FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

After @manmachine posted the other day about FIFA 16’s main features I went and had a look on the website. I know the reason why, but read below and look at how far backwards we’ve gone compared to this. Can you imagine if they’d been building on this for 7 years since 16…

Yeah, isn't it amazing that teams moved & defended as a unit 6 years before the necessary technology was even invented (Hypermotion (tm)). Now we're back to them moving up and down the pitch as a unit, well, minus the actual defending.

Hands-On Impressions: FIFA 23 plays like the icing on the franchise's cake​

We took a studio tour, we attended a comprehensive presentation, we talked with the producers, but there’s a lot we cannot talk about. For now, what we can say is that FIFA 23 feels like a couple of entries-leap forward from FIFA 22 in terms of pure gameplay.

I’ve always thought FIFA was a bit too stiff, a bit too rigid, scripted and floaty regarding player movement, but the truth is this one felt much more fluid and grounded for the bunch of matches I tested in 1v1 multiplayer. It might be the HyperMotion 2 technology and animations (we’ll delve deeper into this and other modes and new features in the near future), or it might be the many other things that are now seemingly taken into account or the AI improvements, but I saw myself much better connected to the players and to the pitch via the controller. Perhaps the most fitting word is, at last, that it just felt natural.

Generally speaking, the match pacing was very realistic, which in turns becomes quite engaging to play, and both the defending and attacking situations seemed interestingly varied. Then, regarding that “grounded” feel, the welcomed added weight to players apparently has to do with both animation innovations and some of the HyperMotion 2 advancements, together with interesting graphical tweaks, but I cannot share more details on either as of yet. I also liked the new controls and mechanics, especially the new penalty kicks, with a timing and emotion component added to it in the form of a shrinking, pulsating circle to mark the best moment to shoot.

I played with PSG, Atlético, Real Madrid and certain other squad, and for most of the time both the teams and the players behaved in a recognisable way. I absolutely loved the new type of more powerful shots (but I will not say how they work or what they trigger today), and I could spot a good number of new animations, some of them so subtle that you think they happened live only to then be amazed at how they actually happened during replays.

Before my trip to Canada I played some FIFA 22 matches to refresh my memory and to make any potential difference more glaring, and that was pretty useful. Remember how in a very Canadian term some players would “do the totem” when getting the ball as some sort of faked faint? I saw none of them in FIFA 23’s demo. How counters were too effective, how the defence line was positioned badly or the attacking line put too much stress into the box? It didn’t feel as bad this time around. Of course we’ll need hours for a full review with the final game, but it really looks like they listened to feedback, and they apparently plan to do that more often throughout the full season.

The beta we played ran on PS5, but it’s also worth mentioning that, as the very first cross-play FIFA ever, this time around PlayStation 5 players will be able to play with and versus Xbox Series X|S, Stadia, and PC (as it’s now been upgraded to the current-gen engine) for the biggest pool of players ever, while PS4 and Xbox One will be able to share the last-gen version without HyperMotion 2 and many of the new graphical and system updates.

I’d really love to tell you much more as this game is going to be, other than a historic turning point for the franchise, a truly massive production once again (“the biggest FIFA ever”), but for now these are my first hands-on impressions with FIFA 23. I was kind of hooked by its smoothness, response and natural feel, and I did not feel cheated by the game, so things are looking very good ahead of its last season.

Link: https://topteknews.net/hands-on-imp...the-icing-on-the-franchises-cake-s122070.html

>Marketing plan 1 : gives a demo which is balanced and all feels "logic" so you have good review for people waiting for a bit more "football logic" to pre-order the game. Hope then
>Marketing plan 2 : make a compromise during 15 days, before patching it for FUT gamers and completely transform the game into a Fifa Giant Street.

People want so bad that Efootball crashes (i got just pity for the devs and how Konami treats them... But won't talk about it), i want so the same for EA but it won't never happen.
FUT, Social Media and became the status of "first football game" on the market sold their souls to the Dollar Demon.

I forced myself to like the game day one, and brought it, and i ever feel a bit angry about Evo feedback when i got the "electric/flash agility" and super speed.
Global feeling has changed for 5% (first patch probably) to 1% but it's always been the same shit to me. Faster football game i never played, i'm not all about speed at all as long as what should be slower is slower etc. But it's not the case in FIFA. Uncompresible and In-Universe football representation.

Like some members here, i sticked to the game just for the AI agressive way to attack, it was fresh. But overall, it's the opposite of what i like in a football game. I won't force myself any more. Switched the 21, brought the first NG experience regarding FIFA 22, i won't fall for FIFA 23, and the game changing every 3 weeks, with 25 OS sliders in Season.

... But i can't resist to follow their stuff like a gossip and the comments, here.
Just an advice for some who still believe to FIFA 23 and hated FIFA 22 : there's a very tiny tiny chance that the game will be at least decent regarding your expectations.

"If you aren’t partial to their awkward patter you’ll be glad to know you can now pump in music from the FIFA menu soundtrack during a match, which is mixed perfectly to ensure you to get all the vibes without missing the biggest sounds inside the stadium.

Which brings us on neatly onto the crowd, which itself feels more dynamic than ever (read: they actually jump up and down in time with the songs now)".

WTF? And when there's breakdown in a song Iron Man flies around the stands with his jetpack?

"Se você não gosta do padrão desajeitado deles, ficará feliz em saber que agora pode ouvir música da trilha sonora do menu FIFA durante uma partida, que é misturada perfeitamente para garantir que você obtenha todas as vibrações sem perder os maiores sons. dentro do estádio.

O que nos leva perfeitamente à multidão, que em si parece mais dinâmica do que nunca (leia-se: eles realmente pulam para cima e para baixo no ritmo das músicas agora)".

WTF? E quando há um colapso em uma música, o Homem de Ferro voa pelas arquibancadas com seu jetpack?
Lol

Hands On

First things first: proper tackles are back. Sadly, you can’t two-foot the goalkeeper as you could way back in that other milestone World Cup year, 1998, but you can aggressively slide tackle, keeping hold of circle/B for longer to increase the size of the imprint you leave on your opponent. More crunching than a cereal advert, there’s even a new sliding clearance that allows players to clear both ball and opponent into row Z.

Not that it’s all blood and thunder though. You also have the chance to use backheel tackles when using the best defenders on the game; something I wish I’d known before getting Thiago Silva an early bath in less than 30 minutes against Real Madrid.

Another welcome overhaul is that foot races are much less predictable. It’s no secret that an overreliance on pace has continually hampered the series. However, rather than put the brakes on the likes of Neymar, a new feature, AcceleRATE, splits players into three different speed categories: explosive, controlled and lengthy. With enough space, this allows a rangy runner like Virgil Van Dijk to make up ground and win the ball ahead of someone with more of an explosive standing start, such as Kylian Mbappé.

Also set to get tongues wagging is the addition of a Power Shot, AKA thunderbastard mode, which you activate by pressing L1+R1 at the same time as shooting. It takes an age to animate and you’ll need optimum precision as you need to aim your shot manually. The key is knowing exactly when to use it.

Accuracy is absolutely crucial for success on FIFA 23. There are more ways to score than ever – including downward volleys into the ground and new types of diving headers – but mistime a connection and you leave yourself at risk of looking pathetically Sunday League, hitting thin air as your hopes, dreams and that inch-perfect cross sail past you all at once.

Score a worldie, on the other hand, and you might even bag yourself an AR intelligence replay, which annotates spectacular finishes in slow-mo with lines of trajectory, degrees of curvature and a speed clock. Could this help banish the scourge of the ‘sweaty goal’? I certainly attempted more long-range efforts than I normally would in the hope of unlocking the souped-up replay.

It might have been a while since we first saw Roberto Carlos bending a freekick on FIFA, but the Brazilian would no doubt approve of the new aim mechanics on free kicks and corners. Such is the level of control when using the right stick to decide what part of the ball to make contact with and how you’d like to bend or swerve it, you might as well be putting Tiger Woods on corner duty.

For penalty takers, it’s still about timing (the closer your pressure meter is to the ball when you hit shoot, the more chance of it hitting the target) but composure now plays a part. PKs are highly reactive to the game, meaning if you’re in the 88th minute, as opposed to the 30th minute, your room for error decreases.

The biggest impact on my own playstyle came with ball control. Gone are the slidey motion effects of 22, now “every step matches the path”, as one FIFA line producer put it during a reveal presentation. They weren’t wrong – I found dribbling to be much more fluid this time around, every manipulation of the ball in-step and in-tune with the player’s body and centre of gravity.

A lot of these improvements are down to Hypermotion 2, the AI-learning driven motion capture work that helps bring player movement to life, be it the dinky nature of Phil Foden’s jinking dribbles, to the directness of Sam Kerr when she bears down on goal. In fact, with thousands of new animations courtesy of Hypermotion 2, the women’s game has never looked better in video game form; every flick, every turn, every backheel can feel as if you’re seeing it for the first time.

FIFA 23 also features the biggest (and most unique) variety of passes to date. Expect to spray plenty cross-field with the outside of the foot or even guide a few in close quarters via the top of the back or the bum.

One major disappointment in 22 was how freakishly speedy the goalkeepers were in one-on-one situation, almost pre-ordained to fish the ball from between your toes. Luckily for FIFA 23, balance seems to have been restored as I enjoyed more balanced duels with my opponent between the sticks.

Link: https://www.nme.com/features/gaming-features/fifa-23-preview-3275094

Last edited:
The FIFAs of the PS3/Xbox 360 generations had it. Games of the week or even some scenarious of last weekends matches where you jumped in the game at a certain minute and had to turn the match for example.

Or something like the world tour mode in PES 2008 that would be cool.
Surely FIFA 12 had it (it was the mode I played the most while it lasted, I only got deep into career mode after those "weekly challenges" ended), and it was abso-f*ck!ng-lutely great.

We took a studio tour, we attended a comprehensive presentation, we talked with the producers, but there’s a lot we cannot talk about. For now, what we can say is that FIFA 23 feels like a couple of entries-leap forward from FIFA 22 in terms of pure gameplay.

I’ve always thought FIFA was a bit too stiff, a bit too rigid, scripted and floaty regarding player movement, but the truth is this one felt much more fluid and grounded for the bunch of matches I tested in 1v1 multiplayer. It might be the HyperMotion 2 technology and animations (we’ll delve deeper into this and other modes and new features in the near future), or it might be the many other things that are now seemingly taken into account or the AI improvements, but I saw myself much better connected to the players and to the pitch via the controller. Perhaps the most fitting word is, at last, that it just felt natural.

Generally speaking, the match pacing was very realistic, which in turns becomes quite engaging to play, and both the defending and attacking situations seemed interestingly varied. Then, regarding that “grounded” feel, the welcomed added weight to players apparently has to do with both animation innovations and some of the HyperMotion 2 advancements, together with interesting graphical tweaks, but I cannot share more details on either as of yet. I also liked the new controls and mechanics, especially the new penalty kicks, with a timing and emotion component added to it in the form of a shrinking, pulsating circle to mark the best moment to shoot.

I played with PSG, Atlético, Real Madrid and certain other squad, and for most of the time both the teams and the players behaved in a recognisable way. I absolutely loved the new type of more powerful shots (but I will not say how they work or what they trigger today), and I could spot a good number of new animations, some of them so subtle that you think they happened live only to then be amazed at how they actually happened during replays.

Before my trip to Canada I played some FIFA 22 matches to refresh my memory and to make any potential difference more glaring, and that was pretty useful. Remember how in a very Canadian term some players would “do the totem” when getting the ball as some sort of faked faint? I saw none of them in FIFA 23’s demo. How counters were too effective, how the defence line was positioned badly or the attacking line put too much stress into the box? It didn’t feel as bad this time around. Of course we’ll need hours for a full review with the final game, but it really looks like they listened to feedback, and they apparently plan to do that more often throughout the full season.

The beta we played ran on PS5, but it’s also worth mentioning that, as the very first cross-play FIFA ever, this time around PlayStation 5 players will be able to play with and versus Xbox Series X|S, Stadia, and PC (as it’s now been upgraded to the current-gen engine) for the biggest pool of players ever, while PS4 and Xbox One will be able to share the last-gen version without HyperMotion 2 and many of the new graphical and system updates.

I’d really love to tell you much more as this game is going to be, other than a historic turning point for the franchise, a truly massive production once again (“the biggest FIFA ever”), but for now these are my first hands-on impressions with FIFA 23. I was kind of hooked by its smoothness, response and natural feel, and I did not feel cheated by the game, so things are looking very good ahead of its last season.

Link: https://topteknews.net/hands-on-imp...the-icing-on-the-franchises-cake-s122070.html

the bold one. I thought fifa has been the opposite

"Realism" though! The most realistic FIFA ever! If they say realism often enough, we might believe it! Realism!

If that doesn't tell you who this game is made for, nothing will.

Glad to see this getting some traction off the back of it...

I knew this was coming once they put Dua Lipa in the game of all people. If that didn't tell you all you need to know about unrelated celebrity endorsement in your videogames going forward then Superheroes and The Incredible Hulk in goal will.

I knew we was fucked once we got Terminator in WWE 2K, Batista in Gears of War, Conor McGregor in Call of Duty and Usain Bolt who didn't seem the most inappropriate but still, In PES.

Games are becoming less about art, vision and innovation and simply more about systemic marketing and inexplicable celebrity crossover.

Thanks for this, it does *sound* good and probably deserves deeper discussion...

But I'm sorry,

Right now I honestly can't hear you over the sound of.....THEY'RE PUTTING F**KING MARVEL CHARACTERS IN A FOOTBALL GAME!!!?!

We're still missing a significant core of Serie A (which just so happens to be my favourite FOOTBALL league) but no....getting super hero characters into FUT is where they're throwing their money......because y'know its not like superhero guff doesn't dominate every other facet of popular culture.

Raging

Last edited:
Seriously considering getting a PS5 in October, and I think Fifa 23 will be the first taste of next gen football. Purely because I don't want to go on a 10 minute rant to my wife on how absolutely sh×t Konami is. Again. From what I've seen and what I'm hearing, it sounds good. The marvel stuff I don't care about as I never touch FUT, I only deal with kick-off mode. As long as the teams & the stuff on the pitch is solid, Fifa can welcome me back again. Besides...its a world Cup year. Who can resist Japan men's and women's teams in the same game ☝️

I knew we was fucked once we got Terminator in WWE 2K, Batista in Gears of War, Conor McGregor in Call of Duty and Usain Bolt who didn't seem the most inappropriate but still, In PES.

Well, when it's not appropriate i agree, but in MK11 all the Anti-Heroes, Villain and Hardcore heroes from the 90's fits perfectly with the game.
And they're very, very worked. Playing with Robocop or John Rambo, T-800, Predator etc. plus they got their own story mode. 90's action characters fits totally with MK so it's probably the only exception.

It's not an easy job to reproduce them so accurately in a fighting game : they restart from zero every moves, signature, fatalities, voices, sentences with every single character etc. : the character must be unique. It's not like introducing a face and a voice doing the same thing as any other character / wrestler / footballer.

To me those guests are totally legit, but when it doesn't fit at all with the game (Batista in Gear of War lol, what does he's got to do with that type of game) same as the Terminator on a Wrestling game...
But the worst is Marvel super heroes in a football game even any sports we're not ready FFS 🤣 what they've got to do with "Soccer"?
Ah i forgot : it's a team. That's the only link they got with sports.

I admit i don't care at all. But like @OleCiro said : it should have been better to restore a bit Serie A / B or put the money on an Edit mode to get Rid of those Piemonte Calcio and co.

Last edited:
I don’t know what you’re all complaining about. Having Marvel superhero characters is much more suitable to this game than real footballers :))

But seriously, how many times have we heard that it’s going to be a more realistic game. Look at all the hype about hypermotion last year. Again they’ll pander to FUT and have players running like Road Runner, and kicking like Thumper the Rabbit, etc.

"Realism" though! The most realistic FIFA ever! If they say realism often enough, we might believe it! Realism!

If that doesn't tell you who this game is made for, nothing will.

Glad to see this getting some traction off the back of it...

I'm .... I'm s p e a k l e s s!:RANT::R1:CRY::COAT:

It is not the worlds game it is the worst's game. €lectronic Cash Arts, how dare you?

FIFA 23 comes with an all-new gameplay technology in the form of HyperMotion2. Here is everything you need to know about it in the new game.

The FIFA 23 trailer has been revealed and with it, EA has given us an insight into their all-new gameplay technology HyperMotion2. This technology is only included in the next generation versions of FIFA 23, which includes the Playstation 5, XBOX Series X/S, Stadia and PC.

HyperMotion is already a bit of tech included within FIFA 22, but now EA has advanced the gameplay technology with twice as much match data capture unlock new features and brought over 6000 authentic animations taken from millions of frames of advanced match capture to FIFA 23.

Powered by Football, advances to groundbreaking EA SPORTS FIFA HyperMotion gameplay technology take FIFA 23 to over 6000 true-to-life football animations that deliver realism every time you step on the pitch in FIFA 23:

Advanced 11v11 Match Capture: Xsens suits enable millions of data points to becaptured from professional footballers playing real, high-intensity 11v11 matches. FIFA 23 includes Advanced 11v11 Match Capture data from two new full-match
motion capture shoots with professional teams – including a FIFA-first motion capture of a women’s match – and data from five training drills, leading to more high-fidelity, true-to-life animations than ever before in an EA SPORTS FIFA title.

Machine Learning: Advances to our cutting-edge and proprietary machine learning algorithm brings football realism to more footballing situations in FIFA 23. Learning from a cumulative 9.2 million frames of advanced match capture, the algorithm writesn ew animations in real time to create natural and realistic football motion across a variety of interactions on the pitch in FIFA 23. The result brings FIFA 23 even closer to both the professional men’s and women’s games seen in stadiums all around the world, as HyperMotion2 gameplay technology unlocks brand new features that deliver unprecedented animation quality both on and off the ball.

Full Team Authentic Motion: Player motion data captured from two further high-intensity 11v11 matches using Xsens suits leads to even more natural football animation in FIFA 23, captured directly from the pitch. Data captured from both a men’s and women’s match culminates in a combined total of over 6000 HyperMotion-enabled animations that make players move and play more responsively and realistically than ever before.

Powering the Women’s Game: Dedicated Advanced 11v11 Match Capture of a full intensity women’s match combined with machine learning technology to power the women’s game in FIFA 23, creating authentic animation informed by the movement of real-life women’s players.

Technical Dribbling: A brand new dribbling system allows attackers to calculate their path to the ball more intelligently. Animation transitions are informed by machine learning between every dribble touch, delivering next-gen visuals and variety with the ball at your feet. Whether you’re taking on a defender for pace or keeping the ball close to turn away from an opponent, ultra-responsive dribbling makes the world’s-best move more fluidly than ever before.

ML-Jockey: Machine learning technology learns from real-world defensive situations and movement taken from Advanced 11v11 Match Capture data to rewrite the jockeying system in FIFA 23, creating more natural animations as defenders face up to oncoming attackers.

AcceleRATE: New acceleration mechanics provide a new layer of personality to how players reach their top speed in FIFA 23. From explosive acceleration off the mark to more controlled or lengthy changes of pace, players will now reach their top speed at different rates to create more variety in player movement and gameplay in FIFA 23.

Composed Ball Striking: New animations powered by HyperMotion2 allow for more natural transition between controlling the ball and shooting. Combining precision and fluidity, longer high-quality animation creates one continuous motion as players trap the ball, rotate, and strike the ball towards the target.

Kinetic Goalkeeper vs Header Battles: An evolution in two-player interaction technology syncs player animations as goalkeepers rise to meet crosses against opposing attacking players, creating cleaner outcomes as keepers claim aerial balls.

FIFA 23 comes with an all-new gameplay technology in the form of HyperMotion2. Here is everything you need to know about it in the new game.

The FIFA 23 trailer has been revealed and with it, EA has given us an insight into their all-new gameplay technology HyperMotion2. This technology is only included in the next generation versions of FIFA 23, which includes the Playstation 5, XBOX Series X/S, Stadia and PC.

HyperMotion is already a bit of tech included within FIFA 22, but now EA has advanced the gameplay technology with twice as much match data capture unlock new features and brought over 6000 authentic animations taken from millions of frames of advanced match capture to FIFA 23.

Powered by Football, advances to groundbreaking EA SPORTS FIFA HyperMotion gameplay technology take FIFA 23 to over 6000 true-to-life football animations that deliver realism every time you step on the pitch in FIFA 23:

Advanced 11v11 Match Capture: Xsens suits enable millions of data points to becaptured from professional footballers playing real, high-intensity 11v11 matches. FIFA 23 includes Advanced 11v11 Match Capture data from two new full-match
motion capture shoots with professional teams – including a FIFA-first motion capture of a women’s match – and data from five training drills, leading to more high-fidelity, true-to-life animations than ever before in an EA SPORTS FIFA title.

Machine Learning: Advances to our cutting-edge and proprietary machine learning algorithm brings football realism to more footballing situations in FIFA 23. Learning from a cumulative 9.2 million frames of advanced match capture, the algorithm writesn ew animations in real time to create natural and realistic football motion across a variety of interactions on the pitch in FIFA 23. The result brings FIFA 23 even closer to both the professional men’s and women’s games seen in stadiums all around the world, as HyperMotion2 gameplay technology unlocks brand new features that deliver unprecedented animation quality both on and off the ball.

Full Team Authentic Motion: Player motion data captured from two further high-intensity 11v11 matches using Xsens suits leads to even more natural football animation in FIFA 23, captured directly from the pitch. Data captured from both a men’s and women’s match culminates in a combined total of over 6000 HyperMotion-enabled animations that make players move and play more responsively and realistically than ever before.

Powering the Women’s Game: Dedicated Advanced 11v11 Match Capture of a full intensity women’s match combined with machine learning technology to power the women’s game in FIFA 23, creating authentic animation informed by the movement of real-life women’s players.

Technical Dribbling: A brand new dribbling system allows attackers to calculate their path to the ball more intelligently. Animation transitions are informed by machine learning between every dribble touch, delivering next-gen visuals and variety with the ball at your feet. Whether you’re taking on a defender for pace or keeping the ball close to turn away from an opponent, ultra-responsive dribbling makes the world’s-best move more fluidly than ever before.

ML-Jockey: Machine learning technology learns from real-world defensive situations and movement taken from Advanced 11v11 Match Capture data to rewrite the jockeying system in FIFA 23, creating more natural animations as defenders face up to oncoming attackers.

AcceleRATE: New acceleration mechanics provide a new layer of personality to how players reach their top speed in FIFA 23. From explosive acceleration off the mark to more controlled or lengthy changes of pace, players will now reach their top speed at different rates to create more variety in player movement and gameplay in FIFA 23.

Composed Ball Striking: New animations powered by HyperMotion2 allow for more natural transition between controlling the ball and shooting. Combining precision and fluidity, longer high-quality animation creates one continuous motion as players trap the ball, rotate, and strike the ball towards the target.

Kinetic Goalkeeper vs Header Battles: An evolution in two-player interaction technology syncs player animations as goalkeepers rise to meet crosses against opposing attacking players, creating cleaner outcomes as keepers claim aerial balls.
I do actually think that the 11v11 match capture brought something positive to 22 NG, but I think it needs more work to come to life properly.

I'm really hoping they've done done much more work in regards to blocking passing lanes (especially higher up the pitch) and intelligent pressing. 22 NG, whilst better in regards to movement than CG is still too static.

“Hypermotion”, Hypermotion 2” etc etc we’ve had all of the buzz words from ea for many years now.

Look at FIFA 18’s marketing bollocks as an example:

Powered by Frostbite, EA SPORTS FIFA 18 blurs the line between the virtual and real worlds, bringing to life the players, teams, and atmospheres of The World’s Game. Move with Real Player Motion Technology to unlock Dramatic Moments in the world’s most Immersive Atmospheres. And go on a global journey with a star-studded cast of characters in The Journey: Hunter Returns. In FIFA Ultimate Team, FUT ICONS, featuring Ronaldo Nazário and other football legends, are coming to FIFA 18.