PES 2014 Appreciation Thread

Installed the game and mini fix from #263, installed FirePatch too but didn't like it. Installed PTE Patch from #219, that's better for me.
Let me say it straight, I don't see what people are praising. This game is not good at all and I'm not even playing launch version, I'm playing fixed, updated version. This is the most FIFA-like PES I have ever played. I almost feel like I'm playing FIFA 15-17-19, only power bar is different. For the installing and patching efforts, I'm tryna play more and maybe even upload a random highlights video on it.

I made that random highlights video.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying praise PES 2014 at all, this video shows the best parts of my gameplay while hiding extremely bad parts of it.

Konami veteran Jon Murphy said "We could lose every fan we've ever had", oh boy they did. At least in my country.

Konami migrated to Fox Engine on PES 2014, ignored the next-gen, tried so many things and failed even more things. At launch game felt unfinished, unresponsive, unenjoyable, unlikeable. After recieveng many updates, was it good? No. After getting fixes and patches from fans, was it good now? Maybe. I tried FirePatch and PTE Patch for improvements, they also update to 2014/15 season, that's why my video not showing 2013/14 season. Speeder plugin allegedly fixes unresponsiveness, Catchup Removal Tool by nesa24 allegedly fixes catch up problems. I assume they worked well for my gameplay. I remember this both issues making the game unbearable, people tried PES 2014 for 30 minutes and switched back to PES 2013, and never looked back.

Anyone can call me a FIFA hater, that's what I am. I feel like PES 2014 after patches and fixes, it's the most FIFA-like PES I have ever played. While playing I almost forgot that I'm playing PES and I'm playing FIFA 15-17-19 etc.

Things got me frustrated while playing again for this video:

• Negative LOD graphics are killing me. They look like honeycomb and looks worse than PS2 graphics. It must be optimized to not put PS3 into struggle but they look horrible and on PC I couldn't disable it. All PC games should have been future-proofed.
  • Everythings feels inconsistent. Players bumping each other too often.
  • Passes and through passes are extra inconsistent. Through passes often goes on-rails to wide open areas.
  • Fouls happen after the ball leveing the foot too often.
  • Players randomly starts to run away from the ball.
  • Players suddenly switches to turbo speed too often. That's where the most FIFA-like thing comes for me.
  • Double tap tackle is too overpowered. Even the forwards are easily stealing balls with it.
  • Weak foot shots are too overpowered if it's a manual shot.
  • Controlled shots are too overpowered, I mean they were OP in PES 2013 too but in PES 2014 it feels like I'm encouraged to do it all the time.
  • Commentators are robotic and repeats too much.
  • Game suddenly teleports to goal celebration right after the ball crosses the line.
and the most importantly, it's way worse compared to it's predecessor. PES 2013 was the best PES for the many, at least in my country. So it doubles the frustration.

TL: DR; it's not as bad as you think... (Hence why I've decided to create this thread!)

Obviously, it's got issues. Nobody is saying it's the perfect game. But I honestly think that the best bits of 2014 are better than the best bits of 2020.

I couldn't find an old (still open) PES 2014 thread - and I don't think it's quite old enough to be considered for the "Retro PES" thread, right? All the conversation in there right now ranges from PES 5 to PES 2008 - and I consider retro PES to be everything from the original games up to PES 2013, I think.

(2014 was the "let's try something a little more serious" game, which for me marks the start of a new PES era which separates it from the "retro" years.)

Anyway, I thought it deserved a thread for some discussion on its own. It's getting a few mentions from long-time PES fans on Twitter at the moment:

There are features that I, shamefully, didn't even know about, like being able to use R3 to shoulder-barge people:

And having played a few games over the weekend on PS3, I'm really surprised at how playable it is compared to the newer games. For example, I struggle to enjoy PES 2013 as much (which is one of my favourites) because it just feels a little too on-rails. Now PES 2014 is definitely stiff-feeling, and laggy in certain situations...

...but seriously, there are situations where the response time of the player is faster than it is on 2020. I'm not saying it's a more responsive game overall, but I've managed a few quick-turns and scored a few BEAUTIFUL goals (which reminds me, the variance in shot power and trajectories seems better too) where I know for a fact on PES 2020 there would have been a delay in registering my input.

There are also other things it does better than PES 2020 (and I swear it's not an exaggeration). The atmosphere, for one. It's real crowd noise, real chants - not the weird "pseudo-chanting" that's in the modern games, where (it sounds like) they take a few people in a sound studio and add reverb x100 to it, to make it sound like a crowd.

And the pass assist... My God, the pass assist. I mean, if you love a serious football game, but you don't like fully-manual (because it lessens the impact of player attributes, or because it makes great players mishit the most ridiculously simple passes) - this is probably the best bit. TheTrueBrits touches on it here:

In all modern football games, on PA1 or the equivalent in FIFA, I'm so used to having the ball in the middle of the pitch, facing towards the goal, having a winger making a run down the right flank (at a 45-degree angle to my player) and just pushing straight down (90-degree angle) and pressing "pass", or "through-pass", to play a ball to that guy. The game knows who I mean, he's the only player over there.

In this, every single time I do that (and it's a lot), I just pass the ball straight out of play. Which makes me realise just how dumbed-down modern football games are, and how I've been trained to be incredibly lazy with my input.

The best bit...? I had the controls set to PA2 from the last time I played the game, and didn't realise it until I went into the controls thinking "I must have this on manual, I'm doing terribly"... :D

Tactically - oh my God. Remember the "combination play" stuff?

Nowadays we've got "advanced instructions", but honestly, they pale in comparison to this stuff, right?
But the general strategy sliders are still here, just like in 2020:

maxresdefault.jpg

Now, the real reasons I started this thread...

Firstly. It's taken me until today to realise that the World Challenge DLC, which I assumed was just some rubbishy "take on international teams in a league and it's all a bit silly but hey it's new content" thing (something they did on PSP at one point, am I remembering that correctly)...

...is actually a fully-featured World Cup mode with qualification included. How did I not know this (or if I did, how did I forget it)...?

Okay, the qualification structure isn't the same as real-life:

e8gq3aa.png

But even so. How many football games have a mode that takes you through international cup qualification before reaching the finals, apart from the official World Cup games (going back to the all-time classic FIFA 98: Road To World Cup)?

Secondly... Does anybody know the answer to this (I've Googled it but I can't find a satisfactory answer)...
Does PES 2014 on PC have the same gameplay as the PS3 version?

Because, I'm really enjoying the PS3 game (and luckily enough, seeing as the game updates etc. aren't available for it any more, I've still got the last update installed for it alongside a really good option file with everything fixed)... But man oh man, the PS3 could NOT cope with the graphics engine, could it?

How did it get past Sony certification with the frame-rate in cut-scenes and replays? We're talking 10fps in places!
I used to play PES 14 BAL alot miss those days

Personally, I never quite liked the Fox Engine. Not just because of the story behind its usage on PES, but also because the players look pretty bizarre. They hit some point of the uncanny valley that I can't define, even though the players who have real faces do look like they do IRL (arguably even more than FIFA), but even they are subject to it (like Rio Ferdinand there on the TTB video - what the frick is that?!).
But yeah, in the end PES 2014's sins are all in the graphics. Konami could maybe have done like FIFA, keep the old engine for the seventh-gen versions and save the Fox for the eighth-gen, because the final result made it clear they should have refined it for PS3/X360 and PC, which I believe was based off those versions (like FIFA 14, in fact). I do enjoy that they finally allowed us to manage national teams on Master League, which adds a new dimension to the game while also making it more realistic that we have international competitions and friendly dates running in parallel. Speaking of, the World Challenge mode is pretty neat too, it's something they shouldn't have ditched in the first place. A pity only that it's DLC, thus unobtainable now (unless it comes with this package).

To make revive that thread, there's an interesting patch released for PC.
It was created in August then i checked from the guys who provided the patch if there was any update. I found 2 news, based on the current season. As PES 2014 are so rare to found, and never complete, that one would fit...
But i didn't tried it already, got some issue with PES 14, needs to reinstall all + that patch.

Base patch (+15 stadiums, all teams covered and new kits, Faces remade and pretty accurate look at the vids CR7 for example etc.)

February 2022 update / no idea if it just an O.F.
IMPORTANT : the links redirect to a forbidden access. just discovered it. all the others are ok.
I sent him a message, let's see. But i see in the adress bar the "mediafire" link with some wrong character, not a trap then.

And the last they did (until know) a Face Pack (released 3 weeks ago : so i suppose they will continue to update it)

I'm interested from the database, stats, face remade and stats, more than for the rest.
Will install it later, i got others thing i'm busy about it and i will install it later.
Whatever like i said to @Chris Davies (i would like what you think if about that patch if you install it mate), it's more a nostalgic game than one you will do 10 season on ML..

Just to said : it's not like a PS2 old school game, which still games which are still there and resisted to every generations : let's say not a "timeless" game.

Exhibition games time to time, or some cup, is what i plan to do with that version.

Last edited:
Hi guys! Does anyone has the PTE World Cup 2014 v1 and v2 patches? Apparently, those were graphics mods for the PTE patch, but for the looks of it, all the links for that one, are dead. Is sad that there isn't any 2014 world cup theme patch working. I know someone posted some posts ago, but i am not really fan of russian leagues and stuff lol

The game is fun, it has it's good and it's bad. The gameplay is a bit slow, but nothing that the speed thing option cannot fix. I'm really liking the PTE patch. Seems like the best one. It just need the World Cup atmosphere for more pleasure and nostalgia.

Hi guys! Does anyone has the PTE World Cup 2014 v1 and v2 patches? Apparently, those were graphics mods for the PTE patch, but for the looks of it, all the links for that one, are dead. Is sad that there isn't any 2014 world cup theme patch working. I know someone posted some posts ago, but i am not really fan of russian leagues and stuff lol

The game is fun, it has it's good and it's bad. The gameplay is a bit slow, but nothing that the speed thing option cannot fix. I'm really liking the PTE patch. Seems like the best one. It just need the World Cup atmosphere for more pleasure and nostalgia.
What'sthe difference, between this and PTE final patch 7?

What'sthe difference, between this and PTE final patch 7?

First of all, thanks for uploading the patch man.

The patch is amazing. But i feel is more a 2015 patch rather than a 2014 season. Like Belgium for example has their 2015 kits and not their world cup one etc from what i saw. And the transfers are all post world cup.

I tried the FirePatch and PesGalaxy posted in this thread too, but i don't know if i am just dumb, or they mess up the Libertadores 2014

And about the difference, that one i mentioned is just a graphic mod with the world cup theme, just that.

First of all, thanks for uploading the patch man.

The patch is amazing. But i feel is more a 2015 patch rather than a 2014 season. Like Belgium for example has their 2015 kits and not their world cup one etc from what i saw. And the transfers are all post world cup.

I tried the FirePatch and PesGalaxy posted in this thread too, but i don't know if i am just dumb, or they mess up the Libertadores 2014

And about the difference, that one i mentioned is just a graphic mod with the world cup theme, just that.
That's the issue : didn't found any patch from 2013-14 season.

Except PESEDIT i got (a previous version > they said "last from the 13/14 season" but nothing edited for PAS and PLA league unfortunately, just the 2nd divisions. The thing is i loved their stats and i compared with for example a player from PES 2013 they've done which appears on PES 2014 (ps2) etc. And it was really close in global terms (OVR) but also strenght/weaknesses.

I remember having recopied all their Bundes on my PS3 version for PES 2014. For the rest : i took PES 2013 stats and make the calculations for ATT/DEF/BallW.

So now i think to install another patch, i tried the one i sent a link but too much errors. Then i retried the previous one (the 21-22 was based 20-21 version... Based on the original 19/20 patch lol) and same issues. And the stats are a bit fucked up, especially balance/physical contact conversion.

No even if would love to have something accurate for the 13-14 season, for how much i play... Will try that one 19-20, hope stats are messed up with Balance/Physical contact like the other one. Graphically he looks great, presentation etc.

https://www.pesnewupdate.com/2020/03/pes-2014-zut-patch-new-version.html

Hey guys! I'm about to try PES 2014 PC for the first time, after reading some of you guys' reviews and opinions in this thread, decided to give it a try with
Fire Patch! Will probably post my opinions on the game later, but from the looks of it I think I'm going to enjoy it. :TU:
Where did you find it? Couldnt download the link for PES 2014 but I want to try it as well

Hi guys,

Firt of all, sorry if some of my questions here have already been answered, but I still haven´t read the whole thread yet.

I always wanted to give PES 2014 a go and just found this amazing thread here. The game actually suprised me, because I had a memory of it being much more limited in terms of gameplay variation, specially when shooting. After a few very pleasing friendly matches I decided to download a patch and give the game a real chance.

That´s when things got a little tricky for me. I downloaded Fire Patch which worked well but requires a lot of editing before it becomes playable for me. Too many generic faces, shirts tucked in, etc. So I decided to download Galaxy Patch and that one didn´t work, as it either freezes of shut down while "establishing connection". Tried disconnecting, removing read-only status from files and neither of those solutions worked. Anyone know what this could be related to?

I see people recommending PESEDIT and PTE Patch aswell, are those better in terms of quantity of players appearances edited (either ingame editor or external faces)? I am trying to avoid PESEDIT mainly because it´s not compatible to latest patch, which I assume is the best gameplay experiece available..

Thanks guys

Bros, I'm getting this message when I try to play with PTE patch (bought my copy of PES 2014 off a key site). I applied the patch, followed all instructions and the edit file won't load. Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

1665434235807.png

Bros, I'm getting this message when I try to play with PTE patch (bought my copy of PES 2014 off a key site). I applied the patch, followed all instructions and the edit file won't load. Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

View attachment 181879
Well it is pretty obvious what it happens. It is literally stated in the message.

The PTE patch has the World Cup dlc i assume, and your pes 2014 is the vanilla version? Without DLC?

My PES 2014 is version 1.16, data pack 7.00, which I believe are the latest ones.. yet the message still appears. I've resinstalled the game and the patch several times yet I'm not able to solve this issue..

1665435204247.png

My PES 2014 is version 1.16, data pack 7.00, which I believe are the latest ones.. yet the message still appears. I've resinstalled the game and the patch several times yet I'm not able to solve this issue..

View attachment 181881
yes mate. I assume the DLC, since it's Santa Klaus version, has a date in the past, while your game data being legit, has a creation date of today.

Does the game use Steam?

No bro.. The key site just let me download the installer without steam..
So long story short. What i would try.

If your Windows allow it, and the installer you have, does work offline.

1) Uninstall game

2) Turn off the internet

3) Reverse your PC clock/date to a "legit" 2014 date, pre paid-DLC.

4) Install game

5) Run game, enter edit mode, save in order to create data.

6) Install patch.

7) Play-check.

8) Turn on the Internet.

_________

Short story, long, just install a Santa Klaus version of the game.

Back
Top Bottom