PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

I'm sceptical as well pal,although a possibility with the One drive could be possible,import through the web.
But,it's not a game breaker for me,the Xbox is a stunning machine otherwise.
Just the other day I realised that I was a HDMI input to short on my telly.
I have three inputs, Apple TV,digital box,and my Xbox,so what to do with my PS3?
Switch cables all the time?
Buy a switch?
Nope,I use my HDMI input on my Xbox,and connect my PS3 through there.
Genius!
Sorry for off topic

Ahah Rock, that´s when I realise how good this game must be. I don´t have anything patched too, but I still play the game over and over again. I just changed the club names with a keyboard, set the rivals for each team and I´m set to go.
Now I found myself enjoying manual pass in TP, 15 mins. Setting tactics for each opponent is great. Too bad I usually get frustrated on the last game I play on each session. This morning I was playing against Marítimo and simply couldn´t do anything against them... That made me furious lol.

Ahah Rock, that´s when I realise how good this game must be. I don´t have anything patched too, but I still play the game over and over again. I just changed the club names with a keyboard, set the rivals for each team and I´m set to go.
Now I found myself enjoying manual pass in TP, 15 mins. Setting tactics for each opponent is great. Too bad I usually get frustrated on the last game I play on each session. This morning I was playing against Marítimo and simply couldn´t do anything against them... That made me furious lol.
Ha ha,yeah Maritimo gave me see headache to mate:)
I usually connect my Xbox via my W10 on my PC and do my editing that way to.
Saves loads of time
I've gone from 20 Min To 15 to,think 20 Min games are a bit off on this one,since CPU shooting is to sharp,and I get more realistic stats on 15 Min To
TP and manual here to,works great

Waiting for option files cripples me and begins to suck the fun out of the game as im always waiting for something more.... I cannot comprehend how people can persist in trying to change the AI and how they play all the time. It must be miserable booting up the game, over analysing every situation and changing this, that and the other to try and make it 'realistic'.

What im trying to say is, enjoy the game for what it is. You will find that there is more fun to be had, than there is chasing a rainbow.

Again, nobody wants perfection. I just want the CPU to react to the ball in the right situations. It's really that simple. There is no over-analysis, because it really is that simple. I've posted/tweeted video clips in which the CPU instantly retreats despite losing a ball to a 50/50 situation...inside my box.

Not perfection. Logical decision making.

Nobody said the game is perfect either. We repeat in almost every post of praise that there are important flaws. It's more something along the lines of enjoy the good rather than try to squeeze the bad out of every. single. game.

I know it's not you, and I actually LOVE what you do for both of Fifa and Pes every year, but sometimes the negativity from others is a bit high and quite frankly, not deserved from the game.

Are there any guides about for this game?

I haven't played PES for a long time so am very rusty on whats what.

Is triggering runs just LB and right stick? Is there another option where you control the running playas well?

Also defending controls, is there a button to just hang off rather than going in for a tackle? I know there is jockey but i seem to be all over the place using that.

Nobody said the game is perfect either. We repeat in almost every post of praise that there are important flaws. It's more something along the lines of enjoy the good rather than try to squeeze the bad out of every. single. game.

I know it's not you, and I actually LOVE what you do for both of Fifa and Pes every year, but sometimes the negativity from others is a bit high and quite frankly, not deserved from the game.

Hey, I understand that. I'm also one who posts about the good. The problem is people see good vs bad in every conversation, when in fact it's constructive vs not constructive. That's the difference that results in this constant piling on of negativity, or rather, perceived negativity.

I definitely do not think anyone has said the game is perfect, that wasn't what I said. I want to make it clear that when i see posts saying "there is no perfect game", "there is no chance of a perfect game"...well, stop saying that - noone is asking for a perfect game. Perfection is relative to the individual's perception anyways, so what good does that do?

All I'm asking for is the very basic fundamental of ball awareness, relative to its location. That's the base to go from.

Regardless, I'm making progress with sorting out the lines. KONAMI place the default formations in an advanced position from the get go, which is not how any coach sets up their tactical board - and which is why I believe there is so much space in this game. Modifying these positions is making the game compress and decompress much better. It's just unfortunate that it would have to be done for every team in edit mode. Yet again, another nod for the gameplay customization campaign.

Are there any guides about for this game?

I haven't played PES for a long time so am very rusty on whats what.

Is triggering runs just LB and right stick? Is there another option where you control the running playas well?

Also defending controls, is there a button to just hang off rather than going in for a tackle? I know there is jockey but i seem to be all over the place using that.
Check the online manual,and I use Pesmastery for tips on Def and offense

I definitely do not think anyone has said the game is perfect, that wasn't what I said. I want to make it clear that when i see posts saying "there is no perfect game", "there is no chance of a perfect game"...well, stop saying that - noone is asking for a perfect game. Perfection is relative to the individual's perception anyways, so what good does that do?

I'll just answer to this since we are on the same line with the rest of what you're saying.

When I personally say "there is no perfect game" or something along this lines, other than stating the trivial truth, to me it's just a way to say that in front of Pes 2018, one should change what he could (like you do), accept the game as it is for what you can't, and ultimately enjoy what is a flawed soccer experience for it's good features.

This doesn't mean that constructive criticism like yours isn't welcome, or that you can't say that cpu is flawed, and so on. It does mean to me, that if you come here just to say neat, impossible to discuss stuff like "game is broken", "this shit is unplayable", "that's not how real soccer works" and so on, you probably had unrealistic expectations that neither Pes nor Fifa could actually satisfy.

Hey, I understand that. I'm also one who posts about the good. The problem is people see good vs bad in every conversation, when in fact it's constructive vs not constructive. That's the difference that results in this constant piling on of negativity, or rather, perceived negativity.

All I'm asking for is the very basic fundamental of ball awareness, relative to its location. That's the base to go from.

Regardless, I'm making progress with sorting out the lines. KONAMI place the default formations in an advanced position from the get go, which is not how any coach sets up their tactical board - and which is why I believe there is so much space in this game. Modifying these positions is making the game compress and decompress much better. It's just unfortunate that it would have to be done for every team in edit mode. Yet again, another nod for the gameplay customization campaign.
Sorry for being lazy,have you published any of those findings,or is it just a work in progress

Work in progress of course :)

Ha ha noted,you'll be finished in May then?
Appriciate the post Matt will look at the vids.
Good job as always.
Quick question,a bit off topic,sorry mods.
How far did you come with PES 15?
I feel that it's a game with loads of potential under the hood,and playing it on and off.

edit: looks really tight in your gameplay vids,very goid,should have been more thorough in my editing,did set the teams up tight,but not in your level
Nicely done
Maybe two controllers can be a quick fix in ML.

Last edited:
After installing that FBNZ option file I started the league over with Liverpool and had much better luck, winning most games. I am back to struggling now, but still feel that the game is starting to click. I have been playing top player, manual passing in 12 minute matches, I'll be moving it up to 15 and check how that goes.
Right now the surgical precision of any AI team is what bothers me most, complete with strings of impeccable back heel passes.

Started playing with a few teams lower down in the Premier League and had some really good, fast paced Premier League style games. Had a incredibly tight 1-1 draw against Watford, lost 1-0 to Everton and just beat Brighton 2-1 playing as Southampton. The games feel scrappy and having defence / attack setting set to automatic seems to really help the team move up the field. I've always done it manually but it seems to work a lot better so far in this game, felt like my counterattacks or periods of pressure were working well.

Still working through my own option file too to get everything working, really can't stand seeing Chelsea line up with Willian and Hazard at wingbacks or Arsenal with Sanchez at left wing back as well. They should have introduced a LWB and RWB position in this game but we'll figure it out with editing!

Also made great use of the ball shielding for a goal against Brighton earlier as well (have also had to put the targeting guide back on for advanced shooting because it feels very different to the last game, just getting used to it at the moment!)

Again, nobody wants perfection. I just want the CPU to react to the ball in the right situations. It's really that simple. There is no over-analysis, because it really is that simple. I've posted/tweeted video clips in which the CPU instantly retreats despite losing a ball to a 50/50 situation...inside my box.

Not perfection. Logical decision making.

Matt, sorry if i seem to be picking on you, that is not the intention. I'm well aware of the fact that you are a blessing for this community.

However (there is Always an however, isn't it?) i do not agree with the above post and certainly not with the last statement.

PES is trying to emulate football.
Is football about logical decision making? For 90% it is.

But if football would only be about logical decision making there would not have been a Cruijf, a Pele, a Maradonna, a Van Basten, a Matt Letissier. Genius is not about logical decision making. Error neither.

This decision started because i mentioned Dortmund's defending against Real Madrid. Be honest, let's suppose that somebody at Konami would be able to emulate that match perfectly and post that clip on the internet. What would your reaction be?

[QUOTE="tomj
Also made great use of the ball shielding for a goal against Brighton earlier as well (have also had to put the targeting guide back on for advanced shooting because it feels very different to the last game, just getting used to it at the moment!)

[/QUOTE]

Fantastic goal! I love the shielding, the quick turns and the dribbling in this years edition.

When i had two of my FIFA friends over to watch the Champions League last night, i set up PES2018 full manual and let them play (wish it was PSG vs Bayern but one of them hates Bayern, so... Juve). A couple of short instructions later... i was surprised how well i was being entertained! Enjoy!
edit: at 13:08... when Neymar gets the ball and starts his run into the box, this looked kinda similar to that scene from last night against Bayern.

Last edited:
Matt, sorry if i seem to be picking on you, that is not the intention. I'm well aware of the fact that you are a blessing for this community.

However (there is Always an however, isn't it?) i do not agree with the above post and certainly not with the last statement.

PES is trying to emulate football.
Is football about logical decision making? For 90% it is.

But if football would only be about logical decision making there would not have been a Cruijf, a Pele, a Maradonna, a Van Basten, a Matt Letissier. Genius is not about logical decision making. Error neither.

This decision started because i mentioned Dortmund's defending against Real Madrid. Be honest, let's suppose that somebody at Konami would be able to emulate that match perfectly and post that clip on the internet. What would your reaction be?

The frustrating thing about reading rationalisations like this is that it implies that football is a complete mystery to everyone not directly involved and we should just sit back and enjoy it, without trying to understand it. That games like BVB-Real are purely chaos with no reasoning, that they don’t stick out in football and are the norm that PES should aspire to rather than an unusually open and hectic game that PES should still be able to reflect if you play with that sort of gameplan.

If you played the BVB - RM match out, identically, in PES, and uploaded it, then my response would be based on whether every single game of PES plays out like every other game in football. If there’s variety in the game - the ability to play in a more or less defensively structured fashion, the ability to identify a weakness or a gap in the gameplan and then plug it - and it is properly balanced (so that those gaps in team tactics aren’t rife throughout the entire game rather than just affecting certain teams who are more susceptible than others), then that includes the possibility that some defenders will make mistakes more than others.

It’s wilfully obstructive to pretend not to understand the difference between analysing a PES defender or a defensive line making a genuine mistake, compared to a game’s defensive coding being off and making nearly every defender make that mistake again and again, regardless of what you do to try to stop it. One is deviation from an ideal defensive strategy because of player error, the other is the game not knowing what the correct strategy is. There’s an obvious difference, and Matt’s trying to sort out the latter.

When i had two of my FIFA friends over to watch the Champions League last night, i set up PES2018 full manual and let them play (wish it was PSG vs Bayern but one of them hates Bayer, so... Juve). A couple of short instructions later... i was surprised how well i was being entertained! Enjoy!

Really love the heading at 4:28 and the reaction.. lol

I should note for transparency that I don’t have the full game. I have the demo. Which is why I don’t have the full game. Until a patch comes out and certain posters whose opinions I value say that the defending is far more proactive, team-centric and organised, this will remain the case. I think certain aspects of the game are utterly stupendous, so I desperately hope for a fix to the defending of the flanks and the AI lofted through-balling. I doubt passing error will be addressed, so I at least want the absurd backheels to be cut down so the game isn’t rubbing my nose in the pass accuracy every match I play.

But this is all stuff that’s been covered at length. It just needs to be done now, both for people who are enjoying the game for what it is, and for people who aren’t.

I'm enjoying the game for what it is (still a damn good game, even with its flaws) but if they didn't annouce the fouls patch i would be much more angry with them.

So, happy that they are trying to fix it, but shocked how such a glaring issue was not addressed before release.

About CPU defense and aggressiveness i think All out defense tactic is way too effective when applied to AI teams and that leads to players losing balls or defending instantly backing off and leaving big empty spaces. That's why we have a lack of midfield play and it seems like the game flow reduces itself to attack vs defence. Will try to give feedback to @officialpes trying to explain that they need to tweak it. Even this, though, is something they should have balanced before release.

If you think i'm willfully obstructive, then all discussion between us ends because it has no sense. Then you are too biased to take me serious.
I don't blame you for it, but i do concede that your post hurts.

PS: it seems that your reply is about defending Matt. I don't understand that. It was not my intention to attack him. I'm well aware of the fact that he is a big asset for this community, i've even said soso in my post.

Last edited:
I'm a litle bit concerned about the fouls patch...
The game really needs it.
But since Adam wrote in one of his tweets that this will not be simple i'm afraid that patch will hurt more than that it will solve.
I frequntely see fouls that the ref (i.e. the ai) doesn't see, that might be a sign that something fundamental is wrong.

But since Adam wrote in one of his tweets that this will not be simple i'm afraid that patch will hurt more than that it will solve.
I frequntely see fouls that the ref (i.e. the ai) doesn't see, that might be a sign that something fundamental is wrong.
What bothers me is how they missed it,I think 17 had a good foul count,except no pens of course.
And yes I'm concerned as well.
At the same time,played my derby vs Juventus last night,and derbies draws plenty of fouls,so how about setting it that way from konamis side?

No need to be worried in my opinion, just wait and see.

So it seems like we are getting 3 brand new european partnership....What do you guys want?

I'm hoping for Napoli, Monaco and something like Celtic/Ajax/Zenit.....

That's what i'd like, but i have a feeling two of them will be Milan/Inter (completely useless since we already have faces and stadiums) and Arsenal.

I quote myself.....so fecking lazy by Konami....
Milan and Inter partnerships when we already have faces and stadiums.

Back
Top Bottom