FIFA 11 Demo Impressions XBOX360/PS3

I have a concern: I think everyone is aware of the complaints about the game being a bit too physical and aggressive, resulting in clumsy, violent, messy etc. matches. I understand this game requires an adjustment in how we play the game, but I do agree FIFA is still unbalanced in favor of the physical side of the game at the expense of skill, while defending I feel is far too easy and I consider the CPU to get away with bloody murder at times.

Anyways, my concern is that if matches are like this playing with the elite teams in the demo, what will matches be like with Championship clubs or 2 star teams?

I know some people don't agree that there's a problem but I think it's fair to argue that enough people are having issues with the physicality of the game that there's likely at least some truth to the issue.

Thoughts?

I think dribbling in FIFA is not so bad once you adjust to it. I kinda think the speed difference is more of a problem. It's not easy to get away from defenders with Messi or Ronaldo on world class or higher, even though you should be able to considering the speed difference.

A little bit is too physical i think but being not strong player a trying take a ball from Obi Mikel or other strong player is waste of time this year . In Fifa 10 there wasnt much difference which player you trying to take a ball.
Trying to pick up the ball by A or X is less efective this year and often we have foul i think.
Also i like that game is slower than 10 even on ,,slow'' speed and snalog sprint is little fixture but make big difference - it should be turn on in online as default..why EA ? :(

Last edited:
I have a concern: I think everyone is aware of the complaints about the game being a bit too physical and aggressive, resulting in clumsy, violent, messy etc. matches. I understand this game requires an adjustment in how we play the game, but I do agree FIFA is still unbalanced in favor of the physical side of the game at the expense of skill, while defending I feel is far too easy and I consider the CPU to get away with bloody murder at times.

Anyways, my concern is that if matches are like this playing with the elite teams in the demo, what will matches be like with Championship clubs or 2 star teams?

I think matches in the lower leagues will be the same. It's the same AI model being used and as player stats mean next to nothing in this game (and mean absolutely nothing for cpu controlled teams), the gameplay of the cpu will play the exactly the same, whether it's Division 1 or Division 4. Just like always.

Anyone decent at headers???

Would appreciate any tips.

I am heading most of mine into the floor, this is when I have a clear unchallenged opportunity! Instead of a placed or powerfull header into a corner, it hits the floor and bounces over the bar!

Appreciate any help.

I feel heading's quite a bit easier than last year. I just aim in the general direction of the goal and use maximum power on my headers, using Chamakh I think I've scored more than I missed.

Ive been finding headers difficult. I have turned all assistance off in regards to player switching and all controls are set to manual. Its certainly better though because if you dont line your player up right or jump to early the ball can go anywhere. Seen it when I jumped to early the skimmed off the top of the players head and went out for a throw :) ..looked very nice

We had some 2 player games on the demo last night and then went on to WC and the difference in how responsive the players are is unreal

In the demo you feel in control and you know if you press a direction it will go that way unlike Fifa 10 and WC which i thought improved on that but obviously didn't

I had a glitch or bug tonight on the demo, i was playing the game and the camera got stuck on a replay but the game was still being played and i could here the players names being caleed. When i when to the menu screen and tried to restart the game it was the same thing untill the 90mins was up. It is an improvement on Fifa 10. I like the new animations i just hope it doesn't boring.

have to say the user controlled celebrations that just sucked ass in earlier fifa's now is really well implented. the whole interaction with your team mate works and looks rather natural.

actually prefer this to pes' celebration system. nice one.

I had a glitch or bug tonight on the demo, i was playing the game and the camera got stuck on a replay but the game was still being played and i could here the players names being caleed. When i when to the menu screen and tried to restart the game it was the same thing untill the 90mins was up.

the same shit happened to me too. i just quit the game and restarted. messed up. i'm also experiencing 2 second gameplay freeze here and there.
PS3 slim too.

After playing 4 days the demo I think that it`s a great game, focused on gameplay and better than FIFA 10. It`s more real, more physic and more "footbal". Only ONE NEGATIVE point:

- The BARCELONA FACES are to low. Pedro, sergio are not updated. Please FIX THAT!

Without starting a PES - FIFA war I went back to PES to give the demo another go and it just left me feeling bored. Im really not sure what people see in this game anymore. Used to be amazing back in the day but considerably lacking now.

Loving FIFA on full manual just keeps growing on me

Without starting a PES - FIFA war I went back to PES to give the demo another go and it just left me feeling bored. Im really not sure what people see in this game anymore. Used to be amazing back in the day but considerably lacking now.

Loving FIFA on full manual just keeps growing on me
I feel the same. I've been quite addicted to the FIFA demo and I'm looking forward to release day.

I think a lot of the FIFA complaints are rooted in unfulfilled expectations of a higher level of simulation. In the end, neither title is an accurate football simulation. Of course both are at the simulation end of the genre (they are not Super Mario Soccer, after all), but neither does an especially accurate job of replicating the look, feel, pacing and strategy of real football. PES has glaring flaws in this regard, just like FIFA does, just different ones. Each does certain things better that their counterpart does worse.

On the other hand, I believe that FIFA is a better video game than PES. I don't mean that in an arcadey, mindless-fun way (otherwise we'd all go back to SWOS), I mean in how it feels to play, the controls, the challenge on offer... the package as a whole.

Indeed. I think too many folk are expecting the game to be an exact interpretation of the real deal. Sadly that level of expectation will take many, many years to become a reality, as far as video games are concerned. There are just too many factors to take on board. There are already arguments about pace and who is quicker than who on the football field. Now, fair enough, that's a valid quarrel, and it should be addressed within the game as it seems like a relatively simple thing to deal with, but do remember this is just a game. It will never replace going out of the house and kicking a ball around. Well, it will for some folk, I guess. An escape from realism and all that. As it stands, I'm really enjoying F11 - moreso that I've now learned to lengthen the half lengths. We've certainly came a long way since Super Soccer and Striker on the SNES. We're getting there - slowly, but surely. Eventually, we'll have a game everyone will enjoy and we'll be looking back at Fifa 11 and realising it was the catalyst. Or one of them, at least. Now, if only Konami and EA could join forces for that ultimate game of football...

Making the game NOT being a tekken-fest in midfield and trying to reproduce ebven shlightly the different skill abilities of players wouldn't take that much to develop with the tools they have.

It would be simply committing to a more realistic way of representing the game. And EA are failing in that department, making the whole "package", as you say, not that attractive. I will be playing the same game year after year, without relevant gameplay changes? You will, I probably won't.

Making the game NOT being a tekken-fest in midfield and trying to reproduce ebven shlightly the different skill abilities of players wouldn't take that much to develop with the tools they have.

It would be simply committing to a more realistic way of representing the game. And EA are failing in that department, making the whole "package", as you say, not that attractive. I will be playing the same game year after year, without relevant gameplay changes? You will, I probably won't.

Haha. Quite. I did enjoy the Tekken fest reference. Maybe if EA could somehow include special moves for the players to combat this. Bollocks to the elastico and 360 roulette, let us deliver some crushing uppercuts or spinning bird kicks. etc.

Know what you mean, mate. I think the fundamentals of the game should be easy to incorporate. It seems they are favouring other aspects of the footballing world and neglecting to include core elements - the pace of players being one of those, and of course time on the ball. This would all be depending on the teams and leagues, of course. For example, you do seem to get more time on the ball in the Premiership than you would in the English League 2. It will be interesting to see if this is included in the final game, or whether the pressure and battle for the ball is fast paced throughout each league within the game. I'm presuming it will be, mind.

A couple of things I hope will be fixed in final version...

....too many rabonas, especially on crosses,for example, Malouda running down the left wing, should just cross with his stronger left foot, but does a rabona and crosses with right foot :S!

Also, when the referee plays the advantage, I feel the time that it can be pulled back for the foul is too long.

I feel the same. I've been quite addicted to the FIFA demo and I'm looking forward to release day.

I think a lot of the FIFA complaints are rooted in unfulfilled expectations of a higher level of simulation. In the end, neither title is an accurate football simulation. Of course both are at the simulation end of the genre (they are not Super Mario Soccer, after all), but neither does an especially accurate job of replicating the look, feel, pacing and strategy of real football. PES has glaring flaws in this regard, just like FIFA does, just different ones. Each does certain things better that their counterpart does worse.

On the other hand, I believe that FIFA is a better video game than PES. I don't mean that in an arcadey, mindless-fun way (otherwise we'd all go back to SWOS), I mean in how it feels to play, the controls, the challenge on offer... the package as a whole.

Indeed. I think too many folk are expecting the game to be an exact interpretation of the real deal. Sadly that level of expectation will take many, many years to become a reality, as far as video games are concerned. There are just too many factors to take on board. There are already arguments about pace and who is quicker than who on the football field. Now, fair enough, that's a valid quarrel, and it should be addressed within the game as it seems like a relatively simple thing to deal with, but do remember this is just a game. It will never replace going out of the house and kicking a ball around. Well, it will for some folk, I guess. An escape from realism and all that. As it stands, I'm really enjoying F11 - moreso that I've now learned to lengthen the half lengths. We've certainly came a long way since Super Soccer and Striker on the SNES. We're getting there - slowly, but surely. Eventually, we'll have a game everyone will enjoy and we'll be looking back at Fifa 11 and realising it was the catalyst. Or one of them, at least. Now, if only Konami and EA could join forces for that ultimate game of football...

I do really respect these opinion's and i also almost agree with the whole thing about FIFA is a better video game than PES! You can see this game as a package. You can see FIFA has created it's own gameplay entity and while i don't think it requires much thinking or strategy its all about quick reactions! For gamers, and people who want a fun game it's hit the spot! This wasn't the case a few years back but it certainly is now!

What i like is how you complement the game for what it does well and how it fits into what you want, rather than what the morons on the EA forums who talk shit about it being a perfect simulation!

As for me I've unfortunately reached the point of no return with this demo, i can play it without any trouble, i know how to win, it just dosen't suit what I'm looking for! The AI cheating on legendary makes the game challenging when playing vs Leverkusen but I'm someone who wants to feel like he's been beaten fairly rather than the videogame just making it so everything (ref, physics, strength balance, reactions) is against you.

I think I'll get this on xbox on the cheap and play it every now and again when i come back from Uni. Add me up as a manual player aswell :))

Even though i don't like it! This game is clearly not shit :BYE:

Last edited:
The cheating AI could well be a resolved issue come the final release, though, mate. I guess we won't know until October 1st.

Played some more matches with the ProPassing bar turned on. Seemed to have far more zip again, playing on Pro vs WC the 1st time. Will test it out again at the higher level to see where I got the impression that is was so slow. Not sure if it's an artificial action based on difficulty or that it's the teams. I'm sure I played with Barca and felt it was far too slow. Oh well, something to test out later.

While I agree with you that FIFA 11 will probably be the better video game than PES 2011, I do believe PES does a very good job, and is still ahead of FIFA, in "replicating the look, feel, pacing, and strategy of real football." Of course our opinions are just that, opinions, but PES really impresses me in all the little footballing aspects, from first touch to pacing to individuality to passing to strategy, and I think it's extremely realistic. However...

My theory is that for those of us now used to FIFA, moving back to PES is really difficult for some, including myself, because we've become accustomed to some of FIFA's next-gen features, like manual controls, total freedom of action and movement, and it's hard to look beyond some of PES "clunkiness" even when the game does so many of the football fundamentals so well. For me personally, even though I'm in awe of some of the gameplay I've pulled off in PES, at times it reminds me too much of assisted controls on FIFA and sort of ruins the experience for me. Sometimes it feels too automated for my tastes. That's inexcusable, imo, considering where we're at with next gen gaming.

On the other hand, I think many of the PES loyalists haven't, or aren't willing to, give the new FIFA a fair enough go - yeah it lags behind in many ways but the more I play the demo the more I believe FIFA has made improvements in many of the important "footballing" areas. The gains in realism are there, it's just not enough for a lot of people.

I think I'll end up getting FIFA on release day and give the CM a chance. If it turns out to be poor / bugridden there is a good chance I'll get PES with an optionfile and do the ML on that. FIFA is just ahead at the moment, I think next year PES can really take the crown back, it's still too unresponsive and clunky for me with this release, but continued improvements will win me back next year if both titles stay on their current development.

I do really respect these opinion,s and i also almost agree with the whole thing about FIFA is a better video game than PES! You can see this game as a package. You can see FIFA has created it's own gameplay entity and while i don't think it requires much thinking or strategy its all about quick reactions! For gamers, and people who want a fun game it's hit the spot! This wasn't the case a few years back but it certainly is now!

What i like is how you complement the game for what it does well and how it fits into what you want, rather than what the morons on the EA forums who talk shit about it being a perfect simulation!

As for me I've unfortunately reached the point of no return with this demo, i can play it without any trouble, i know how to win, it just dosen't suit what I'm looking for! The AI cheating on legendary makes the game challenging when playing vs Leverkusen but I'm someone who wants to feel like he's been beaten fairly rather than the videogame just making it so everything (ref, physics, strength balance, reactions) is against you.

I think I'll get this on xbox on the cheap and play it every now and again when i come back from Uni. Add me up as a manual player aswell :))

Even though i don't like it! This game is clearly not shit :BYE:

Heya, I gotta say mate, i think in all your posts towards fifa, they have been overly critical. Don't get me wrong mate, I know your not a troll or a pes fan boy, but it just seems to me you have double standards concerning Fifa. I'll get to that in a minute but I just want to address your first issue about the AI cheating...I've seen your video and you have complained about this being a foul, and this isn't a foul...I mean you get that in real football don't you? It's not a game breaker. Let me tell you, I've played both demos and I find PES easier. I'm like you, I like a challenge, and one of my points on the wish list was to make Legendary harder.

Regarding your feelings on PES and having double standards, let me explain. I've seen you post in here a number of times concerning realism of the game. I gotta admit PES is only more realistic than Fifa in two ways...Movement of players and Player indviduality. The other attributes, in my opinion Fifa wins. The problems I have with PES demo and you might of noticed it as well are:

-The goalkeepers parrying out everything infront of them only for a follow up strike. Really bugs me only because I score easily from this too.

-Through balls. Have you noticed an easy exploit in breaking the defence of your opponent? Over the top through ball. It works nearly 90% of the time. And have you also noticed when you play a through ball, the opposition defence will back off slightly allowing you time and freedom to get it? Maybe just me.

-The amount of bicycle kicks. My goodness. You know exactly what I mean.

-The shooting. It is dreadful on pro. Fifa feel on shooting is vastly superior to that of pro.

Like I said mate, I'm not attacking you or having a go. I just think your not being fair on new fifa followed by your critical acclaim of Pro. I hope you understand what i'm saying and I have explained myself properly.

Really want to see player reactions to loose balls improved - just took a shot with arshavin that was blocked by the keeper and dropped only a few steps in front of chamakh who only stood there looking at the damn thing. By the time i gained control of him it was to late whereas if he'd automatically reacted to it i would've gotten to it in time. IRL it was a certain tap in for a goal.

I think the delayed reaction is sloppy/lazy programming on EA's part to cut down on rebound goals from odd angles. In 10 if you shot from the right/left side of the box it was a guaranteed deflection, and with the AI zooming to loose balls as they're still in the air it turned into a lot of tap in goals.

I think the delayed reaction is sloppy/lazy programming on EA's part to cut down on rebound goals from odd angles. In 10 if you shot from the right/left side of the box it was a guaranteed deflection, and with the AI zooming to loose balls as they're still in the air it turned into a lot of tap in goals.

You might be right but while in past FIFAs (especially 08 if I remember correctly) I scored all sorts of cheap goals, EA seem to have done a pretty good job eliminating these instances. So I'm not so sure what you're saying would still be as much a problem - my example certainly wouldn't have felt like a cheap goal but rather a typical follow up shot following a great block, something you see quite often IRL. I'm thinking a more realistic explanation is they just haven't gotten the AI to an intelligent enough level yet. In any case, hope it's a priority for 12.

Back
Top Bottom