[General Discussion] What have you been playing this week?

Thanks for sharing all the images.
I dont know why people on youtube were saying that all those details were removed in remake.
Honestly - baffled now.🤷‍♂️

as for your question - I dont know this game. name rings a bell, but thats about it.

Thanks for sharing all the images.
I dont know why people on youtube were saying that all those details were removed in remake.
Honestly - baffled now.🤷‍♂️

as for your question - I dont know this game. name rings a bell, but thats about it.

No problem, glad that I was able to share some light into this because overall it's a good remake. In other hand I don't blame anybody for criticizing some parts of it because it's more like a "different" remake and wasn't designed to be developed 100% true to the original, and I should explain: It's not as "photorealistic" as the original version was, mostly because of the engines used for making videogames nowadays that are inclined to be more animated or stylized, so the characters are slightly different and environments could be more colorful and vibrant. The story was mostly the same but there are parts that obviously like in any remake could be changed for the better or for the worst. In this case I see them just as different like in a remake should be story wise: a different type of Tommy, and some of the characters that could act like some "new" version of Paulie or Sarah (and I'm ok with that, others are not). Missions are feeling shorter because of those new mechanics like taking cover or the focused crosshair could make objectives easier, but also you can miss or die rapidly (you can adjust that and lots of things in options including some driving mechanics if you're in for nitpicking). The driving part, it's far superior to the original in terms of general driving and NOT related to individual cars (but surely you can notice the difference when you'll drive a cheap one from a new one): basically you can feel the weight of the car, drifting, physics, just like in Mafia 2 (and I know that because I was playing both simultaneously, so there are lots of similarities).

Overall I just can't compare the original to this remake because both are offering nice varied experiences for their periods. Mafia feels like a timeless classic that aged very well on its own, and the remake improves various gameplay core mechanics and graphics offering a more "different" approach to the story and nice graphics (also some new cutscenes during the race, investigator Intermezzo parts, etc). As a note there is also a "Noir" black & white in options (so I'm very curious to try it in my second playthrough), also some lore about Mafia 2 regarding Empire Bay and their families when you'll find those collectibles.

Here you can have some answer, was captured now in the free ride mode (didn't responded to it earlier because I wasn't sure about those "little things"):

View attachment 231052

Car bullets, on the left with the pistol, on the right part of the vehicle used just a little the Thompson coz' police was already on my neck. On the right image is the glass, did it with a Lupara (short shotgun)...

View attachment 231053

Also wood destruction with Lupara, after I was going into the woods to use it the Thomson more on the car until I was blowing it up.

View attachment 231055

Third image: lupara on brick (left), pistol window (on the middle), iron door on the left (tommy gun). Second image: blood spashes on the police car.
hydrant.

View attachment 231056

Gun mag and shells...

Ok. Well, Emroth said he didn't played it (tough if you played it I don't know why you've posted something of his :LOL:, instead of yours). Also I was reading now your bullet points and I respect them even if we had quite a different experience...

That was strictly responded on his post (didn't knew to which Emroth user he was referring to because you've mentioned on another post that you didn't played it, so I wasn't sure he was referring to a post of yours). But in the end yes, this post it's a cocktail answering on both... Also, thanks for sharing, it's nice to see also different views and opinions about this remake...
Haven't played the games so I can't really comment on the gameplay (I only played a bit of Godfather: The Game back in the day with Aldo Trapani and really liked it but never finished it since it was a Blockbuster rental back in the mid 2000's haha). But all I will say is that the colors in these screenshots look Super badass, like a 1930's-40's Sepia tones with the retro feeling which I think is really atmospheric! I will probably pick this up from steam sometime!! Thanks a lot for the screenshots, this game will definitely be on my radar, being that I am a huge fan of the genre and the Neo-Noir look! :TU:

Im revisiting older rpgs lately. The ones I touched and the ones I missed.

Mainly 'Dragons Dogma' and 'Kingdoms of Amalur'. And they are fucking awesome!

Dragons Dogma has a sequel in development and I couldnt be happier. Combat in that game was never matched in any rpg that came after.

Kingdom of Amalur I missed altogether and I only found this game by accident. THQ Nordic, the guys behind Way of The Hunter, bought this IP from a dead studio and re-released the game, adding brand new DLC to it. I really hope that they have bigger plans for this IP and that these are just first steps before they announce sequel.
This games combat, mechanics depth and lore could easily compete with Skyrim. And art style is just awesome. Its if Fable and World of Warcraft had a baby. There are also some really brutal moments, straight outta God of War.

Loving both.
What great games!
And AI and difficulty is just so fun to play against. Its like with football games - the depth we used to have is just crazy.
How about Alundra? It looks awesome and flew under may radar for 30 years.

I tried to play some Arcade Paradise but it kinda gave me motion sickness.
I guess running back and forth around the laundry doesn't help.

Now, focusing the subject on the "holding your hand" part, what do you guys think about this game? It will be like the previous FromSoft games? Or will be more like some very direct straight forward approach from Point A to Point B via missions and that could be all of it? Got it some days ago on Steam but the release date is tomorrow, so the only thing that I can do now is just to preload it...

View attachment 231060

Normally I'm not so much into this kind of "mecha" genre, but the story feels so rich inSCI-FI and also finishing every game so many times that FromSoft created previously, I just couldn't stop myself to purchase it :LOL:. That's pure FromSoft addiction that triggered me to get into it. On those official FromSoft videos that I saw regarding AC6 there is a lot of customization that could influence the overall gameplay, but I don't really know for sure how deep the rabbit hole goes on the "souls-like" elements - eventually will be none of that or just some tiny little mechanics. Either way, I hope this will be another solid FromSoft game release...
The Doc approves it. It should be good.
https://www.youtube.com/live/Lzi-s0Yt_nU?si=g3ne65uC_ORZb7Gv

Last edited:

Started to play it today for a few hours. Feels great: the SCI-FI atmosphere, varied missions, nice effects, blade runner style music ambience, lots of customizations. It's not like Elden Ring or Bloodborne but has some "souls-like" elements in it: stamina depleting when using actions, telegraphic memory when fighting bosses, strategic ways by customizing your mech to approach and complete missions. I did well by preordering, overall it's a great FromSoftware released product !!!

I got Dark souls back in the day on PS3 and realised I’m terrible at it. I kept persisting but eventually rage… sold it because I found it infuriating.
I recently picked it up for Switch and have been slowly progressing (refusing to use the Internet for help) and yeh I’m still infuriated by it. It’s a great game but I’m just so bad at it! Just when I think I’m getting pretty good at it, the game says otherwise and kicks me in the nuts. I’m determined not to launch my switch across the room though and hopefully trying to be more mellow about it in my old age 😂

Dark Souls, the first one, was by far my favourite. Felt most 'grounded' and combat was just cool..

but I need to say something about this part

refusing to use the Internet for help

..I wouldnt be able to enjoy it if I didnt use the internet..
And all I needed were tips on which way to go.
I just didnt have patience to walk around and get battered by everybody until I found a place with enemies I could face.

Dark Souls, the first one, was by far my favourite. Felt most 'grounded' and combat was just cool..

but I need to say something about this part

..I wouldnt be able to enjoy it if I didnt use the internet..
And all I needed were tips on which way to go.
I just didnt have patience to walk around and get battered by everybody until I found a place with enemies I could face.
If using the Internet as a guide for games is something that appeals then that’s up to the individual if they want to do that. I’ve got no issue with it. Personally, I’d rather find my own way in games like this. I Enjoy the discovery. A guide would make it easier and less infuriating but it would spoil the discovery part of it for me, which I feel is a major part of the game.

Ready or not. Played one mission in SP. If you are play this game serious you will have fun. But you didn't if you did it like some kids youtuber influencer which lost his IQ on his born because of his crack-mom.

Anno 1800 on steam. Trying some mods with the new mod launcher and mod.io. But I'm not sure if they work or not. seems more like they didn't.

Do someone know if I need to do something special except subscribe to the mods and launch a game?

Shadow of War.

wanted to play something fast, some brainless slaughter, just to kill few days while Im waiting for Baldurs Gate 3 release on Ps5.
holy shitballs - I put over 15 hours in 3 days into this. There's something weirdly satisfying and addictive in battering orcs, but this game is so much more than that. Voice acting is top class, Orcs are hilarious and there are also sieges and shit.. I was very surprised by this game.
Lots of fun!

Anyways - weekend nights now at work and after that...... Baldur!!!
excited-so.gif

Anno 1800 on steam. Trying some mods with the new mod launcher and mod.io. But I'm not sure if they work or not. seems more like they didn't.

Do someone know if I need to do something special except subscribe to the mods and launch a game?
I found out the solution for my issue with the mods. I need to activate them in the ingame modlauncher.

Downloaded Saints Row as it was a free game on PS4. Gotta admit, I'm a 40 year old bloke but played Co-Op with my 16 year old son the other night and we were crying from laughter. I'd dodged that franchise as it went a bit weird but this has Saints Row 2 vibes which was a hell of a game IMO.

We've also downloaded Monopoly Fun. Me, my 2 lads - 24 & 16 - and my wife's brother. It should come with a warning cos we've already had at least 1 big fall out. Mainly due to dodgy trades being made for property. I usually buy Mayfair & Park Lane, which costs a ton, but nobody lands on it. My youngest lad buys the shit stuff, slaps hotels all over it and wins every game!!

Both games are a good laugh though, I've had to have a break from footy games, nailed PES21 non stop for months and hit a wall.

I'm tempted to look into emulators and replay some old games. As I get older, I yearn for simplicity (saying that, I'd love a hybrid of PES/Football Manager, I'd probably never leave the house) and retro games offer that.

Downloaded Saints Row as it was a free game on PS4. Gotta admit, I'm a 40 year old bloke but played Co-Op with my 16 year old son the other night and we were crying from laughter. I'd dodged that franchise as it went a bit weird but this has Saints Row 2 vibes which was a hell of a game IMO.

We've also downloaded Monopoly Fun. Me, my 2 lads - 24 & 16 - and my wife's brother. It should come with a warning cos we've already had at least 1 big fall out. Mainly due to dodgy trades being made for property. I usually buy Mayfair & Park Lane, which costs a ton, but nobody lands on it. My youngest lad buys the shit stuff, slaps hotels all over it and wins every game!!

Both games are a good laugh though, I've had to have a break from footy games, nailed PES21 non stop for months and hit a wall.

I'm tempted to look into emulators and replay some old games. As I get older, I yearn for simplicity (saying that, I'd love a hybrid of PES/Football Manager, I'd probably never leave the house) and retro games offer that.
I’m a similar age to you and loved Saints Row 3, I thought it was hilarious fun. I played it coop too, during the pandemic, as a way to first connect to my now girlfriend. We used it and GTA V as a replacement for real dates, as we couldn’t meet each other in-person for a year, as she was in Ukraine and the pandemic stopped us.

I love retro games too, a lot of modern gaming is frustrating diluted nonsense. I just bought a CRT TV and 3 light guns, got out my ps2 and 360 from storage, bought all the best PS1 and PS2 ISS/PES games and loads of other retro gems and I'm loving it.

You can use emulators and any retro PES to do Master League coop, online, have you tried? I’d be up for it. I’ve done it before, it awesome,

Back
Top Bottom