Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2009/10 Season

Thank you Genoa, Inter back at no.1... it was only a matter of time I suppose. The view's great from up here :D

Iaquinta got screwed!

Here we go again... :ROLL:

Inter might bore me to death every week but thank god for the quality of football that the other sides provide.

Last edited:

yeah that was a good game, always nice to see crespo score. but man do genoa need to work on their set piece defending, there were 2 or 3 free headers before trezeguet put that away. poor guys were asking for it.

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2009/September/25/serie-a-set-for-american-revolution/

looks like theres gonna be some foreign ownership in italy..25 million pounds doesnt seem like much for a football club when you see some of the pricetags in england. it is bari though i suppose.

While i was watching the game yesterday, the commentator started to name the injury list of juventus I was completely stunned at how many players they have out and they still have a bench with solutions... :SHOCK:

Still neither Inter or Juve is isolated in the 1st spot so no worries.

Iaquinta got screwed!

Here we go again... :ROLL:

Inter might bore me to death every week but thank god for the quality of football that the other sides provide.

what, Inter's boring because we don't let in 2 goals easily :LOL: If Ferrara wanted to win that game, he should brough in Trezegoal much earlier for Amauri... This is the same Amauri Italy is pinning their hopes on for the WC2010 :ROLL: And all this moaning about referees... Why wasn't Melo given a 2nd yellow after he was clearly insulted the referee? Criscito got a straight red card and he was talking under his breath at the time :LOL:

You know, I can't recall a season where so many serie a teams were in crisis mode so early on in the championship. Atalanta are winless, Palermo and Lazio are dropping points after a promising start to the campaign, Milan are just painful too to watch, Napoli seem to have lost that 'fight' mentality that won them plaudits aplenty since their promotion in 2007, Roma are struggling financially, Catania haven't yet switched on... Right now would anyone attempt to predict how the table will look 8 months from now? Even from 3rd spot downwards, it's impossible I think. But luckily I have my crystal ball out so here goes:

1. Inter
2. Juventus
3. Fiorentina (I predict will get dumped out of the UCL early on in the group stages)
4. Genoa
5. Roma
6. Udinese
7. Sampdoria
8. Milan
9. Palermo (depends on Liverani and Miccoli, if both can stay injury free for a good chunk of the season, then I expect a 6th position finish)
10.Cagliari
11.Parma
12.Lazio (too many distractions)
13.Chievo
14.Napoli
15.Bari
16.Catania
17.Atalanta
18.Bologna
19.Siena
20.Livorno

I also predict there won't be much of a points difference between 3rd and 4th spot, 5th and 12th.

Milan are steps away from rock bottom. Losing to mediocre and trashed by big teams and barely winning to small ones. Berlusconi is expecting an unexperienced coach to do a job that a mastermind like Ancelotti barely did with Kaka at his disposal. I mean look at Carlo now, yet to even draw a match at Chelsea.

I think Milan should start playing with side midfielders. The fullbacks who are supposed to cover the width of the team have been very very normal and many mistakes in defending, especially Jankulovski. Plus, playing SMF's will add pace to Milan especially Abate who you can see adds a spark everytime he enters and I think should star starting games. I mean the transition from mid to attack in Milan is as slow as it can be. Build up play is there but there is no speed in it. Huntelaar is not getting support and Pato is not helping him. It also gives Pirlo more options in passing and we got options like Abate, Antonini(yet to play a game), Jankulovski(who should never play LB again) and I guess Ronalaldinho.

Last edited:

what, Inter's boring because we don't let in 2 goals easily :LOL: If Ferrara wanted to win that game, he should brough in Trezegoal much earlier for Amauri... This is the same Amauri Italy is pinning their hopes on for the WC2010 :ROLL: And all this moaning about referees... Why wasn't Melo given a 2nd yellow after he was clearly insulted the referee? Criscito got a straight red card and he was talking under his breath at the time :LOL:
Errr...no, Inter's boring because they play shit football, duh!

I didn't watch the whole match so I can't comment on what else you were talking about but I wouldn't trust your judgement on what happened in a Juve game anyway.

Errr...no, Inter's boring because they play shit football, duh!
Maybe you don't realize we have 5 new players in the starting 11 to your 2. Or maybe you didn't witness the beautifully worked out goals we've scored so far this season (even Milito's offside vs Napoli :APPLAUD:). And you're one to talk, since when do Juve play "entertaining" :LOL:

I didn't watch the whole match so I can't comment on what else you were talking about but I wouldn't trust your judgement on what happened in a Juve game anyway.
:LOL: that's too bad, I have zero bias against Juve. I think even lo zio will back me on this. Melo was mouthing off to the referee, Rooney style, for a good long while. a 2nd yellow be harsh but lets keep things consistent.

I think Milan should start playing with side midfielders. The fullbacks who are supposed to cover the width of the team have been very very normal and many mistakes in defending, especially Jankulovski. Plus, playing SMF's will add pace to Milan especially Abate who you can see adds a spark everytime he enters and I think should star starting games. I mean the transition from mid to attack in Milan is as slow as it can be. Build up play is there but there is no speed in it. Huntelaar is not getting support and Pato is not helping him. It also gives Pirlo more options in passing and we got options like Abate, Antonini(yet to play a game), Jankulovski(who should never play LB again) and I guess Ronalaldinho.
I think Pirlo will be too exposed in a 4-4-2, IMO he's not mobile enough.

rfU, I'm not a Juve fan... :CONFUSE:

who do you support then?

What about Iaquinta's goal incorrectly called offside, rfU?.......
what am i, Marcello Nicchi? Don't even remember goal, the game was that entertaining. Wasn't it right before Genoa's 2nd goal? And what about Trezeguets goal, wasn't he offside when Chellini headed the ball to him? Anyway, i see no conspiracy against Juve. But I will say this, Iaquinta has impressed since his Udinese days, his finishing and off the ball movement has improved immensely. I would like to see him Rocchi pair up with Rocchi playing more centrally and Iaquinta moving more freely.

Pazzini!!!! :D
the guy can't stop scoring :APPLAUD:

as for your your cassano question, neo, i don't know if lippi will eventually change his mind.. but i have to admit marcello is loosing my respect for the way he's handling this situation.... and i'm a huge fan of lippi.
PLF said:
Superman!!
I can't believe Italians didn't give him this nickname!!
:D
i guess we italians aren't much into the whole nickname giving thing. anyhow superman sounds appropriate ;)

Dafrenz said:
Anyone, I'd like to hear your impressions on a few VERY promising (imho) youngsters (I'll pass on on Santon and Candreva which are already quite renown): Guido Marilungo, Silvano Raggio Garibaldi, Stephan El Shaarawi, Lorenzo Ariaudo, Vincenzo Fiorillo, Cristian Pasquato, Fabio Sciacca.
first of, wellcome to the serie a thread, dafrenz :))
that marilungo is a very interesting prospect... and i'm not just talking about the goals he scored... it's the way he moves on the pitch that really impressed me. Fiorillo too seems to be a very very promising kid. as for pasquato, i saw him playing just once (in a juve summer friendly last year) and i have to say i was simply stunned by him. him and fausto rossi (another juve youngster) were immense that day.... but of course it's just 1 match we're talking about, so i can't really express any sort of reliable opinions.

dom said:
What a monster Marchisio is turning into..
and the craziest thing is that i was right about him. :CONFUSE:
after watching him playing in a few matches, 2 or 3 years ago, i said this kid had something special. usually i'm crap at this kind of predictions, so marchisio's huge developement is even more impressive!

anyhow i couldn't watch any football in the last week.... my father had an accident with my brand new bike... he had a surgery (broken arm and wrist) and just went out of the hospital (while my beloved triumph is gone for good :CRY: )... so, between work and hospital, i had no free time at all....
did i miss anything good? :))

p.s. it looks like we just witnessed the first inter-juve argument of the season here! :DD

Hope your father is ok!

Well you missed a few good matches, genoa-juventus was excellent. Thing about Marchisio is that i've seen his growth entirely from a few primavera highlights to his first juve appearance in pre-season and then his first debut as a starter in Serie B against Napoli to see him turn into a fixed ficture in the juve line-up now. Great see a player develop like that.

The next Tardelli??? :P

But yeah, his game has improved dramatically since he played consistently during the later part of Juve's Serie B season. I suppose the learning spell at Empoli helped his development.

Juve 1-1 Bologna

Really dissapointed with the defence... Everyone in there seemed out of place and no one knew what they had to do. Pressure on the opposing team was barely non existent, midfield was instable, Amauri was shit all game..
Oh well, Bologna deserved it, they had been trying thei luck since the 1st goal so i really wasn't surprised with that last minute goal.
Back to the 2nd place then..

'Tis a shame, the best teams maintain concentration and see out games when they have a 1-0 lead, Juve, once again, failed to hold onto that one goal lead.

'Tis a shame, the best teams maintain concentration and see out games when they have a 1-0 lead, Juve, once again, failed to hold onto that one goal lead.

Aboutreika18, you say in italy you're neutral but your reaction to Juve's draw with Bologna suggests your partial to Juve. Or maybe anti-Inter?

Oh, did anyone read what Mou said about Del Neri after yesterdays game? I'd like to think he said it to protect Santon and other players but it's perhaps even more likely that he's too much of a sore loser at times :LOL: Would be nice for him to show some class and respect to his peers.

And slightly off topic but did anyone see goal.com's headline regarding the Inter-Samp match: "Inter Crushed by Samp". :LOL: like we lost 4-0. Then there was the: "Why Does Inter Coach Jose Mourinho Go Out Of His Way To Upset People?", article earlier in the week. Before that there was this prediction for the 09/10 season:

Best Attacker: Amauri (Juventus)

Golden Boot: Amauri (Juventus)

Champions League Outlook: Inter (Quarter Final), Juventus (Final), Milan (Last 16), Fiorentina (Group Stage)

And this from midway last season:

2008/09 Serie A Predictions

Scudetto Winners: Milan

Champions League qualifiers: Milan, Inter, Juventus, Roma

Coppa Italia Winners: Roma

Best Goalkeeper: Julio Cesar (Inter)

Best Defender: Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus)

Best Midfielder: Andrea Pirlo (Milan)

Best Attacker: Alessandro Del Piero (Juventus)

Best Summer Signing: Mathieu Flamini (Milan)

Worst Summer Signing: John Arne Riise (Roma)

Golden Boot: Alessandro Del Piero (Juventus)

Best Youngster (Under-21): Marek Hamsik (Napoli)

Player of the Year: Andrea Pirlo (Milan)

Coach of the Year: Carlo Ancelotti (Milan)

:LOL: maybe i'm imagining things, I dunno, but I feel insulted.

Aboutreika18, you say in italy you're neutral but your reaction to Juve's draw with Bologna suggests your partial to Juve. Or maybe anti-Inter
Sorry if I come across that way, I don't really hate Inter, maybe some of their players, such as Balotelli and Materazzi, but I'm also a big fan of Zanetti, Cambiasso, Stankovic etc.

My attitude towards Inter may seem negative but it's more to do with the fact that they haven't been challenged enough in recent seasons IMO.

The only way I'm really partial to Juve is because my brother is a Juve fan and I usually enjoy watching Juve matches when Del Piero is playing (such as the two games against Real Madrid last season) but other than that, and the fact I'd like to see them challenge Inter so that we have an interesting title race, I'm impartial to Juve.

How bad are Milan? Bari should of won that game. Sad to see what a player Ronaldinho has become? His finished now.

I look at this Milan side and I fail to see how Gourcuff couldnt of made it at Milan.

rfu said:
Oh, did anyone read what Mou said about Del Neri after yesterdays game? I'd like to think he said it to protect Santon and other players but it's perhaps even more likely that he's too much of a sore loser at times Would be nice for him to show some class and respect to his peers.

infact he is a very sore loser.... still fun nevertheless. :P

liger05 said:
How bad are Milan? Bari should of won that game.

mario sconcerti (italian journalist) made a very good analisys of milan situation yesterday. this team need a complete rebuilding. it's not even a matter of personnel, as most of their starters would play much better in different teams... the problem is they can't play together anymore. it's not the players, is the team as a whole that can't deliver anymore.
bari is one of the poorests teams in serie a, yet yesterday, like u said, they deserved to win. it's a decent team wich plays football. milan instead doesn't play football anymore (and it's been a while now), because milan isn't a "team" anymore.
i said it before the beginning of the season. the rossoneri need a total humiliation this season. that's the only way to force the board to a change.

on a different note, de laurentis (napoli owner) fired marino. this is by far the stupidest move in european football in the last 10 years.... inter giving cannavaro to juve for free, real madrid not renewing makelele's contract, wenger not renewing flamini's contract.... none of theese moves gets even close to this one, in terms of stupidity. and napoli's president gives a new dimension and meaning to the word "clueless". he makes zamparini look like a genius.
now dozens of clubs around europe are gonna kill each others to sign marino.

dom said:
Hope your father is ok!
thanks buddy. his wrist was quite messed up, but the operation was successful and the doctors say he should be ok in 1\2 months..... i wish i could say the same about my moto. :(

Last edited:

Sorry if I come across that way
Don't be, I wouldn't like Inter much either if I wasn't a fan of 12 years :APPLAUD: And it's always good to have a competitive serie A.

on a different note, de laurentis (napoli owner) fired marino. this is by far the stupidest move in european football in the last 10 years.... inter giving cannavaro to juve for free
I always here this... "Inter should've never given Cannavaro away for free"... I defended this decision because at the time we had an in form and younger Cordoba and we certainly couldn't pair two midget CBs in central defence. We simply couldn't hold onto both and so we opted for Cordoba who has performed admirably over the years, not at the level of Cannavaro, but how were we to know that?

As for Marino (for those who don't know, Napoli's sporting director), he may have brought Hamsik, Lavezzi and Santacroce but what else? Consider how much Napoli have spent over the last 2 seasons and what has Marino brought to Napoli... Rinaudo, Aronica, Denis, Zalayeta, Zuniga... There has been very little progress over the years, in fact, Napoli have taken several steps back... Now Marino is nowhere near as bad as Marco Branca, but I think he's taken the club as far as he can. A change in policy and approach among the management far ups might be just Napoli need to turn their season around. That and a proper left back :PIG:

As for Marino (for those who don't know, Napoli's sporting director), he may have brought Hamsik, Lavezzi and Santacroce but what else? Consider how much Napoli have spent over the last 2 seasons and what has Marino brought to Napoli... Rinaudo, Aronica, Denis, Zalayeta, Zuniga... There has been very little progress over the years, in fact, Napoli have taken several steps back... Now Marino is nowhere near as bad as Marco Branca, but I think he's taken the club as far as he can. A change in policy and approach among the management far ups might be just Napoli need to turn their season around. That and a proper left back :PIG:

by reading that, i realise a little intro to marino is needed :P
months ago, abhi asked me how come napoli had such an ability to find unknown talents around the globe... that was my reply...

there are just 3 sport directors in europe who are better than ramon rodriguez (aka "monchi")...2 of them are italians..... one of those 2 legends (that's really the only word that fits in) is Pierpaolo Marino.
Pierpaolo Marino and Pantaleo Corvino are for sports directors, what maradona and pelè were for football players: GODS.

it would take one entire day to tell u about all the stars Marino signed in his carreer (when they weren't stars yet, of course)....
just to give u an idea....
the napoli team that won 2 scudetti was one of his creatures (i'm talking about maradona's napoli). careca, alemao, bagni, giordano..... were all his signings

before napoli there was Pescara (allegri, esposito, and a young brazilian kid called dunga!)
then there was the great experience with dino viola's roma.

oh and shall we talk about his experience at udinese? bierhoff, amoroso, di natale, pizarro, iaquinta......

i tell u, if zamparini asked me "ok ben who would u rather me to get? kakà, messi, pirlo, fabregas or pierpaolo marino?
i would pick marino with no hesitations..... and i'm serious. with that God on your side, your future is fu**ing guarranteed!

so, long story short, marino isn't just "not as bad as branca".... he's the very best u can find in the world, speaking of team directors. :))

he built napoli from scratch. when de laurentis bought napoli, after the bankrupt, the club had no training facilities, no personnel (and by personnel i mean they didn't even have a gardener to take care of the san paolo pitch). Napoli as a football club and as a company "died" with the bankrupt... they lost everything. marino took care of every single aspect of the club (financial aspects, logistic aspects and technical aspects). he rebuilt the club scouting network and was the only responsible of one of the most unbelievable comebacks in european football.... just 5 years ago napoli was playing in serie c (the equivalent of the british league one)..... in just 5 years brought napoli back where it belongs, and built one of the most entertaining and successful clubs in italy.
hamsik, lavezzi, santacroce, gargano, mannini... they were "nobodies" when he bought them. how many clubs in europe can claim to have discovered so many unknown talents in the last 3 years??
and look at the amazing squad he built this season...zuniga, campagnaro, maggio, datolo, cigarini, quagliarella.... so many top notch signings, it's just insane.

of course having so many new players, it takes some time to "gel" them and turn this amazing roster into a proper football team.... but obviously that's not marino's responsability.... he's not the coach.

milan sold kaka this season. some might say it was a wise move, some might say it wasn't.... but one thing is for sure: kaka didn't leave for free and milan got a huge load of money.
by firing marino, de laurentis is giving away (for free) an asset wich is much more important than all the kakas, the ronaldos the messis u can imagine.... and unless he's gonna sign corvino or monchi (wich is extremely unlikely), there's no way he'll find a better sporting director than pierpaolo marino. :((

Last edited:

uhm, i like Marotta a lot too! :D

btw, I don't know if it's thanks to the not moving Milan midfield, but in the last game Bari extremely impressed me with his ball moving skills! :O Milan was crushed by Bari, even if it ended 0-0...

And yes, just look at the Genoa-Juventus match and you'll realize what Marchisio has become... and to say I still didn't address him as a top player (even though I recognized him as a good one).

about Marilungo... that's what I love about him too. He seems to be perfectly aware of what's the right thing to do at every moment. And it's goal tally is quite nice too! Reminds me a lot of Milito... which i consider one of the strongest strikers actually.

marotta is indeed another world class manager....but while marotta is one of the best sporting directors in europe today (or in the last decade, if u prefere), marino is one of the greatests of the last 50 years. that's the difference between being a top class director and a legend.

yesterday evening i got a chance view the press conferences of benitez and prandelli... it was really nice to hear them complimenting each others... it wasn't just "being polite and politically correct".... by the things they said about each others u can clearely realise they really think what they said.
nice fellas :))

rafa's italian is so fluent it's just ridiculous... so much better than his english... u almost can't tell if he's italian or spanish.

concerning the game, after hearing prandelli's words, i have a very bad feeling for the viola tonite

What did they say Ben?

Only read that Prandelli liked the way Rafa organized the team and the dressing room. Rafa said "Thank you, although it is the kit man who organises the dressing room, not me." :P

Back
Top Bottom