PES 2014 Appreciation Thread

I still don't understand why they didn't use PES 2014 as a base for the Fox Engine and just improve the responsiveness and the modes. It's the best prototype and if it had some further polish, we would have had a decent PES 2020 game now.
Because when you release Pes 2015 that is basically an all arcade football match and it receives better feedback and sells better. Why would a company insist on losing profits by making a realistic football game?

Guys, I have created a package for enabling World Challenge for PESEdit Patch 4.4. For those installed PESEdit Patch 4.4, you may want to try it out.

https://mega.nz/file/fe4C0KjI#W7KSWRifhZTnkLfufpkxa5tAEXxy1ssiJkA_Ffhr6Ps

Installation steps
1. Install PESEdit Patch 4.4
2. Move "C:\ProgramData\KONAMI\Pro Evolution Soccer 2014\download" inside the game folder (The default path is "C:\Program Files (x86)\KONAMI\Pro Evolution Soccer 2014". After moving you will have "C:\Program Files (x86)\KONAMI\Pro Evolution Soccer 2014\download".)
3. Put the content in this "PESEdit 2014 Patch 4.4 Enable World Challenge.zip" zip file into the game folder. Overwrite the files when the Windows asks for it.

Question... What does the sort of "heat map" on each player's body mean? They're all steaming red out of nowhere!

zDgfxTD.png

Do you mean the "Player Emotions / Motivation"?
Ahhh, yes! Thank you!

So there's a "motivation" indicator...

A "form" arrow (or "condition arrow")...

AND a fitness level (which I would consider their "condition")...

:SHOCK: Confusing! There's an article about "Heart" (which governs the "motivation" from what I understand) over here.

I had my first game with scripting that I could feel earlier, which was a bit gutting after having so much fun with it so far. It was a cup game, against a slightly worse team (Watford), and I just wasn't allowed to get near their players with defenders. They would get close and circle the opponent, but were never allowed to get close enough to get the ball. Sad times.

However, I was disheartened and put PES 2020 on afterwards - and once again, I just came away shocked. I played the same match, and the AI finished with 96% pass accuracy. Compared to 70% on 2014. But you could FEEL that during the game - in the modern games there are barely any moves that don't result in a chance. Clearly nobody wants those midfield battles and games where you just can't make a moment of magic.

Ahhh, yes! Thank you!

So there's a "motivation" indicator...
A "form" arrow (officially known as a "condition arrow")...
AND a fitness level (which I would consider their "condition")...

:SHOCK: Confusing! There's an article about "Heart" (which governs the "motivation" from what I understand) over here.

I had my first game with scripting that I could feel earlier, which was a bit gutting after having so much fun with it so far. It was a cup game, against a slightly worse team (Watford), and I just wasn't allowed to get near their players with defenders. They would get close and circle the opponent, but were never allowed to get close enough to get the ball. Sad times.

However, I was disheartened and put PES 2020 on afterwards - and once again, I just came away shocked. I played the same match, and the AI finished with 96% pass accuracy. Compared to 70% on 2014. But you could FEEL that during the game - in the modern games there are barely any moves that don't result in a chance. Clearly nobody wants those midfield battles and games where you just can't make a moment of magic.
Cup games (as far back as I can remember) have always been a bit different than league games in term of making it "more fair".
9/10 I just skip those

I've just played a few games and what a breath of fresh air to see the pitch so compressed! 100x better than all the space and retreating we see on 2020 (2015+ to be honest). This change alone can make me forget about so many other shortcomings in a football game because you are required to THINK and pass your way up and down the pitch. Really enjoying it so far.

I even went back to FIFA 20. Wow, has PES 2014 opened my eyes. From kick-off you can run through a team and get a shot off. No resistance whatsoever, even with mods and sliders. There is, again, no thought involved. Just, point the stick towards the goal and wiggle it to get around each player.

I'm so sick of being intelectually passive in modern football games, of being able to turn my brain off and just wiggle a player around to earn a shot without pre-match preparation or tactics coming into it. It's not remotely satisfying.

I'd upload them to the Google Drive but I've not got much space left - I'll see what I can do!

Yup, it's one of the main reasons I've pretty much stopped playing Career Mode and Master League this year. Modern football games aren't stimulating enough from an actual football perspective. This is why I used to play exclusively on FUMA on past titles because at least it was mechanically difficult, but the AI in 2020 is too cheap for me to intentionally handicap myself. Even with Klashman's tactics and modified DT18 files, it's still such a glaring issue that it detracts from the fun.

I'll boot up an exhibition in 2020 every few days or so, and I'm just left feeling empty by the end of the half. It's too rote and passive. Depending on the opposition, carving out a chance should feel rewarding. I should sit there and go, "fuck me, what a passage of play. I did well there." I rarely feel like I'm being mentally taxed when it comes to creating chances so ultimately, it doesn't feel rewarding. If it doesn't feel rewarding, I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything of significance which at that point, I close the game.

The problem is on rare occasions, I'll have a match that is well poised and creating clear cut chances proves to be a challenge. I'll finally score, take the lead, feel proud, and what am I rewarded with? A 50-yard laser to their striker that upon closer inspection via replay, could have been intercepted about 5 times over, but alas! It's too late! Taxi For Barthez Syndrome has spread to my entire back four! Avoiding replicating proper human locomotion and reaction speed like the Bubonic Plague, my defenders will stumble around whilst their forward shields the ball with the strength of 10,000 Spartans. He'll then proceed to turn, shoot from 20 yards out, and nestle the ball into the side netting with the utmost of ease. 80 ingame minutes of work down the drain. Again, what's the point? There isn't one, so I close the game. Late upsets happen, but this is how the AI creates the vast majority of their chances every single game. It's straight up dumb. The lack of balance is dumb. It doesn't make for a compelling gameplay experience.

Now, I could easily rattle off just as many or more positives about PES 2020, but games don't typically hinge on arbitrary numerical parity. If I have a carton of eggs and one half is pristine, but the other half is rotten, then that's a pretty shit carton of eggs, isn't it? Houses built on shoddy foundation and all of that. Don't build on a swamp. The difficulty in modern football games derives from how cheap/poorly programmed the AI is. You have to treat it like you're playing FUT and adopt a "win at all costs" approach. Real football be damned.

If PES 2020 played as good as it looked, we wouldn't be talking about past football games.

Last edited:
Anyone found a way to uncap the framerate on match intro from 30 to 60 on pc port? Idk if its just my pc but the match intros seem to be capped to 30 fps here.

Not that I know of, the servers for the previous game are taken down 2-3 years after. :(
Yeah I figured as much, I know there are user owned servers still active for PES 5 & 6 but they are way, way more popular than 2014 ever was, but I thought I'd ask just in case. Would be interesting to see how it plays against another human

Yeah I figured as much, I know there are user owned servers still active for PES 5 & 6 but they are way, way more popular than 2014 ever was, but I thought I'd ask just in case. Would be interesting to see how it plays against another human

If you happen to know anyone personally that would be willing to play, you could always use a program like Parsec or Moonlight Streaming (assuming you and your guest have decent internet).

If you happen to know anyone personally that would be willing to play, you could always use a program like Parsec or Moonlight Streaming (assuming you and your guest have decent internet).
Great point.

I use Parsec to play career modes with friends and it works really well. Not perfect (one of you has to play via stream) but the best we can hope for.

Great point.

I use Parsec to play career modes with friends and it works really well. Not perfect (one of you has to play via stream) but the best we can hope for.

Yup, I've been playing Career Mode and older football titles with my friend for years via Moonlight. It's beautiful. Only one of you is required to own the game as well which is a bonus.

Are you a fan of this pes 2014 version for me now?

You gamers forgot how much you criticized the game that year. You criticized the whole game. You did not allow the development team to continue the simulation process of the 2014 version in the following years.

I even remember. Then the game is slow. And being a simulator of the game, you made cruel criticisms. The 2014 version was incomplete. There is no doubt about that. But the game's roots were based on a simulator football.

You had to give the construction team a chance. But you didn't. You just criticized. You questioned the whole game.

Now, after a few years, you realize how strong that version was.

Konami also sees the story this way. So he decided to go online. Arcade the game. And no longer pay attention to the offline and margins of football games.

Some of the problems we face in football games. The gamers are to blame. I remember those times. The game was heavily criticized. No one supported the efforts the development team made for the 2014 version. nobody .

Let's have a drink now. See another simulator game dream. Konami has gone online. A semi-arcade game. Which no longer pays attention to the atmosphere and the margins of the football world.

Sports games are in a coma. This pes is a shadow of its glorious past.

You gamers forgot how much you criticized the game that year.
And rightly so, I dare say.

At the beginning, it was a mess. It was completely impossible to play (and I'm holding back).
How would you expect people to praise it?

I tried this game when it was in pre-alpha (a friend of mine bought the retail version of the game for console at day one, like he always did, and I got to play some matches with it), then I completely forgot about it as it was nowhere near playable at the time.
Keepers blankly staring ahead of them without even trying to save shots and players who could just get past an entire team just with rainbow flicks are only two of the major gripes I had with the game at release and are the main reasons I decided not to buy it and to go back to FIFA (I wasn't disappointed).

Then, patches came and made PES 2014 better.
Keepers started doing what they were allegedly paid for, defenders started at least trying to dispossess opponents, and the game began being finally playable.
I won't hide that it still felt unfinished (no weather effect of any kind, poor LOD, goalposts not casting any shadow in direct sunlight, keepers still having responsiveness issues when getting up after a save, defenders completely forgetting about the ball at times) but at least it became playable and had its "wow, this is gold" moments.
But at that time, many of the players had already jumped ship. And again, I can't blame them seeing how the game was at release.

Most of the criticism the game got when it was released wasn't about it being heavy or difficult or too simulative, was about it being barely playable because of the AI (well, the lack of it to be more precise).

Mates, do you really think that konami's dev would continue their work on 2014 if it shouldn't criticized? Time goes on my friend, money drive everything and, criticized or not, the gameplay of 2014 should be changed anyway. Look at pes 13, it has not been so criticized but gameplay has changed anyway. Sure 2014 was not perfect, even if with patches was better, but I don't think that if Pes 14 should have met the ok of all the gamers, things could changed. It's all a money matters! Real football gamers are a minority and Konami isn't interested to them. Ping pong passes, unreal but spectacular goals, end to end and frenzy gameplay, these are things that market now asks and these are things that Konami gives to.

Look at pes 17, I worked on dt18 (the file gameplay related).and exe of Pes 17 18 19 and 20. Well, untill pes 18, dt18 matters and are more complete/detailed and provide to a lot of gameplay situations. Then in pes 19 and 20 dt18 is strongly reduced and most values become a simply recall to a constant routine that realize a constant gameplay.

2014 was atrocious on his first life phase and a very incomplete game for the reasons already described above. If they'd released something more resembling on how the game plays at the latest patches, probably a lot more people (me included) wouldn't have called it out so early. I did a lot of matches in the last days and the game plays SO much better than I remember. Yesterday for example I tried a Chelsea Liverpool and the way the AI behaved togheter with the general flow was fantastic, with a grade of realism that honestly it's very hard to see in any of the later chapters. Still the meager contents and the general lack of care they put in it is hardly excusable.

Plus, about criticism and whatnot, it's still fresh that we flooded Konami with comments on how good the 2020 demo felt yet they pretty much did it what they wanted anyway. I don't think there is much our feedback can do at this point.

Look at pes 17, I worked on dt18 (the file gameplay related).and exe of Pes 17 18 19 and 20. Well, untill pes 18, dt18 matters and are more complete/detailed and provide to a lot of gameplay situations. Then in pes 19 and 20 dt18 is strongly reduced and most values become a simply recall to a constant routine that realize a constant gameplay.

Interesting you say that about PES18. I remember playing PES18 a couple of years ago and it dawned on me that it was a masterpiece because it had so many unique situations and events on the pitch, and animations to match those situations - particularly the aerial game, crosses, variety of headers, goalkeeper saves, fumbles and other animations, unpredictable scrambles in the penalty box - so much rich gameplay detail and the best AI they'd ever done. But then in 19, it felt like they'd removed a whole lot of them and it was a far more simplistic game and very dumbed down AI . It sounds like your explorations of their dt files confirms this - is that what you're saying? That Konami did remove a bunch of things that could happen on the pitch and you can even see that in the dt files?

Sorry to hijack the 14 thread....but this really does make me question what Konami are trying to do with this game.

I haven't had much luck with using this on version 1.16 of the game without crashing. Anyone else having a easier time?

That's because the tool only support patch 1.12. Someone should update the tool to work with last patch

I haven't had much luck with using this on version 1.16 of the game without crashing. Anyone else having a easier time?
That's because the tool only support patch 1.12. Someone should update the tool to work with last patch
If you are just looking for adjusting the settings of resolution, I may help you as I have found a solution by hex-editing the `settings.dat` in "Documents\Pro Evolution Soccer 2014"

Back
Top Bottom