[Next Gen] Fifa 14 - General Discussion

Yes, I would say that:

Are all very much clearly trolling statements.

Your defender of the realm stance is beyond pathetic. Whenever someone says anything negative you react with these shitty comments.

How can expressing my opinion on a game I played and sold for the exact reasons be trolling?

Geez bro I am sure he will still buy it try not to pop an artery

NG FIFA 14 is a flawed game, sometimes infuriatingly so, but it's also the best FIFA to date, clearly the best football game since PES on the PS2 days, and arguably the best football game of all.

You'll have to play it for yourself to figure out exactly where it falls for you, though I can assure you that it's not "rubbish" like some of the harshest critics in here make it out to be.

Your defender of the realm stance is beyond pathetic. Whenever someone says anything negative you react with these shitty comments.

How can expressing my opinion on a game I played and sold for the exact reasons be trolling?

Geez bro I am sure he will still buy it try not to pop an artery

Maybe it's because you go so ridiculously overboard with your negative opinions?

And maybe it's also because you not only exaggerate profusely when it comes to the game, but also when it comes to the game's fans, with your "defender of the realm" rubbish (or me working for EA), and trying to claim Placebo never agrees with any negative criticism, which is just a straight-up lie. If that's not trolling, I don't know what is.

Lol talking about trolls residing under the bridge.

Welcome mfmax. I see nothing much happens in this thread until there is negativity and the defenders of the EArth pitch up.

I said the game is rubbish and not worth getting. You go ahead and explain how that is profuse.

Infact I Popped into this thread by chance answered a question and Placebo calls me troll.I stayed away from here for days after your last debacle.

You people need to seriously take a long hard look at yourself. If you arent employed by EA you even more pathetic

It sounds obvious but it depends if you enjoy the FIFA series or not. If you do, absolutely get the game when you find a PS4. It's by far and away the best FIFA game ever made. I usually miles prefer PES but have been receptive to FIFA in the past, so I basically like both series of games. In my opinion this is miles better than previous FIFAs and certainly miles better than PES2014.

It's hard to answer that...

I honestly think I enjoy any football game that is fun, challenging (in a good way) and that has a reasonable sense of realism. These three key words (fun, challenging, realism)combined are very hard to find in a football game these days.

The last Fifa I owned was Fifa 12 and I didn't like it to be honest, I got used to player's weightness in PES and the total lack of inertia.

People have been saying here that player's weightness and individuality were improved a lot (specially the latter), and that's very encouraging to get this Fifa 14.

Since I have not been playing football games for mmonths now (almost 1 year actually), I think I'll end up getting it.

Lol talking about trolls residing under the bridge.

Welcome mfmax. I see nothing much happens in this thread until there is negativity and the defenders of the EArth pitch up.

I said the game is rubbish and not worth getting. You go ahead and explain how that is profuse.

Infact I Popped into this thread by chance answered a question and Placebo calls me troll.I stayed away from here for days after your last debacle.

You people need to seriously take a long hard look at yourself. If you arent employed by EA you even more pathetic

It's quite unfortunate that instead of ever responding to anyone's counter arguments - like our specific responses in the past to why we disagree with your portrayal of certain features of the game, like individuality and momentum - that instead you always fall back on emotional and personal attacks.

It's also unfortunate that you don't see that you contribute little if nothing at all positive to this discussion, that all you ever have to contribute is negativity and vitriol, and yet you continue on.

And you say that it's us that should take a long hard look at ourselves. Right.

Last edited:
It's hard to answer that...

I honestly think I enjoy any football game that is fun, challenging (in a good way) and that has a reasonable sense of realism. These three key words (fun, challenging, realism)combined are very hard to find in a football game these days.

The last Fifa I owned was Fifa 12 and I didn't like it to be honest, I got used to player's weightness in PES and the total lack of inertia.

People have been saying here that player's weightness and individuality were improved a lot (specially the latter), and that's very encouraging to get this Fifa 14.

Since I have not been playing football games for mmonths now (almost 1 year actually), I think I'll end up getting it.

From that response I think you should.

I also wasn't very happy with FIFA 12. In fact, primarily because of a lack of momentum and realistic player movement, I felt that most FIFAs up until now failed to reach the potential that FIFA 07/08 promised.

There are still a lot of issues with this game, especially with the defensive side of things, and movement still has its flaws. If you approach this game looking for flaws, as it seems some in here do, then you're going to find them and you might be less than pleased. But if you come at it looking for a fun, challenging, and fairly realistic football game, like you suggest you're after, than I think you'll find that with NG FIfA.

Last edited:
Meh its rubbish save your money for 15.

We are a bit far from Fifa 15 release date, and as i said, it has been such a long time since the last time I playd a football game, so that's the main reason why I may end up buying it.

I will do the best I can to make it worth, and that means tweaking the game using the sliders.

I will try Placebo's sliders. I watched one of his videos and the gameplay seemed to be more unpredictable than ever on a Fifa game (good creating chances from any space on the pitch)

It's quite unfortunate that instead of ever responding to anyone's counter arguments - like our specific responses in the past to why we disagree with your portrayal of certain features of the game, like individuality and momentum - that instead you always fall back on emotional and personal attacks.

It's also unfortunate that you don't see that you contribute little if nothing at all positive to this discussion, that all you ever have to contribute is negativity and vitriol, and yet you continue on.

And you say that it's us that should take a long hard look at ourselves. Right.

Blah blah blah you are dangerously close to being the first person I block on an Internet forum.

Here's my impressions on an sa forum that I posted there back in December and not here because I was not waiting for the onslaught
Been playing footy games in earnest since FIFA 98/ISS 98

FIFA has always been an enjoyable, easy to pick up and play until, inevitably, the game showed its limitations on the pitch when the same patterns led to surefire ways to score. This prompted my move to the ISS/PES/WE series and I have never looked back only buying the odd FIFA to see the improvements.

When I bought FIFA 14 NG for PS4 I was sceptical of any major improvements that whould make me switch camp to EAs, fully lcensed juggernaut.

within minutes of booting up that belief was tested with awe inspring HD goodness

This game looks phenomenal! not quite NBA2k14 quality but full 1080p and 60fps is what football games were begging. Although PC players have this already theconsole players were stuck on 720 p
The player models - bye bye baboon walking man, the stadia, pitch texturs and 3D crowd look phenomenal. Sound is brilliant and the commentary gets updated almost daily so you sure to hear new soundbites when you boot up. This all adds to immersion we have not had on football games before - you would easily be mistaken for thinking you were tuned in to 213 on DSTV. The presentation reminded me of FIFA 10 WC game but at a much higher level.

The training modes and pre match minigames are superb and can easily eat into your playing time as you try to knock off your friends list standings. The formation screens are still the same but fast and seamless, unfortunately its sorely lacking in the ability to use tactical depth like PES has in this area.

Once the action starts on the pitch the new Impact engine shows its stuff with player movement and physics. Truth be told PES2014s FOX/Havok engine on the PS3 trumps EAs engine and this should be concerning for EA as they had the headstart. FIFA still lacks that randomness you should have in every sports game. A ball going out of play is always going to be met with a player sliding to keep it in with the same animation and outcome. You also never see a player lose balance and regain it or moments of randomness that you want to replay to see what you missed. The players arent AS floaty on the pitch and there is a somewhat superficial level of momentum and inertia on the players. If you for example run full throttle and decide to stop either to wrong foot a defender or stop a ball going out of play, there is no weight so you dont see a player lean back to regain his balance or tussle with a defender to keep control of it. Whilst it is slower than FIFA 13 I still felt the need to drop the pace to slow setting to accomodate my style of play.

Ball physics are not much better. I have not had a shot beat a keeper with swerve or even a deflection - it seems to follow a predetermined path regardless of who hit the ball or the spin or swerve. It does not feel like the ball is a free entity rather following a limtied script with few outcomes.

The AI is forgiving till you push it up to world class, difficulty where you will be crucified by great Opponent AI. This is an area FIFA have improved on - playing against, for example, Arsenal you could feel Wilkshere pulling the strings from the middle of the park and being a proper nuisance. The star players in the team have a impact on the game but again it seems more scripted than through their natural ability.

One of the absolute pillars of PES is its player individuality and team variation or playing styles.
When you play a game like Gran Turismo - you start off with a golf GTI did some mods and you could feel the power coming through, or take a ferarri to the track and feel added oomph it brought - bring on your Dodge viper and feel that immense power but unforgiving rear wheel drive as it caught some sand for your inevitable spinout.
FIFA robs you of this in its entirety - while small skilled players like Messi, Valbuena, Aguero, Iniesta and Neymar have good speed, there is no ball technique - they have the same touches as Busquets whilst dribbling, the same amount of burst when you sprint with the ball, the same amount of mometum when they turn with the ball and dribble with either foot regardless of the nature of their real life counterparts. For me this is a killer it absolutely kills my need to try and play with different teams and players looking for those hidden gems in world football.

PES through the years you would play a master league and found this gem of a player in South America called Riquelme and looked out for him IRL to see he eventually made a name for himself IRL. Its bizarre but ask any PES fan and they would know exactly what you mean.

Goal keepers are great when you play against them but ask your goal keeper to save a shot on world class and be dissappointed he wont help you - the ball seems destined to go to the back of your net regardless of what you do about it. They seem to parry into the dangerzone far too often and again the AI jumps in to create a goalmouth scramble rather than it happeingin by chance.

Online is absolutely butter cream smooth - I have NEVER experienced this level of lag free goodness on a football game before. The FUT is a huge mode that I honestly have no desire to play LOL but I can see the attraction. The lobbed throughball is everyones favourite party trick online which is dissappointing.

All in all, I do not think EA are trying to win anyone over with this game it is made for its fans and will attract the necessary revenue - what should concern EA is the lack of innovation, putting an HD coat on the same game is going to backfire on them at some point. This is the first outing on the next generation but I doubt I will see the changes I would want because, quite frankly this game isnt made for me. Its made for FIFA players who want immersion with what they see rather than what they play. The licenses they have will ensure they have market share but even that could come under strain in future.

I could go on for hours about FIFA and its strengths and another week about its weaknesses but from a PES fan this game gets a trophy for most improved. It gets a near perfect score for off the pitch stuff except the lack of tournament modes which IMO is ridiculous in a sports game. ON the pitch its very outdated and in my opinion a gamebreaker.

Final score
7/10 good game EA

PS I am still about for a game for those that have added me over the last few weeks.

Last edited:
From that response I think you should.

I also wasn't very happy with FIFA 12. In fact, primarily because of a lack of momentum and realistic player movement, I felt that most FIFAs up until now failed to reach the potential that FIFA 07/08 promised.

There are still a lot of issues with this game, especially with the defensive side of things, and movement still has its flaws. If you approach this game looking for flaws, as it seems some in here do, then you're going to find them and you might be less than pleased. But if you come at it looking for a fun, challenging, and fairly realistic football game, like you suggest you're after, than I think you'll find that with NG FIfA.

I think it's normal to expect some AI flaws here and there, programming AI is one of the hardest thing to do. I just want the defense Ai to be acceptable, that means, those flaws should not happen regularly.

I will defintely get Fifa 14 ng. The only reason I would not get one is if I don't find a PS4.:))

Zee

I will surely share some of my impressions when I get the game (that depends if i wil find a PS4 or not, but I think I hopefuly will), but I am not one those guys who accuraetly say how a game is in details, and dthere's some limitations in english language here :P

Last edited:
You people need to seriously take a long hard look at yourself.

That's rich!

Coming from the guy that doesn't like Fifa, doesn't play Fifa, sold his copy of Fifa, yet still reads the Fifa thread and jumps in to say how rubbish it is and nobody should buy it if they ask an opinion on it...

I think it's normal to expect some AI flaws here and there, programming AI is one of the hardest thing to do. I just want the defense Ai to be acceptable, that means, those flaws should not happen regularly.

I will defintely get Fifa 14 ng. The only reason I would not get one is if I don't find a PS4.:))

Zee

I will surely share some of my impressions when I get the game (that depends if i wil find a PS4 or not, but I think I hopefuly will), but I am not one those guys who accuraetly say how a game is in details, and dthere's some limitations in english language here :P
Good luck mate I hear they quite pricey in Brazil as well as being short on stock globally

Few guys here in SA are selling theirs at very good prices so try and see if there are any guys that may have bought on impulse

That's rich!

Coming from the guy that doesn't like Fifa, doesn't play Fifa, sold his copy of Fifa, yet still reads the Fifa thread and jumps in to say how rubbish it is and nobody should buy it if they ask an opinion on it...

Yeah I don't come around here since the last time but popped in and made
the mistake of making my opinion known. I will stay away though so no harm to EAs sales....as if

Good luck mate I hear they quite pricey in Brazil as well as being short on stock globally

Few guys here in SA are selling theirs at very good prices so try and see if there are any guys that may have bought on impulse

It's actually easy to find PS4 here exactly because it's very expensive, but people buy from others who get some units for a much cheaper price in Paraguay to re-sell (they try to cross the board without paying any tax lol).

I'll try to get one in the US (hopefully for 399 US dollars), I am going there tomorrow and should arrive there tuesday..

Blah blah blah you are dangerously close to being the first person I block on an Internet forum.

Here's my impressions on an sa forum that I posted there back in December and not here because I was not waiting for the onslaught

If your posts here were of the same quality as that, then you might not receive such an onslaught. And it's kinda strange giving a 7/10 "good game EA" score but then coming in here just stating that it's rubbish.

You make some good points though I disagree strongly with your interpretation of some things, like ball physics, individuality, and randomness.

But I won't waste time going into detail since once again you don't actually bother to respond to what I write and since your best interpretation of my words is blah blah blah.

I tried the Co-op camera set to full zoom and about 7 height, I really enjoyed it. It's a bit too far out to really enjoy the graphics but it has this nice pan and tilt effect when the play moves around, the game looks slower and you can see much more. Feels like a totally different game, it's weird.

Hi guys,

Whats the best camera settings to use to see a lot of the stadium. I know Broadcast is good, looks fantastic even but I find it hard to play that way.

I tried the Co-op camera set to full zoom and about 7 height, I really enjoyed it. It's a bit too far out to really enjoy the graphics but it has this nice pan and tilt effect when the play moves around, the game looks slower and you can see much more. Feels like a totally different game, it's weird.

Yeah that's the one I use, really like it, works great on the 150" screen ;)

Getting sick of career mode as Portsmouth due to career mode being kinda shite.

Got promoted to the premiership through the playoffs. My transfer budget for the new season, just over 1 million!

I then spotted that a few of my team had just over 1 year on contract so offered a new one. ALL of them refused saying they're leaving once their current deal ends. Their morale suddenly drops to unhappy and they mysteriously think 'they're too big for this club'. 2 force through transfers to LOWER LEAGUE teams! The rest I still have and just refused all offers until the window closed.

With my 2 sold guys I needed reinforcements and spotted some great players for a few million. So I requested an extra 2 million... And waited for a reply.... They gave it to me the day after the window shut! Fucking ridiculous.

Then I head into the new season and find the premiership clubs are all Barcelona level geniuses at passing, recover from stumbles and falls faster than my team and react to loose balls immediately as my defenders stand watching.

:(

Yeah the boards tend to be very conservative in the first season after promotion, if there's a decent chance you'll go up it's best to try to strengthen your squad with pre-contracts, you can find some real bargains with some decent scouting, especially in South America you can find players worth £2m-£5m on only £750-£1,000 a week and they'll take that on a five year pre-contract!

Okay I have a theory, one that's probably 100% false but here goes. If you turn analogue sprint on, it makes the COM players able to beat you for acceleration and sharp turns on the ball. Tonight, I turned it off (as it is switched off as default by EA) and bingo, COM players no longer seem to be able to twist and turn on the ball as effectively.

I think perhaps the effects of analogue sprint mean it takes slightly longer for your players to get up to speed when turning and accelerating, and when it's switched on, the COM basically ignores the physics (on World Class at any rate) meaning they can beat you with short turns and acceleration more easily. Where a COM attacker accelerates and turns at top speed, your players have an acceleration period while building up to speed.

Since switching it off the game has been miles better for me. I'm able to keep up with attackers.

Anyone know if there is a way to force the commentary on this. Im sick of Smith and Tyler. I select Tyldsley and Townsend but still only ever get smith and co? Doing my head in lol.

Anyone having online problems particularly seasons?

Couldn't connect last night and tonight my players were doing random things or it felt like I was a second behind my opponent every touch.

:(

Back
Top Bottom