Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

i'm pretty sure most players on the game do infact have two feet

If you've ever seen Luis Valencia shoot with his weaker foot you'd realise it was almost definitely prosthetic.

I'm writing a mail to Gary P about footedness. Who would you say are the best 2 or 3 examples for how you'd allocate each of the 5 stars, with 3 stars being average ability and reduced frequency, 1 star being a stump for standing on only, and 5 star being essentially two-footed? I've got some but I want to try and mix up the types of player a bit more. Ideally we'd separate frequency and ability but I'm not sure they'll do anything like that this year, unless I can also convince them to make 'one-footed' and 'two-footed' traits on top of the star ratings.

I like to think Valencia has two right feet and that is meant as no complement.

I think Fifa has altered the footing situation somewhat because i remember in 09 and 10 how left footed players would always shoot with their right feet and the shot was always rubbish but when it came to right footed players shooting with their left feet they were always alright. Now left footed player do tend to use their left feet more than their right. I had an incident with Vicente the other day where i went to line up a shot forgetting it was him and he shot with his left whereas i positioned him as if to shoot with his right.

If anything the game needs to be smarter about knowing which feet to shoot with at any given instant (i.e take into account body shape and positioning). Like allow Vicente to shoot with his right from that angle because the left didn't seem that realistic but scuff it up if he's got poor technique with his weaker foot. It's more of a throwback to what we saw with 09/10 in a way but it makes more sense.

RE: Your question It's pretty difficult because i wouldn't say there are many players who can't use their weaker foot. I can tell you who is good at it but it's harder to tell who is bad at it because that's a question of frequency. Players like Anderson, Luis Valencia, Cashley Cole rarely use their weaker foot but i bet if they wanted to they could, it's just they're reluctant to by the looks of it, however i do not know this at all so can't comment on their ability. If that's what makes them one footed by your ruling then so be it.

Last edited:
ahh, I thought it was weird that I couldn't buy wilshere, always just had the option to loan him.

Yup, this was a major problem for me because I'd wanted to play the game's career mode by building a squad of some of the most talented youngsters around. I thought Wilshere was a really good, tricky player in the demo and thought it'd be cool to build my club's midfield around him, then develop him throughout. Boy was I wrong. He spends the entire CM sitting in Arsenal's reserves occasionally going out on loan. That's it. The only solution to use him is to play as Arsenal, but then other players you might want to strengthen with in future seasons are severely restricted down to anyone who didn't transfer this summer.

Last edited:
1 - Ashley Cole, 2 - Messi, 3 - Gerrard, 4 - C.Ronaldo/Milner, 5 - ?

Five is a tough one. Zidane was quite two-footed. Maldini! Wesley Sneijder? Diego Forlan can strike a clean shot with either foot. Obafemi Martins perhaps, despite inconsistency with both.

Can you ask Gary to add a zero to the scale (no feet) for Emile Heskey?

Last edited:
I'm writing a mail to Gary P about footedness. Who would you say are the best 2 or 3 examples for how you'd allocate each of the 5 stars, with 3 stars being average ability and reduced frequency, 1 star being a stump for standing on only, and 5 star being essentially two-footed? I've got some but I want to try and mix up the types of player a bit more. Ideally we'd separate frequency and ability but I'm not sure they'll do anything like that this year, unless I can also convince them to make 'one-footed' and 'two-footed' traits on top of the star ratings.

1. Why does it take an Email to a producer to tell him about the footedness being an issue? It's been an issue pre ng console and has been reported in feedback on their forums 100s of times over the years, over the versions of the game, if he isn't aware there is still a significant problem in the lack of weakness in weak foot he should not be in the job.

2. One footed trait has been in next gen Fifa since day one, it's called "Avoids Using Weaker Foot", a good example of someone having it is Chris Brunt, who according to stats cannot use anything other than his left foot, of course we all know he can hit 30 yard screamers in Fifa with his right foot as he can hit first time right foot crosses perfectly into the box in Fifa, this is known and reported dating back to Fifa08 and before, Fifa11 is the first Fifa where wrong foot first time balls have a consequence so it is at least a step (no pun intended) in the right direction, but as always with EA Sports it will be baby steps for the next 10 years until it's almost at an accurate level.

1 - Ashley Cole, 2 - Messi, 3 - Gerrard, 4 - C.Ronaldo/Milner, 5 - ?

Five is a tough one. Zidane was quite two-footed. Maldini! Wesley Sneijder? Diego Forlan can strike a clean shot with either foot. Obafemi Martins perhaps, despite inconsistency with both.

Can you ask Gary to add a zero to the scale (no feet) for Emile Heskey?

The alternative is Heskey (and Zigic) 5 with 0 for the relevant attributes...

Cheers Placebo, I'll edit for point 2.

2. One footed trait has been in next gen Fifa since day one, it's called "Avoids Using Weaker Foot", a good example of someone having it is Chris Brunt
Another hidden trait. I really don't understand why they don't just show all traits. Although maybe in this case it's hidden because they haven't bothered to code its effect yet.

When it comes to weak-foot ability/frequency, I worry that FIFA's gameplay is too fast to incorporate greater consequences for not being mindful of which foot your player prefers. In PES you have that little extra time needed to set body position; adding greater variety foot ability/frequency might be too difficult without a commitment to slowdown gameplay, so that players have the time to process the gameplay feedback necessary for such a feature to be effective. So while I'm ALL for adding/improving foot preferences in FIFA, there's really little point unless EA are willing to slow down gameplay. Am I wrong?

Oh, and when I think of current one-footed players, the first that comes to mind of a highly-skilled one-footed player is Angel di Maria at Real Madrid - he avoids his right foot like it was the plague but his left is genius and can cross using the outside of his left better than many players can cross with the inside of their preferred foot. At times it's comical seeing the lengths he'll go to, to avoid using his right, and I'd love for this to be in FIFA. Also, seeing Messi putting in perfect crosses with his right foot makes me want to throw up.

@LTFC: wow, that is a massive bug. How is something like that not caught before release? Or not fixed post-release? Simply inexcusable. Poor design decisions aside, it really seems to me like they had hardly anyone working on CM last year, for so many issues to slip through the cracks. Hopefully they've added more than just Simon Humber to the team.

I want to correct something I said in a previous post. Regarding my effectiveness with manual vs assisted passing, I said that I was finding little statistical difference over the length of a match between the various passing settings. Upon further inspection I've realized this to be untrue, and there is a decline in my passing percentage by about five percentage points when I go from assisted to semi, and then semi to manual: with manual passing I typically complete approximately 80 percent; mid 80s with semi; and high 80s if not low 90s with assisted.

I also should point out that these percentages are based on my CM with Lillestrom in Norway - a 2.5 star rated team (at least that's their current rating in my CM) - however I haven't found all that great variety in my passing completions depending on the teams I use. I also see no significant variety in CPU passing success and rarely see the CPU percentage drop below 80.

As the saying goes, football is a game of "pass and move." As long as passing is so unrealistically represented in FIFA, the essence of the sport is not done justice.

For example (which has to do with yesterday's Arsenal-Barca match),

when playing as Arsenal in FIFA is it even possible to pass as poorly as they did yesterday against Barca? On manual, sure, but on semi, let alone assisted?

Last edited:
When it comes to weak-foot ability/frequency, I worry that FIFA's gameplay is too fast to incorporate greater consequences for not being mindful of which foot your player prefers. In PES you have that little extra time needed to set body position; adding greater variety foot ability/frequency might be too difficult without a commitment to slowdown gameplay, so that players have the time to process the gameplay feedback necessary for such a feature to be effective. So while I'm ALL for adding/improving foot preferences in FIFA, there's really little point unless EA are willing to slow down gameplay. Am I wrong?

No, you're right. This change would make a difference even now, but it would inevitably be watered down if the game was kept as blisteringly quick as it is now. But of course footedness isn't the only thing I want changed!

Oh, and when I think of current one-footed players, the first that comes to mind of a highly-skilled one-footed player is Angel di Maria at Real Madrid - he avoids his right foot like it was the plague but his left is genius and can cross using the outside of his left better than many players can cross with the inside of their preferred foot. At times it's comical seeing the lengths he'll go to, to avoid using his right, and I'd love for this to be in FIFA. Also, seeing Messi putting in perfect crosses with his right foot makes me want to throw up.

Can't believe I didn't put Quaresma in there...

Quaresma, of course!

Yeah, I don't seem to be able to sidestep players with it alone. It's the right stick move afterwards that does it for me.
I pulled off one of those today, with Albrighton at Old Trafford. It's the first clip in this video (before hitting the post). The touch with the outside of the right foot is the Skill Dribble touch, then the push with the left foot is the right thumbstick knock-on.

The second clip shows more of what I was talking about, just using it as a tool to pivot your way out of tight situations. The first-touch is deliberately away from Nani, then two Skill Dribble touches with the inside of the boot keeps the ball out of Fletcher's reach. The goal that follows is worth seeing if only for Rio's off-the-ball antics :Y1

YouTube - FIFA11 Skill Dribble.flv

Regarding the "Skill Dribble" feature, you know the name of it was changed for FIFA 11? As listed here, in the manual the use of LT + RT is called "free move." Curious that, isn't it?

I have no idea why they changed the name, and it's not really important, but I point it out because it underlines how vague and poorly explained this move is. The move itself has had a positive evolution imo: in its first year it was a terribly unrealistic football movement and it's only improved since. Now it's a much more organic technique (which maybe is the reasoning behind the "free move" name?), and one that better simulates pushing the ball sideways with the outside of the boot, but I think there's still room for improvement.

For starters, because it's never really explained, no one has a good idea of just what exactly its purpose is. There's certainly something to be said for learning the intricacies of a game for oneself, but it's still nice to have a decent basis of knowledge from which to start. As for the move itself, I can't explain it but I feel as if there remains some untapped potential in using LT + RT in "sticky" situations, maybe through some shielding movements or something. Just a thought.

Personally, I kinda suck at using LT + RT - maybe because I rarely play with top teams and my players just suck at dribbling! - but when it works, it can be pretty sweet.

Has Simon Humber been added to FIFA12 for sure then?

That'd be a positive move, as I felt the World Cup game was better (if not realistic). I don't think however that his involvement will mean any increase in quality control or communication to forums though. He was all over the World Cup forum like a rash pre-release, then once the game came out and lots of issues came to the fore, he scarpered quicker than Dick Turpin.

Plus, all the World Cup game had to do was create a game mode where you play in a tiny league of 6-8 teams in qualifying, then the basic World Cup tournament layout. Somehow EA still managed to screw that up, with lots of people reporting problems whereby you'd finish, say, second in a group, in the qualification places, but a bug meant you'd still not qualify. Someone finishing out of the qualification places and lower down the table would go through instead of you. EA never patched it, people on the official forum went crazy, EA vanished until the FIFA11 promo bandwagon started again.

Sounds all too familiar to me.

I want to correct something I said in a previous post. Regarding my effectiveness with manual vs assisted passing, I said that I was finding little statistical difference over the length of a match between the various passing settings. Upon further inspection I've realized this to be untrue, and there is a decline in my passing percentage by about five percentage points when I go from assisted to semi, and then semi to manual: with manual passing I typically complete approximately 80 percent; mid 80s with semi; and high 80s if not low 90s with assisted.

I also should point out that these percentages are based on my CM with Lillestrom in Norway - a 2.5 star rated team (at least that's their current rating in my CM) - however I haven't found all that great variety in my passing completions depending on the teams I use. I also see no significant variety in CPU passing success and rarely see the CPU percentage drop below 80.

As the saying goes, football is a game of "pass and move." As long as passing is so unrealistically represented in FIFA, the essence of the sport is not done justice.

For example (which has to do with yesterday's Arsenal-Barca match),

when playing as Arsenal in FIFA is it even possible to pass as poorly as they did yesterday against Barca? On manual, sure, but on semi, let alone assisted?

YOu mean passing should be less accurate? Less complete more often

Regarding the "Skill Dribble" feature, you know the name of it was changed for FIFA 11? As listed here, in the manual the use of LT + RT is called "free move." Curious that, isn't it?

I have no idea why they changed the name, and it's not really important, but I point it out because it underlines how vague and poorly explained this move is. The move itself has had a positive evolution imo: in its first year it was a terribly unrealistic football movement and it's only improved since. Now it's a much more organic technique (which maybe is the reasoning behind the "free move" name?), and one that better simulates pushing the ball sideways with the outside of the boot, but I think there's still room for improvement.

For starters, because it's never really explained, no one has a good idea of just what exactly its purpose is. There's certainly something to be said for learning the intricacies of a game for oneself, but it's still nice to have a decent basis of knowledge from which to start. As for the move itself, I can't explain it but I feel as if there remains some untapped potential in using LT + RT in "sticky" situations, maybe through some shielding movements or something. Just a thought.

Personally, I kinda suck at using LT + RT - maybe because I rarely play with top teams and my players just suck at dribbling! - but when it works, it can be pretty sweet.

What is Lt+Rt on ps3.

I cahnged R2 as run to R1 if that makes a difference also?

Yes, passing on the default control settings is one of the more unrealistic aspects of FIFA's gameplay, an issue we've been raising for years, and is one of the reasons more advanced players use either semi or manual controls, although even then issues with the passing system remain. Pro Passing was EA's attempt to make passing more authentic but it neither adjusts passing in the right way - it makes passing slower rather than adding greater directional error - nor does it do enough overall. In addition, passing by CPU teams rarely drops below 80 percent, which is unrealistic especially for the lower ranked teams.

Right now FIFA places too much emphasis on tackling for changes in possession, so the most simplest solution is to increase passing error and on the defensive side decrease the effectiveness of tackling. Unfortunately, doing so would increase the challenge in both the passing and defensive sides of the game, and apparently EA wishes to make the game as easy to play as possible. The result is a diluted, unrealistic, and dumb-downed version of football.

LT + RT = L2 + R2; and yes it makes a difference that you switched R2 to R1.

Yes, passing on the default control settings is one of the more unrealistic aspects of FIFA's gameplay, an issue we've been raising for years, and is one of the reasons more advanced players use either semi or manual controls, although even then issues with the passing system remain. Pro Passing was EA's attempt to make passing more authentic but it neither adjusts passing in the right way - it makes passing slower rather than adding greater directional error - nor does it do enough overall. In addition, passing by CPU teams rarely drops below 80 percent, which is unrealistic especially for the lower ranked teams.

Right now FIFA places too much emphasis on tackling for changes in possession, so the most simplest solution is to increase passing error and on the defensive side decrease the effectiveness of tackling. Unfortunately, doing so would increase the challenge in both the passing and defensive sides of the game, and apparently EA wishes to make the game as easy to play as possible. The result is a diluted, unrealistic, and dumb-downed version of football.

LT + RT = L2 + R2; and yes it makes a difference that you switched R2 to R1.

Right IMO another issue is passes are messed up because you cannot do fast passes to further ahead plaeyers.

Eg..you want to bypass one player and pass to player ahead of him so you hold pass but the pass still goes real slow and 9/10 times is intercepted so you have no choice but to only pass to closest teamates. You can off course press O for long pass but I dotn always want to ahve to lob a ball even just 20-30 yds to bypass 1 teammate. still IMO you should be able to ground pass to players in distance fast to there feet etc...in FIFA it is worhtless as said too slow and always intercepted.

And yes too much of the game is focused on aggresive claustaphobic pressure. If passing accuracy was slightly harder and less pressure from opponents and more space it might make the game a bit more funner?

I think the pressing all ove rthe pitch spoils the game...Espeically midfeild etc..fair enough on edge of box...Some games can just be a claustopric midfeild battle with minimal chances excpet counter attacks.

When I was new to the game I could domiante teams and online but would get beat as the oppponent would get better chances on the counter attack. Even 2 counter attack chances are better than 10 chances when pressing with heavy possesion.

However, now I have imporved I can socre more easily so it is not much a problem as it was.

I'm not sure what the actual manual says because it's not in front of me, but during certain situations (mainly, without the ball at your feet) LT+RT allows "free move" in the sense that it's FIFA's version of "super cancel" from PES.

For example, when player A passes the ball to player B and you want to change player B's "automatic homing" path to the ball, you can switch to control player B (lb) and then use LT+RT to take over the control of player B's path. This can work great as a "dummying" move to fake like you are going to receive the ball or something.

RT+LT is also useful to (super) cancel an animation such as a jump or pass before it happens. If you accidentally press pass and want to cancel it, you can use LT+RT to cancel the pass from happening.

I have no idea if this stuff is in the manual or not, but it is how it works... aside from doing skilled dribbling when you are on the ball.

Something I realised the otherday when playing 11, after reading the comments about the WC game on FSB, was that they have removed the directional control for chesting the ball down. I though that was a great little animation that enabled you turn turn from the defender/midfielder to keep the ball moving and the game flowing. Started testing it out on 11 and every ball at chest height is controlled towards where the ball came from. Really poor and annoying after the other control scheme.

Something I realised the otherday when playing 11, after reading the comments about the WC game on FSB, was that they have removed the directional control for chesting the ball down. I though that was a great little animation that enabled you turn turn from the defender/midfielder to keep the ball moving and the game flowing. Started testing it out on 11 and every ball at chest height is controlled towards where the ball came from. Really poor and annoying after the other control scheme.

Yeah that was a feature I absolutely loved in the World Cup game. With the better players, you could use it to turn into space, or in advanced positions even turn a defender and put yourself through on goal. It allowed attacking moves to be far more fluid.

In fact the directional chest control was one of the most praised things to come out of that game. Why on earth would EA then decide to not include it in FIFA11? I know they were technically two different games made by two different teams, but the FIFA10 & 11 team had the code right there to put it in. Yet more bizarre thinking.

You really don't see this kind of thing in any other genre. Take Killzone 3 for example, or even Drake's Fortune 3 which looks amazing. All the best stuff from the previous games are included and expanded upon, making each game better and better. Why then do both EA and Konami constantly remove things from their games? They feel so lazy in comparison to other genres. I mean it's 2011 and FIFA still doesn't even have a decent celebration/trophy lifting ceremony when you win a cup. Given that's a massive part of winning a cup final, and the main part of the atmosphere of big matches, it's baffling they still can't be bothered even when the previous World Cup game did have a decent, long, celebration sequence. All EA had to do was take the WC game's cut scenes when the ball goes out of play (which were optional if you didn't like them), celebtrations, intros, manager cut scenes etc and put them into FIFA11 exactly the same. But no, they're totally removed altogether. I know that's not all that important in terms of gameplay but does affect the feeling of atmosphere. And atmosphere plays a huge part in replicating the sport.

Last edited:
Yeah that was a feature I absolutely loved in the World Cup game. With the better players, you could use it to turn into space, or in advanced positions even turn a defender and put yourself through on goal. It allowed attacking moves to be far more fluid.

In fact the directional chest control was one of the most praised things to come out of that game. Why on earth would EA then decide to not include it in FIFA11? I know they were technically two different games made by two different teams, but the FIFA10 & 11 team had the code right there to put it in. Yet more bizarre thinking.

You really don't see this kind of thing in any other genre. Take Killzone 3 for example, or even Drake's Fortune 3 which looks amazing. All the best stuff from the previous games are included and expanded upon, making each game better and better. Why then do both EA and Konami constantly remove things from their games? They feel so lazy in comparison to other genres. I mean it's 2011 and FIFA still doesn't even have a decent celebration/trophy lifting ceremony when you win a cup. Given that's a massive part of winning a cup final, and the main part of the atmosphere of big matches, it's baffling they still can't be bothered even when the previous World Cup game did have a decent, long, celebration sequence. All EA had to do was take the WC game's cut scenes when the ball goes out of play (which were optional if you didn't like them), celebtrations, intros, manager cut scenes etc and put them into FIFA11 exactly the same. But no, they're totally removed altogether. I know that's not all that important in terms of gameplay but does affect the feeling of atmosphere. And atmosphere plays a huge part in replicating the sport.

DO you think fifa wc 2010 is better than 2011?

Sometimes when I play the WC2010 gmae I think not only is it better its smoother and the graphics are nicer.

IS this just my imagiantion?

Is it 2 different teams that make the game?

What diffrences you notice between wc2010 and fifa11?

There is 1 Gameplay team and then a separate "mode" teams

FIFA (Core)
WC/Euro (Specials)
FUT (Online)

I'm not sure what the actual manual says because it's not in front of me, but during certain situations (mainly, without the ball at your feet) LT+RT allows "free move" in the sense that it's FIFA's version of "super cancel" from PES.

For example, when player A passes the ball to player B and you want to change player B's "automatic homing" path to the ball, you can switch to control player B (lb) and then use LT+RT to take over the control of player B's path. This can work great as a "dummying" move to fake like you are going to receive the ball or something.

RT+LT is also useful to (super) cancel an animation such as a jump or pass before it happens. If you accidentally press pass and want to cancel it, you can use LT+RT to cancel the pass from happening.

I have no idea if this stuff is in the manual or not, but it is how it works... aside from doing skilled dribbling when you are on the ball.

I guess you didn't click on the link... holding down LT + RT = "free move" while just tapping the two buttons = cancel. It's been like that for a few years now.

Chesting is one of my pet peeves in FIFA 11, was great in the WC game, and its hard to imagine it not changing for 12. It's always hard to go back and play an earlier game, which is missing the benefits of time and newer features (like the bouncing lob pass that is in 11 but not the WC game), but in my opinion the WC has better balanced gameplay, is more authentic, and not as exploitable by easy tackling and defending as 11 is.

That said, I'm not sure 11 is necessarily a step backwards, it's just not much of a step forward. For FIFA 12, considering all attention and resources can be devoted to one game, there really is no reason to not expect a solid step forward.

There is 1 Gameplay team and then a separate "mode" teams

FIFA (Core)
WC/Euro (Specials)
FUT (Online)

You positive about that?

I'm pretty sure EA said (whatever that's worth!) they were completely separate teams. Besides, if they are the same gameplay team, why such a difference in how gameplay "feels" or why positive additions to the WC game like directional chesting didn't make it into 11?

If I had to guess I'd say they probably had one gameplay team... divided into two last year. There have been no shortage of "FIFA 11 is a half-arsed effort" complaints and diverting resources between two games in one year is a pretty simple explanation for that. As the saying goes, the simplest explanation...

You positive about that?

I'm pretty sure EA said (whatever that's worth!) they were completely separate teams. Besides, if they are the same gameplay team, why such a difference in how gameplay "feels" or why positive additions to the WC game like directional chesting didn't make it into 11?

If I had to guess I'd say they probably had one gameplay team... divided into two last year. There have been no shortage of "FIFA 11 is a half-arsed effort" complaints and diverting resources between two games in one year is a pretty simple explanation for that. As the saying goes, the simplest explanation...

I am fairly confident its one team.

Why there is a difference is two fold. The first being that the WC game was engineered for a more "fun" experience. The second is that the code was probably "branched" and the things like chesting were added to the WC branch and not merged back in to the main FIFA Gameplay branch for technical or time reasons.

There may have been some resource allocated to supporting the WC game but they would of been working off the main trunk of code and then adding to their branch.

Well if it was one team then they must have had resources allocated to support the WC game at the expense of FIFA 11, which Rutter assured us did not happen because that would imply splitting their efforts between two products while charging double the price, or in other words, putting less the usual efforts into FIFA 11 while charging the same price. This was a worry raised by the community frequently last year. Rutter liked to claim he had absolutely no clue what was in the WC game as proof that there was no cross-over between the two teams.

Splitting resources between the two games seems to make the most sense to me when you consider FIFA 11 as evidence of sub-par efforts though, and it's almost illogical to think no cross-over between develop would occur. And whenever people, time, or other resources worked on the WC game when they'd otherwise be working on FIFA 11, there would be consequences.

Back
Top Bottom