PES 2011 Discussion thread

We use to beat them in every review. Im sure we will get close if not beat them this time. Im certain next year PES will win back the majority of its fans.

Critical acclaim is one thing, but fan acclaim is just as important. Pes's popularity will grow again this year from word of mouth.

2 points is nothing really. I will play both. But i prefer pes 10 to fifa 10 and fifa WC. I prefer the pc version of pes might i add so i can slow the game speed down. When will we see the reviews?

Last edited:
Predictions guys. Will PES 11 take the best reviews next month? Will it review better than fifa 11?

No, I don't think it will review better than Fifa. The games media has a love affair with Fifa at the moment and talk about the game as if it has no faults. I expect more of the same this year. Perhaps when PES2012 comes out the reviews will be more favourable, but unfortunately I think PES2011 will be scored down because the last few years have tarnished the brand and also because it doesn't move as fluidly as, or have the animations of Fifa, and lacks all the licenses and stadia. That's what seems to be more important to the masses.

I expect Fifa11 to get low 90's and PES2011 to get mid-high 80's.

No, I don't think it will review better than Fifa. The games media has a love affair with Fifa at the moment and talk about the game as if it has no faults. I expect more of the same this year. Perhaps when PES2012 comes out the reviews will be more favourable, but unfortunately I think PES2011 will be scored down because the last few years have tarnished the brand and also because it doesn't move as fluidly as, or have the animations of Fifa, and lacks all the licenses and stadia. That's what seems to be more important to the masses.

I expect Fifa11 to get low 90's and PES2011 to get mid-high 80's.

This. Games journalism will rank PES above FIFA not when it plays the better game of football but when it provides the better overall package including the football. That's not how we roll here or on other hardcore-centric forums.

Hands up who listens to reviews about something like football games anymore? Judging a year of play off the opinions of someone who doesn't take a particular interest in football games, who has only had, what, a week of intermittent play time besides the odd preview or hands-on?

For me both games will get the review scores based on there merits much as they did last year.

Like it or lump it pes2010 was hardly konamis finest hour and while it certainly had its strengths its gameplay was very mediocre against fifa10 and FWC despite having more tactical depth and a better foothold on realism and the nuances of real football.Problem was this didnt transcend to the level of control you got with your controller or the reaction of the 22 protagnists on the pitch and while some will state fifa got the accolades due to its superior animation and licensing for me there was more to fifa10s bow then just fancy cosmetics.

Im not flaming because my love affair with konami and ISS/PES goes back to the days of the NES and the opus ISS games on the n64 which still occupy my thoughts daily.

It was never a conspiracy by the media last year more a reflection of facts and how one product was stuck in a vacumm while the other was pushing the technical envelope and offering a greater degree of control and precision more akin to the heady days of konami through the mid to late ninties with the sublime ISS series.

This has changed this year though,konami have finally got there act together and if pes2011 is good enough it will get the credit it deserves both from the fans and media.

It always was and always will be about gameplay,gameplay,gameplay!!!

Last edited:
Just from what I've seen and heard I'll be getting PES this year, leagues or not, it may not end up being my main Football game but it looks a big step forward for KONAMI, no matter what score the reviewers throw at it...

Great couple of posts above me.

I'll be getting PES. Anybody who plays real footy HAS to be interested in the game. Even even an armchair fan can see the merits of the kind of game Konami is attempting to build born out on the screen. The variety of goals is refreshing.

Has any more come of this talk about pressure sensitive dribbling system in the final code? I believe it was from something Asim Tanvir posted after playing code behind closed doors.

Great couple of posts above me.

I'll be getting PES. Anybody who plays real footy HAS to be interested in the game. Even even an armchair fan can see the merits of the kind of game Konami is attempting to build born out on the screen. The variety of goals is refreshing.

Sure their passing system is a great idea, but if the goalies and the rainbow trick bs is still there, kinda kills the whole concept. No matter the merits of the concept. 60 bucks is 60 bucks

Why do people think keepers cannot peform tricks. Players at the top level are very telented. Alot of keepers can do ronaldinho style tricks.

Last edited:
There already way ahead of last year and this game has already gone gold,you dont release a product at the end of september if your still tweaking in late august.

so PES 2011 is coming next month? :CONFUSE: Thats like 2 months early ?

Dear almighty brussel sprout, please tell me that there is a way to stop the trio of Cronaldo, Ibrahimovic and Messi, I used to be able to holdout against them but they seem to have improved their " run-with-one-player-to-the-sideline-and-square-or-shoot-from-angles-till my fucking legs fall off" gameplay style. I hope the final code is not as heavily in favour of these players as the beta is. Even when I get a touch on the ball it lands in their paths again.

Then I get a message saying Great work when they score this way.

Why do people think keepers cannot peform tricks. Players at the top level are very telented. Alot of keepers can do ronaldinho style tricks.

You are correct of course, though it's just really unlikely any goalkeeper would perform an rainbow flick during a match. Konami would be better off with just not allowing tricks like that in the game in my opinion.

Or just have a system Konami used in the past where you had to have a certain rank of stat to perform a 'flip-flap' for example.

Dear almighty brussel sprout, please tell me that there is a way to stop the trio of Cronaldo, Ibrahimovic and Messi, I used to be able to holdout against them but they seem to have improved their " run-with-one-player-to-the-sideline-and-square-or-shoot-from-angles-till my fucking legs fall off" gameplay style. I hope the final code is not as heavily in favour of these players as the beta is. Even when I get a touch on the ball it lands in their paths again.

This is why for me the covering and tracking defensive system has to be effective in the final product so a skilled player with a lesser team can counter the stronger teams and players with skill,judgement and timing.I havent a problem with people opening me up through playing clever football or my errors as this is how it should be but if they have a advantage regardless of there skill level just because they have some of the best forwards in the world the game will be unbalanced much like the last three years.

The top players should only be as effective as the person using them and how they take advantage of the way these players make themselves space,read the game off the ball and exploit any time and space there given,not,the paper,scissors,stone effect.

There has to be way to counter tricksters and players with pace,whethers thats through reading danger,doubling up on them or having the subtlety of control to counter there ability effectively.

For me its all about getting the perfect equilibrium in the ai so the that you have a perfect polarity both offensively and defensively.This is something ISS on the n64 always had and even pes on the ps2 to a degree,its what makes a game great and provides depth and longevity.

Last edited:
BTW, has somebody asked Jon Murphy what is true about the earlier release date of 14 september? I have no Twitter, else I would have done it.

This is why for me the covering and tracking defensive system has to be effective in the final product so a skilled player with a lesser team can counter the stronger teams and players with skill,judgement and timing.I havent a problem with people opening me up through playing clever football or my errors as this is how it should be but if they have a advantage regardless of there skill level just because they have some of the best forwards in the world the game will be unbalanced much like the last three years.

The top players should only be as effective as the person using them and how they take advantage of the way these players make themselves space,read the game off the ball and exploit any time and space there given,not,the paper,scissors,stone effect.

There has to be way to counter tricksters and players with pace,whethers thats through reading danger,doubling up on them or having the subtlety of control to counter there ability effectively.

For me its all about getting the perfect equilibrium of the ai so the that you have a perfect polarity both offensively and defensively.

Amen to that.

I dont think we will have a problem to cope with this style of play once the full game is released. I can see what Konami are striving to achieve to eliminate this issue, and I'm certain they will give us the tools to cope. Like I said before, it's a double-edged sword when you focus primarily on a stat based game. The worlds best players will always be a real handful to deal with, it's par for the course. You can't have it both ways, for every poor player there has to be a polar opposite to make it work.

Seabass specifically highlighted this issue in the studio tour, he recognises it, and devised a system to cope with it. I have no doubt he will achieve this, he's a genius when he's on his game, and with PES 2011, he is definately on his fucking game.

Amen to that.

I dont think we will have a problem to cope with this style of play once the full game is released. I can see what Konami are striving to achieve to eliminate this issue, and I'm certain they will give us the tools to cope. Like I said before, it's a double-edged sword when you focus primarily on a stat based game. The worlds best players will always be a real handful to deal with, it's par for the course. You can't have it both ways, for every poor player there has to be a polar opposite to make it work.

Seabass specifically highlighted this issue in the studio tour, he recognises it, and devised a system to cope with it. I have no doubt he will achieve this, he's a genius when he's on his game, and with PES 2011, he is definately on his fucking game.

Just what i wanted to hear,thanks jimmy.

Last edited:

I've had the exact same experience, including the 'great work' message (several times) after every cutback goal. Could be the same person? I mean ripping up the wings with Ronaldo and Messi and cutting inside for an easy lay off to Ibra on the penalty spot is not 'great work'.:RANT:

Another favourite of the exploit crowd is the ground pass corner kick to the man by the near post who will then flick it towards a player on the penalty spot for an easy tap in.

Seriously, the new defensive system needs to give the player some way to combat these dubious tactics. Konami need to nail the stand-off defending otherwise PES2011 could become an offline only game for me.

I've had the exact same experience, including the 'great work' message (several times) after every cutback goal. Could be the same person? I mean ripping up the wings with Ronaldo and Messi and cutting inside for an easy lay off to Ibra on the penalty spot is not 'great work'.:RANT:

Another favourite of the exploit crowd is the ground pass corner kick to the man by the near post who will then flick it towards a player on the penalty spot for an easy tap in.

Seriously, the new defensive system needs to give the player some way to combat these dubious tactics. Konami need to nail the stand-off defending otherwise PES2011 could become an offline only game for me.

If you dont join PEEL, thus taking this issue completely out of the equation, then not only do I have no sympathy for you James, I also will drive down to Ipswich, and personally throw you in the River Orwell. :)

If you dont join PEEL, thus taking this issue completely out of the equation, then not only do I have no sympathy for you James, I also will drive down to Ipswich, and personally throw you in the River Orwell. :)

Well, when you put it like that. Actually I did used to play in an organised league (Pro Evo Network, now Complete Gaming Network) which was quite good fun, but even then there was still plenty of exploiters using cutbacks and switching all their defenders to CB's, making themselves impenetrable. These guys were frowned upon but nothing was done about them.

I only pulled after the abortion of a game that was PES2008.

Back
Top Bottom