FIFA 21 Discussion (Console Versions)

I'm not taking those kinds of impressions at face value - people involved in the beta are likely already "in" on FIFA to some extent and would likely buy it anyway, playing/enjoying 20 and following EA enough to know when/how to get involved in the beta. What I may be convinced by would be hearing those kinds of views from people who fucking hated and didn't even buy 18-20.
I've been speaking to a handful of people who have been playing, and most of them fit into that category, so (as much as I appreciate every bit of feedback they give me, and am eternally grateful for it considering the NDAs) I do have to take it with a pinch of salt.

However, there are two guys who played FIFA 20 for a week and hated it, who play against the AI exclusively, who have told me they're enjoying it - not because it fixes even 50% of "what's wrong" with the game (which is subjective, but I mean it's still slidey and the 1v1 stuff is still a problem, even though it's toned down a little)... But because the AI is fairly challenging and variable.

If it's challenging, and it's not repetitive... I've got to take that. I've got to lower my expectations. A sim will never exist. Not until @gabe.paul.logan gets his finger out of his arse, learns Unity and makes the best football game ever. COME ON GABE.

These guys played FIFA 20 and were destroying the AI on Legendary from day one. That's not happening right now. The scary thing is - if they do patch the beta and it becomes faster, I have no doubt it will become unplayable again, because a huge part of why they're finding it challenging is that they can't just speed past defenders. If they turn the speed up because all the kids are saying "so slow and boring zzzzz" - which they are saying... Then, it's over.

But yeah. Nobody who hated FIFA 20 is giving it glowing reports, but by the same token if two people who couldn't play 20 are playing the 21 beta and having a good time - then layer the Career Mode stuff over the top of that (which, as always, looks excellent) and I'm in.

Yet I do absolutely agree with you as well. I hate that certain gameplay elements will always be tied to "fun" over "realism", and so you have an engine where players regularly break bones to hit that shot you just requested, because "responsiveness is KING".

However, it'll never go away. So it's (at least try to) put up with it, or never buy a football game again.

I honestly think PES 2022, which we're all hoping will be a sim, will be redesigned to serve those responsiveness needs EVEN MORE! I dread to think what it will play like. But I hope I'm wrong.

A frustration I have is this - we (and devs) assume that fun games will always outsell more realistic ones. But as someone I spoke to years ago said (from Evo-Web), how do we know? Because nobody's tried it. Maybe people are just so used to the fast and the furious, that's all they'll ever want - OR, maybe they'll play something more mature and be blown away that they're having to think a lot harder about who's on the ball and what system the opposition is playing.

Maybe PES 2022 will be that game and we'll find out - but I don't think Konami are going to allow that to happen. Not when PES 2014 (a similar experiment) was a huge sales flop, and not when it potentially risks throwing away all those juicy microtransactions.

Is that one of the differences between competitor mode/no competitor mode or is there a different option for this? Because the game looked atrocious to me on professional difficulty (no competitor option). While on legendary (with competitor option on) it looked like 20 but with 2 skill moves/second and a bit slower.
It's a different option. Competitor mode is on by default and everyone I know who's played with it on says it's absolutely awful. Unplayably so. Constant tricks from every player, even at the lowest level. It feels (and looks) like absolute shit.

These guys played FIFA 20 and were destroying the AI on Legendary from day one. That's not happening right now. The scary thing is - if they do patch the beta and it becomes faster, I have no doubt it will become unplayable again, because a huge part of why they're finding it challenging is that they can't just speed past defenders. If they turn the speed up because all the kids are saying "so slow and boring zzzzz" - which they are saying... Then, it's over.

Imagine if the current beta is the best version of 21, just like the pre-patch beta last year. 😇

Maybe PES 2022 will be that game and we'll find out - but I don't think Konami are going to allow that to happen. Not when PES 2014 (a similar experiment) was a huge sales flop, and not when it potentially risks throwing away all those juicy microtransactions.

Imagine if the good feel/weight of pes is because of its pes14 roots when they were going for a serious game and imagine them throwing even that away with the engine change. 😇

I'm only half-joking, but both are perfectly plausible. The future will tell!

So probably no news about Next-gen till 6th of October. I really don't care about the PS4 version. Give us some Next-gen information EA!

Wished they make the same adjustments for goal nets. Structure/dimension style (Small box nets (like in England), or very deep nets (like in Brazil for example). Also the option to change the color of the nets. Freedom to adjust the tightness/looseness of the goal nets. Not only 3 options like it is now.
Totally agree. And even more string supports type (2-3-4-5 supports string)
Captura_wembley.JPG

And I would like to have real 3d models for goalie gloves. We have only 3 models with a bad meshes. PES added this few years ago. Editing this mesh for Adidas Predator Pro took me just 2 days. In addition, gripper socks, 3/4 sleeves and shorter wrist tape is also required. I hope they add all of this in FIFA22 NG/PC...

Captura_adidas.JPG

Sometimes, I feel so old and out of touch!
The nets stuff is as old as time, my friend. Just don't say the words Football K******... Or they'll flock into this thread like seagulls to a bag of discarded chips at a seaside resort, screaming "NETS!"

There's a guy on Twitter who constantly messages a very, very small indie dev, who make an arcadey football game for the Switch.

It's designed for quick bursts of silly fun on the go. It's not a serious football game.

And yet.

Sometimes I feel like I'm a saddo. Other times, the internet makes me feel better about myself.

The nets stuff is as old as time, my friend. Just don't say the words Football K******... Or they'll flock into this thread like seagulls to a bag of discarded chips at a seaside resort, screaming "NETS!"

There's a guy on Twitter who constantly messages a very, very small indie dev, who make an arcadey football game for the Switch.

It's designed for quick bursts of silly fun on the go. It's not a serious football game.

And yet.

Sometimes I feel like I'm a saddo. Other times, the internet makes me feel better about myself.

Good point. That was 17 years ago and I felt out of touch then (there's a common theme developing). The netishists (trademarking it now) were out in force at FK's release. I'm sure there were guys on PESFan/PESInsight/here who were willing to turn their back on PES - which was glorious at the time - in favour of realistically-rippling ropes.

It's like that guy who used to reply to every official PES tweet, like a cat, to complain about Son Heung-min's haircut being outdated. Personally I feel as if a lot of frivolous stuff has been legitimised by the appropriation of "immersion" within the community. It's like the words "engagement" and "support" in marketing. Hell, even the term "community" in the context of two sentences ago. Words that mean everything and nothing at the same time, but it makes you sound the part.

Now THAT'S me being old and out of touch.

good lord that net discussion. i feel old now. really 17 years ago?

then again i can clearly remember ThomasGOAL start the New Kits Thread back in the day...wow. And i am still around! to the next 17!

(and i still never had more fun with any footie game then back in the day with PES3)

I'm too old and I don't care about tattoos, graphic engines, boots, gloves, music, menus, next gen or old gen. I don't even care if Messi's face is generic and the rosters are from the mid 90s. But goal nets are important!

It's right up there with the dreadful defending in modern games! If defenders are idiots not trying to defend or hack me down, that's already half the joy of scoring a goal robbed from me. The other half is taking away the satisfying feel of burying the ball in the net! It just has to feel like a proper burial! :PP

About cosmetic stuff, I admit I used to make a moderately big deal out of them removing short socks from Pes 2009 to 2013 lol. Its just felt so wrong to younger me to see Totti, Camoranesi or Muller without their trademark ones.

I agree that nets aren't as unimportant as one could think, but I also consider them to be in a good place in modern era.

(Today I'd play a 2d football game devoid of every graphic virtuosity if it was simulative enough, by the way :LOL:)

Jumpers for goal posts.

This_Is_Football_2002_cover.jpg

Has your back.

I just say that the football climax is when the ball hit the NET...😬

Anyway, too many things to improve first.

PD: EA, please, copy night lighting from Madden21...

Seriously though, has there ever been more depth in a career mode structure? Starting out managing a SCHOOL TEAM and then graduating to SUNDAY LEAGUE before reaching a professional league? Yes please. Give me that ALL DAY LONG.

Was great fun. Truly the ultimate road to glory.

about net physics:
if you add this line:

SOCCERNET_BOX_NORMAL_TENSE_4_SUPPORTS=1

in Locale.ini (located in Data folder) above every line, you will be amazed of Fifa net physics.

At times I just wish someone releases a havok-based shooting simulator, so the net fetishists can be happy. 🤣
I mean, it may be true that Super Soccer Blast doesn't offer a great "goal" atmosphere if compared to, say, FIFA (seeing that we are in a FIFA thread) but FFS it's an indie game from a small company... How could we ask for lifelike net physics?

Only for PC :(

Yeah there are plenty of hidden nets in the game. I've always wondered why they don't include these in the game properly. It will be really amusing if they finally just flick a switch and enable these extra nets for the "next gen" version to wow people... considering it's a half hidden pc option for like... 3 years now. 😆

Did you just get an email today?

Why do I never get one, come on EA... :(

My mate had one sitting in his inbox since the 13th. Only just thought to mention it.

Edit: Just finished downloading and installing. All 40Gb of it.

When you first load and pick your difficulty it breaks down how it affects certain areas

Attacking Intelligence
Reaction Speed
Marking and Space.

Tottenham are still called Spurs which continue to annoy.

Sliders are the same.

Still can't see opposition tactics in Kick Off.

Last edited:
Haven't had a single free kick given for or against me.

To be honest it doesn't really feel any different to FIFA 20. Any changes if they have been made are subtle, especially if you turn off things like Competitor Mode.

Which means as far as I'm concerned that the game is still fundamentally broken. It doesn't want you to defend or keep clean sheets. The 1v1 impetus means you struggle to defend on any sort of unit. It's impossible to play a low block for example cause your defence won't rotate on the axis or drop in cover etc when teammates get pulled out. All the annoyances when defending in 20 still exist.

Added to this is that controlling a player when defending v attacking is totally different no matter who the player is. Reactions are slower, turning circle is bigger and so on. You would be a fool to try and play for a 1-0 cause the game is set up to make that impossible. I remember playing Winning 11 you could score then grind out the wins using a combination if tactics, your skill and your teammates ability.

So yeah, not sure where to go from here.

Haven't had a single free kick given for or against me.

To be honest it doesn't really feel any different to FIFA 20. Any changes if they have been made are subtle, especially if you turn off things like Competitor Mode.

Which means as far as I'm concerned that the game is still fundamentally broken. It doesn't want you to defend or keep clean sheets. The 1v1 impetus means you struggle to defend on any sort of unit. It's impossible to play a low block for example cause your defence won't rotate on the axis or drop in cover etc when teammates get pulled out. All the annoyances when defending in 20 still exist.

Added to this is that controlling a player when defending v attacking is totally different no matter who the player is. Reactions are slower, turning circle is bigger and so on. You would be a fool to try and play for a 1-0 cause the game is set up to make that impossible. I remember playing Winning 11 you could score then grind out the wins using a combination if tactics, your skill and your teammates ability.

So yeah, not sure where to go from here.
@Matt10 @bsmaff Would love to know your take on this because it sounds really disappointing.

Not so much the free kicks (which is disappointing, but I expected it) - but defending being borked to the point that defending a lead is still pointless...

I will temper that by saying attacking is better. You can create nice moves and there's decent movement. Playing City I've managed to play through their (very realistic) press and create a chance.

It's just that the game is so unbalanced. If defending was given the same attention as attacking the game would be a masterpeice.

Oh, tactics dont appear to drain stamina anymore which is also a plus.

Edit: Secondary Press on Tactical Defending is even more nurfed then before. It literally does nothing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom