(PODCAST) The Evo-Web Interviews

Awesome first half of the podcast!! So much insights and retro stuff. I really liked that a lot!!
Gives a very good look (and one I could see representing myself) at things In general.
I was thinking of sending that first part to Adam or officialpes!! It really is a good summary and I could think of that could help Konami.

Anyway... second part with the questions is next. Might safe that for the train ride tmw.!

But so far: brilliant stuff to listen to.
Btw: I like your intro approaches every time!! Keep it up @Chris Davies

And @Mr. Adams: you just know your stuff! Liked to listen to footunited as well.

Thumbs up for the both of you, football nuts!!

Ah one more thing! That part where @Chris Davies was talking to EA about what he wants to see in the future of football games...: man, that is so spot on!! Couldn’t have said it any better myself!! Thanks for that!!!

Football knowledge should win games, not lightning fast buttons presses!! Make that sticky! :D

Edit: and yes, Charles is a realist. You are too. I see no downer here!!
Similar stuff was said in the forums before! Guess that was you @Chris Davies

Edit2: the Victoria’s secret analogy fits perfectly for the mods some guys bring out for PC, in my head! :)

Edit3: I could go on. For example that 2-10 stats scale! Makes perfect sense in different regards, imo!!

Edit4: and I do go on, sorry. ;)
Man, when I think of a roundtable with you guys, @Matt10 , @incas36 , Adam, some other “community pillars” (IMO), what a debate that would be. And then invite one from Konami. Gosh. Future would look even brighter if this would come true.
Same time I’m a fan of a company following their own agenda and separating from the competitor with innovative gaming (different approach than the other game) and their own DNA!!

Last edited:
Also just listened and really enjoyed myself, Charles is a much better interview than his companion from the Footy United podcast.

I have to join in the praise here, it was an exellent episode:WORSHIP:

Not just the pure gaming stuff, which was brilliant in itself and somewhat a history lesson, it was also great stuff to hear about Charles' mission to be able to play the PES games when they weren't available in the US. Buying a European TV and then a Playstation through some friend in Spain plus some other gadget - that's dedication for ya! Especially at that time without ebay and the like.

It also puts the lack of patience and know how regarding game play and option files/editing of the newer gamer generation into quite a perspective.

Lastly, in regards to Chris' doubts concerning the popularity of the podcast, I say please keep 'em comming:PRAY: They are such a pleasure to listen to and you're a very good host! Plus the intro music alone keeps me coming back.
Also, funny stuff with the blooper intro you put at the end; I got there because I was in the middle of a game on the 2020 demo when the pod ended.

Oh and while I remember, a question for Charles, if you're still lurking: on the footyunited website the episodes start from #7 or something, probably because it was called pesunited before that. But is there any way you could upload those first episodes? I'd love to hear how it all started and how the whole 2014 E3 - leaked demo - demo - full game debacle went down!

I have to join in the praise here, it was an exellent episode:WORSHIP:

Not just the pure gaming stuff, which was brilliant in itself and somewhat a history lesson, it was also great stuff to hear about Charles' mission to be able to play the PES games when they weren't available in the US. Buying a European TV and then a Playstation through some friend in Spain plus some other gadget - that's dedication for ya! Especially at that time without ebay and the like.

It also puts the lack of patience and know how regarding game play and option files/editing of the newer gamer generation into quite a perspective.

Lastly, in regards to Chris' doubts concerning the popularity of the podcast, I say please keep 'em comming:PRAY: They are such a pleasure to listen to and you're a very good host! Plus the intro music alone keeps me coming back.
Also, funny stuff with the blooper intro you put at the end; I got there because I was in the middle of a game on the 2020 demo when the pod ended.

Oh and while I remember, a question for Charles, if you're still lurking: on the footyunited website the episodes start from #7 or something, probably because it was called pesunited before that. But is there any way you could upload those first episodes? I'd love to hear how it all started and how the whole 2014 E3 - leaked demo - demo - full game debacle went down!

I am always lurking! You are spot on as to why those episodes are not on the site. The PES United episodes also happened when we used a different hosting service. I've wanted to go back and post them, honestly they are hilarious as they included our good friend Charlie Ward, who is a writer for Universal Studios in LA and big PES fan. At this point they only live on my old computer that does not boot on its own. I will try to pull them off and put them on the site. If I am successful I'll post and tag you on here. Thanks for your interest, they are some of my fav epidodes and I need to listen to them again myself! Cheers.

See Chris, there's no way you can stop these pods now.
It doesn't matter if the only ones listening to these it's us right here on this thread. It's still worth it!
I know it's a lot of work and you probably get discouraged when you see how many plays it gets, but still... quality over quantity.

See Chris, there's no way you can stop these pods now.
It doesn't matter if the only ones listening to these it's us right here on this thread. It's still worth it!
I know it's a lot of work and you probably get discouraged when you see how many plays it gets, but still... quality over quantity.
Oh I'm definitely finishing up series one, don't worry. The guys who took the time out of their schedules to speak to me deserve that, and you guys deserve to hear them. Every chat I had was fantastic.

There's four more to go, including @jaygrim who barely remembers what PES stands for, @MafiaMurderBag whose retro PES playthroughs are sensationally presented, @PRO_TOO who's the PES world's Mr. Brightside (turns out he was right, 2020 is great) and @Flipper the Priest who I spoke to for three hours and we go from laughing about PES to talking about football culture's dark side.

So far there have been 800 listens across all the episodes - if it gets to 1,000 I'll probably end up doing a second run after PES 2020 releases.

This has probably been my favorite episode yet. Just 2 old PES gunslingers shooting the breeze while conveying a wholesome passion and enthusiasm. Great to have you back Chris, This is your true calling. I miss the old Footy United Podcasts too, Hopefully Charles resurrects it someday.

You know a show is great when your beaming with pride because the host & guest telepathically share the exact same views and sentiments as the listener.

Some of my highlights Charles touched upon:

• Games have become over complicated and that sometimes they should keep it simple. Amen to that, It's getting kind of obnoxious now not to mention cluttered & complex menus in games nowadays too.
  • Man-C**** I wish i didn't hear that at my desk at work - Really had to fight to keep the laughter in. Respect to the ambition of trolls in primitive times.
  • The way the classic games mimicked the pressure and stress of real life football was magic. Sounds silly to some but you're right. This is exactly one of the reasons why there's a Retro PES community. The older games conveyed this sense diversity in occasion better than current football games.
  • PES moments. Some of us call it PES magic, But the sentiment is the same. This game was unmatched in allowing matches to tell stories, To conjure up digital footballing memories.
  • Patching culture "makes me afraid to play games!" Great term, It coincides with the games as a service dynamic we're all unknowingly participating in. The product you actually pay for and agree to purchase as a consumer; the direction you sign up for as a customer or a fan, isn't always going to end up what you initially consented to experiencing. Then you combine that with a digital future and the preservation of games having content that's removed or inaccessible due to servers going down like the DLC to past PES & FIFA games, Well, that's just sad.

Oh I'm definitely finishing up series one, don't worry. The guys who took the time out of their schedules to speak to me deserve that, and you guys deserve to hear them. Every chat I had was fantastic.

There's four more to go, including @jaygrim who barely remembers what PES stands for, @MafiaMurderBag whose retro PES playthroughs are sensationally presented, @PRO_TOO who's the PES world's Mr. Brightside (turns out he was right, 2020 is great) and @Flipper the Priest who I spoke to for three hours and we go from laughing about PES to talking about football culture's dark side.

So far there have been 800 listens across all the episodes - if it gets to 1,000 I'll probably end up doing a second run after PES 2020 releases.

People Entering Soccer.

I am always lurking! You are spot on as to why those episodes are not on the site. The PES United episodes also happened when we used a different hosting service. I've wanted to go back and post them, honestly they are hilarious as they included our good friend Charlie Ward, who is a writer for Universal Studios in LA and big PES fan. At this point they only live on my old computer that does not boot on its own. I will try to pull them off and put them on the site. If I am successful I'll post and tag you on here. Thanks for your interest, they are some of my fav epidodes and I need to listen to them again myself! Cheers.

Cheers Charles, can't wait to hear those episodes including what this mystical Charlie Ward is all about (you mentioned him a couple of times on the podcast I think) if you manage to rescue the episodes.
I also hope you return on the Evo-web pod to spill your guts on the demo and/or final game. Would be very interesting to hear your take on it as a lot of people here (including myself) really like the demo.

Brilliant podcast...RAW, honest and took me down memory lane throughout.
I agree that this watered down gameplay generation is cyclical.
Yes online gaming, myclub, eSports will only grow but I feel people will get sick of the monotonous nature of the games and will want the hardcore elements back.
What goes up must come down.
PES 2020 I hope will go somewhat to reignite this, and perhaps bring more of the grass root gamers back into the fold.

Your podcast can only go one way, and that is up Chris (in terms of popularity, listens etc) so keep up the hard work if you are able to do so!

I haven't seen this site as vibrant in a long time.

I follow this forum for round about two years, most of the time not logged in, because I don’t feel I have pretty much to say what others can’t express way more precisely. But I am reading the discussions in here daily and of course I have listened to all episodes with a lot of fun.

So I just want to honor your work and I have to say I am very impressed how passionate you guys are and how deep you are into these games regarding tactics, gameplay and so on. You see things I would never see if you won’t mention them. I am really enjoying this.

So @Chris Davies , keep in mind that there are a lot of more people listening than writing here in this thread.
Perhaps you could spread the podcast via twitter, if you didn’t already?

Keep up the good work and Kudos to all of you!

Ok, ill be generous im in for a season 2 or whatever it will be called, but for sure for an X-mas edition this year while after the game released. A three way interview would be great, im forcing that. I want @B-Man i would love to be his tag team partner agains Chris. I just hope there will be no technical problems. And of course ill be drunk. Enjoy in advance.

Edit: and i want money

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom