PES 2014 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Each version of PES had been completely different, as if each year they flip a coin because they don't know what direction to go in. Next gen will hopefully see a marked improvement but will we still get crappy game modes, terrible presentation etc in next gen? I know gameplay is king but it's not enough in this day and age, particularly when the game will most likely be much more expensive than current gen versions.

Sadly I can't see the game being a total evolution (no pun intended), because the focus will stil be on making the game for PS3/360. But I have no faith in them as a massive company at all now, they need to drag themselves into 2014. I mean the new Metal Gear game features a sniper woman wearing a thong and virtually nothing else. In this day and age it's totally unacceptable, and PES is just as stuck in the old days (minus the thongs, of course).

Couldn´t agree more. Specially about the first sentence.
Check different PES Versions, different demos (of the same release) and different patches.
It seems like they always keep moving faders and settings (shot power, AI etc) back and forth until the mass doesn´t rant no more.
But they don´t test it themselves because of no time or no knowledge, I don´t know.

The sad thing about this is:
They´ve got the potential and they´ve got the possibilities to make a helluva footy game and be a big competitor to EA even without that many licenses.
It just looks like they don´t frigging know better...

But also interesting will be what they serve up for current gen given how badly the "old" machines cope with PES 2014. Will they go back to a revamped PES 2013? A HD PES 5/6?
I truly hope that it will be PES 5 HD, because I am sure that it will be way better than anything else what they can come up with!!

I truly hope that it will be PES 5 HD, because I am sure that it will be way better than anything else what they can come up with!!

I'd take PES 5 HD with updated kits etc... Still the best and most addictive football game to date.

I'd take PES 5 HD with updated kits etc... Still the best and most addictive football game to date.

As much as I would happily play a HD PES 5 if it had a really well implemented ML with all the bells and whistles, it's not going to happen.

But that's why I'm concerned as to what is to come. Konami could use the extra power of the PS4 to get PES 2014 working properly. Polish up the presentation and reapply weather, stadium editor and fix the ML and online bugs and you have PES 2015.

But what of the MASSIVE PS3/XBOX 360/PC following? Don't forget Konami has only just finished making PS2 PES which has essentially been a tweaked PES 6.

Can the PES 2014 model be tweaked in the same way so as to satisfy the current gen market? Or will they roll back to the PES 2013 engine to possibly allow for a more rounded game in terms of features and modes?

THIS is what will make Konami's next move very interesting.

Will be interesting to see what they come up with. Unless they have 2 teams working on separate games, I can't see anything good coming out on PS3/X360 and PC/PS4/Xbox One...

They have proven with PES 2014 that they lack human resources to work on all fronts already... Without getting into NG thing.

Each version of PES had been completely different, as if each year they flip a coin because they don't know what direction to go in. Next gen will hopefully see a marked improvement but will we still get crappy game modes, terrible presentation etc in next gen? I know gameplay is king but it's not enough in this day and age, particularly when the game will most likely be much more expensive than current gen versions.

Sadly I can't see the game being a total evolution (no pun intended), because the focus will stil be on making the game for PS3/360. But I have no faith in them as a massive company at all now, they need to drag themselves into 2014. I mean the new Metal Gear game features a sniper woman wearing a thong and virtually nothing else. In this day and age it's totally unacceptable, and PES is just as stuck in the old days (minus the thongs, of course).

Welcome back. How was your Fifa vacations? :SMUG:

Yea, it'd be much more fun and rewarding to constantly run past defenders willy-nilly with any player using little effort and skill.

I forgot we were dealing in absolutes. You choose to substitute one extreme for another? There surely is a more suitable middle-ground, though pace is a very difficult mechanic to balance. With that said, I'll take PES 5/WE9:LE's attempt at it over PES 2014's decrepit effort. Perhaps if players decided to oh, I don't know, stop taking stutter steps (and slowing down mid-stride for no apparent reason) even when hammering on the sprint button they'd be able to exploit their pace in a more effective manner.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they will just release games based on PES 2014 including all patches on the current gen consoles in the next few years.

I'm pretty sure they will just release games based on PES 2014 including all patches on the current gen consoles in the next few years.

I think so. I have a feeling something very different is coming this year for the new consoles though.

I forgot we were dealing in absolutes. You choose to substitute one extreme for another? There surely is a more suitable middle-ground, though pace is a very difficult mechanic to balance. With that said, I'll take PES 5/WE9:LE's attempt at it over PES 2014's decrepit effort. Perhaps if players decided to oh, I don't know, stop taking stutter steps (and slowing down mid-stride for no apparent reason) even when hammering on the sprint button they'd be able to exploit their pace in a more effective manner.

Totally agree with this.

I'd say the catch up bug isn't so much of a bug, more like scripting. The CPU sluggish defenders will catch up with my fastest wingers no problem, but when I'm trying to catch up with the CPU's forwards, I don't get the same benefit. Takes me a lot longer to be able to build up speed to catch up with them.

I don't know whether I am 'running correctly', or if I'm missing something. The R1 double tap definitely works for a short burst (especially when receiving a through ball) but apart from that, just running with the ball in general, seems a tough ask for even the fastest players against the AI.

This HAS to change, as Redhat says, they should find at least a middle ground.

I don't want to run past defenders easily, but I want it to be realistic and for the players attributes to be reflected on the pitch.
In other words, if I'm running with Theo Walcott and I beat the last defender, a Per Mertesacker type, it's only reasonable to expect Walcott will run away with it. But unfortunately that is not what happens in the last PES games.

Totally agree with this.

I'd say the catch up bug isn't so much of a bug, more like scripting. The CPU sluggish defenders will catch up with my fastest wingers no problem, but when I'm trying to catch up with the CPU's forwards, I don't get the same benefit. Takes me a lot longer to be able to build up speed to catch up with them.

I don't know whether I am 'running correctly', or if I'm missing something. The R1 double tap definitely works for a short burst (especially when receiving a through ball) but apart from that, just running with the ball in general, seems a tough ask for even the fastest players against the AI.

I don't want to run past defenders easily, but I want it to be realistic and for the players attributes to be reflected on the pitch.
In other words, if I'm running with Theo Walcott and I beat the last defender, a Per Mertesacker type, it's only reasonable to expect Walcott will run away with it. But unfortunately that is not what happens in the last PES games.

They need to add proper working stamina system which works in relation to how much you sprint//scaling with minutes in game.

This is hard, but FIFA did it. Their stamina system is almost spot on.
Also would love to have ability to walk with slight analogue stick push, slow dribble the more I push it to finally jog when fully pushed. Sprinting can be made analogue using triggers, so shouldn't be a problem either.

Bring back normal player switching (press L1 it switches instantly, not when you release the fucking button), simple right stick player switching without having to hold another button (what is it a friggin fighting game?!) and manual switching from PES 6.

Battles for possession should also be dependable on stats like strength, weight, etc. Right now you can cheat with R2 stick. Players like Yaya are easily shaken off the ball... Or Dzeko can't hold up to ball despite being big and strong forward... Hell, powerful players seem like Neymar in PES 2014. Weightless :(.

Needs to change. Not to mention overhaul of ML/Online modes is also needed. Lots to do in small frame of time.

As much as I would happily play a HD PES 5 if it had a really well implemented ML with all the bells and whistles, it's not going to happen.

But that's why I'm concerned as to what is to come. Konami could use the extra power of the PS4 to get PES 2014 working properly. Polish up the presentation and reapply weather, stadium editor and fix the ML and online bugs and you have PES 2015.

But what of the MASSIVE PS3/XBOX 360/PC following? Don't forget Konami has only just finished making PS2 PES which has essentially been a tweaked PES 6.

Can the PES 2014 model be tweaked in the same way so as to satisfy the current gen market? Or will they roll back to the PES 2013 engine to possibly allow for a more rounded game in terms of features and modes?

THIS is what will make Konami's next move very interesting.

PES 2014 is like FIFA 07/08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1S687pWlDw

The focus was on all the things PES 2013 didn't have and implementing as much realism as possible in the physical and animations aspect.

One thing which isn't seen is how easily and smoothly PES 2014 runs compared to 2013:

PES 2014 doesn't even have to load in Training mode, its that basic a game! This is a shell of a game, a beta, experiment. This is not surprising since it's the first attempt on a brand new engine.

I did a post back here regarding PES on the PS3/360 in which every single game was an experiment:
http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2870211&postcount=22343
People seem miffed by Konami's direction. i don't it's a long term thing, PES was dead back in 2009, and 2011-2013 has been about trying to find a new prototype to push forward on. This is a society thing also, people live in the moment too much, everything is now, now, now without too much of a plan, instead living on someone else's plan.

People talk about PES5 here but not about how PES5 happened and the development before. That game was great because Konami got it right with PES1, consolidated the prototype by PES3 and tweaked it to it's peak with PES5. By PES 2009 it was clear Konami where not in a position to do this and needed a new prototype which accumilated with PES 2013.

With the new engine, just like with FIFA 08 especially PES 2014 is about creating as much realistic potential as possible in regards to it's animations, physics and physical play so unlike with PES 2013 the game will not be held back by the old engine, instead the potential will be far greater and more stable.

The biggest thing which is missing from PES 2014 is the responsive movement and dribbling from PES 2013, in PES 2014 they move at two speeds, i'm sure this is deliberate to focus heavily on the realistic animations and many of the new functions and to clear out all the old ancient animations from before.

Totally agree with this.

If the Catch up system is in, it's usually because if it's not there, fast players have far too much of an advantage if it's not there.

I look at FIFA 09 and that reminds me of how not having something like this can turn out, you could run with any 90 rated pace player on that game from the halfway line and score easily vs the CPU or human player.

It's one extreme or the other. PES 2014 is basic to the extent it wouldn't work well without it at this present time. If the game didn't operate at just two speeds with slow jog/jockey and full sprint i think we will see the catch up system gone happily.

Last edited:
Welcome back. How was your Fifa vacations? :SMUG:

Still playing and (just about) enjoying it! But I do miss a really good PES.

I had popped in here ready to join the 2015 hype train but it hasn't started yet. I enjoy the hype more than their actual games. I'm sure come October I'll be quickly bemoaning how you still can't do anything in ML, how data packs are screwing with option files and how the game is vastly different from patch to patch. Ah, PES :((

Last edited:
Ive made a decision. If PES15 is dogshit im selling my Xbox1 and giving up gaming.

I dont love Fifa the way the way I love PES.

So Konami - over to you.....

Will the ps3 and xbox get this patch that the pc has, or will we get a slightly better one in a few weeks and so on?

Still enjoying Master League even if the scripting is identical to pes 2013. . . ah well what can we do?

Will the ps3 and xbox get this patch that the pc has, or will we get a slightly better one in a few weeks and so on?

Hopefully a better one!

This is what I wrote in the PC section, as there are two things that bug me a little with the new patch:

What quite bugs me about 1.13 is, that the referee whistles way too often. Even I didn´t press X or square it happened 3 times that my defenders caused a foul in the box which led to a penalty against me.

The other thing is, that my striker stops too often when receiving a ball.
Hard to describe but he doesn´t run WITH the ball to take it while running (as it used to be pre patch), he stops, turns around, takes it with his chest or whatever and gives away space as the defenders already caught him.
Doesn´t happen always, but quite often.

The good thing about this patch is, that they toned down the passing a bit. Passing was too strong on 1.12.

I'm getting more quitters the last days on PC than before the patch, anyone else made the same experiences??

Yea, it'd be much more fun and rewarding to constantly run past defenders willy-nilly with any player using little effort and skill.

Why is it that to some of you, no catch-up bug directly translates into run past defenders willy-nilly with any player?. It's ridiculous.

First of all, it wouldn't be right if you could do it with ANY player. It would be right if you could dribble and get past defenders with very skilful players like Messi, Silva, Iniesta, etc, Second... it still wouldn't be right if you could do it EVERY time, even with those players I mentioned. Third, great SOLID games like PES versions of golden times or even FIFA (like it or not) do not have the catch up bug, and you could run, dribble and get past defenders like in real life.

The fact that Konami put this... "feature"(?) in the game (like in PES 2012) only speaks about Konami's old incapacity and inability at making a realistic game that includes every aspect of real football present in it. Yeah... running, sprinting and dribbling are part of that.

I suppose it won't be necessary for me to post dozens of YouTube videos proving my point with real-life goals scored by players dribbling and getting past defenders just by running.

And I also supposed it won't be necessary for me to post dozens of YouTube videos where the catch-up bug simply ruins the experience of counter-attacking with fast players. Right?.

Why is it that to some of you, no catch-up bug directly translates into run past defenders willy-nilly with any player?. It's ridiculous.

First of all, it wouldn't be right if you could do it with ANY player. It would be right if you could dribble and get past defenders with very skilful players like Messi, Silva, Iniesta, etc, Second... it still wouldn't be right if you could do it EVERY time, even with those players I mentioned. Third, great SOLID games like PES versions of golden times or even FIFA (like it or not) do not have the catch up bug, and you could run, dribble and get past defenders like in real life.

The fact that Konami put this... "feature"(?) in the game (like in PES 2012) only speaks about Konami's old incapacity and inability at making a realistic game that includes every aspect of real football present in it. Yeah... running, sprinting and dribbling are part of that.

I suppose it won't be necessary for me to post dozens of YouTube videos proving my point with real-life goals scored by players dribbling and getting past defenders just by running.

And I also supposed it won't be necessary for me to post dozens of YouTube videos where the catch-up bug simply ruins the experience of counter-attacking with fast players. Right?.

It is a challenge in PES 2014, but I can already dribble and run past defenders in PES 2014 more than it happens in real life. Not sure how much more easy it should be, really. Yes, it is "thrilling" to diddle the sprint button and run past football players at full tilt before slotting one past the keeper. Truth is though, it doesn't happen that often or as much as some of you seem to think it does. That being said, I recognize it'll be changed in PES 2015 because it's an unpopular system this year. Hope it doesn't become too easy and unrewarding next year.

It is a challenge in PES 2014, but I can already dribble and run past defenders in PES 2014 more than it happens in real life. Not sure how much more easy it should be, really. Yes, it is "thrilling" to diddle the sprint button and run past football players at full tilt before slotting one past the keeper. Truth is though, it doesn't happen that often or as much as some of you seem to think it does. That being said, I recognize it'll be changed in PES 2015 because it's an unpopular system this year. Hope it doesn't become too easy and unrewarding next year.

It should be rewarding, not easy. I would hate it if it became as easy as it was in PES 2008 and even 2013. But I'm sure there's a middle ground here, bro. It shouldn't be "catch-up bug or sprint&dribble fest". Remember PES golden times? PES 5, PES 6... sh!t... even Winning Eleven F.E. on PS1... was that a sprint fest? I can't remember it being unrewarding nor too easy. However it was POSSIBLE.

I've been playing a lot of PES 6 these past couple of days thanks to Phoenix and his amazing patch and I can safely say the catch-up thing is something they added to PES 2014 in order to fix their own stupidity. There was no need for that in PES 6 or even in ISS.

Erm PES 6 IMO is one of the worst to date. Arcade fest of note amd the start of the decline of PES till 2011

But a fully patched PC version of PES 6, stats altered, ball speed slowed etc, is not an arcade fest. And still probably, all things considered, the best rendition of a football simulation to date.

Even the way the CPU plays and keeps possession is a light year ahead of anything more contemporary.

What is lacks is 360 movement.

Basically everything else, atmosphere, feel, tactics, stadium variety (by that I mean feel and identity of stadium, textures, crowds etc), Master League, players playing like their stats, keepers, hall physics, CPU keeping possession, the defensive user game in moving your players to contain CPU...all near enough better on the old versions.

But I'm still enjoying my 2014 PC version. I think i's 1.04. Has a nice balance with the shooting of being contextual and not overpowered as some talked about in later patches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom