FIFA 09 Discussion Thread (Old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: FIFA 09

ONe thing i don't get: EA have been developing footie games for over a decade and they can't get the body model right, is it so hard??? I hope it looks better this time around.

They cannot make the whole package at once ,it's marketing,they always leave a few flaws in order to improve them the following year

ONe thing i don't get: EA have been developing footie games for over a decade and they can't get the body model right, is it so hard??? I hope it looks better this time around.

Heard its women doing the modeling. Probably that's why?

What like this Nick? :LOL:

36363435qa7.jpg

That FIFA 08 ape is pushing it a bit but seriously the player models in Fifa do look like that ape in the middle of the ones you've tagged

The PES timeline shows that gameplay is still taking time to evolve away from the robotic, non-manual control schemes of previous PES', but at least by PES2010 we will see impressive new graphics for spectators, we'll also see new licensed kits with player names on the front ;)

pesgameplaysh4.jpg

The PES timeline shows that gameplay is still taking time to evolve away from the robotic, non-manual control schemes of previous PES', but at least by PES2010 we will see impressive new graphics for spectators, we'll also see new licensed kits with player names on the front ;)

pesgameplaysh4.jpg

These were som funny pictures I must say! I do hope they(fifa09 & Pes09)will be released more at the same time this year so we can compare them at the same time. I will get fifa09 and rent pes09, thats for sure:))

Ps: Placebo, are you swedish or do you just live there, if you dont mind me asking?

i just had a thought about something that would be good for the next fifa a youth academy and a training facility for manager mode and some kind of be a pro scouting. I have always liked the idea of the youth academy for ps2 as a means of getting extra players on the cheap but they should have it so that you view the players progress and take the players who show the most promise. you could make them do drills target practice etc to see if they fit what you are looking for. The same thing for the training facility you could use it as a way to strengthen player in certain aspects that suit your playing style for example I play a swift counter attacking style so i would like my side backs/wing backs to be pretty damn fast so what do i do give them speed training and and endurace exercises cos obviously if my counter attack fails they need to run back to defend you get my drift. The training facilities could also work for transfers you could invite a future prospect to your training and test out their abilities etc. I just think it is something that open up the management mode a bit and make it interesting. the be a pro scouting mode (still in management mode) sees you as a scout sitting in the stands watching a match , you could go to a match with list of requirements and a particular player over a series of games and see if he meets the requirements of your club then start transfer proceedings. let me know what you think of these ideas Oh and i think defenders should have freestle controls like stone walling a spritely winger with a good old fashion block or just hacking away at the ball when someones trying to embarass you with the skills. that idea probably sucks but let me know if you think the other ones are good or if there's a better way to do it.

Last edited:

hanakuka some good ideas in there but as long as EA has a separate manager title, I wouldn't expect too much more on the management side. If they sorted the errors in their league structure and improved on the things they already have I would be happy.

I'd like to see players putting in for transfers or complain if they are not getting played, trading players too as this is becoming bigger in real life and one of my real hang ups proper injuries both in game and training. As for new features actually getting in I doubt there will be many...

something i think would help with a realistic feel is if they hide player stats because thats whats scoutings for. HE/SHE tells you good the players as im sure real managers don't have huge database of every player in the world. just give me cross compatibilty wit fifa manager and add those things you mentioned nick.

something i think would help with a realistic feel is if they hide player stats because thats whats scoutings for. HE/SHE tells you good the players as im sure real managers don't have huge database of every player in the world. just give me cross compatibilty wit fifa manager and add those things you mentioned nick.

Apparently they use Football Manager ;))

That's a good point on the hidden stats though they do give you a range on the stats rather than exact when scouting.

that would actually be funny imagining alex ferguson looking for new signings via football manager, carlos queiroz isn't real either he's just a cyber assistant.:w00t:

Last edited:

hanakuka some good ideas in there but as long as EA has a separate manager title, I wouldn't expect too much more on the management side. If they sorted the errors in their league structure and improved on the things they already have I would be happy.

I'd like to see players putting in for transfers or complain if they are not getting played, trading players too as this is becoming bigger in real life and one of my real hang ups proper injuries both in game and training. As for new features actually getting in I doubt there will be many...

And players not playing well because they don't bode well with teammates. OR even add a stat called "competition" which would affect how competitive different players are. Imagine 3-4 players competing for the same role, you would know who'll be on top of the list. Then his individual stats and teamwork kicks in.

For now, I recon Placebo is some big drug lord or on the FBI relocation programme for grassing Mr big, he's never in one place too long...

LOL it might seem like that ;)

England - Czech Republic - Singapore - Sweden, makes life pretty interesting, but we're both tired of moving around and plan to settle in Canada within about 18 months, with that being the final move :)

And players not playing well because they don't bode well with teammates. OR even add a stat called "competition" which would affect how competitive different players are. Imagine 3-4 players competing for the same role, you would know who'll be on top of the list. Then his individual stats and teamwork kicks in.

I suggested to EA a professionalism trait which partly dictates how likely a player is to argue with officials or opponents, but also when combined with aggression and tackling traits defines the kind of tackler he is.........

Players should have aggression attribute which really does mean aggression (not pass speed) they should also have a professionalism attribute, players that for example have high aggression and low professionalism will tend to argue more with referees, argue more with their fellow players and such, they will also tend to make more rash challenges and the like, although if they have a high tackling stat it will counterarct somewhat so whilst they will still make wild lunging tackles they will more often than not win the ball (Roy Keane fits well into this mould).

Robbie Savage would IMO have high aggression, medium professionalism and medium tackling stats, so he will argue a bit, tackle very strongly and aggressively but a fair amount of the time win the ball, however he will quite a few times a season make rash tackles that earn a fair amount of yellow cards with a couple of reds here and there.

A professionalism stat can also be used to calculate how much the players tend to go to ground, how much they tend to dive in the box and such, I realise there's a trait for that but IMO the traits do not have nearly as much impact as they should, plus having attributes decide these elements will make the experiences in manager mode especially much more dynamic, we will have situations evolving very similar to Christinao Ronaldo, when he first arrived on the scene he was pretty unprofessional, dived constantly, moaned constantly, last couple of seasons as he's matured he's dived far less and become a massively productive member of the Man Utd team, if we only do it through traits Ronaldo would be "prone to dive" at 17 through to 37, not realistic. Players evolve as they become older, as their physical attributes change, Michael Owen now is a far better finisher than he was at 18 because he has been forced to alter his game because of the injuries he had, it's not appropriate for him to have the traits now he had at 18 for example.

I suggested to EA a professionalism trait which partly dictates how likely a player is to argue with officials or opponents, but also when combined with aggression and tackling traits defines the kind of tackler he is.........

Players should have aggression attribute which really does mean aggression (not pass speed) they should also have a professionalism attribute, players that for example have high aggression and low professionalism will tend to argue more with referees, argue more with their fellow players and such, they will also tend to make more rash challenges and the like, although if they have a high tackling stat it will counterarct somewhat so whilst they will still make wild lunging tackles they will more often than not win the ball (Roy Keane fits well into this mould).

Robbie Savage would IMO have high aggression, medium professionalism and medium tackling stats, so he will argue a bit, tackle very strongly and aggressively but a fair amount of the time win the ball, however he will quite a few times a season make rash tackles that earn a fair amount of yellow cards with a couple of reds here and there.

A professionalism stat can also be used to calculate how much the players tend to go to ground, how much they tend to dive in the box and such, I realise there's a trait for that but IMO the traits do not have nearly as much impact as they should, plus having attributes decide these elements will make the experiences in manager mode especially much more dynamic, we will have situations evolving very similar to Christinao Ronaldo, when he first arrived on the scene he was pretty unprofessional, dived constantly, moaned constantly, last couple of seasons as he's matured he's dived far less and become a massively productive member of the Man Utd team, if we only do it through traits Ronaldo would be "prone to dive" at 17 through to 37, not realistic. Players evolve as they become older, as their physical attributes change, Michael Owen now is a far better finisher than he was at 18 because he has been forced to alter his game because of the injuries he had, it's not appropriate for him to have the traits now he had at 18 for example.

Great post imo. Exactly what i was thinking and you put it in a much better way :TU:
I think that would sort of start a 'revolution' in AI. Be more human-like.

That's all well and good. But before they implement any of that do you think they can fix that unbelievable annoying feature where your player runs through treacle towards a ball about 2 yards away from him only for an opposition player to make up about 15 yards and run past him to take the ball. Probably the most obvious and infuriating example of scripting ever to grace a sports title.

That's all well and good. But before they implement any of that do you think they can fix that unbelievable annoying feature where your player runs through treacle towards a ball about 2 yards away from him only for an opposition player to make up about 15 yards and run past him to take the ball. Probably the most obvious and infuriating example of scripting ever to grace a sports title.

I think the scripting will be addressed to some degree for sure, though I would not get my hopes too high astirling. If they made it less face smackingly obvious it would help. I'd have to say it's the worst I've seen in some instances.

Yeah....I would guess that the engine is making a comparison of the players stats to see who is going to come out on top for the ball. It then plays out an animation to make calculated outcome happen. It looks absurd and is joypad smashingly infuriating when it results in a goal.

Slide tackling also requires tweaking as it is woefully imprecise. Previous versions of PES had this right. Time it right and you win the ball. Mistime it and it was a foul. It felt sharp, accurate and fair. Slide tackling in Fifa feels like a lottery as the animation the player has to go through often means that the tackle ends up taking the man when it seemed odds on that the ball was going to be won cleanly.

For me....the most important thing is to get the core engine right. And there is certainly work to do in this area. The various annoyances actually annoyed me so much that I picked up PES2008 on e-bay last week (I'd been an avid PES fan until switching to FIFA last year). Unfortunately PES2008 is an absolute abomination of a game and it became quickly apparent that I'd wasted my money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom