FIFA 16 simulation gameplay (video)

El Pajaro

Championship
14 May 2008
Here's some video footage of our gameplay modifications.

What we have achieved:

In real football there's approximately 15-25 fouls per game. In default arcade FIFA and PES games there's approximately 0-3 fouls per game. That's just laughable.

In Ciais' modification there's approximately 9-20 fouls per game. This is a MAJOR improvement and adds to the realism tremendously. Player and CPU get 1-2 GOOD free kick opportunities per game. Cards are balanced. There are fouls from players fighting for the headers, there are offensive team fouls after corner kicks, there are fouls from players pushing eachother, etc.

THERE ARE FOULS THAT DO NOT EXIST IN THE DEFAULT GAME. This is not a fake "gameplay exe" that doesn't change one bit. This really, really works.

When you choose a defensive system it's now easier to actually play DEFENSIVE game and close the doors. The ball possession ability of defenders has increased.

CPU tries long balls now and shoots from volleys. More long distance shots are now going to the stands.

The most typical score is 1-0, 2-1 and 2-0. I've played many 0-0 games too, which don't happen in PES games, ever.

If you're looking for arcade action, don't try this mod. If you're looking for simulation gameplay, this (imho) is the best ever option.

Increased team aggression. Ciais can explain the tech details, he's the man behind the tweaks.

The game pace looks like real football. This FEELS like real football. I'm an ex-player myself and a junior team coach. I know my football. Default FIFA 16 is very good game but this puts it into another level.

Just look at the video. And keep in mind that I'm not a great player. I play from the keyboard so there's not going to be any fancy moves there. :D

Here's the actual video footage of the changed gameplay. In the end (after 120 minutes) there was 12 fouls for the CPU and 8 for the user. NONE of the fouls came from the sliding tackle button.

Played with: Legendary difficulty, 15 min. halfs, Ciais' settings, plus I have increased pass speed for the user.

Last edited:
If a typical match has 15-25 fouls and you're playing 30 minute matches, you'd want 5-8 fouls per game. Cranking it up to 9-20 per game is just as far from 'realistic' as the default gameplay. Just my two cents. The gameplay video looks pretty good, although chafing at the limits of 16's engine, but I don't understand the focus on fouls.

20 fouls is typical for 120 minutes (like this played game)

Because there is shorter gameplay should there be less goals, corners and shots too? Now they're all in realistic level. Why shouldn't there be realistic amount of free kicks and fouls in a football game? :SHOCK:

Lack of fouls is _the most complained gameplay issue_ in these games and we fixed it.

Either way this video shows the gameplay very well. CPU attempts long balls a lot which looks very realistic. The deciding goal by the CPU (Germany) was a great example of their counterattacking abilities. It was due to my soft playing in the midfield and losing the ball. This is what I like about FIFA 16... you NEVER feel cheated when the CPU wins or scores.

@Chuny check the video out. As requested here's the sim gameplay footage.

@MadbaLL too. I know you don't have a modern computer but you'd still want to see it. Cheers man!

Last edited:
Yes. I only increased the pass speed for myself (just a personal preference).

One of the things I have ever loved the most about 16 is the dribbling mechanics. The contextual dribbling. The inertia and momentum.

I'm getting from your videos that your style is more about passing. Which I like, and I play like that myself.
Except for the fact that once I get the ball to a talented dribbler that's in an advantageous situation, I try to get past the opponent by wrong footing them or dribbling past them. I haven't seen that in your videos. I don't know if this new gameplay is preventing all of that from happening, or it's just that you don't try at all.

Do you have any videos of dribbling on 1 on 1 situations?.

I'm playing from the keyboard. I'm not a good video football game player. That's probably the reason you don't see it. :D

When it comes to features every single thing from the original FIFA 16 is there.

Don't concentrate to my crappy playing but observe the game speed, flow, long CPU balls, amount of fouls, etc. Does it look like real football or not? In my opinion it DOES. Much, much more than anything else I've seen.

Maybe I can answer this.

Dribbling has been reduced proportionally for all players, so it should be harder in theory to stick the ball to your feet, but not in a way that you constantly lose the ball.

On the other hand, I exponentially reduced Sprint Speed and Acceleration so that fast players are fast compared to slow ones (the FIFA engine needs at least a 40-50 point differential for that). Fast dribblers should fly past slow defenders.

Agility has been reduced too, so only the very top players have it at 80+, while the rest have it in the 20s IIRC -- more inertia, and no more changing direction quickly like it's nothing.

Hope it helps.

Saludos :))

Maybe I can answer this.

Dribbling has been reduced proportionally for all players, so it should be harder in theory to stick the ball to your feet, but not in a way that you constantly lose the ball.

On the other hand, I exponentially reduced Sprint Speed and Acceleration so that fast players are fast compared to slow ones (the FIFA engine needs at least a 40-50 point differential for that). Fast dribblers should fly past slow defenders.

Agility has been reduced too, so only the very top players have it at 80+, while the rest have it in the 20s IIRC -- more inertia, and no more changing direction quickly like it's nothing.

Hope it helps.

Sounds great!
I might give it a shot afterall :D
I just would like to see how players such as Hazard, Messi, Neymar, etc behave in terms of individuality and Player ID?.
If you have some videos, please do show!
This area of football is so very important to me.

Player individuality (or lack of it) is probably in the hardcode. There's no way any global settings can affect the player individuality. The best option is to adjust those few selected players from the game rosters yourself (ability settings).

El Pajaro is right, there's only so much we can do.

That's why I left Agility, Sprint Speed, Acceleration, Vision as high as possible for players who originally have those attributes high -- so they stand out more. Again, in theory. Remember, we are talking about EA's FIFA here :))

In any case, I'm gonna try making a video (maybe Barcelona-PSG?) for you, but I don't know how it will come out (the video I mean, I'm new to screen grabbing and my laptop isn't AAA material :D)

You're probably right. OBS Studio, while being great and full of options, always makes my videos jerky no matter what (I apologize in advance to @Chuny :()

Uploading it to Youtube now

Yeah all my recordings were jerky too until I started using NVidia's built-in recorder.

Sorry for the OT, but you guys were right: GeForce Experience is amazing! Gameplay is fluid, the video is fluid and top 1080p quality. My only complaint is the filesize: 1 GB every 2 minutes, but I think I'll manage :PP

Here's some video footage of our gameplay modifications.

What we have achieved:

In real football there's approximately 15-25 fouls per game. In default arcade FIFA and PES games there's approximately 0-3 fouls per game. That's just laughable.

In Ciais' modification there's approximately 9-20 fouls per game. This is a MAJOR improvement and adds to the realism tremendously. Player and CPU get 1-2 GOOD free kick opportunities per game. Cards are balanced. There are fouls from players fighting for the headers, there are offensive team fouls after corner kicks, there are fouls from players pushing eachother, etc.

THERE ARE FOULS THAT DO NOT EXIST IN THE DEFAULT GAME. This is not a fake "gameplay exe" that doesn't change one bit. This really, really works.

When you choose a defensive system it's now easier to actually play DEFENSIVE game and close the doors. The ball possession ability of defenders has increased.

CPU tries long balls now and shoots from volleys. More long distance shots are now going to the stands.

The most typical score is 1-0, 2-1 and 2-0. I've played many 0-0 games too, which don't happen in PES games, ever.

If you're looking for arcade action, don't try this mod. If you're looking for simulation gameplay, this (imho) is the best ever option.

Increased team aggression. Ciais can explain the tech details, he's the man behind the tweaks.

The game pace looks like real football. This FEELS like real football. I'm an ex-player myself and a junior team coach. I know my football. Default FIFA 16 is very good game but this puts it into another level.

Just look at the video. And keep in mind that I'm not a great player. I play from the keyboard so there's not going to be any fancy moves there. :D

Here's what you need:

Gameplay testing version 2019-03-20

As always thanks to andersfss, AndreaPirlo21, bangus, Chris Davies, El Pajaro, fideco, Fidel Gameplay, fifaCCitiu.com, Krebstar, Madmac79, Matt10, miketheslummy, papinho81, paulv2k4, pedrito79, regularcat, Supernova, plus all the rest I surely forgot :))

• cl.ini:

• cmsettings.ini:
    If you already have this file in dlc\dlc_FootballCompEng\dlc\FootballCompEng\data\, replace these lines: If not, extract this in your FIFA 16 folder and launch ModdingWayInstaller.exe: https://mega.nz/#!GxdiQA4T!97NeNmaIkQK53-R-2yX0XbI8es-rc4k6UgS6EkJd0aI
    Re-balanced fatigue recovery (NOT TESTED YET!!! LET ME KNOW IF PLAYERS DO RECOVER IN 4-5 DAYS)

Here's the actual video footage of the changed gameplay. In the end (after 120 minutes) there was 12 fouls for the CPU and 8 for the user. NONE of the fouls came from the sliding tackle button.

Played with: Legendary difficulty, 15 min. halfs, Ciais' settings, plus I have increased pass speed for the user.

Cool video. Which camera setting is that?

Camera setting: Tele.

Detail settings.

lvDEGxa.jpg

Just watched a football game. A bit scrappier game.

49 fouls total.

VDHUUjF.jpg

I don't want to be rude to anyone... but honestly... you have to be special kind of lunatic to make excuses for vanilla FIFA & PES 1 foul per game standard.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.

We've been pretty much called lunatics ourselves, in this very thread, for wanting so many fouls.

Who's right and who's wrong? Nobody. We all have our tastes.

Just browse in here for a few minutes and you'll see that people play PES, PES2, PES3, PES4, PES5, WE9, PES6, FIFA 14, FIFA 15, FIFA 16, FIFA 17, and on and on, and each has a different reason.

We seek fouls (and a more realistic gameplay in general, too, we're not foul fanatics). Chuny seeks player individuality. Madmac79 and Chris Davies want to play a realistic and fun Career. Pap plays the Demo, and he's 100% fine with it.

Honestly, everytime I tweak and edit the gameplay, and then I play test, I never see the things the you claim to see. Maybe it's because I'm a pessimist by nature, but I'm a perfectionist and what you may think is perfect, I think it is not. I don't claim that what I'm trying to accomplish here is "the truth".

So again forgive me, but I don't agree with you on this one.

Francesco

It's not a taste thing. People want to play football simulation. Football is a sport that has offsides, goals, yellow cards, red cards, penalties and FOULS. If you want to play a football game without fouls you don't want to play football simulation. You want to play football arcade game.

It's like playing a hockey game without penalties. Or a F1-game without being able to drive the car off the track. Or a boxing game without knockouts. Or going to a strip bar that has no ladies at all.

It has nothing to do with football _simulation_ if you completely overlook one essential element in the game. It can be a fun game, yes, but not a _simulation_ of the actual sport. That's my point.

Sorry man, but I'm with Ciais on this one.

It is indeed a taste thing because you, for example, hold fouls in a much higher regard than something else.
But what of the guy that wants more individuality? Or the one that wants teams to play more like they do in real life? You think this stuff is less important or foundational if you really want to call a game a "simulation"?

I'm sorry but while Fifa 16 is certainly great in many aspects.. it is lacking in others.. as any other football game existent. That's why I grow everyday more certain that absolute comparisons between titles are pointless. The best football games to ever came out are only good at highlighting a limited number of fun/realistic features.. but we never had the complete package. And that's also why I jump from one to another.

The sad truth is that any title in this age (and past) does have a great "arcade" percentage.. it's just about how much you are personally willing to accept.

Back
Top Bottom