Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread

that's why i wrote "in the last 50 years..."
i can't really talk about english football prior the '50s,

And you were correct, I did not mean to suggest you were not I was just offering a reference on what went before and how we ended up with 4-4-2 and how our use of it differed from Brazil.

and many things u wrote are new to me, so thank u Van, really nice post ;)
talking about the things u wrote i already knew instead, i absolutely agree with u ;)

Thanks for the kind words.

anyway i was just trying to give a shallow idea of the main differences between the 2 schools. it's impossible to sum 50 years history in a few words and many things i wrote would deserve a deeper analisys... but it would take too much time... and pages :mrgreen:

It is nice to read your posts, the comments are almost always justified and intelligently made. I have appreciated your posts detailing Roma recently especially.

I said earlier that I would comment when I came back on the rest of your post. I am not sure I useful it would be to do so. You have given me good detail that I did not know prior and covered the issue well that I already knew. Good post.

of course. Today football is much more "globalised" and also the principal game systems names became nothing more than empty cases. Saying that a team plays with a 4-4-2 today doesn't mean anything, because there are hundreds of different interpretations of the 4-4-2 and each 4-4-2 is different because the interpreters (the players) and the orchestra director (the coach) are different.

This is one point I was trying to put across, but it is like a handshake, I was not educating you on the point just offering agreement because I knew the point is something you well understood.

Too many football fans still talk of the system as though the numbers give you a rigid way of play or of a 100% type of game, but that is of course complete rubbish.

A few years ago in England I heard commentators suggesting to one another that the 4-4-2 was dead as an international system of play because in a particular Euro championship a lot of teams were employing a 3-5-2 system. The commentators were suggesting that 4-4-2 was now maybe found to be flawed because you couldn’t control the midfield again such teams employing the extra man.

I thought how truly stupid are these people!!

First of all the players, play on the pitch not on paper. That the system might suggest one less player in midfield on paper but that means nothing in practice. I was thinking that 4-4-2 as is not really one system at all, as there as many ways of playing it etc. I was thinking equally 3-5-2 can be played many ways, right and wrong for differing situations. I was thinking that sometimes tactics can be to press home differing advantages, midfield control, quick counters etc and that always the idea of an extra man does not mean success. I was thinking that how well the players pass the ball, how well they play and execute the play and tactics is just as key as the tactics themselves etc…

I know you will be on my wave length and agree with me on this, anyone who truly understands football knows these fundamentals.

A example of th number meaning nothing came in a very bad away game that Everton played at Middlesboro in the F.A about 5 years ago….I do not remember the actual date but it was a dark day to support Everton.

The coach sent out Everton supposedly to play 3-5-2 and that is what was given as the formation on the television. Everton played the game with two defensive fullbacks supposedly in midfield in the wide midfield positions. Of course there natural tendency was to funnel back towards their own traditional positions at full back. So the name of the formation might have been 3-5-2, but in effect it was 5-3-2. We had a left back at right mid who became a right back, a left back at left mid who became a left back….we had an attacking mid that we played in a def mid role who dribbled the ball in our own half causing danger for us, who never dribbled where it could hurt the opposition…and we had two defensive mids in semi attacking mid roles as part of the central three who could not retain possession. Add to all this we had two short centre forwards who had no supply from wide positions apart from deep wide positions which meant long inaccurate passing to them in the air and we had two defensive mids dropping deep and getting in the way of the defensive mid who was dribbling in bad positions.

We were hammered, we had no control of the ball and the system was never 3-5-2 despite the captions saying otherwise. Yet when you talked to people after the game they said that we played badly because 3-5-2 was a bad system….hilariously sad if you understand me!!

Formations on paper mean little, it is the true formation on the pitch and the roles and actions on the pitch within the formations and the ability and the talent of the players on the pitch in enact the tactics of the coach. In that respect an orchestra is a very good metaphor for what is required, it is a very nice way to put it.

well, that's true in a measure, but the difference is slighter than u might think.
in fact inzaghi represent something unique in italy too.
our football nowadays is very different from 20, 30 years ago. we went trough many tactical revolutions, and today u can see the 20 teams serie a is composed by, playing in 20 different ways, with 20 different game systems, formations and gameplans (that's one of the most beautiful things in serie a today: the tactical variety).
but, as i said, inzaghi is something unique, and taking a look at our teams line ups, u'll notice that almost all of them usually play with (at least) 2 fowards (a tall fw and a short fast sp)... look at here:
atalanta: zampagna - muslimovic
cagliari: matri - acquafresca
empoli: saudati - pozzi
genoa: di vaio - borriello
inter: ibra - crespo\suazo\cruz\adriano
juve: trezegol - del piero
lazio: rocchi - pandev
livorno: tristan - tavano
napoli: zalayeta - lavezzi
palermo: amauri - miccoli
parma: corradi - reginaldo
samp: bonazzoli - montella
siena: corvia - chiesa
torino: ventola - recoba\rosina
udinese: quagliarella - di natale

as u can see the big man - little man is the main theme in italy too.

But I still feel that the tactics are still more versatile in Italy, certainly more teams play more flexibly. Outside of the top teams in England there is still a lot of inflexibility and somewhat rigid use of the flat 4-4-2 in the traditional English sense…with the key being the players much more so that tactical maneuvers.

I think that there is probably more use of the split striker still in seria a as well.

On the Inzaghi note once more. The physicality was still part of the equation and thinking that I rectified myself on. In the English league he would not be strong enough to play as a lone striker, even though he is strong enough to do this in seria a. This is nothing to do with some daft idea of players being tougher in England, it is to do with what referees will allow here and the protection then would not give him. Inzaghi has good technique and I see where you are coming from, but in England the coaches would be less likely to understand his use as a lone striker and they would be worried about him getting hammered by CBs….treatment that opposing CBs would like to do to him in seria a, but are not allowed…

moreover we also developed a very good sideline game. just consider Giampaolo's cagliari, rossi's lazio, novellino's samp (last season), mazzarri's reggina (last season) or del neri's chievo (a couple of seasons ago).

You are a mile ahead of me here. My knowledge of seria a is limited and I need to expand on what I know by taking in more games and gathering more experience of the Italian game.

finally our cbs are usually too good to allow a single player to take charge of the responsability on an entire offensive line just by himself.

And you have many fine exponents of the game in this position. Nesta has been one of the best CBs of all time for me as were Baresi, Canavaro, Montero, Scirea (all totally brilliant in different ways)….you might laugh I me including Montero in there I don’t know. My view of seria a is not as accurate, I have been looking in through frosted glass for a while. I want to get a better view of it now than before.

but inzaghi is something special. despite is phisique, he can still handle an entire defensive line just by himself, no matter how good or strong the opponent's cbs are; afterall there must be a reason if such a weird striker, who (apparently) hasn't any specifical ability (he's not a great dribbler, he's not a great ball holder, he has not a terrific shot, neither a great heading..) became one of the best european scorers of all time.

infact he has some qualilties. fist of all, he has an amazing vision of the goal line, he can score from almost everywhere, even whithout looking at the net.
he has an amazing ability in anticipating the game; he always starts running before his direct opponent, because he can "see" what is going to happen on the pitch, where the ball is going to be, before his opponent realizes it (also rooney and villa have this ability, despite they're very different fowards).

and finally he often uses a "trick" to elude the cbs coverage.

I have always rated Inzaghi. Some people have moaned about the number of times he is caught offside, but as a defender he must have been a nightmare to play against over the years because unless you had your eye on him, you would think where is he now is he slipping into space is he turning me etc. And yes he knows where the goal is, no doubt about that, many chances stem from his quick movement and thinking..

when he's waiting the ball (with his back oriented towards the net) he makes a couple of steps backwards, till he can touch the cb's body. then he litterally leans on the cb's body. when this happens the cb is screwed.... he can't do anything anymore.
inzaghi waits for the ball, and when it arrives to him he can easily turn around the cb, using his body as a lever, and shoot.
the cb has not a clear vision of what is happening, coz inzaghi is just ahead of him;
he can't intercept the pass because he's just behind inzaghi;
he can't push him, coz it would be a penalty;
he can't make a step backwards, coz inzaghi (who is leant on him) would fall on the ground, and it would be a penalty.

that's a terrific technique, coz it allows u to elude every cb's coverage (the bigger they are, the easily it is for inzaghi to "feel" their bodies with his back). there's just one way to avoid it. u have to try to cover inzaghi staying far from him... at least 3 steps..... but gifting 3 steps space to inzaghi is a suicide move, so....:mrgreen:

inzaghi scored many goals this way, against italian, german, spanish, english defences. i'm pretty sure if u'll do a search on youtube, u'll find at least one of theese goals. ;)

I have never doubted his ability. My comments relate to how the English coaches view the use of a front man and what they want from one, which differs form the Italian game. The tendency to cross the ball more which wouldn’t suit his game and the fact that in England….not in Europe with an Italian side playing against an English side….he would not get protected well enough to play that role…he would get badly fouled and whacked about the pitch until he did not want to play…

None of the above takes anything away from Inzaghi, it is just why he wouldn’t be a fit as a lone striker in the England…..But like I said all that is irrelevant apart from being a side note and an explanation on my thinking because Inzaghi is in seria a and not the EPL and I need to see more of his play as a lone striker in the Italian game….I need to see more seria a games period.

On reference to tall forwards and not seeing two on them played that often in the EPL you said;

yep, actually by saying "it happened many times" i meant to say 10, 15 times in the last 50 years.... while in italy it never happened.... btw 10\15 times isn't "many times", you're right, i just didn't express myself properly ;)

No what you said was perfectly ok, I was just making my own point, not correcting you I knew what you meant.

Van, i could just quote your whole post and put a :applause: below..... and it would probably be my shortest post ever :lol:
... but i guess that's not my style, so...

A few years ago in England I heard commentators suggesting to one another that the 4-4-2 was dead as an international system of play because in a particular Euro championship a lot of teams were employing a 3-5-2 system. The commentators were suggesting that 4-4-2 was now maybe found to be flawed because you couldn’t control the midfield again such teams employing the extra man.

:shock:
those commentators should really be fired! all ours game systems have a "life". as it happens for painting styles, writing styles, music genres... for many years a specific game system might be in vogue, then the trend changes in it becomes out of vogue.
but this won't ever happen fo 4-4-2. it can't happen... because 4-4-2 is not just a game system. 4-4-2 is football, is the soul of the game. everything comes from 4-4-2. 4-4-2 is the primordial form of football. It's the most versatile game system and this feature will guarrantee to it an eternal life.

The coach sent out Everton supposedly to play 3-5-2 and that is what was given as the formation on the television. Everton played the game with two defensive fullbacks supposedly in midfield in the wide midfield positions. Of course there natural tendency was to funnel back towards their own traditional positions at full back. So the name of the formation might have been 3-5-2, but in effect it was 5-3-2. We had a left back at right mid who became a right back, a left back at left mid who became a left back….we had an attacking mid that we played in a def mid role who dribbled the ball in our own half causing danger for us, who never dribbled where it could hurt the opposition…and we had two defensive mids in semi attacking mid roles as part of the central three who could not retain possession. Add to all this we had two short centre forwards who had no supply from wide positions apart from deep wide positions which meant long inaccurate passing to them in the air and we had two defensive mids dropping deep and getting in the way of the defensive mid who was dribbling in bad positions.

We were hammered, we had no control of the ball and the system was never 3-5-2 despite the captions saying otherwise. Yet when you talked to people after the game they said that we played badly because 3-5-2 was a bad system….hilariously sad if you understand me!!

:lol::lol::lol:
it happens always and everywhere!:lmao::lmao:
i'm starting to think the 3-5-2 game system doesn't really exist :lol: maybe it's just a trick a coach can use to set up a defensive formation, ducking to be accused of being too conservative :D

But I still feel that the tactics are still more versatile in Italy, certainly more teams play more flexibly. Outside of the top teams in England there is still a lot of inflexibility and somewhat rigid use of the flat 4-4-2 in the traditional English sense…with the key being the players much more so that tactical maneuvers.

I think that there is probably more use of the split striker still in seria a as well.
yep, that's true. in fact each of theese teams (despite having 2 fowards) plays with a different game system, formation, line up and mentality. As i told u, the tactical variety is probably the most beautiful thing in serie a, and is also what makes serie a unique.

On the Inzaghi note once more. The physicality was still part of the equation and thinking that I rectified myself on. In the English league he would not be strong enough to play as a lone striker, even though he is strong enough to do this in seria a. This is nothing to do with some daft idea of players being tougher in England, it is to do with what referees will allow here and the protection then would not give him. Inzaghi has good technique and I see where you are coming from, but in England the coaches would be less likely to understand his use as a lone striker and they would be worried about him getting hammered by CBs….treatment that opposing CBs would like to do to him in seria a, but are not allowed…......
.....I have never doubted his ability. My comments relate to how the English coaches view the use of a front man and what they want from one, which differs form the Italian game. The tendency to cross the ball more which wouldn’t suit his game and the fact that in England….not in Europe with an Italian side playing against an English side….he would not get protected well enough to play that role…he would get badly fouled and whacked about the pitch until he did not want to play….....

i definitely agree with u. actually i already did. i just meant to talk a little about him, explaining his features as, they're quite unusual (he's pretty different from most of the strikers in europe) ;)

once again, nice post Van. I'm really enjoying this conversation :D

Good conversation will have to wait for more sensible times Hehe. I am ecstatic that we have just won away in the Ukraine and are in the UEFA cup group phase. Especially as I have just watched a game that we deserved to lose about 8-1 :shock:

We totally outplayed Metalist in the first leg and should have won three nil. We were one nil up and won a penalty. Johnson scored and the lunatic ref made him take it again because one of their players had one foot inside the box...the subsequent penalty was missed. We got a third penalty and that was missed and we should have had another on as the ref lost all control of the game and sent off two of their players. We played against nine men who played all 9 behind the ball. We couldn't break them down and they then go up the other end on a counter and get 1-1 from a game that should have been a 3-0 win.

Tonight we go to the Ukraine with high hopes. They play an a very similar system to Roma with one striker and many midfield runners and even though they are a very average side they play like they are posessed and and we just can't cope at all. We defend poorly and our coach Moyes played a different system in this one European game (tinkering with what works). Anyway we can't defend, we lose confidence and can't pass, all the fundamentals broke down. They go one nil up early and we fear for the worst. They had many more chance and keep missing them.

We have one break away and score. They get a break and go down the other end of the pitch and a ball is played into a midfield runner on the edge of the box and we have no defender anywhere near him. The player has an age to turn from his back to goal to face the goal and shoot. The ball hits the post and they follow up and we are 2-1 behind away from home after 60 odd minutes and we should be getting hammered. We created a couple of chances and McFadden scores a very nice goal from no where and now because of the away goals rule we are in the lead Haha. Moyes changes the system to 5 in midfield and I was very worried as to whether we could hold on, at least now they do not have all those free midfield runners and we have good coverage in midfield. They come at us in waves and we fear the worst. Then unexplicably there is a terrible defensive header supposed to be back to the keeper and Victor Achinebe (our strong raw Nigerian striker) latches onto the ball and rounds the keeper...still he has players to beat blocking his path to goal and with great composure which I now totally lack he rounds his man and slots the ball between the keeper getting back and the other man on the line...Goodnight Vienna\\:o/

We win 3-2 in a match we should lose by maybe 8 or 10 goals Haha

I then open up a Bottle of Malbec from mendoza Argentina and glug a loverly red glass of wine while I write you all my rubbish Hehe

YESSS!!!

Not much of a tactical breakdown because one was not required. A completely bonkers match, where players made so many individual and collective mistakes that no formation in the world would have helped us for most of the match..buy who care now Hehe

P.S

I know this is seria a thread so sorry but I had to convey this...\\:o/

Last edited:

Stunning goal!!

I wish I had seen that live.

In fact I wouldn't have minded seening Roma today, but I got stuck watching the Fiorentina Juventus match which was quite a tight tactical affair, but lacking in passion.

Well apart from the Chiellini Vieri incident.

I cannot believe that a decent player like Chiellini can think that you can get away with pulling a player the size of Vieri down in Florence without conceding a penalty :shock:

Can you imagine the strength that would be required to that and what ability it would take to do it without being seen by someone looking directly at it? Mental.

Sometimes profesional footballers have a stupidity that seems so profound that it is difficult to understand.

Anyway I guess it was a correct result in the end. Juve had lots of chances on the counter, but of course they all stemmed from the comfort of a one goal lead from Iaquinta that should never have counted given Trezeguets position.

Talking about stupidity, why didn't the Fiorentina defence or keeper protest at all?

Anyway...I wouldn't mind hearing a good review of this game from people who watched it as I must admit that by the time it was on I had already sunk three large glasses of Barolo and I am not sure I had the most accurate of viewpoints :lol:

Last edited:

I didnt enjoy the Fiorentina/Juve match, quite boring really I thought. First Serie A match I've seen this season aswell.

However, Lazio Milan just now was much better! 5-1 Milan and Lazio didnt even play especially badly, Kaka was quality, and they just destroyed Lazio on the counter attack.

Gilardino's 2nd goal was a brilliant team goal - I'll try and find a clip.

Damn it Legrottaglie, take a lesson from Nesta, Zambrotta and Maldini and keep your hands behind your back in the box! What an unneassasary clown's-jump that cost two points.

Legrottaglie played well.. until he made an error that cost us two points. A defender just can't permit to make such mistakes. One crucial error equals a bad performance for a defender.. simple as.

Strangely enough, except for that one error, we stood well as a defensive unit for once. Chiellini is simply excellent. One would never guess he is only 23, based on his performance(s). ( about Vieri vs Chiellini, the pulling came equally from both players and I love those moments.. adds a little spice to the game)

Ranieri fielded his team well. His tactics nullified Fiorentina's play. Fiorentina playing better is just an optic ilusion. They might have had more possesion and played the ball around better, but we had the best chances. It should have been at least 0-2 midway the second half.

Our midfield was containing Fiorentina pretty well. I thought Ranieri's only mistakes lay in taking Nedved and Iaquinta off. Nedved was always the danger factor in the counter attacks and Iaquinta simply put in a man of the match performance, the guy makes so much metres and he is so difficult to deal with for defenders.

While I argued that we nullified Fiorentina well, our build-up play was just unwatchable. It was shit really. Ranieri is playing quite 'old-fashioned' really.

One might argue, that a draw is a fair result, based on the debatable Iaquinta goal and Fiorentina's hard work, yet I really feel Juve should've come away with the win as the game was under control for most of the match.

... Will Milan get under or over 30 penalties this season?

Last edited:

I cannot believe that a decent player like Chiellini can think that you can get away with pulling a player the size of Vieri down in Florence without conceding a penalty

Can you imagine the strength that would be required to that and what ability it would take to do it without being seen by someone looking directly at it? Mental.

Sometimes profesional footballers have a stupidity that seems so profound that it is difficult to understand.

well, Van it's not just hard, it's impossible to understand... but that's because we're sitting on a couch. being on the pitch the situation is pretty different. it happens quite often that football players have stupid reactions.... just take a look at giuly's hand foul last week against during roma - inter. that was a natural, impulsive reaction. im pretty sure that just 1 second after his foul giuly was thinking "what an idiot i am, what the hell was i thinking"
it happens quite often on the football pitch; u're full of adrenaline, u're facing a risky situation, u don't have the time to think..... Chiellini is a very good player (much more than decent, Van ;)), but he's still very young and unexperienced and yesterday he was playing off role. besides, when u see vieri running like a rhino towards your goalkeeper..... well it must be quite scaring :lol:

talking about fiorentina - juve, well it was by far the most boring match of the day..... really awful, from what i saw (and according to what all the newspapers here in italy are saying).
anyway mine expectations on the match weren't high. Juve doesn't play a good football.... but that's absolutely normal.... they're a new team, ranieri is trying to find the right balance, by changing the game system and the players every week (and the injuries aren't helping him for sure), so we can't expect them to play good football.

talking about fiorentina, well donadel, mutu, frey, ujfalusi, gamberini and semioli played until midnight thursday (extra time and penalties against Groningen), so they were too tired to play their silky football. Prandelli himself admitted fiorentina had his worst performance yesterday (since prandelli is in charge). no ball on the ground... too many long passes, u could really see how tired they were just by looking at their gameplan.

still talking about the fiorentina - juve match, the ref was a disaster (wich is a bad surprise, as rizzoli is usually a very good ref). Trezeguet was in offside, during juventus goal action, there was a clear penalty on semioli (and also the chiellini-vieri incident could deserve a penalty).... and theese are just the biggest mistakes.... rizzoli was really awful

U were really unlucky, Jumberto, if that was your first serie a match.... but stay tuned, as serie a has much more to offer ;)

as for me, i watched palermo - reggina and genoa - cagliari yesterday (jumping between the 2 matches continuously)..... i prefere not to talk about palermo (i didn't saw palermo playing so bad since our serie c days:().

genoa was great instead. finally gasperini is back to "his football" and genoa was a real pleasure to watch yesterday :D
a little note for the milanisti here: borriello is scoring more than the whole milan team :shock:.... he would really coming handy to ancelotti at the moment.

Talking about lazio - milan, well the match wasn't really great. Milan got a great result, but it was mostly because of muslera (i already wrote about muslera days ago, so i won't repeat myself :8):).
he was really a disaster. he had a huge responsability on each milan's goal.... with ballotta the match would have been different. Milan wasn't really great, but they still grabbed the 3 points and that's the most important thing at the moment for them.
ambrosini's goal was pretty nice to see. he was really smart; he saw muslera out of position and tried a long lifted ball. but once again, with another keeper (ballotta? :roll:) ambrosini wouldn't have scored.

actually i enjoyed much more lazio's goal :D.. wich reminded me last season's lazio.

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q4wQKzkzrM

that's a great goal!
do u see why serie a is something special??!!! u won't see theese goals in any other league :8):
mutarelli saw behrami going on 1 on 1 versus milan's sideback and attacked the space to receive a clean ball, then the first touch cross for mauri, who was on the ohter side of the pitch.
when football meets rugby.... u got lazio! :applause:
That's football!!!!!!

in the 2nd half lazio slowly went out of the pitch.... the players were tired, after the real madrid match; lazio hasn't a deep roster and many of their players are injured so they played with almost the same starting 11 that played against real.
and muslera gave lazio the coup the grace :(

a little note: i was watching the match with some friends yesterday. one of them told me "do u know why people outside italy can't really appreciate serie a? because it takes to deeply understand football to appreciate the beauty of this league. most of the people in europe just care about individual efforts and big plays and they don't care if those big plays are due to big defensive mistakes... just take a look at this match. tomorrow everybody in europe will talk about ambrosini's goal, and nobody will notice lazio's goal.... here in italy instead everyody will snub ambrosini's goal, coz it was just an individual play caused by a huge defensive mistake, and everybody will appreciate lazio's goal"

got to admit he was right.
btw this doesn't wanna be a criticism to football lovers outside italy, and this thread is full of british posters who really understand football (like Satty, Van and Tobi ;):))

Van, do u remember what i told u about inter a couple of weeks ago?
...most of inter players are over 185 centimeters height... they will need time to get in decent athletic conditions.....
...in 1 month inter will be back again an awesome team.......

inter is like a diesel :8):

p.s.
I must admit that by the time it was on I had already sunk three large glasses of Barolo and I am not sure I had the most accurate of viewpoints
such an appropriate choice for a juve match ;)
may i ask u how much did it cost the bottle? I guess u're in england.... and i guess a barolo bottle must be really expensive there.
years ago i've been in england for a couple of months (Porthsmouth and southampton)... i badly looked for italian wines... but i was really unlucky... i just find some bad quality productions and they were all really expensives :(
sorry for the little off topic:mrgreen:

Damn it Legrottaglie, take a lesson from Nesta, Zambrotta and Maldini and keep your hands behind your back in the box! What an unneassasary clown's-jump that cost two points.

Legrottaglie played well.. until he made an error that cost us two points. A defender just can't permit to make such mistakes. One crucial error equals a bad performance for a defender.. simple as.

yep, it was a silly mistake, Don. but still i have to admit i'm really surprised by legrottaglie performances so far.... he has been petty good, imo. :)

saying ranieri's line up nullified fiorentina is maybe a little too much. i'd say fiorentina nullified itself, coz their players looked pretty tired on the pitch.
anyway ranieri did a good job (once again). before expressing ourselves about ranieri, we always have to remind that he's working on a new team.... and we can't ask too much to juve at the moment.
we'll have to wait next spring to express a fari judgement about juve and ranieri's work ;)

sorry for double posting :mrgreen:

Ranieri fielded his team well. His tactics nullified Fiorentina's play. Fiorentina playing better is just an optic ilusion. They might have had more possesion and played the ball around better, but we had the best chances. It should have been at least 0-2 midway the second half.

They had more possession because you allowed them to have more possession, that to me seemed to be a product of A) having score the opening goal and sitting on the game a little, B) the Ranieri set-up and C) so you could hit on the counter. From my limited and somewhat wine soaked viewpoint Hehe

Our midfield was containing Fiorentina pretty well. I thought Ranieri's only mistakes lay in taking Nedved and Iaquinta off. Nedved was always the danger factor in the counter attacks and Iaquinta simply put in a man of the match performance, the guy makes so much metres and he is so difficult to deal with for defenders.

Iaquinta is one of the last players I would think of taking off the pitch when you wish to defend a lead from the front and maybe snatch as goal on the counter… ….work rate, pace, strength, crossing and heading ability, can hold the ball up or be in over the top. That is just me, not even sure why I feel this way or if I am right but….

While I argued that we nullified Fiorentina well, our build-up play was just unwatchable. It was shit really. Ranieri is playing quite 'old-fashioned' really.

One might argue, that a draw is a fair result, based on the debatable Iaquinta goal and Fiorentina's hard work, yet I really feel Juve should've come away with the win as the game was under control for most of the match.

The game didn’t make for the best view for me. Your argument on control of the game and chances, but also one could make an argument for that control and those chances being afforded initially by the opening goal, so I think there is validity in both arguments given we have no way of knowing what would happen if the goal did not count…..no valid argument for saying you are wrong in any way though juveboy.

well, Van it's not just hard, it's impossible to understand... but that's because we're sitting on a couch. being on the pitch the situation is pretty different. it happens quite often that football players have stupid reactions.... just take a look at giuly's hand foul last week against during roma - inter. that was a natural, impulsive reaction. im pretty sure that just 1 second after his foul giuly was thinking "what an idiot i am, what the hell was i thinking"
it happens quite often on the football pitch; u're full of adrenaline, u're facing a risky situation, u don't have the time to think
:

Of course I agree that it is much harder to make judgment calls in the moment, I used to be a professional sports coach so I know these things well.

But part of coaching over the years of course is to give a player an underlying tendency to do things in a better way and of course some decisions are more instinctive and harder to prevent than others. It is subjective of course, but for me the Guily incident is more excusable as it is a very natual and split second thing. But pulling Vieri is more callous and has a greater level of intent I would argue, particularly when it goes on longer than a second or two.

I guess some players have more of a football brain than others at a young age. Some learn with time and become more adept at making the correct decisions and some never learn from mistakes. You forgive mistakes in talented young players and you hope they learn from those mistakes.

Also not all footballers have the innate intelligence of a Del Piero say….time and teaching to be crafty is required for many.

Chiellini is a very good player (much more than decent, Van ;)), but he's still very young and unexperienced and yesterday he was playing off role. besides, when u see vieri running like a rhino towards your goalkeeper..... well it must be quite scaring :lol:
:

Ahh. There is a double meaning to the word decent. There is decent meaning ok that stems from decent behavior where the word can be replaced by acceptable. There is also a slang definition of decent, where decent means very good; an English understatement. I should try to be clearer and less ambiguous- sorry.

Of course you are quite right to mentioned the experience factor and that of the position, as I was saying above. Vieri running at me….I don’t want to think about that thanks Haha.

by changing the game system and the players every week (and the injuries aren't helping him for sure), so we can't expect them to play good football.
:

Makes sense. How long is it until Camoranesi is back? Andrade?

What is the extent of the injury list and time out?

U were really unlucky, Jumberto, if that was your first serie a match.... but stay tuned, as serie a has much more to offer ;)

I can confirm the truth of this statement, Jumberto you could probably blame me the like of neutral entertainment in this one though as I seem to be picking and choosing some bad games of late…seems to have moved from the Bundesliga with me to the English prem and then onto seria a….I apologise.

ambrosini's goal was pretty nice to see. he was really smart; he saw muslera out of position and tried a long lifted ball. but once again, with another keeper (ballotta? :roll:) ambrosini wouldn't have scored.

I appreciate the idea and execution irrespective of any error by the keeper, but don’t doubt that the opportunity might not have arisen in differing circumstances.

In relation to the Lazio goal you said;

do u see why serie a is something special??!!! u won't see theese goals in any other league :8):

That is a very bold statement and to be fair, I don’t agree with it. I have seen goals like this in both La Liga and the English premiership.

It is a wonderful goal and goals like this are rare gems and certainly thin on the ground.

You might see more of this type of goal in seria that the English league granted. You would only see a goal like that from Arsenal, Manchester United or these days Manchester City in the English league, it would be highly unlikely to stem from another team in the English league. In La Liga you can certainly see this type of goal from Barcelona and maybe from a side like Sevilla….

There may be validity in your point in terms of how often you see such goals and/or from which teams…

By the way I prefer the Lazio goal to the Ambrosini goal, but I didn’t have the benefit of seeing it until you added the youtube action to the thread (thanks for that appreciated).

Van, do u remember what i told u about inter a couple of weeks ago?
Yes I do recall and your remarks are being legitimised week by week at present. It would seem as though you are correct.

such an appropriate choice for a juve match ;)
may i ask u how much did it cost the bottle? I guess u're in england.... and i guess a barolo bottle must be really expensive there.

Of course you may ask. The bottle was £20 which is quite expensive, in fact Barollo if it is decent (sorry haha) good is fairly expensive generally and yes I am in England. A lot of good wine is over priced here….

Must go…running late….nice conversation.

There may be validity in your point in terms of how often you see such goals and/or from which teams…

oups! my bad ;)
actually that's exactly what i wanted to write. " u won't see theese goals scored by mid class teams in any other league"... that's what i wanted to say.... i forgot to write the most important part! :lol:

last season, lazio, reggina, empoli and samp scored tons of goals like this one and they're far from being top class clubs (like arsenal, man utd, barca or sevilla).

talking about juve's injury list, camo will be out for still a couple of weeks, i guess, while andrade is probably out for the rest of the season.
and i have no idea when marchionni will be back :(

still talking about injuries..... roma lost aquilani for 6 weeks after the manchester injury. that's really a bad news :(

Of course you may ask. The bottle was £20 which is quite expensive, in fact Barollo if it is decent (sorry haha) good is fairly expensive generally and yes I am in England. A lot of good wine is over priced here….

not that expensive, for a bottle of barolo. in england i paid much more for mid class wines. thanks for the info mate :D;)

Last edited:

Haha of course I will stay tuned, I wouldn't judge the league and the season by one match! It just happened that this was the first Serie A match i have managed to see this season and Fiorentina-Juve was the only televised match here this weekend. I managed to catch Lazio-Milan online and I think this will be how I watch most of the Italian matches this season.

a little note: i was watching the match with some friends yesterday. one of them told me "do u know why people outside italy can't really appreciate serie a? because it takes to deeply understand football to appreciate the beauty of this league. most of the people in europe just care about individual efforts and big plays and they don't care if those big plays are due to big defensive mistakes... just take a look at this match. tomorrow everybody in europe will talk about ambrosini's goal, and nobody will notice lazio's goal.... here in italy instead everyody will snub ambrosini's goal, coz it was just an individual play caused by a huge defensive mistake, and everybody will appreciate lazio's goal"

That's an interesting thought and I can see your friends point completely. I guess its just a cultural thing and different ways of looking at football. I wouldn't say only the individual goals are cared about in England, often in 'Goal of the Month' on Match of the Day there are great team goals included. People love Arsenal's slick, one-touch, team moves that end in a goal more than Frank Lampard's 25 yard smashes for example.

I agree it was a defensive error for the goal. It just caught me by surprise that's why I thought it was such a good finish at the time. Also it wasn't the only time Muslera showed his inexperience, the penalty could have been avoided, although I thought Gila made a bit of a meal of it, if you make contact like that in the area you can only expect one thing.

Anyway I hope to post some more in this thread when I watch some more Serie A in the coming weeks.:)

I think I'll have to come back tomorrow and read this page, theres so much to read.

:lol:

not that expensive, for a bottle of barolo. in england i paid much more for mid class wines. thanks for the info mate :D;)

To a man that does not understand the importance of wine, to a man in the street it is expensive or at least relatively expensive.....you know the importance of wine and good wine is not understood by your every day moron :lmao:

Wine is life ;)

I acquired that wine for a special price and as we all know the highest price does not mean the best wine. Someone who cares for good wine and also their pocket and not a rich man seeks out a way to obtain good wine for less than a kings ransom.

You MUST understand that in the UK this can be advanced to a fine art and be akin to a great coach seeking out a brilliant player young foreign player that has as before not been unearthed..:lol:

That Barolo was my Solskjaer Hehe

I like a wine that comes from a little known grape (in the UK) called aglianico…..

Do you know of any UK wines of this grape that are good? (given your London location?).

I cannot believe that a decent player like Chiellini can think that you can get away with pulling a player the size of Vieri down in Florence without conceding a penalty

They were trying to out-bearhug each other
this is a well known Austrian tradition...

I think I'll have to come back tomorrow and read this page, theres so much to read.

Yes this is the type of analysis that C5 needs....

I like a wine that comes from a little known grape (in the UK) called aglianico…..

Do you know of any UK wines of this grape that are good? (given your London location?).

mate, u're a continuous surprise:D
my mother was born in napoli, so of course i know that grape very well. it's one of the most ancient grapes in the earth and it has a very intense and "dry" flavour; it's not sweet and "silky" as a chardonnay or a chianti and it takes to be real wine lovers to appreciate his bouquet (it's a black cherry\wild berry-flavoured wine).
so congrats for your sophisticated and educated taste :applause:

unfortunately i don't know any uk wines grew from this grape.
afterall this grape requires a warm and dry climate to grow well (it gives its best on volcanic turfs), so i guess it's pretty hard for this grape to grow in uk.

here in italy there are hundreds of great\very good\good aglianico-made wines and many of them are pretty cheap, but i guess outside italy they're quite expensives and hard to find.
anyway mate, if u like aglianico, u just can't die before drinking "la firma" from "la cantina del notaio" wine cellar.
http://www.cantinedelnotaio.it/i_prodottiview.asp?Pag=5&SubPag=1&Id=1
(if u go back to the homepage of this site and then click on products\wines\la firma, u will also find the english translated version of this page).

u can also buy it on the internet for 35 euros per bottle..... i know it's not really cheap, but if u like this grape, u have to drink this at least once in your life ;)
believe me, it's wonderful
http://www.vivinum.com/Basilikata-Cantine-del-Notaio-Aglianico-del-Vulture-DOC-La-Firma-2003-1002062.html

....I appreciate the idea and execution irrespective of any error by the keeper....

that's really a witty answer, van ;)
next time my friend will snub la liga and premiership, i'll know how to reply :D

sorry for the lil off topic guys :mrgreen:

and btw, i'm really happy to see many "new entries" in this thread! the more we are, the better it is :D

They were trying to out-bearhug each other
this is a well known Austrian tradition...
:lol: nice one, mate

Last edited:

That's an interesting thought and I can see your friends point completely. I guess its just a cultural thing and different ways of looking at football. I wouldn't say only the individual goals are cared about in England, often in 'Goal of the Month' on Match of the Day there are great team goals included. People love Arsenal's slick, one-touch, team moves that end in a goal more than Frank Lampard's 25 yard smashes for example.

sorry, Jumberto, i hadn't the time to reply to u last time... i'll do it now :)

actually my friend's one was a bit of a cheap shot. i mean he wasn't far from being true, but u can't just spit on any other european league just because they don't defend well; neither u can't generalize, by saying that every italian fan will be more "educated" about football.

our (italian) media are sure a big treasure, and they're a great factor in raising the italian guys football knowledge level..... but i also know many italians who have no idea what football is about...... exactly as i knew many european, asian and american guys who know football much more than me.

anyway Jumberto, u're right; it's a cultural thing, a different approach to football. and that's my opinion about it......

in italy the defensive phase of the game is something sophisticated and sober in the same time. the players are (of course) always the most important part of the game.... but when it's about defending, italians don't ever talk about "single players", they always talk about a "branch" of the team; the defensive line.

people usually (at least those who know football) talk about attacking line, midfielders line, defensive line. But actually the word "line" (or section or branch or sector) perfectly fits just the defense.
the expression "attacking line" is ususally quite unappropriate, because it postulates 4 players (at least) attacking togheter, acting upon precises schemes. Most of the teams in europe attack with 4 players, but never on the same time, they usually don't push togheter, and, most important, they don't act upon a precise scheme. the attackers are usually much more free from the coach directives, than the defenders. usually fowards, wings and advanced midfielders have much more freedom than cbs, sidebacks and defensive midfielders...... so, most of the time we can't really talk about an "attacking line", because there isn't an "attacking phase" of the game.

talking about the midfielders line might be quite unappropriate too, coz, the evolution of the tactics changed the concept of the midfield. today we can't see a diamond midfield, a midfield with 2 sidebacks almost on the midfield line (pushing) and 2 wings cutting inside, or a midfield with 2 guys playing behind the midfield line, protecting the defense or doing the play-by-play.
so, most of the times also the expression "midfielders line" is wrong.

talking about the defense instead, the situation is pretty different..... at least here in italy. infact unlike what happens in the other european countries, in italy the defenders always coordinate their movements; they act like a little army, well organised and disposed.

u won't ever see 2 sidebacks pushing on the same time in italy (... well actually roma does it sometimes... but it's something unintentional, as each time it happens Spalletti starts yelling at his players :mrgreen:).
when one sideback starts pushing, the defensive line (the 2 cbs and the remaining sideback) slides on the left or on the right, to recover the hole left by the pushing sideback.

u won't ever see a cb going on 1 on 1 versus an attacker. Sometimes a cb leaves his spot in the "imaginary defensive axis" to go marking an opponent; it might look like a 1 on 1 situation..... but it isn't; in fact if u look at the other cb (or at one of the sidebacks) u'll notice he's harmonizing his position with the ball current position (not the other cb's position, neither the opponent attacking player's position... the ball position). that's a fake 1 on 1.

u will always see the defensive line making the appropriate adjustements to cover the holes left by those players who are pushing foward.
just take a look at van buyten's position, when lucio starts pushing...... or look at Mertesacker's position, when naldo moves foward...... or at thuram's or metzelder's position, when puyol and cannavaro try to anticipate the opponent foward.........

then look at what kaladze, cordoba, rinaudo, mexes, vanigli, couto, cribari, dainelli, domizzi, sala, terlizzi do, when their teamates move foward. that's the difference between the italian school and the others european schools. our defenders never play as a "lone man" they always act togheter, they always react to their teammates movements.

in spain, germany, england and france u will see quite often a "3 (attackers) versus 3 (defenders) situation", or a "2 vs 2" situation, or a "4 vs 4 situation"..... in italy it never happens.

defending with as many players as the upcoming attackers is pretty dangerous, and it's a tactical mistake; because the attackers are running (not walking) towards the box and this gives them a big advantage, when they have to dribble their opponents.
that's why the defensive axis must always be composed by 3 men (when the upcoming attackers are 2) or 4 men (when the upcoming attackers are 3).
otherwise it will be pretty easy for the opponents to past the defensive line. this will (usually) bring to many scoring chances.
in italy this doesn't happen, coz our defenders always talk to each others, they coordinate their movements and their position on each action. and this (usually) brings to less scoring chances.

that's why english, spanish, german guys often find "boring" our football (because there aren't many scoring chances)..... and that's also the reason why italians (usually) find "boring" english, spanish, or german football (because most of the scoring chances in those leagues are due to huge defensive mistakes).

no need to say both of them are wrong; english, spanish and german football aren't worse than italian football, just coz of their different approach to the game... they're just different.
and italian football isn't boring.... it's sophisticated ;)

that friend who pointed out that statement about the higher tactical standard of the italian league was right. and he's right also when he says that it's hard to appreciate italian football... it takes to have a deep knowledge of the game.
but he's clearely wrong when he says that the italian league is better than the others just coz of our sophisticated tactical imprinting.
my friend usually makes a funny (and wrong, imo) comparison. he says "if u watch kasparov and karpov playing chess, u might be bored, because they're great, and they can anticipate their opponent moves; they don't commit mistakes, so a non expert watcher could be bored by the game; but a real chess expert will be delighted by their ability.
the same way, a real expert will be bored by watching an amateur's chess match, because he will notice all their mistakes; while a non expert will be excited by the "action" ".

it this would be true (and if his comparison would be appropriate), then the italian teams should smash their european opponents every year, during the champions league..... but this doesn't happen.

as i wrote days ago, football isn't just about tactic... it's also about mentality.... and the other european leagues are better than us, talking about this.
we're really improving, talking about mentality, and in the past few years serie a made some great steps foward, talking about the courage of our coaches.... but there's still a lot of work to do in this direction.

getting back to the main theme of the post (the italian defenders), our tendency to consider the defensive line as an "axis", our habit to not to judge our cbs just by themselves, to evauate them as "a part of something bigger" allowed us to diversify our defensive school.
if each cb has just to look at his opponents, if he doens't have to harmonize his position with his teammates, then he must be able to do anything; covering, marking, anticipating, etc...

but if we consider the defensive line like a "one-body-army", then we can try to give some specific directives to each of the members of this army.
this brought us to develop different cbs school;

there are standing cbs (stoppers), who take the lead of the defensive line, guide their teammates, have a dialogue with the goalkeeper (to find the most appropriate adjustements of the "axis") and cover those defenders who try to push foward.
Scirea, Burgnich, gentile, wierchowood, picchi are the most famous italian standing defenders.

there are standing and pushing cbs, who don't anticipates the ball, wait for the opponent, but who try to push toward the midfield (carrying the ball with themselves), once they get the ball.
maldini, nesta, bergomi, facchetti, baresi are the most famous standing and pushing cbs (and it's not a coincidence if many of them used to play as sidebacks, before moving on the centre).

then there are anticipating cbs, who always try to anticipate their opponents, by intercepting the passes. Cannavaro is probably the greatest intercepting cb of all times.

of course also in england, spain, germany and france u can appreciate some differences between the cbs..... but theese differences are really little if compared to the italians cb's differences.
i mean carvalho and terry or puyol and marquez are sure different cbs, but they're not as different as nesta and kaladze or cribari and stendardo, or barzagli and rinaudo.
to put it in simple words, the level of specialization of the italian cbs is much higher.

cannavaro is quite a good example. he's by far the best anticipating cb in the world. but if u place him as a "standing cb", then he's nothing more than a good cb.... sure not better than terry or thuram (who are standing cbs).

this situation brought our coaches to focus themselves in finding a good mix of cbs, looking for the best balance. For example, lining up 2 anticipating cbs is a suicide move. an anticipating cb has to play beside a standing cb, coz if he miss the ball, somebody has to cover the hole left by the anticipating cb.
just look at this action:
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=yMwrzLVbGRw

as u can see a "cannavaro" can be a great value added to a defensive line.... but a cannavaro-like player usually takes some risks.
in this action, he foresees where the ball is going and run toward that position to anticipate the opponent...... but by doing this, he also leaves a huge hole behind him.
so it's mostly important that a sideback or a defensive midfielder "predict" what cannavaro is up to do and run toward the hole he will leave in a few seconds; coz if cannavaro will miss the ball the situation will become pretty dangerous for italy.

that's what i mean when i talk about cbs specialization..... and by realising this u will also easily understand why cannavaro is playing so bad at real madrid ;)

anyway this post is becoming really too long (even for my standards :mrgreen:), so it's better if i cut it here :D

Last edited:

mate, u're a continuous surprise:D

I don’t know if that is good or bad though :)

:
my mother was born in napoli, so of course i know that grape very well. it's one of the most ancient grapes in the earth and it has a very intense and "dry" flavour; it's not sweet and "silky" as a chardonnay or a chianti and it takes to be real wine lovers to appreciate his bouquet (it's a black cherry\wild berry-flavoured wine).
so congrats for your sophisticated and educated taste :applause:

I tend overall to prefer red wine that is more complicated and difficult. Something that requires analysis and is not well like by all, a bit like me.

The Aglianico wine that I have previously tasted has had (excuse the bizarre references)

Aniseed/coffee like texures/tastes..very dark and dry and very nice to my palate. It is a silly wine program that gives the English the odd references to other tastes, so don't take what I say too seriously on that front :)

I also like very dark and difficult oaky Malbecs from Mendoza in Argentina. I even like contemporary grapes like chambourcin, which can sometimes result in dark inky reds with complex layered concentrated flavours.

You mentioned that the Barolo was appropriate the other week given the game I watched and you now mention knowing this grape very well given your connection to Napoli.

I must confess that I was not aware of the appropriateness or lack thereof when making references to these wines.

I will take a look at the links you have kindly provided and see what I can do to ensure that I taste this wine for your benefit; not mine you understand :)

unfortunately i don't know any uk wines grew from this grape.
afterall this grape requires a warm and dry climate to grow well (it gives its best on volcanic turfs), so i guess it's pretty hard for this grape to grow in uk.

That is funny…it is ok, I didn’t express myself very well, what I meant was;

“Did you know of any good Italian wines of this grape variety that were commonly available in the UK, given you are currently in London”. I know that this is an Italian grape and that the best of its type are obviously Italian, but that is qualified by what is good and available in the UK that you could recommend.

The idea of this wine being grown in the UK is…well a little humorous and not something I meant but it was down to my ambiguous writing….still funny though…..

I apologise to others in the thread for the off topic conversation…

Thanks again for the wine references lo zio.

P.S

I looked at the mail above and was going to comment but…maybe not.

Sometimes it is better to let other people have their say and not always be the one involved in the conversation….

Last edited:

I don’t know if that is good or bad though :)

it's a good thing, of course ;):)

It is a silly wine program that gives the English the odd references to other tastes, so don't take what I say too seriously on that front
:mrgreen:

You mentioned that the Barolo was appropriate the other week given the game I watched and you now mention knowing this grape very well given your connection to Napoli.

I must confess that I was not aware of the appropriateness or lack thereof when making references to these wines.

well, barolo is the most important piemontese (piemonte is an italian region) wine. Piemonte's capital is torino (hence the relationship with juve).
aglianico instead grows mostly in Campania (and Napoli is Campania's capital) and basilicata. ;)

....and see what I can do to ensure that I taste this wine for your benefit; not mine you understand....
actually i don't:-s

“Did you know of any good Italian wines of this grape variety that were commonly available in the UK, given you are currently in London”. I know that this is an Italian grape and that the best of its type are obviously Italian, but that is qualified by what is good and available in the UK that you could recommend.
:lol: i see, now everithing makes more sense :lol:
well Van, actually i'm not in London :)

just one last thing before we move back to football, mate. when u buy italian wines, always look for the DOC label or the DOCG label. that's the only way to be sure u're really drinking an italian wine.
concerning barolo, each bottle MUST have a DOCG label. if u don't find it, then it's a fake (and there are hundreds of fake italian wines out there).
DOC and DOCG labels meaning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denominazione_di_origine_controllata

i'm telling u this coz u told me u bought a bottle of barolo for 2o£, wich is a really low price. here in italy a bottle of barolo goes from 30 (poorest quality) to 250 (riserva) euros. and outside italy the cost of a bottle should be pretty much higher, so check the label ;)

I looked at the mail above and was going to comment but…maybe not.

Sometimes it is better to let other people have their say and not always be the one involved in the conversation….

:shock: why??
there's no conversation if nobody replies, mate and i post in this thread just to "stimulate" the conversation, so post your thoughts.... also because if we don't get back to football soon, Don is gonna make us an offer we can't refuse..... if u know what i mean :mrgreen:8-[

Not been able to post on this thread in so long but I found time :)

and this thread is full of british posters who really understand football like Satty

Thanks man :)

With regards to the Wine talk I have no idea what you are actually talking about :P I can just wait until the day that I can legally drink Italian wine :lol:

The team that has infuriated me the most this season has to be Lazio. It's great as a Roma fan to see them really struggle, but as an observer who admires the Italian game it is just pitiful.

Last season they were excellent. It is true that they league wasn't at it's strongest last year, so 4th would have been difficult to achieve but Europe still may have been attainable.

However, there performances have been genuinely bad. Excluding the Madrid match, Lazio have been horrendous. Their football has been nothing like last season's and neither have the results. We've seen this so many times before though - Real Betis, Vigo etc. The teams don't have the squad with enough depth in the CL - or money for a squad with good depth - and put almost maximum effort in the CL, and see results trail off horrendously in the league - Lazio should have learnt :roll:

There are a few possible reasons for this and I am going to examine them now. Firstly, their pre-season. The club just got it wrong. The team have been visibly shattered since the first whistle and that is of course a reason for the lack of form. People are blaming Mr.Rossi and I personally laugh at them. To be honest if the Lazio board were crazy enough to sack the coach that made them play elegant football and actually get them a CL spot for the first time in more than a few years I would be very happy. That, in my opinion would make Lazio crumble somewhat and I can foresee some form of Marseille-type situation whereby Manager's can't even have a half-decent stint at a job before getting the sack :( I do not what side to be on :lol:

A team that I am very fond of is Napoli :D Not only is their history (and a certain past player) respectable, but so is their present and future. Eduardo Reja has built a team that has propelled from Serie C1 to A :) Not only that but Napoli - and in particular one of my favourite players in the world, Lavezzi - have not been inhibited or overawed in any way and have delighted the crowds with some of the style in which they play football :)

As mentioned before, I love watching Lavezzi :) What a player and is proving it in one of the toughest leagues in the world. To be honest, the Lavezzi-Maradona comparison is unfounded and Messi is the only one that genuinely plays like Diego in my eyes ;) However, I see Lavezzi as a "more creative Tevez". They are both physically and mentally very strong and work very hard for the team. I think that Tevez is the better shooter, whilst Lavezzi is the better passer and has better vision ;) Anywho, I have a treat to you lot because I like Napoli so much :)

I like Napoli (even though I am a Roma fan :p) so much I made some stats for you :) Hope you like them and I certainly appreciate comments :)

lavezziuv2.png

wgarganoop4.png
[/LEFT]

Last edited:

Does anyone know where I can find a high quality video of Milan - Man Utd 3-0? I'm trying to compile a set of my favourite Milan games right now. Oh, Germany 0-2 Italy as well if anyone's seen it.

Back
Top Bottom