PES 2014 Appreciation Thread

I think the midfield game in 2020 is pretty good when playing on unassisted passing. I find I have to think carefully when playing out from defence, switching the play becomes really important, and passing between the lines takes some precision unlike PA1 and above.

I actually thought 2013 was an improvement on 12 in that sense! From what I remember, PES 2011 nailed the midfield play with its new passing system, then 2012 sped things up a little too much and made it easy to ping-pong from one end to the other. 13 was a bit of a middle ground between the two, and it fixed a few other problems with 12 (most notably the shooting physics, which were a bit too floaty in 11 and 12).

I'll still pick 2013, despite its faults, as my favorite because it's simply been the most fun game to play out of all of them. And I think the biggest reason is that it's perfectly balanced between attack and defence: it's probably the only football game I've played where defending is my favorite part. The player switching, which has been almost uniformly horrendous in the newer games, is completely on point, and your players respond instantly to loose balls (instead of doing ... whatever the hell it is they do in 2020).

One of the bigger complaints I remember from this game, especially in ML Online, was that it was a bit too easy to exploit pacy forwards with long through balls. But the beauty of the defensive controls was that you could anticipate this and manually control your deepest defender to position them to cut out the pass. Incredibly satisfying when you pulled it off!

I should also add that my experience with all the PES games is probably unique compared to most people on this site because I hardly ever touch the single-player or online modes. Local multiplayer only! So I've never really worried about how the AI cheats or what the cheap players online do, all that matters to me is how fun and realistic the gameplay is against human opponents.
Yeah I get that you may have different view on these games if you play local multiplayer.

Fore as a ML player I think 12 was very underrated.

In 2020, there's no midfield, there's no need to build-up play, you beat the top teams easily and get hammered by the worst ones. The AI is horrible, with it's constant patterns (long ball from defender to striker, who chests it perfectly and hits the old 180-turn-shot). In all those areas, 2014 plays better, to me.
I guess I'm comparing the modded Pes 2020 to a modded Pes 2014. Meaning modded gameplay. Firstly, the 2020 Klashman tactics make a huge difference. Secondly, use this gameplay mod from Gabe.Paul.Logan. I can't really play either game unmodded.

Link https://www.mediafire.com/file/4k4nt6agm84nysa/GAB_GP_NEW-V4.rar/file
Thread https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/new-gameplay-with-dt18_all-cpk.80757/page-198

For 2014 the catchup removal makes the game much better. There used to be a good gameplay mod for it as well that fixed the unresponsive dribbling. Tbh I can't really compare the vanilla games too much since I've played them with mods most of the time.

Having spoken to the other mods about this...

Firstly - we do not advocate piracy of any currently available titles. Forum rules state this pretty clearly. If a game is available to purchase legally (excluding second-hand sales as these don't benefit the publishers / developers anyway), we will not allow discussion on how or where to illegally download those games, nor how to bypass their copy protection, nor any similar subject matter other than general discussion and (of course) modding discussion.

However - as is the case with "classic" titles like PES5 & PES6, as those games are no longer for sale, and this is a enthusiasts' community where we look back through all previous PES games for retro-lovin' reasons, we do allow discussion of these games, including posts containing non-site-hosted links where you can download these older games, and any necessary "no-DVD" EXE files in order to allow modded content to appear in the game. These games are considered "abandonware" (where the publisher no longer distributes the titles for sale, and where the developer no longer supports those titles, and has turned off the servers for necessary data-pack downloads and online play).

With that in mind... For anyone who would like to install the game on PC and have a play around with it...

I've uploaded PES 2014 to a Google Drive, so nobody has to go through dodgy links to find it - click here to access it.

To install - download the ZIP, extract the files, mount the ISO (in Windows 10 you just right-click and click "mount").

Then go to Windows Explorer (the "folders" icon), go to the virtual CD drive it's created (called PES2014) and run setup.exe from there.

It will ask you for an install key at some point, which is included in a text file in the folder.

Once installed, and a mod patch is installed, a modded EXE will likely replace the original and you should no longer need the disc to be mounted - at which point, you can right-click on the virtual drive and click "eject" to unmount whenever you're done with it.

Then:

> Download all the DPs and patches in one from here (but don't apply them yet)

> Take your pick of the patches...

(The easiest to install is Fire Patch, which has loads of faces, stadiums and is updated to the 14/15 season. It is also compatible with the final update, 1.16, and DP7 which contains the World Challenge / Road to World Cup mode.)

USE THE FOLLOWING LINKS FOR INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS ONLY (NOT FOR DOWNLOADING)

>> Fire Patch 2014 AIO 6.0
>> PES Galaxy 2014 3.0 (with this bonus stadium pack)
>> PESEdit 4.4

For PESEdit 4.4, you need to extract each DP in order and then stop at 6.0 - because it doesn't support 7.0 (and doesn't come with an EXE that can even access the content in there, i.e. the Road to World Cup style mode).

The others support 7.0. (Also, you shouldn't need to bother with the updated EXEs as each patch should come with its own. But, always read the instructions!)

USE THE FOLLOWING LINKS TO DOWNLOAD YOUR CHOSEN PATCH

Fire Patch 2014 Datapack Installer
(Only download one of these links)

Fire Patch 2014 6.0 AIO + 6.1 Update Installer

PESGalaxy 2014 3.0 Installer
(Download one set, then the fix at the end, and the optional stadium pack)

UPTOBOX

SHAREMODS

MIRRORED.TO

PESGalaxy 2014 3.0 Fix Installer

PESGalaxy 2014 Stadium Pack
(Download one set)

UPTOBOX

SHAREMODS

MIRRORED.TO

PESEdit 4.4 Installer

Away you go.

If you want to get stadiums working with the Fire Patch:

I ve installed the Fire Patch some time ago and and it works with the world challenge mode. It is a very good patch that also come with a stadium pack. The stadium pack needs a bit of tinkering to be added to the DPfilelist as there is no DF generator for this game I think.
I used this tutorial video to add the stadium pack:

The process is essentially the same for 14. Open the DPfilelist.bin file with a hex editor, copy the line with weird characters (they are different for 14) and paste bellow a line full of dots after the last file name. Bellow the pasted line type or copy paste the name of the ckp you want to add. Edit the hex number of the first line to match the number of ckp you have installed (those are hex numbers so 10 decimal=0A).
This game has a soul that's for sure.

To remove catch-up issues (and increase individuality):

There is this old tool for the catch-up bug, I haven't tried or tested it. Maybe it's worth a shot?

https://www.pes-patch.com/2014/07/pes14-mini-fix-catchup-removal-tool-by-nesa24.html

Have fun - and upload some videos if you enjoy your time with it!

Last edited:
Finally PES 2014 is getting some love. I played that game the whole year, purely due to gameplay and all the progressive things that were introduced then. Remember being surprised it was so universally refuted by the community, while now we would probably start salivating if Konami even announce returning to the more sim direction that they tried back then.

With that in mind... For anyone who would like to install the game on PC and have a play around with it...

Oh man thanks for this, I was just too lazy to hunt around for shady files and install in my pc. Ill give this a go today. Did the catch up bug tool work? I hope it feels better than the demo, which to be honest after a few games I just uninstalled. Will try play with latest patch to see if increased responsiveness

Having spoken to the other mods about this...
Hi. I have tested the catch-up tool and it works fine, also it describes a 'player individuality' which I have noticed with players like Tevez, you are able to get past players well with his pace and strength.

I have PES 2014 on disk, So Installation is likely to be the same if you download PES 2014 from above...

To install
Run the Tool
Click open and find your original exe and press open
Now back to the tool and click patch
Go back to your original PES 2014 directory and you should have two exe files. One called pes2014 and pes2014 without CATCHUP
Go ahead and delete the original PES 2014 and rename the new exe to 'pes2014' so that your patch has no problems booting up the exe
And you're done

I've ended up reinstalling it, with all the patch updates (not the DPs tho, never had much confidence with the dpfilelist things, might try later).

I've always put this title aside mostly for the meager content (the no rain thing always bothered me to no end) and for the fact it had that marked catch up bug and other issues, but I must say it's a nice breath of fresh air. The flow of the game is fantastic. Got two penalties in the same match (AFC Champions League):

Even tho I somehow managed to fail them both.(EDIT: I realized I picked the wrong second clip which was just a funny collision and deleted the second penalty I wanted to show:CONF:. RIp, you'll have to take my word for it :) )

Regarding AI, I'm seeing such good things. For example here:

The first a very nice goal AI did to me, that it's kinda what is missing from for example 19 and 20.. the forward guy feint and completely surprised me by pointing to the center, finishing with a nice curling shot in the low corner. The second, a low free kick try by CPU (I'd like to be corrected but thinking about this last years I haven't seen one in such a long time).

Then the last one, that made think about the Reus play Chris posted pages before:

The CPU guy keeping ball and "looking" at the side, only to suddenly try a Pirlo-like central through ball. Lovely.

If I had to say the thing that bothers me the most on the field, is the fact first touch error is very hard to see at all with the default stats, maybe even cause there was the tendency of setting the most of them upwards, even in minor teams like the AFC ones. Just to test waters I lowered all to forty thanks to the global editor and for the single match I did it looked better, might be worth to experiment a bit with it (and not only with ball control.. I bet with a through review of stats, this game would shine even more).

Last edited:
The CPU guy keeping ball and "looking" at the side, only to suddenly try a Pirlo-like central through ball. Lovely.

If I had to say the thing that bothers me the most on the field, is the fact first touch error is very hard to see at all with the default stats, maybe even cause there was the tendency of setting the most of them upwards, even in minor teams like the AFC ones. Just to test waters I lowered all to forty thanks to the global editor and for the single match I did it looked better, might be worth to experiment a bit with it (and not only with ball control.. I bet with a through review of stats, this game would shine even more).

There's a global stat editor? Cool. I've got this game on XBox360 (which clearly struggles as there's very obvious slow-down at times) but given Chris's post above about its availability as effectively abandonware, I'm tempted to try it on PC, particularly if modifying stats actually makes a difference. I get the feeling in recent PESs that many stats have no effect, whether set to 40 or 100.

It would also allow me to play it using my PS4 controller on PC (I hate the Xbox360 controller for PES).

Incidentally, really like the Pirlo-like AI play.

There's a global stat editor? Cool. I've got this game on XBox360 (which clearly struggles as there's very obvious slow-down at times) but given Chris's post above about its availability as effectively abandonware, I'm tempted to try it on PC, particularly if modifying stats actually makes a difference. I get the feeling in recent PESs that many stats have no effect, whether set to 40 or 100.

It would also allow me to play it using my PS4 controller on PC (I hate the Xbox360 controller for PES).

Incidentally, really like the Pirlo-like AI play.

You can find the editor here:

https://www.moddingway.com/file/39622.html

As for how much does it make a difference to global edit.. truly can't say for now. Unfortunately any single Pes game after 2013 does have this very unstable and blurred relationship with stats. But in the end I think it's worth to re-try it anyway.

just gave the full game a try with patch 1.07. I saw some good things and movements from the AI. Some goals I scored felt really good. However, I felt the reaction times were still pretty slow (not as bad as demo; ie: I would have no one close to me before making a cross and by the time I pressed the button and the animation went thru, the AI would reach me from 10 ft behind.

It's not a bad game, it does play nice and has nice player movements (doing a 180 with the ball you can feel the momentum), I feel this game punishes you more than other PES for sprinting like a maniac. I don't know if I would start a ML in it now though but will try more games as I played right after playing '18 so it felt weird.

I've read people saying "why didnt Konami work off this game", but then how was 2015? Was it complete different? a bit more "arcady"? (honest question), I dont remember how it played but I think I felt it was an improvement over '14 but probably with more positioning/scripting issues which have prevailed for the last 5 years.
I can see why most people wouldnt like this game, its slow and a couple of my games played like a total drag... but then again that happens in real life

I've read people saying "why didnt Konami work off this game", but then how was 2015? Was it complete different? a bit more "arcady"? (honest question), I dont remember how it played but I think I felt it was an improvement over '14 but probably with more positioning/scripting issues which have prevailed for the last 5 years.
2014 got so much backlash that 2015 was basically NHL with a football skin. And guess what? People loved it. "The king is back" etc.

meant dlc 7. thats the last one no?
ill double check what i have
That's the last DLC but you have to use the last EXE as well, or you won't get new gameplay (1.13 will be installed with the PESEdit patch, 1.16 will be installed with the others - both are identical except for the Road to World Cup mode only being available in 1.16).

Possibly dumb question, but how do I install each data pack as @Chris Davies said? Can I use current DP File List Generator or do I need an older version?
You shouldn't need to touch DPFileList - unless you want to apply extra stadiums (which are included in the Fire Patch install anyway)!

If you're installing PESEdit 4.4 you just open the "all DPs plus EXEs" zip I mentioned in the instructions list earlier - then extract the files from each DP folder in order from 1.0 to 6.0, into your C:\ProgramData\Konami\Pro Evolution Soccer 2014\download folder.

Each one will overwrite a part of the last, don't worry about that. Then, you install PESEdit and it'll "top up" those DP files to 6.1, which is what it needs. (Ignore all the patch folders in that file that contain EXEs, they shouldn't be required.)

If, however, you're installing the Fire Patch one... You don't have to bother with the above at all.

You just download the Fire Patch DLC installer, install that to the same ProgramData folder I just mentioned, then install the Fire Patch install EXEs in order (6a, 6b, 6c, 6d and 6.1), pointing them at your PES install directory.

The Fire Patch seems to have more content - but it's also missing decent stadium assignments (and lots of stadium names) for the EPL and Championship, plus it's missing around half the international team logos for the menus.

The upside is that it's DP7 (i.e. Road to World Cup) compatible, with lots of added faces and extras (such as classic UEFA CL winning teams hidden in the Classic League section).

Last edited:
That's the last DLC but you have to use the last EXE as well, or you won't get new gameplay (1.13 will be installed with the PESEdit patch, 1.16 will be installed with the others - both are identical except for the Road to World Cup mode only being available in 1.16).

You shouldn't need to touch DPFileList - unless you want to apply extra stadiums (which are included in the Fire Patch install anyway)!

If you're installing PESEdit 4.4 you just open the "all DPs plus EXEs" zip I mentioned in the instructions list earlier - then extract the files from each DP folder in order from 1.0 to 6.0, into your C:\ProgramData\Konami\Pro Evolution Soccer 2014\download folder.

Each one will overwrite a part of the last, don't worry about that. Then, you install PESEdit and it'll "top up" those DP files to 6.1, which is what it needs. (Ignore all the patch folders in that file that contain EXEs, they shouldn't be required.)

If, however, you're installing the Fire Patch one... You don't have to bother with the above at all.

You just download the Fire Patch DLC installer, install that to the same ProgramData folder I just mentioned, then install the Fire Patch install EXEs in order (6a, 6b, 6c, 6d and 6.1), pointing them at your PES install directory.

The Fire Patch seems to have more content - but it's also missing decent stadium assignments (and lots of stadium names) for the EPL and Championship, plus it's missing around half the international team logos for the menus.

The upside is that it's DP7 (i.e. Road to World Cup) compatible, with lots of added faces and extras (such as classic UEFA CL winning teams hidden in the Classic League section).
Thanks man, got it working! Massive help.

I've just played a few games and what a breath of fresh air to see the pitch so compressed! 100x better than all the space and retreating we see on 2020 (2015+ to be honest). This change alone can make me forget about so many other shortcomings in a football game because you are required to THINK and pass your way up and down the pitch. Really enjoying it so far. The obsession with 'highlight' moments in modern offerings of football games is completely counter-intuitive in my opinion because they're just so common that they lose their appeal.

I've just played a few games and what a breath of fresh air to see the pitch so compressed! 100x better than all the space and retreating we see on 2020 (2015+ to be honest). This change alone can make me forget about so many other shortcomings in a football game because you are required to THINK and pass your way up and down the pitch. Really enjoying it so far. The obsession with 'highlight' moments in modern offerings of football games is completely counter-intuitive in my opinion because they're just so common that they lose their appeal.
Agreed. There is much more emphasis on midfield battles in PES 2014, In PES 2020 I feel there's way too much space in the middle.

Best thing you can do is:

> Download the game - I've spoken to @Tom about this and, let's be honest here, it's not possible to buy this game legally any more, so I would consider it as "abandonware" (much the same as PES5 and PES6, which have pre-made installers knocking around in various threads)...

Then:

> Download all the DPs and patches in one from here (but don't apply them yet)

> Take your pick of the patches:
>> PESEdit 4.4
>> Fire Patch 2014 AIO 6.0
>> PES Galaxy 2014 3.0 (with this bonus stadium pack)

Away you go.

For PESEdit 4.4, you need to extract each DP in order and then stop at 6.0 - because it doesn't support 7.0 (and doesn't come with an EXE that can even access the content in there, i.e. the Road to World Cup style mode).

The others support 7.0. (Also, you shouldn't need to bother with the updated EXEs as each patch should come with its own. But, always read the instructions!)

Which one's best? I don't know... I rely on PESEdit for PES 2013 so that's the one I went with, and it's great - but I'm missing the World Challenge mode.
Thanks for the instruction and I just got the game installed on my PC also. I will play on both PC and PS3 platforms.

p.s. There are still some physical copies of PES 2014 in HK which can be installed. The physical copies seems came form Europe so I think there may be still some kinda legal ways to find it.

Took the advice from the Pes 20 thread and I'm using auto switching (cursor) and I feel it's more snappy and responsive that way,that half a second or what it takes to switch goes much better with it.
Might try +1 game speed to see if reactions gets better too

Still having a great time with this. The dribbling response time is the biggest frustration, rather than any other input response time - but.

This game has truly reminded me (beyond reading the words in old reviews and not really registering them), why I used to play PES - you really do see something different every game (except for the hard-fought midfield battles that end 0-0 maybe, where nothing happens at all).

This morning before work, I put the game on while I was having breakfast, leaving the controller to one side. After a minute or so, the game goes into demo mode (AI vs AI).

Now I don't think I have EVER uploaded a clip of AI vs AI before - some people insist on playing full careers with the AI playing the game for them, and that boggles my mind (why wouldn't you play Football Manager instead, it's 100x deeper).

But I found myself glued to it - and again, it's something else that makes you realise just how well-developed the older games are. Another line from every classic PES review was "if you watch the AI, you'll learn something about how to play"...

(The blimp replay angle is the best one!)

Hey Chris, what are the differences between the PC and PS3 version?
I don't know that there are any really significant differences - response time is slightly better, and the frame rate of replays isn't a complete disgrace like it is on the PS3...

Plus you've got the mods of course, including the "eliminate catch-up bug" patcher. Which does make a difference. Not as big as you'd like, because the sluggish dribbling response times make it difficult to really burst past someone (although the "double-tap sprint" helps).

Still having a great time with this. The dribbling response time is the biggest frustration, rather than any other input response time - but.

This game has truly reminded me (beyond reading the words in old reviews and not really registering them), why I used to play PES - you really do see something different every game (except for the hard-fought midfield battles that end 0-0 maybe, where nothing happens at all).

This morning before work, I put the game on while I was having breakfast, leaving the controller to one side. After a minute or so, the game goes into demo mode (AI vs AI).

Now I don't think I have EVER uploaded a clip of AI vs AI before - some people insist on playing full careers with the AI playing the game for them, and that boggles my mind (why wouldn't you play Football Manager instead, it's 100x deeper).

But I found myself glued to it - and again, it's something else that makes you realise just how well-developed the older games are. Another line from every classic PES review was "if you watch the AI, you'll learn something about how to play"...

(The blimp replay angle is the best one!)

Can be quite fun watching the game that way.
Wrote about Coach mode on Pes 20 yesterday in league mode (spoiler alert....it's shite).
Always a good way to check if the game is properly done

Back
Top Bottom