GTA IV - SPOILER THREAD!!

Re: Grand Theft Auto IV

Please can anyone tell me if el_diego will be in gta4?!?!?! Then we can run him over lolz!!!!
Its the last mission in the game, if you succeed you get $50,000,000 plus get to watch the censored bits as an added bonus! :lol:

My copy of OPSM has arrived at home and am told that it contains a 12 page preview of GTA!! Oh and also a tacky this is living t-shirt (nothing like sony propaganda eh!!)

My copy of OPSM has arrived at home and am told that it contains a 12 page preview of GTA!! Oh and also a tacky this is living t-shirt (nothing like sony propaganda eh!!)

12 pages of nothing but speculation, gotta love it ;)

i think it looks absolutely stunning. game of the year, for sure.

Thanks for the screens Thomas. ;)

I agree with you OPM. Looks like best game of the year is coming.

Further GTA IV Details Unearthed

UK publication releases more information on the upcoming GTA IV; has Microsoft's harddrive-less Core SKU unbalanced another title...

Having spent some time reviewing Rockstar's teaser trailer for Grand Theft Auto IV just to eek out some extra details from the minute long reveal several weeks ago, attention has now turned to analysing additional details about the game itself.

Reports from the US emerged first, confirming the identity of GTA IV's protagonist, the single-city location, and the game's lack of aeroplanes, but now it's the turn of UK-based publications in this instance, PSM UK. In the latest issue, the publication reveals further titbits of information including news that the masses of NPCs that wander around the streets of Liberty City have their own quirks (for instance, some will smoke), and that the police force will be more challenging this time around.

There certainly seems to be plenty of little details being thrown into the fourth true iteration of the ten-year old franchise, including a wide variety of behaviours from NPCs, and several unconfirmed multiplayer modes, but the article also reveals one of two interesting notions. First of all is the apparent restraint being placed on Rockstar North thanks to Microsoft's decision to release the harddrive-less Core version of Xbox 360, something that the Oblivion team at Bethesda Softworks can no doubt relate to. The Xbox 360's DVD player is also cited as something of a restraint in the article too.

Secondly, there certainly seems to be quite a lot of 'little' details being bandied about several months before launch - so what is Rockstar holding back?

http://www.totalvideogames.com/news/Further_GTA_IV_Details_Unearthed_11542_5883_0.htm

Any chance to take a swipe at 360 and boom! TG's name appears on it...

Dj

Any chance to report the news that we should be grateful to know DJ... What would you rather he did, never post any news at all? Don't be so petty, not everyone loves console wars as much as you.

If I loved the wars so much JB why would I own both the PS3 and 360 consoles? I am merely stating that any chance to take a shot at the 360 and TG is there... Yet any shots at PS3 and he jumps straight to the defensive.

Dj

He's reporting the news, I don't see you doing that, all I see is you giving him flak. It's people like you that will drive him away from this forum and then you'll be the first to moan when you've heard nothing about Winning Eleven 11 for three months.

JB.... I dont complain about the lack of Winning Eleven info!

I think that article was written by a fanboy to be honest.

Dj

I think that article was written by a fanboy to be honest.

No, it was written by PSM, nuff said. It is just a comment, don't worry about it and take it for what it is, words written in a mag with no direct quotes from Rockstar.

Any chance to take a swipe at 360 and boom! TG's name appears on it...

Dj

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Joystiq = 360 fanboy site
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/02/xbox-360-cant-handle-all-of-gta-iv/

Xbox 360 creates "limitations" for GTA IV

Apparently the lack of a built-in Blu-ray or HD-DVD drive in the Xbox 360 means that the year and a half old console is already starting to feel growing pains. In an interview with Official PlayStation Magazine, Rockstar creative VP Dan Houser was asked, "On PS3 you've got a guarantee that every machine is going to have a hard-drive and, with Blu-ray, you've got plenty of storage, whereas on Xbox 360 there's no guarantee of a hard-drive and you're working with the DVD format. Does that create limitations?" His answer? "Yep."

On the flipside, Rockstar is using the Xbox 360 to demo the game to the press ... so they might say it's not the prettiest girl at the ball, but they sure love dancing with her. There's no doubt that as games get more graphically intense and the sheer scope of them continues to increase in size, storage is going become a more pressing issue. However, don't forget that right now the larger storage leads to longer load times, with the PS3 taking longer than the 360, due to the Blu-ray drive.

We didn't expect it to start happening quite so soon, but we're sure it's minimal as far as this title is concerned. We'll be watching the widening gap with interest.

all i see is TG reporting the News as well

weather it be good or bad his news is great :)

I guess MS want the game to run on both, but Football Manager was a game that needed a HD to work, so I dont know why Rockstar dont do that........

I guess MS want the game to run on both, but Football Manager was a game that needed a HD to work, so I dont know why Rockstar dont do that........
I was thinking almost the exact same thing.

I thought that maybe Microsoft prohibited companies from ostracising core 360 owners by advertising a game as "hard drive only", but if SI have already done it then surely Rockstar can (unless it's a new "rule" maybe).

There's no excuse for having less content on 360 compared to PS3, is there? Bluray might hold more information but I've got 10gb free on my 360 hard drive, I'm sure other people have even more free. You could even delete stuff to make room for the content.

There's no doubt that as games get more graphically intense and the sheer scope of them continues to increase in size, storage is going become a more pressing issue. However, don't forget that right now the larger storage leads to longer load times, with the PS3 taking longer than the 360, due to the Blu-ray drive.

I think people are beginning to realise that it's not Sony's Blu-Ray drive that is bringing the storage benefits, but the standard internal HDD.

It was a huge mistake on Microsoft's part to release the Core 360. Not only did it divide and confuse the consumer market, but it prevents game companies from using HDD cache (which is faster than both DVD and Blu-Ray) to handle large graphic loads. This has evidently become an issue with GTA4.

I'm sure that Rockstar wanted to make a HDD requirement policy for GTA4. However, I suspect that Microsoft probably stopped them from doing it as they still believe the 360 Core system has a significant share in the budget market - but in reality, the core system is dragging game development down :(

Last edited:

I want the PS3 to finally have "something" all it's own. heres hoping that the ps3 at least gets winning eleven and GTA right

but in reality, the core system is dragging game development down

Sorry guys, you can blame me for that :lol:

But in my defense, i dont use live, dont download content and dont use it as a media device.

However i said ages ago that i could see this happening and the response i got back then was that they just had to come up with better compression techniques for the 360. Not that bothered though as ill eventually get a ps3 anyway (especially with the ridiculous failure numbers the 360 has).

fuck the core owners :)

we premium owners deserve better and more ;)

I think it was a mistake on MS's part to release the Core Machine. Ok I got one and it was the only way to get a 360 at Launch (Got a HDD for it last Feb) but if it is going to hold back games developers then its a big mistake.

Dj

I thought they are planning on having monthly episodes to download on the 360? Your gonna need the hard drive for that.

Apologies to TG, Sorry mate I thought you were deliberately having a pop at the 360. Ive read this article in a few places myself and yes the Storage Media issue is going to prove a problem for the Xbox 360. Its something I have thought about a lot but not really said anything about it.

Might have to sell the 360 and drop the 360 name from my title :(

Dj

Back
Top Bottom