PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Matt you're a well learned man when it comes to watching and analysing positioning and what not and you're a decent player yourself as I've watched vids of your gameplay. . .one point that I have to make is this. . since you've become pally with B man and co. you have watered down your critiscism of the game where beforehand you would jump in with strong points and put forward your own views. . .the same goes for B man. . .he was a huge critic of Pes last year but since he became privy to the gameplay and met Adam and co. he has become rather defensive of the views that they trot out, to an observer it looks a bit strange and I'm not trying to put you or B man down or cause an argument .. . it seems that once there is contact with Adam and Asim the critisicism dies down. . .it can't be a coincidence.. .it feels like a sycophantic cosy club where each of you are afraid to take your normal stance with the new game and I don't buy the 'you have to play the game to appreciate it' routine. What's going on with the usual analysis? Both of you can fuck me from a height after this post. .I don't give a fuck what anybody says about me either way but both of your attitudes have changed. . .there is no critiscism from either of you or the other guys on the usual podcast who were also privy to the gameplay. . .nothing ..could you explain please the toning down of the critiscim of the new game?.. . .I have pointed out things which I have found worrying in the gameplay on the beta but it's only my humble opinion but they are valid points . .dribbling is overpowered when using star players and there is no support from midfield when attacking. What's going on Matt? Are you happy with it and is B man happy with the game as it stands? Give us your honest opinion please.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Matt is just waiting to try the real demo or the full game before passing on the final judgement. Which is the wise thing to do (in my humble opinion).

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Matt is just waiting to try the real demo or the full game before passing on the final judgement. Which is the wise thing to do (in my humble opinion).

Hold on a second chuny. . .I wasn't asking you anything. . .You can't speak for Matt . . I asked Matt . not you ok

Hold on a second chuny. . .I wasn't asking you anything. . .You can't speak for Matt . . I asked Matt . not you ok

Why did you snap like that? I wasn't talk down to you, I was only saying what I think happened.
I didn't mean it in a disrespectful way at all. No idea why you took it like that, mate.

I'm sorry you felt it was personal. It wasn't. Or an attack. It wasn't that either. I was just trying to express why I think Matt took a few step backwards.

Last edited:
I understand where your coming from deco, can't verify 100% we are just assuming, but I hope those guys don't do an asim, cos before asim worked for Konami he used to be honest with the flaws of the game and towards the end he changed and everyone was disagreeing with him, obviously cos he wanted a job at Konami and he got, I'm assuming that's where your thinking maybe where those guys may be heading as well.

Yeah but Adam took the people who were already dear to him, to work FOR him at Konami (do the boring job).
They way you paint it out to be, it would seem as if he asked Konami to hire them because they were negative about the game and influential in the community. But he was already close to them BEFORE working with them.

Byan and Matt have always been critical about the game (in a very constructive way).

Matt you're a well learned man when it comes to watching and analysing positioning and what not and you're a decent player yourself as I've watched vids of your gameplay. . .one point that I have to make is this. . since you've become pally with B man and co. you have watered down your critiscism of the game where beforehand you would jump in with strong points and put forward your own views. . .the same goes for B man. . .he was a huge critic of Pes last year but since he became privy to the gameplay and met Adam and co. he has become rather defensive of the views that they trot out, to an observer it looks a bit strange and I'm not trying to put you or B man down or cause an argument .. . it seems that once there is contact with Adam and Asim the critisicism dies down. . .it can't be a coincidence.. .it feels like a sycophantic cosy club where each of you are afraid to take your normal stance with the new game and I don't buy the 'you have to play the game to appreciate it' routine. What's going on with the usual analysis? Both of you can fuck me from a height after this post. .I don't give a fuck what anybody says about me either way but both of your attitudes have changed. . .there is no critiscism from either of you or the other guys on the usual podcast who were also privy to the gameplay. . .nothing ..could you explain please the toning down of the critiscim of the new game?.. . .I have pointed out things which I have found worrying in the gameplay on the beta but it's only my humble opinion but they are valid points . .dribbling is overpowered when using star players and there is no support from midfield when attacking. What's going on Matt? Are you happy with it and is B man happy with the game as it stands? Give us your honest opinion please.

Hi, Deco, my friend. I can completely understand how this would be the thinking. It's such a tough, tough, balance. I have been vocal, the way you describe, for the better part of 10 years (give or take), and that really has helped me solidify credibility...for myself...within my niche. However, is it actually helping the game? That's the real question. What's the point of making all these attempts to be heard, when the manner in which they are presented is off-putting...for those that are intended.

What struck me as a need to "calibrate" my approach is that I needed to start to really focus on the perspective of the game devs, and marketing guys. I had to take time to understand where they are coming from, what they're up against, and how can it be best presented to where I am heard, which in turn allows the community to be heard. You know me, and my approach is much more heavy analysis than most. I'm a problem solver by nature, and my mind is always moving. It's probably why I'm a tech engineer as a day job. My opinion is just one...in the respect of a different opinion, or approach, and that is a fact that doesn't change, until more of those out of this niche are in agreement.

I will be honest, when I heard that the most consideration to be heard would be if I watch and play, that just turned me to focus in that route. If I spend all this time analyzing a game that isn't in my hands, and I've been clearly told I won't be heard, then what am I to do? It's a pride swallowing position to be put in. It's why I haven't been able to come up with content (well, part of it, anyway) recently. I posted way when the teaser appeared that I would be just optimistic this year. I'm still honestly cautiously optimistic, but optimistic nonetheless. I've stuck to that, much like Chuny has stuck to not watching videos (?), and it's been a lot easier for me.

Personally, PES is a very welcomed distraction for me right now. My newborn has health issues that is taking over my life, and it puts into perspective that if I am going to represent this hardcore community that I call home, I need to accept that it's going to take far less criticism to even remotely be heard. I'm still the same in respect to analysis, and I still watch every single video posted. I've got about 30 recordings of all my beta matches, and have been steadily going through them...even though I know it's old code.

My biggest concern right now is the unknown of whether or not PES 18 will calibrate itself based on the match length chosen. I do not want to play a 30 minute match, and have to experience it as if I was choosing a 10 minute match. This is what FIFA does, and I'm very afraid it is what PES will do. It's one of those areas that is often not part of the thinking, and if it is, noone ever says anything.

Lastly...PES 2017...I was right about most. I hated that. I desperately do not want to be right about PES 2018. I also do not want to spend 6-8 months trying to fix it.

Lastly, lastly, I will say that getting to know the FootyU guys has been great for me. I'm a loner by nature, I find myself very boring and I don't play many games. I am a goofball at work, because I have to be such a dad at home. I get those moments to relive nostalgia with the FootyU guys. I never played PES with anyone when I was younger. I was always playing on my own and analyzing how it could be better. Every single time. Experiencing the series alone like that was just how it was. I know 1000% I'm not the only one on this forum who felt the same way. Before I truly met the FootyU guys, I thought I was on my own, and part of these forums (Evo has been my PES home). Little did I realize that these guys also felt the same way I did, they experienced PES the same way I did. They went through the most hardcore adjustments to get the game playing the way I did. I had no idea.

You know I won't change, I'm just calibrating so we can be heard. I don't want to be frustrated from not being heard any longer. Getting all the "likes" on my posts and YouTube videos is so humbling, but I think it's now time to make a true impact - at least I hope that is what comes through.

PES 2014 for me has been the worst year if we have to talk about the net's reaction to the ball hitting it. If I recall correctly, in PES 2014 the nets almost looked like steel cages. PES 2011 ones on the other hand were a bit too loose if you ask me. On PC I used to use a "hybrid" goalnet (some files from PES 2011 and some from PES 2013) ant it would look better indeed.

I'd love to have a selector so we could make them either tight or loose (or random) at will, but if I ony have to choose a setting then I'd love them to be like they were in PES 6: pretty tight with the ball bouncing off them in a somehow believable fashion.
if ur gonna mention what u do, then id better say what i want here, football kingdom net behavior if u know what i mean xd, konami is japanese, and usually japanese imitate things pretty nicely, and yes nets were better in pes 6 era ofc

PES 2014 for me has been the worst year if we have to talk about the net's reaction to the ball hitting it. If I recall correctly, in PES 2014 the nets almost looked like steel cages. PES 2011 ones on the other hand were a bit too loose if you ask me. On PC I used to use a "hybrid" goalnet (some files from PES 2011 and some from PES 2013) ant it would look better indeed.

I'd love to have a selector so we could make them either tight or loose (or random) at will, but if I ony have to choose a setting then I'd love them to be like they were in PES 6: pretty tight with the ball bouncing off them in a somehow believable fashion.
if ur gonna mention what u do, then id better say what i want here, football kingdom net behavior if u know what i mean xd
Hi, Deco, my friend. I can completely understand how this would be the thinking. It's such a tough, tough, balance. I have been vocal, the way you describe, for the better part of 10 years (give or take), and that really has helped me solidify credibility...for myself...within my niche. However, is it actually helping the game? That's the real question. What's the point of making all these attempts to be heard, when the manner in which they are presented is off-putting...for those that are intended.

What struck me as a need to "calibrate" my approach is that I needed to start to really focus on the perspective of the game devs, and marketing guys. I had to take time to understand where they are coming from, what they're up against, and how can it be best presented to where I am heard, which in turn allows the community to be heard. You know me, and my approach is much more heavy analysis than most. I'm a problem solver by nature, and my mind is always moving. It's probably why I'm a tech engineer as a day job. My opinion is just one...in the respect of a different opinion, or approach, and that is a fact that doesn't change, until more of those out of this niche are in agreement.

I will be honest, when I heard that the most consideration to be heard would be if I watch and play, that just turned me to focus in that route. If I spend all this time analyzing a game that isn't in my hands, and I've been clearly told I won't be heard, then what am I to do? It's a pride swallowing position to be put in. It's why I haven't been able to come up with content (well, part of it, anyway) recently. I posted way when the teaser appeared that I would be just optimistic this year. I'm still honestly cautiously optimistic, but optimistic nonetheless. I've stuck to that, much like Chuny has stuck to not watching videos (?), and it's been a lot easier for me.

Personally, PES is a very welcomed distraction for me right now. My newborn has health issues that is taking over my life, and it puts into perspective that if I am going to represent this hardcore community that I call home, I need to accept that it's going to take far less criticism to even remotely be heard. I'm still the same in respect to analysis, and I still watch every single video posted. I've got about 30 recordings of all my beta matches, and have been steadily going through them...even though I know it's old code.

My biggest concern right now is the unknown of whether or not PES 18 will calibrate itself based on the match length chosen. I do not want to play a 30 minute match, and have to experience it as if I was choosing a 10 minute match. This is what FIFA does, and I'm very afraid it is what PES will do. It's one of those areas that is often not part of the thinking, and if it is, noone ever says anything.

Lastly...PES 2017...I was right about most. I hated that. I desperately do not want to be right about PES 2018. I also do not want to spend 6-8 months trying to fix it.

Lastly, lastly, I will say that getting to know the FootyU guys has been great for me. I'm a loner by nature, I find myself very boring and I don't play many games. I am a goofball at work, because I have to be such a dad at home. I get those moments to relive nostalgia with the FootyU guys. I never played PES with anyone when I was younger. I was always playing on my own and analyzing how it could be better. Every single time. Experiencing the series alone like that was just how it was. I know 1000% I'm not the only one on this forum who felt the same way. Before I truly met the FootyU guys, I thought I was on my own, and part of these forums (Evo has been my PES home). Little did I realize that these guys also felt the same way I did, they experienced PES the same way I did. They went through the most hardcore adjustments to get the game playing the way I did. I had no idea.

You know I won't change, I'm just calibrating so we can be heard. I don't want to be frustrated from not being heard any longer. Getting all the "likes" on my posts and YouTube videos is so humbling, but I think it's now time to make a true impact - at least I hope that is what comes through.
matt very sorry to hear that about your new born, hope he/she gets well soon enough

I'm very sorry to hear that your child is unwell Matt ...it puts things into perspective. . hopefully everything works out for you and your family. I understand everything in your post Matt. ....I admire your honesty and wish you well buddy.

@Matt10
Same from me...all the best.
I´m a dad of three....PES is one of my medias of distraction.

After the beta it´s hard to enjoy PES 2017.
Been continuing my ML yesterday...
It´s a good game but I really miss the slow pace and the fluid animations and all that.

Demo comes after gamescom yeah? Damn, that´s a long wait :P

Why did you snap like that? I wasn't talk down to you, I was only saying what I think happened.
I didn't mean it in a disrespectful way at all. No idea why you took it like that, mate.

I'm sorry you felt it was personal. It wasn't. Or an attack. It wasn't that either. I was just trying to express why I think Matt took a few step backwards.

Chuny that was a personal question to Matt and he replied with a very honest moving post.. .I wasn't snapping at you ok buddy.

Matt, sorry to hear this about your newborn. I really, really wish you and your newborn all the best from the bottom of my heart.

About the criticism, I see your point as it's pretty clear.
Trying to analyze things and to report them back to Konami in time for them to address them, knowing already that you'll get a door slammed in front of your face because "first you try it yourself then you can sugest a fix" (but then it would already be too late) isn't exactly a nice position to be in.

Luckily enough I'm also pretty optimistic about the game: I know it's not the right way things should be done, but I believe that the "too much space" issue could be solved by tweaking the teams' tactics (much like the FIFA gameplay could be vastly improved by fiddling with sliders).
There's a downside in that though: I fear that if you changed the "compactness" settings for all the teams (and added gegenpress tactic to some of them, the ones that in real life press harder than the others) you'd lose some variation, as many teams would play the same at least when defending.
Unfortunately, it looks like it's the only thing we could do if Konami refused to listen to you and to the other people pointing out the things that need to be fixed without having played the World Tour code.

Lastly, lastly, I will say that getting to know the FootyU guys has been great for me. I'm a loner by nature, I find myself very boring and I don't play many games. I am a goofball at work, because I have to be such a dad at home. I get those moments to relive nostalgia with the FootyU guys. I never played PES with anyone when I was younger. I was always playing on my own and analyzing how it could be better. Every single time. Experiencing the series alone like that was just how it was. I know 1000% I'm not the only one on this forum who felt the same way.
I've always been a loner too so I kinda get what you mean.
I used to play PES 4 and 5 with coursemates at the uni (and that period struck the perfect balance between my will of staying alone and the need of having some good people around) but I've always enjoyed playing alone more than playing against someone else.
Also, I would usually spend more time editing the game (texture guy here, so maybe what I previously said about gameplay won't make any sense to you) than the one I would spend playing it (so, again, I see your point in trying to make the game better because basically it's what I used to do by adding textures to missing teams and such).

Matt, I never got back to you a while back via PM, but it turns out I didn't have to.

Superb post, so eloquently put.

I think I might post my own journey with this franchise and how it plays a part in my life, however inconsequential it is in the grand scheme of things.
Please do so. :)
PES has played a role in the life of almost each of us as far as I can see, probably that's why many of them are so attached to it.

My name is Deco and I'm a Pesaholic . . .(crowd in room reply) Hi Deco . . ...it all started when I was 2 when all my friends were killed in a pram crash.. .etc etc.
PESaholic... I like it!
Also, only reading your post again I managed to read "PRAM crash". Brilliant! :LOL:

I thought 'plane crash' at first.

Last edited:
I must be honest by the end of the beta I was starting to hold defensive shape well and getting my back line to be more careful and had the midfield working harder.

I am shocked at how spoilt I was at pressure defending. I was pretty vocal about the ease of defence and didn't realise I was as guilty of R1 and x as the next guy. I was now using it to get closer to the ball but then ease up to see which way he would go and the right moment to pounce.

I still feel there needs to be a little more tools available for defenders when they are one in one with attackers but I know Konami are notorious for 2 things on betas and first gameplay demos

1. The game is much more slanted to attack and
2.pass and shot assistance is generally higher than the full game

I also need them to fix that god awful delay on the slide tackle. It's executed a good half a second after you have pressed the button.
I figured I need to time it better but it's unfair to allow attackers instantaneous turning but hinder the defensive side with a button delay.

Can't wait to play the final version of this thing.

Last edited:
What's wrong with Fulham?
Well, to have one licensed Championship team is utterly pointless. Save your money... Even if they get promoted this season, it'd mean sacrificing the other Premier League licensed team due to the "two PL teams only" restriction, so we'd get e.g. Liverpool and Fulham in PES 2019.

Before you say "wouldn't it be better to see one licensed 'big' club and one licensed 'smaller' club" - I'm not a fan of the big teams, by any stretch (see the Master League thread, I've been using Hull throughout playing PES 2017), but it makes more sense to license the teams who will appear in the big competitions, so that those main licenses appear much more authentic when you reach them with your minnow club (Man Red in the Champions League, no thanks).

If the "two-team" Premier League license thing doesn't apply to the Championship, go after a ton of them - and hopefully they are. But one? There's just no point, it doesn't help authenticity! It highlights the lack of it for the other 23 teams...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom