PES 2009 General Discussion Etc. (STRICTLY NO FIFA TALK OR POLITICAL CHAT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PES 2009 News, Discussion and Rumours

Did they do anything about the coaches/benches? I want to see the coach's faces & not some random balded headed guy for all the teams or the guy with the mustache.

Also, the players on the bench should start warming up & cheer for the team-mates.

@Jflores I remember 15 October being mentioned.
I see alot of talk about pes5 and WE9 but I always felt that these games though solid on defense lacked the ability to open my defense up as well as......wait for it.....PES 2008. I do suspect that this is due to my defenders poor AI on PES2008. The CB and SB seem to pull wide when the COM pushes up wide leaving holes in the middle.

Last edited:

Also, the players on the bench should start warming up & cheer for the team-mates.

That would be a great addition, but before that they should make the players and coaches on the bench follow the ball and not stare down the middle of the pitch for the whole game like statues.

Don't think there's one.

Found it. Play-Asia link: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-45-49-en-70-1sr4.html

paOS-01-49-en-70-1sr4.html

The problem with Konami is that they don't know how to play the expectation game. This is compounded by them going up against a game backed by EA, a company that releases a dozen sport games a year. Konami, in comparison, have one successful football series, an unsuccessful one and a track and field game on the PS1.

In all honesty you should be pretty pumped for Fifa right about now, that's why they direct so much money into marketing. If you weren't excited than that would be a pretty ominous sign.

After watching Fifa slowly adapt over the past 10 years, to see people write off Pro Evo after one off colour game seems a bit premature to me.

Libero Grande occupied a large portion of my childhood.

Actually, Konami churn out their fair share of baseball titles in Japan, which happen to be very good.

Yes, which is fine considering they are catering to their home crowd.

EA are selling their shit to the world and have gotten good at it.

Yes, which is fine considering they are catering to their home crowd.

EA are selling their shit to the world and have gotten good at it.

I got the last Pro Yakyu game, and it's excellent.

There's good and bad about the Konami approach compared to that of EA, but definitely more good. Japanese companies tend to make games to cater to a market which values good gameplay over everything else, whereas EA market to the US style, hype, gimmicks and sales over everything else.

I'm trying not to get sucked into posting about PES2009, or spending time looking for information on the game. I'm failing in this.

I guess I'm hopeful with this year's release - in years past I was expectant - but it's still Konami, the company that brought us ISS and PES. They revolutionized their game before, with great success, and it's time they did it again.

The Pawa Pro Baseball games are utterly brilliant. The US versions called MLB Power Pros come out on PS2 and Wii. I used to play the Wii version often. It had so many game modes and it was officially licensed too. I hope they release one on the PS3 soon.

The Pawa Pro Baseball games are utterly brilliant. The US versions called MLB Power Pros come out on PS2 and Wii. I used to play the Wii version often. It had so many game modes and it was officially licensed too. I hope they release one on the PS3 soon.

Not to get off topic, but I thought that was on released.

Back to Pro Evolution chatter...

Ok anyone got any thoughts on OPM not having any PES feature/news/preview?

Everyone was anticipating some news in this months edition of OPM. Quite simply there's nothing there. No reason why, or a note to apologise.

It's kinda odd with the magazine promising 'PES 2009 facts' in the issue?

Worse case scenario is that this hints towards Konami having decided to cut their losses by eliminating any further exposure of the game, following the negative impact of the trailer and screenshots.

On the contrary, EA seems to be confident as ever, letting almost anyone handle the game, post videos, do conferences...etc

But sure it is possible they just want to wow us with a brilliant game in Leizpig.

But I fear it's another sign that this year's game has 'mediocre' written all over it. And again, after people buy it, and play it again, we'll say wait for the revolution next year. And again, Seabass will make a statement that the game isn't how he wanted it to be, and that he is working on a complete overhaul for PES2010 which has been in development since 1982....etc

Sorry fellas, but ugly/poor games resort to these tactics. If indeed that is what Konami are doing... hope I'm wrong.

EA are confident because their game is improving

I used to hate fifa and pro evo was the only game i ever played, i basically bought my ps3 when pes2008 was released and it turned out to be awful

i was in a way forced to play fifa because i love footy games and it took me ages to adjust because i wasn't playing the game like fifa but pro evo...and now iv'e been playing fifa solidly i can appreciate what it has to offer

but deep down i feel a sense of loyalty towards pro evo and fingers crossed pes2009 will be a step in the right direction, but konami are being pretty secretive so maybe not

Konami Announces Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 for a fall 2008 release in North America

Konami Announces Pro Evolution Soccer 2009
Submitted on: August 5 2008 by Steve Noah
World's Best-Selling Soccer Video Game Franchise Coming This Fall To The PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360®, PC-DVD, PlayStation®2, and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system

Argentinean Forward Lionel Messi To Be Face Of The
Latest Edition Of The World's Best-Selling Soccer Video Game Series

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. - August 5, 2008 GOOOOOALLLL! Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc., today announced it will release Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 in North America for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, and PC DVD-ROM. Slated for a fall 2008 release Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 combines the attention to detail that has been the series' hallmark with extensive new additions that are certain to cement the franchise's reputation as the world's definitive soccer title for any format.

Known by millions of fans for its superior gameplay and incredible realism, PES 2009 will further bridge the gap between PES and the real thing. The game has undergone a stunning graphical update to ensure its players look more like their real-life counterparts. Similarly, all-new options allow users to tailor the game to their own tastes, while new stylish moves, innovative control schemes and key online elements further the realism.

Adding to the authenticity, Argentinean forward Lionel Messi will be the face of the latest version of the multi-million selling Pro Evolution Soccer series. Regarded as one of the most exciting talents of the modern game, the 21-year-old is a ever-present fixture on both the Argentinean national team and his club team, FC Barcelona. Having played for Argentinean and Spanish youth reserve teams since he was five, Messi ultimately became the youngest player ever to compete in the top Spanish league during October 2004. Since then, he has led FC Barcelona to the 2005-06 UEFA Champions League title, was named SI Latino's World Player of the Year in 2007, and has been runner-up to prestigious awards including the France Football Player of the Year, and the World Soccer Footballer of the Year. As part of the deal, Messi will appear on the packaging and point-of-sale materials for Pro Evolution Soccer 2009.

"Most modern players are aware of the realism and skill of the Pro Evolution Soccer series," commented Messi. "It is a game that truly mirrors the pace and control of real football, and as a die-hard fan of the series, I am delighted to be working with Konami on the latest version."

"Pro Evolution Soccer has always been the game of choice for soccer enthusiasts due to its ultra realism and superior gameplay and there is no player in the world more suited to be on the box than the talented forward from Barcelona, Lionel Messi," said Anthony Crouts, Vice President of Marketing for Konami Digital Entertainment. "Lionel is one of the most exciting and accomplished players in the world and we look forward to working very closely with him to promote the most advanced PES title ever developed."

PES 2009 will be released for PlayStation®3, PlayStation®2, Xbox 360®, PC-DVD, and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) in Autumn 2008.
http://www.operationsports.com/pressview.php?id=67

Looks like the same text as the one from august 1st on the Konami-website...

http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=14815 an article here

Whilst EA has been pretty vocal on the new additions and enhancements to its FIFA series , Konami has remained tight-lipped leaving fans curious as to how the franchise will evolve this year.

Konami has yesterday confirmed that Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 will be released this Autumn on PS3, PS2, Xbox 360 , PSP and PC. It has also stated yesterday that there will be "extensive new additions that are certain to cement the franchise’s reputation as the world’s definitive soccer title for any format."

Konami believe this year that it has bridged the gap even further between PES and the real thing, which includes a major graphical update to ensure its players look more like their real-life counterparts.

Similarly, all-new options allow users to tailor the game to their own tastes, while new stylish moves, innovative control schemes and key online elements.

We'll be expecting in-depth details soon.

Last week, Konami also confirmed that Argentinean forward Lionel Messi will be the face of the latest version of the Pro Evolution Soccer series. Regarded as one of the most exciting talents of the modern game, the 21-year-old is a ever-present fixture on both the Argentinean national team and his club team, FC Barcelona. He has led FC Barcelona to the 2005-06 UEFA Champions League title, was named SI Latino’s World Player of the Year in 2007, and has been runner-up to prestigious awards including the France Football Player of the Year, and the World Soccer Footballer of the Year. As part of the deal, Messi will appear on the packaging and point-ofsale materials for Pro Evolution Soccer 2009.

Ok anyone got any thoughts on OPM not having any PES feature/news/preview?

Everyone was anticipating some news in this months edition of OPM. Quite simply there's nothing there. No reason why, or a note to apologise.

It's kinda odd with the magazine promising 'PES 2009 facts' in the issue?

Worse case scenario is that this hints towards Konami having decided to cut their losses by eliminating any further exposure of the game, following the negative impact of the trailer and screenshots.

On the contrary, EA seems to be confident as ever, letting almost anyone handle the game, post videos, do conferences...etc

But sure it is possible they just want to wow us with a brilliant game in Leizpig.

But I fear it's another sign that this year's game has 'mediocre' written all over it. And again, after people buy it, and play it again, we'll say wait for the revolution next year. And again, Seabass will make a statement that the game isn't how he wanted it to be, and that he is working on a complete overhaul for PES2010 which has been in development since 1982....etc

Sorry fellas, but ugly/poor games resort to these tactics. If indeed that is what Konami are doing... hope I'm wrong.

I wouldn't take this as such an omen. You have the right to be pessimistic, but instead of reading this as "No info means this game will be mediocre, and Konami is cutting their losses knowing that the game is bad", you can also read it as "OPM was pulling our leg, and managed to fool a few into buying it with no info". :) I mean, magazines usually resort to these lame tactics just to get people to buy the magazines hoping to get some info. Last year's PSM3 coverage was the same. One month they said that the next month would have info, then it had rumors only - with that famous photo of Espinas in the press conference. I still remember when I bought PSM or OPM (don't recall) just to find out that they had the PES2 intro video on the DVD...

Saying that Konami is cutting their losses after the negative reception to the trailer is a bit out of touch with reality. The trailer has been out for 6 days. The magazine issue must have been closed around that time, I'd say. It needs to be printed and shipped, right? There wouldn't be time for such a tight manoueuvre there.

Either way, since Konami cannot determine what info or not the magazine publishes, so if they really wanted to speak of the rumors circling around, or simply showing some pictures and try to infer what they meant - a la PSM3 last year - I'm pretty sure they'd have been able to. After all, there has been official info about the game since July 1st.

My bet is that they were counting on showing the trailer, but the trailer didn't come out on time for them to put in the disc.

Best regards,

Paulo Tavares

Last edited:

I don't think if its fair to say the trailer was met negatively. Maybe on EvoWeb it was, but elsewhere it might be seen as mouth-watering.

Ok, a bit of news that I'm not sure someone has posted before:

This year's Leipzig schedule should be:

09:00 : Electronic Arts
10:00 : Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH
11:00 : Ubisoft
12:00 : Disney Interactive Studios
13:00 : Koch Media / Deep Silver
14:00 : Activision
15:00 : Atari
15:00 : Midway Games
17:00 : Sony Computer Entertainment Germany

This is all for August, 20th.

Source : http://www.gc-germany.com/uploads/3636260b71e4d217da249590275a7ad8.pdf

Back to our regular programs now. :)

I'll try to bring over some info / rumors whenever I bump into some around the internet. The WearePES forums - props to TG and KAiWAi - are full of people talking about the game, and a couple of guys who have the beta post there sometimes. Even though they are not allowed to talk about the betas, whenever I see something worth mentioning, I'll bring it over, since those forums are french - if TG doesn't mind, of course.

Also, we used to have someone who used to get his hands on the betas... Anyone remembers who? Was it Riot? Doesn't he post here any more?

Cheers,

Paulo Tavares

P.S. - I'm with Milanista on the trailer reception. As I said before, I didn't dislike the trailer, it got me hyped for the game. I'm pretty sure that the trailer was not badly received.

Last edited:

If it was viewed first time, the trailer would indeed have looked awesome,
but for hardcore fans who went and analyzed the trailer, they would agree that
the trailer was pretty much lame(the way it was put together) with the focus on Messi here and there.

But there are positives to be taken out, like the skills and animations.
It was more of teaser tbh. Since they wanted to focus only on Messi, making him pop up everywhere.

That photo fooled me, I was thinking we could do interviews like FM.

Thats konami marketing for you, the same as this;

The game has undergone a stunning graphical update to ensure its players look more like their real-life counterparts.

They have added extra contrast and shading. I remember them having "massively improved masterleague" for pes5. They added a more detailed development chart!

Konami have a history of bullsh$t pr.

Thats konami marketing for you, the same as this;

They have added extra contrast and shading. I remember them having "massively improved masterleague" for pes5. They added a more detailed development chart!

Konami have a history of bullsh$t pr.
I have to say that on this moment it looks like Konami's PR is non-existent for factual news this year...

I have never ever read a press release, with good reason.

Trailer Highlights:

1. The rigid diagonal longpass @ 0:20. Still 8-way passing? Also that longpass animation looks really funky, and still the same from PES2008.

2. The defender that stops dead and let's Messi score the goal.

I don't really understand how this is supposed to promote the game tbh. I suppose fans are supposed to be so busy watching Messi's face that they overlook studying the rest of the footage. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom