gk)

Backline: B
Offside Trap: B
Captain: Paolo Cannavaro
Free Kicks (Long and short): Hamsik
Free kick taker 2: Domizzi
Corners: Hamsik
Penalties: Domizzi (I am 97% sure about this)

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

------------------------ Zalayeta (CF)

------------ Lavezzi (SS)

----------------------------- Hamsik (AMF)

-------------------- Gargano (cmf)------------------Blasi (DMF)

--- Savini (lwb)----------------------------------------------------Garics (Rwb)

------------ Domizzi (CB) P. Cannavaro (cb) Cupi/Santacroce(cb)

--------------------------------- Iezzo (gk)

Backline: B
Offside Trap: B
Captain: Paolo Cannavaro
Free Kicks (Long and short): Hamsik
Free kick taker 2: Domizzi
Corners: Hamsik
Penalties: Domizzi (I am 97% sure about this)

Hope this helps :)

thank you guys... and what about mannini? when i was reading the lineups, mannini was there but i've never saw that garics...

Last edited:

He seems to be injured a lot and has a bit of an ego. Our players don't seem to be like that, so I don't know if hes the man we need. Same for Drogba. Theyre great players, but just not the ones I'd want at my club. I'd have much preferred someone like Amauri, Benzema etc. Prolific, but don't use their ago as a tool for controlling the club.

Last edited:

Yeah I can see that. He does lack that "class" that many Milan players have, but then who could Milan sign atm with as much quality as him?

David Villa

Funnily enough why arent teams chasing him? he's probably one of the best strikers in the world and the fact Valencia had a shocker and arent even in Europe let alone the Champions League, i would think all the big boys would be after him.

Don said:
He didn't play all of empoli's game (unjustfully) and juve will play twice the amount of games Empoli did this season.

as u said, at the beginning cagni didn't wanna take such a big risk, lining up a 20 years old guy with no experience at all.... but once he realised what sebastian can do with a ball, giovinco became a starter.
besides he played 35 matches this season..... as i said before, next season he will be lucky if he will be able to play half of that..... and probably most of them not as a starter...... and in nedved's position....:((

u made a good point about loaned and co-owned players receiving a different treatment..... but that is true for mid class clubs, not for low class clubs.
just to make an example, the lanzafame deal was probably a stupid move.... a bad move for juve, a bad move for palermo and a bad move for lanzafame too (imo), but when u give such a talented guy like giovinco to a club like siena, or atalanta or lecce, then u can be sure, in 1 year those clubs will give u back a better player and a grown man (lecce and atalanta, especially).

talking about his role, well, all the top class supporting strikers can play as wingers or advanced midfielders.... just to make some bianconeri examples, del piero did it.... and baggio too. there was a time when there was a debate in italy "is del piero an advanced midfielder or an ss?" there was also a competition between him and totti for the same spot in italy's NT.
giovinco definitely has what it takes to become an advanced midfielder.... plays with the head up, has a natural passing game wich is pure art, the dribbling, the technique, etc....
but when u see him playing, u also notice something else; he has "touch", an amazing ball control in tight spaces, and a special feeling with the goal. this makes him an ss, imo. (and everytime i saw empoli this season, he was lined up as an ss or as a winger).

i agree with u when u say that palladino is not on the same level of giovinco (talking about potential). giovinco MIGHT become a legend, while raffaele is on his way to become a very, very good player. i do feel u underestimate palladino, btw.... i mean the 99,9% of the under-23 years old players in europe would look nothing special, when compared to sebastian.......
.. and please don't tell me raffaele is "already" 24.... one of the reasons why i like this thread is because u won't find here idiots pretending a 28 years old player being "old" (:LOL:).

anyway, mate i really hope i'm completely wrong about sebastian's upcoming season.
it would be great to hear u telling me "i told u" 8 months from now ;)):))

I'd argue that Mancini had some luck in the timing of being the coach.....

lol, that's definitely a good point, Dominic.
and i honestly don't rate mancini that much. there are honestly a lot of better coaches in italy: prandelli, ancelotti, spalletti, mazzarri, beretta, rossi, baldini, cagni, papadopulo, zaccheroni.
and i also prefere the likes of gasperini, giampaolo, marino.

i think mancini should be mentioned beside guidolin, del neri, arrigoni, de canio, novellino, scala, scoglio..... very good coaches, with some important shortcomings.
he might be considered a top coach in england or spain.... but definitely not in italy...

however most of the times it's not about being the best coach..... but the most appropriate coach for a team.
inter (almost) always had the best roster in serie a in the last 20 years... and they also had some of the best coaches in the world (zaccheroni, lippi, simoni, bianchi)..... but still none of them was able to lead inter to the scudetto, none of them was able to understand the reason why inter (despite being full of world class players) just couldn't reach milan, juve, lazio, roma's level.
mancini did it.... twice!
mancini is today (trophies-wise) the 2nd best coach in inter's history..... he won just 1 trophy less than HERRERA!!!!! and u fire him just coz of what he said after the liverpool match? come on!!!
and talking about the dressing room problems, the only one who didn't like him was figo.

anyway, from a neutral point of view, i hope moratti won't regret his decision (as always)....

Stef, i understand your worries about eto'o (and i actually don't understand why galliani didn't try to get amauri, coz milan definitely needed him more than juve), but as satty pointed out, samuel is still one of the very best strikers in the world, and he could give to milan's gameplay that depth they lacked of this season ;)):))

Last edited:

guys, can someone help me out with mannini from napoli? when i was reading a list of starting 11 for napoli, i saw mannini in every game but not garics... and if he is there instead of garics, how this can be when in pes2008 mannini is listed as a left side attacking middlefilder (hamšik and savini are on the left too)? does that mean he plays instead of garics as a rwb? i don't get it...

thank you.

so even though mannini is listed as a left side attackig middlefielder, he plays on the right side as a rwb?

thank you guys, your help is very precious :)

and say hello to that cry baby mancini and his asslickers (mihajlović, stanković and co.)... i'm so so happy that they will all be gone pretty soon...

anyway, mate i really hope i'm completely wrong about sebastian's upcoming season.
it would be great to hear u telling me "i told u" 8 months from now ;)):))

It would. I was right about Palladino and Barzagli too. :-pp

lol, that's definitely a good point, Dominic.
and i honestly don't rate mancini that much. there are honestly a lot of better coaches in italy: prandelli, ancelotti, spalletti, mazzarri, beretta, rossi, baldini, cagni, papadopulo, zaccheroni.
and i also prefere the likes of gasperini, giampaolo, marino.

i think mancini should be mentioned beside guidolin, del neri, arrigoni, de canio, novellino, scala, scoglio..... very good coaches, with some important shortcomings.
he might be considered a top coach in england or spain.... but definitely not in italy...

however most of the times it's not about being the best coach..... but the most appropriate coach for a team.
inter (almost) always had the best roster in serie a in the last 20 years... and they also had some of the best coaches in the world (zaccheroni, lippi, simoni, bianchi)..... but still none of them was able to lead inter to the scudetto, none of them was able to understand the reason why inter (despite being full of world class players) just couldn't reach milan, juve, lazio, roma's level.
mancini did it.... twice!
mancini is today (trophies-wise) the 2nd best coach in inter's history..... he won just 1 trophy less than HERRERA!!!!! and u fire him just coz of what he said after the liverpool match? come on!!!
and talking about the dressing room problems, the only one who didn't like him was figo.

anyway, from a neutral point of view, i hope moratti won't regret his decision (as always)....

It's not that I condone the sacking, as it's obviously an indecent move, but I just don't rate Mancini very highly.

I really think it was more than just Figo who didn't care for Mancini, he was just the most vocal about it. Mancini wins three straight scudetti, gets sacked, and only one player (Stankovic) comes out in his defence? The indifference and silence of the rest of the players says a lot I think.

It's not that I condone the sacking, as it's obviously an indecent move, but I just don't rate Mancini very highly.

me neither Dom. actually i used to rate a lot mancini before his inter experience, coz his previous coaching experiences were great (fiorentina and lazio)....... but after watching him during his inter years, i've to say i changed my mind.
besides, in retrospect, we also have so say that those 2 teams (mancini's lazio and mancini's fiorentina) were much better teams than they seemed to be (and that's something u can realise just by looking at their roster).

i'm not saying he's a bad coach.... he's good... he would probably be the 2nd best coach in liga and the 3rd best coach in england (along with moyes).... but here in italy i can count at least 10 coaches better than him.

It would. I was right about Palladino and Barzagli too.

ehm, for the records...
http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1181939&postcount=1558

:whistle:

com on mate, raffaele's a brilliant player. he had a fantastic first half of the season, and a below average second half.... and that's the reason why u changed your mind about him....
he probably won't become a world class player, but his technique is definitely above the average..... even for serie a standards.

and talking about Barzagli, well, this was his worst season since he's playing in serie a..... and still he was unanimously considered good enough to be the starter cb in the national team wich has the best cbs average quality in the world.....
and to be fair, it's a bit harsh to judge his season as a bad season.... the real problem is that palermo (as a team) had some serious troubles in protecting the box this season.
if he would be playing in juve, with zanetti and sissoko covering his ass, u would consider him a GOD.

let's try an excercise: try to list the starting cbs of all the best national teams in the world; puyol and marchena, gallas and thuram, matijsen and heitinga, metzelder and mertsacker, ujfalusi and kovac, pepe and ricardo carvalho, juan and lucio, milito and ayala, ferdinand and terry......

now this is supposed to be the best the world has to offer, talking about cbs..... how many of them would u rate more than andrea??? 4??? maybe 5????
think carefully before replying, coz, depending on what u'll say, i might loose my respect for u :DD

Vasilios said:
I really think it was more than just Figo who didn't care for Mancini, he was just the most vocal about it. Mancini wins three straight scudetti, gets sacked, and only one player (Stankovic) comes out in his defence? The indifference and silence of the rest of the players says a lot I think.

well not just figo indeed. adriano too is happy about his departure..... but adriano and figo are both easily replacable players to be honest...
and it was not just stankovic who defended him. captain zanetti, cambiasso, samuel, maxwell, julio cesar.... and probably many others.

Last edited:

me neither Dom. actually i used to rate a lot mancini before his inter experience, coz his previous coaching experiences were great (fiorentina and lazio)....... but after watching him during his inter years, i've to say i changed my mind.
besides, in retrospect, we also have so say that those 2 teams (mancini's lazio and mancini's fiorentina) were much better teams than they seemed to be (and that's something u can realise just by looking at their roster).

i'm not saying he's a bad coach.... he's good... he would probably be the 2nd best coach in liga and the 3rd best coach in england (along with moyes).... but here in italy i can count at least 10 coaches better than him.

We fully agree then.

ehm, for the records...
http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1181939&postcount=1558

:whistle:

com on mate, raffaele's a brilliant player. he had a fantastic first half of the season, and a below average second half.... and that's the reason why u changed your mind about him....
he probably won't become a world class player, but his technique is definitely above the average..... even for serie a standards.

His technique is his strongest point, and probably his only strong point. And he still hasn't managed to learn how and when to use that technique of his to it's fullest.

I think Palladino will turn out to be a good player in the future for another (non-top)team, but not good enough for Juventus.

and talking about Barzagli, well, this was his worst season since he's playing in serie a..... and still he was unanimously considered good enough to be the starter cb in the national team wich has the best cbs average quality in the world.....
and to be fair, it's a bit harsh to judge his season as a bad season.... the real problem is that palermo (as a team) had some serious troubles in protecting the box this season.
if he would be playing in juve, with zanetti and sissoko covering his ass, u would consider him a GOD.

let's try an excercise: try to list the starting cbs of all the best national teams in the world; puyol and marchena, gallas and thuram, matijsen and heitinga, metzelder and mertsacker, ujfalusi and kovac, pepe and ricardo carvalho, juan and lucio, milito and ayala, ferdinand and terry......

now this is supposed to be the best the world has to offer, talking about cbs..... how many of them would u rate more than andrea??? 4??? maybe 5????
think carefully before replying, coz, depending on what u'll say, i might loose my respect for u :DD

I know there are more factors to his performance this season, and I don't think he's that bad actually. His defending is definitely above the average..... even for serie a standards. He probably won't become world class though.

Also the rating of the cb's is a false assesment, as there are many other cb's not in that list that I rate higher than Barzagli and he shouldn't even start for his national side. Plus a lot of the defences of the national sides are just of a shameful level. Mathijssen and Heitinga :lol:

But for the sake of it:
I think Gallas, Ujfalusi, Carvalho, Pepe, Juan, Ayala, Ferdinand and Terry out of your list above Barzagli, Thuram and Kovac used to be (much)better. And let me add this: Half of them I don't consider excellent cb's at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom