FIFA 20 Discussion (PC Version)

You can get his career mode mod from here: https://v2k4fifamodding.azurewebsites.net/
His gameplay mod either from his Patreon (obviously no longer allowed to link to them here) or his Discord channel: https://discord.gg/fR92zgt or his soccergaming thread: http://soccergaming.com/index.php?threads/paulv2k4-fifa-20-mods.6467165/

BTW this mod is recommended for visual fanatics out there: http://soccergaming.com/index.php?threads/4k-mod-matu-turfs-reshade-ultra-lod.6467490/

Free version has just been released today.

What sliders do you guy use with @paulv2k4 gameplay mods and also what speed?
I am enjoying 3va5 the most, it has fouls and humanized cpu in attack but it is way too easy to create chances. The cpu don't mark at all my players in the middle of the park and they react poorly to speed burst, they simply jog. It is also there in the default game but somehow the mod exacerbate it even more. I am playing on Legendary, slow speed, using manual controls and against Augsburg with Dortmund I had 38 shots on 15mins half game (won 5-1). Because of all the play cuts the game lasted a good 40 mins!

I like what he did here, it feels a bit like the ignite engine. It feels less floaty and "slidy" and at the same time it is responsive. It would be really nice if the defence could be less passive and show more interest to the ball carrier and to opponent marking.
It is also very much there in the default game to be fair with paul, but it somehow harder to create chances. Also on default, the cpu is super lethal in attack and I feel a bit hopeless when defending which is less the case with paul mod.
The defending side of the game, with those bunch of bodies not interested to do something before I decide to select them or I come close to them with the ball, is very close to already let me put this game down in less of a week of play...

You can get his career mode mod from here: https://v2k4fifamodding.azurewebsites.net/
His gameplay mod either from his Patreon (obviously no longer allowed to link to them here) or his Discord channel: https://discord.gg/fR92zgt or his soccergaming thread: http://soccergaming.com/index.php?threads/paulv2k4-fifa-20-mods.6467165/

BTW this mod is recommended for visual fanatics out there: http://soccergaming.com/index.php?threads/4k-mod-matu-turfs-reshade-ultra-lod.6467490/

Free version has just been released today.
Gameplay mode is not free? or I am wrong?

Gameplay mode is not free? or I am wrong?

The lite version is free: https://v2k4fifamodding.azurewebsites.net/FIFA20/Download/FIFA-20-Realism-Gameplay-Lite-Mod

What sliders do you guy use with @paulv2k4 gameplay mods and also what speed?

These are the ones I'm currently using:

It's really just about tweaking the stuff that's a bit WIP in the mod, eg fullbacks push up waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much.

I get what you're saying about CPU marking/space etc, although it is nice not to be constantly pressed and do some runs through the middle with the ball, just a case of finding that balance, I'm still on professional but some matches are a little easy, not sure I'm ready to move up to world class yet though so I might try improving the CPU's marking through the marking slider and maybe adjusting their lines.

Last edited:
Damn you guys are tempting me so hard to take Fifa now that it's also on sale.

Do updates screw up the mod thing as usual?

Yes every update renders mods incompatible, but generally mods are released updated within a few hours so you can continue on your merry way again, some mods release the mod file as well as the project files so you can easily create your own newly compatible mod file in seconds :)

Damn you guys are tempting me so hard to take Fifa now that it's also on sale.

Do updates screw up the mod thing as usual?

Personally I succumbed because FIFA16 started all of sudden (probably a windows update) running like shit on my PC. I have now massive FPS drop where I had stable 60 FPS experience before. I spent about a week of my free time trying to fix it with no improvement yet...

I took that as a sign and as I can't see myself playing only PES20 (it can be good football on the individual actions (player scale), but it can be a poor caricature of the sport at the teams/pitch scale).

I just had a few nights with FIFA20, on default and modded. I don't know what to think about it yet. Part of it feels good (of course the presentation is incredible) such as the slow tempo when the CPU do not first time pass which the y do not do too often. The ball physics is improved compare to 19 but still feels a bit strange. Players running animations (animations in general) feels and look weird quite often. The worst animation for me is the right stick knock on, to push the ball away to run into space. It looks so unnatural.
Then you have what is probably the most disturbing part of the game which is the new defensive system. How to describe it in a few words... The players of the defending team mostly are covering their own pitch area in a rather static/passive way and they will become "active" only if the ball comes close to them or as the user if you select them. So defending requires a LOT of player switching and moving constantly your players is a bit tiring. Secondary pressure is still a mystery for me, I am not sure yet it really does something. At least it is way different from previous games. Note that tactics seems to influence a lot the passive/active nature of the defenders, which can sounds good, but I would say that most teams I played were from the passive side, and I mean PASSIVE. Bigger teams that have the press at ball lost tactic are more active.
Finally, it is not rare to see CPU defenders jogging to try to cash you up when you are speed bursting on the wings with the ball which kills a bit the immersion.

I would say it worth a discounted price, but certainly not a full price.

PS: FIFA20 runs at 60 stable FPS on higher settings with no problem here...

Last edited:
Personally I succumbed because FIFA16 started all of sudden (probably a windows update) running like shit on my PC. I have now massive FPS drop where I had stable 60 FPS experience before. I spent about a week of my free time trying to fix it with no improvement yet...

I took that as a sign and as I can't see myself playing only PES20 (it can be good football on the individual actions (player scale), but it can be a poor caricature of the sport at the teams/pitch scale).

I just had a few nights with FIFA20, on default and modded. I don't know what to think about it yet. Part of it feels good (of course the presentation is incredible) such as the slow tempo when the CPU do not first time pass which the y do not do too often. The ball physics is improved compare to 19 but still feels a bit strange. Players running animations (animations in general) feels and look weird quite often. The worst animation for me is the right stick knock on, to push the ball away to run into space. It looks so unnatural.
Then you have what is probably the most disturbing part of the game which is the new defensive system. How to describe it in a few words... The players of the defending team mostly are covering their own pitch area in a rather static/passive way and they will become "active" only if the ball comes close to them or as the user if you select them. So defending requires a LOT of player switching and moving constantly your players is a bit tiring. Secondary pressure is still a mystery for me, I am not sure yet it really does something. At least it is way different from previous games. Note that tactics seems to influence a lot the passive/active nature of the defenders, which can sounds good, but I would say that most teams I played were from the passive side, and I mean PASSIVE. Bigger teams that have the press at ball lost tactic are more active.
Finally, it is not rare to see CPU defenders jogging to try to cash you up when you are speed bursting on the wings with the ball which kills a bit the immersion.

I would say it worth a discounted price, but certainly not a full price.

PS: FIFA20 runs at 60 stable FPS on higher settings with no problem here...

For the little I played this latest days I felt some fps drop as well on Fifa 16, not massive but definitely very noticeable. Maybe latest Origin client update? Was a recent one if I'm not wrong. It's fun cause from what I see you probably have a much more powerful pc compared to mine. Go figure.

Anyway, thanks for the through review. It seems it improved by a good margin since release. The defensive part worries me a lot, but if this gameplay mod is so good.. and I'm kinda starting to lean on your same side with pes 2020.

You mean FIFA20 right?
Yeah strangely 20 doesn't take of my GPU or CPU either. I have a Geforce GTX 1060 3GB which is not really a good gaming GPU.

Edit: Just checked, yours is a very good card.

Yeah it's a decent card, but that 16% is more a reflection of how poor the Fifa engine is, even an RX580 can do 4k and that's a £150 card.

Tried the Paul Mod at the weekend and certainly makes the game more playable and a lot more difficult.

However it still has it's issues.
The full backs overlap the wingers and have very weird positioning.
Passing and player switching is also very weird and took a couple of games to get used to.
Through balls don't go the right way or to the correct player 70% of the time.

But certainly a massive improvement over the out the box experience.

Tried the Paul Mod at the weekend and certainly makes the game more playable and a lot more difficult.

However it still has it's issues.
Passing and player switching is also very weird and took a couple of games to get used to.
Through balls don't go the right way or to the correct player 70% of the time.

But certainly a massive improvement over the out the box experience.

Which version did you try? Cause I played 3a5 and I find the attacking side ridiculously easy on ultimate with full manual controls.

Does any have his Total Conversion Update?

I have the Gameplay Alpha 4 update, but don't have the more recent ones due to not having the correct support level.

Do the following bugs exist in it - As the Alpha 4, although a massive improvement, the bugs I am finding kind of game breaking.
Through balls don't go the right way or to the correct player 70% of the time - THIS IS MY MAIN ISSUE.

As I normally play on Semi, I actually rarely use the pass button and through ball it a lot of with the through balls pretty much broken on Alpha 4 it is very difficult to get into.

I haven't upgraded yet because the broken press conference issue puts me off but someone posted really nice feedback earlier on his Discord:

papinho81 said:
I just tested the last gameplay version and I have to say it does play fantastically. The defensive line not tracking on crosses issue is gone. I didn't experience the defender back tracking issue @Topaz reported. I did notice that wingers would quite often run in the direction of the ball carrier while rising their arm to call for the ball. On default the usually do it while running into space like one could expect. Otherwise I just played Barca away with Betis and it really felt like one of those nightmare night many La Liga teams have experienced during the past ten years. I barely managed to reach Barca half. They were suffocating me with their pressing, it was really hard to string 4 passes together and I was forced to play long ball to release the pressure. It was an amazingly realistic 7-0 lost with scrappy goals, magic goals from Messi (he was on fire), a lot of physicality and a lot of fouls. Their build up was good and most importantly their defending was amazing (compared with the default game, this is night and day). In the next game I played Leganes at home and they sit back for almost all the game trying to break me down on the counter which they eventually did by the end of the game. What I really liked is that both cpu team felt really different in term of talent and in term of their approach to the game. They played like one would have expected to seem them play based on their real life counter part. I surely need to play it more, but it was surely the best footy gaming session I have had in a long time. Great job with this!!! PS: I play on Legendary, full manual, tactical defending, slow speed, 15 mins half.

Thanks for re-posting it here.
I think he is now planing a beta that should quickly become publicly available.
I am not a big fan of this discord thing. Everything feels a bit hidden and temporary, but since Paul only communicate through this canal lately...

I really liked my session last night with paul last Total Conversion gameplay mod. Away against Barca it really felt like playing the great Barca at the Camp Nou (El Liberator :( ) from the pre Valverde era. I was forced to play a certain way to escape Barca pressing and to be really focused on my next move. I really liked that. Marking is massively improved, it is really hard to go into the cpu box. It is no more a walk in the park. They destroyed me, yes, but it is in part because I started the game with an over ambitious gameplan. They went 5-0 before half time, then I decided to switch to a defensive attitude which made second half more tenable. Their goals didn't feel OP at all, some were simply magic. Just like one where Rakitic made a tiny body feint that made me engage in a slide tackle, he took one extra touch to let my player slide in front of his nose and then he passed the ball inside the box to an open Suarez. If anything, I think this game shine in the attacking approach of the AI, they really can be unpredictable. On default, the defending is a Swiss cheese, but with this mod not anymore.
I forgot to say that the way he tuned the defense and the fouls, there is now a huge risk/reward component to the defensive side of the game which also seems to stand for the cpu. You can't spam the push button.

Last edited:
I think I might have to join the higher Patreon to get the Total Conversion.

I also subscribe to Azrenka or something like that for his career mode patch thing.
However since I don't play career mode at the moment, due to shit gameplay I should really cancel my subscription to him.

Thanks for re-posting it here.
I think he is now planing a beta that should quickly become publicly available.
I am not a big fan of this discord thing. Everything feels a bit hidden and temporary, but since Paul only communicate through this canal lately...

I really liked my session last night with paul last Total Conversion gameplay mod yesterday. Away against Barca it really felt like playing the great Barca at the Camp Nou (El Liberator :( ) from the pre Valverde era. I was forced to play a certain way to escape Barca pressing and to be really focused on my next move. I really liked that. Marking is massively improved, it is really hard to go into the cpu box. It is no more a walk in the park. They destroyed me, yes, but it is in part because I started the game with an over ambitious gameplan. They went 5-0 before half time, then I decided to switch to a defensive attitude which made second half more tenable. Their goals didn't felt OP at all, some where simply magic. Just like one where Rakitic made a tiny body feint that made me engage in a slide tackle, he took one extra touch to let my player slide in front of his nose and then he passed the ball inside the box to an open Suarez. If anything, I think this game shine in the attacking approach of the AI, they really can be unpredictable. On default, the defending is a Swiss cheese, but with this mod not anymore.
I forgot to say that the way he tuned the defense and the fouls, there is now huge risk/reward component to the defensive side of the game which also seems to stand for the cpu. You can't spam the push button.

Wow, I'm drooling.. I know you certainly aren't one to give out praises for nothing..

Bit busy and most of all not in the mood lately so I'm not playing much, but I'm super tempted to pick it up.. hope you'll keep reporting whenever you test :) .

Last edited:
I think I might have to join the higher Patreon to get the Total Conversion.

I also subscribe to Azrenka or something like that for his career mode patch thing.
However since I don't play career mode at the moment, due to shit gameplay I should really cancel my subscription to him.

Note that some users that play with assisted or semi assisted settings reported bugs with through passes. I didn't see anything like that with manual settings.

Note that some users that play with assisted or semi assisted settings reported bugs with through passes. I didn't see anything like that with manual settings.

I will give it a go then with manual through balls, as I play semi passing and shooting and auto through balls and half the time they do not go to the correct player.

I tried Paul's gameplay mod and have to say, I'm not a fan.
I know he tried his best, but I just don't see how it improves the game at all. Everything felt faster and players were ice-skating a lot more.
I tried the latest version on his website which I assume is not the private one you're all talking about but I just can't see how the next version would be a totally different thing. It's probably a refined, improved version. But I'm sure it still wouldn't suit me.

The things I'm looking to be improved in FIFA have been the same for the past 3 years: Dribbling, contextual dribbling, overall game pace, less ice-skating, players taking more time to finish each animation. Unfortunately I think all of those are buried in the game's own mechanics and cannot be tweaked with some strings on an ini file.

Same way there's a limit to what I can do with the turfs, grass textures, colors, etc... I can only re-work them, create new ones, try to find better combinations... but there's a limit. To go further than that, I'd need access to the shaders, the engine, etc.

Last edited:
I tried Paul's gameplay mod and have to say, I'm not a fan.
I know he tried his best, but I just don't see how it improves the game at all. Everything felt faster and players were ice-skating a lot more.
I tried the latest version on his website which I assume is not the private one you're all talking about but I just can't see how the next version would be a totally different thing. It's probably a refined, improved version. But I'm sure it still wouldn't suit me.

He's total conversion mod is done through a completely different approach. He is no longer relying only on the locale.ini but he edits many variables that are in the fifa/attribulator?/gameplay variables through frosty.

I didn't try his light version so I can't say if it does feel different. But surely for me the difference between the last alpha TC and the previous one is immense. Fast is not an adjective I would use to describe it when played on slow speed.

He's total conversion mod is done through a completely different approach. He is no longer relying only on the locale.ini but he edits many variables that are in the fifa/attribulator?/gameplay variables through frosty.

I didn't try his light version so I can't say if it does feel different. But surely for me the difference between the last alpha TC and the previous one is immense. Fast is not an adjective I would use to describe it when played on slow speed.

Sorry I edited my post after you replied to me.
Oh yeah I saw those lines while working on my mod, I thought they wouldn't do anything to be honest. Like many of the things I've tried, they seem to have no effect in the game. Well, I trust your taste because you and I share the same love for FIFA 16, so if you say it made FIFA 20 better, then I have to, at least, give it a shot ;)

Well I never really spend a second looking at stats. As long as the gameplay feels right while playing and as long as I see the actions I picture in mi mind represented on the pitch, I'm happy.

I remember that I always liked Supernova's gameplay patch a lot more than Fidel's or Paul's for FIFA 16.
But this year there aren't many modders doing gameplay, which is strange given how bad FIFA 20 is, out of the box.

Back
Top Bottom