eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Exactly this.

Everything is so stiff and rigid on Superstar in the Master League. ALL of my players feel terrible 90% of the time. I get why Konami do this. "You want to play on a high difficulty? Then here you go, you asked for it!"

It's not balanced or realistic. Top Player is great until your TS rises and then you'll demolish most teams with ease. As soon as you put it up to Superstar, well, you know what happens.

The game is so damn robotic still. I'm sorry to use these words again but football players simply aren't that rigid and stiff in real life.

I can't see how PES will ever move away from this model either. It's just how they view the beautiful game at the end of the day. Want it slow? You've got it. But they make everything slow - my players feel like they're always running in quick sand. Then you've got really quick wingers like Lucas Moura and it feels like I'm breaking into a jog rather than actually sprinting past the CPU defender.

Oh and Konami - you don't have to show every little replay of pointless crap - maybe they want to highlight that there IS actually fouls, just very few of them? We don't need to see it. Everything is so repetitive, slooooow and tedious.

All of it is still so...meh. When I read that people are into their 4th ML season already, I'm so envious. Is there something with this game, this series that I'm simply not 'getting'?

The old PES games were fun. First and foremost, they were fun. It's lost that magic for me. It's lost the unpredictability. It's trying way too hard to be the serious, thinking man's football game. But then it contradicts itself by having such arcadey, simplistic shooting.
i disagree shooting for me is not simpisitic and arcady.I think it is amazing on manual.Im Last not great at pes so i htink its best futbol game ive ever played(gameplay wise) since i play on professional

I suppose some sort of Adaptive AI is there.
AI sees and reacts to your style. You play constantly down the left wing and you will see them tight marking certain player. If they are winning - they go defensive, if they are losing - they go offensive. Switching swarm the box tactics and the sort. So we cant really say Adaptive AI is not there.

But yeah, scripting is sometimes blatant and very obvious. Like at some point every tackle you make is ineffective, or even if you tackle - your player still cant 'find' the ball and AI just jumps back on it. They hit the post, you have 27 lads in the penalty box yet the ball will always land at the feet of the one AI player that was also there.
Things like this happen in real life, obviously, but in pes its a bit too... obvious. :LOL:
All you can do is have a sip of whisky and carry on. Its annoying but sure, what can we do. At least its not nearly as bad as 19 was..

"Adaptive AI" sounds just another marketing term to AI.

I’ve bought pes 2017 for 7.50 and i’m totally in love with the offline gameplay, lots better then ai of 2018 and 2019. Is 2020 better then 2017. Of course it looks better but I need a good ai and master league :).

I’ve bought pes 2017 for 7.50 and i’m totally in love with the offline gameplay, lots better then ai of 2018 and 2019. Is 2020 better then 2017. Of course it looks better but I need a good ai and master league :).
I was playing 17 before 20 demo came out.
I absolutely loved 17 and hammered few seasons in few weeks (20mins matches)

So far I havent looked back and havent played 17 since 20 came out.
Its still needs polish, its in early stages.
Needs more fouls, bit of AI polish, player awareness, stuff like that.
But its a damn good game even now.
If you just got 17 and love it - id say play it for another few weeks. You'll likely get 20 cheaper and patched then.

flippant? i think its great you got a game without any issues, i wish everyone had been so lucky
The perfect game will never come.

Neg knows that from what ive read from him but instead of those nuances in the game making his life a misery and try to make everyone else depressed he is focussing on just having fun with the game as way more to like than hate.

I have said before we have the best football game since PES 6 we need to enjoy it while it lasts because the next 10 years could be another 10 without a good football game. No point pointing out every little detail if we done that with PES 1-6 we'd of turned the internet against the series back at PES 1

Last edited:
Agree, but, this is a discussion board. If we all just said "it'll never be perfect so I won't critique it" what would be the point in us being here, other than to just repeat "yeah it's good"? It'd be a pretty pointless site. (Well, let's face it, it sort of is anyway - we're not exactly ending world hunger or solving global warming...)

I have said before we have the best football game since PES 6 we need to enjoy it while it lasts because the next 10 years could be another 10 without a good football game.
This is why I've started putting a PC together. It's very good, no doubt - and if I can mod some issues away, why the hell wouldn't I, given that I spend hours a day on this site and hours a week playing football games. I'm facing the fact that I'm ridiculously dedicated and now this game is here, I'm going to make the most of it.

But I agree, and disagree. I have no doubt it's the best PES in years - and the developers seem to realise this too.

(Which reminds me, has everyone seen that message when booting the game now? "The developers want to say thank you for all your positive comments", or something like that? How brilliant is that to see? Without wanting to sound like a dick, I have to admit, my first thought was "it'll be a long time before that can happen with FIFA".)

My main frustration is how some things just never change - which doubles when those things are advertised as changing. I think (but I can't remember 100%) I read that shot variety was supposed to be improved thanks to the ball physics. If it has changed, it's nowhere enough.

Creating chances feels pretty good - like most of the game - but then the shot at the end of it feels, to me, identical to the last (unless you're using superstars with special "cards" that increase their range of potential shot types - and that's such a crap way of doing it, there are plenty of goals in the lowest leagues of any country that are absolute worldies, every week).

However (and possibly stupidly), I have really high hopes for the end-of-October patch. It won't fix the above but it will only improve the game tactically and in terms of realism, from the sounds of it - so what's not to love. Fingers crossed...

Neg knows that from what ive read from him but instead of those nuances in the game making his life a misery and try to make everyone else depressed he is focussing on just having fun with the game as way more to like that hate.

I have said before we have the best football game since PES 6 we need to enjoy it while it lasts because the next 10 years could be another 10 without a good football game. No point pointing out every little detail if we done that with PES 1-6 we'd of turned the internet against the series.
Excatly this! To say that Pes is shit isn't true..we can't go into details and nitpick every little thing. Look at the other game ,tons of problems..far worse than PES ever had, look at NBA 2k, a game with so much content and good gameplay,maybe the best sports game, and still gets so much criticism even on the gameplay aspect from some people. I've went to reddit etc, read about the game cause I was interested and seeing all kind of comments..just want to say that sometimes you feel like PES is the only game that have problems from looking here, no game will be perfect, luckily I'm not one if those seeing huge flaws and I concentrate on the game, having fun.

Haha not for me. Most goals I score in last 15-20 minutes. Maybe in majority a Score mostly 2 goals per game but I've had a couple of games scoring 4 goals and even won 7-0 vs Servette in EL some days ago. Everton game 3-4 win for me..I generally feel it's much better now..not struggling as I did before. I even have more fouls now, I've had 5 games with 4+ fouls in my session I played a couple of days ago..8 vs Man city.

Exactly my experience. My scores all vary. 1-0,3-1,2-2 etc there's no specific score line. I've won games 7-0 that I posted on here. I even showed how I beat lazio 8-1 on aggregate.

I don't see this score rubber banding.

Agree, but, this is a discussion board. If we all just said "it'll never be perfect so I won't critique it" what would be the point in us being here, other than to just repeat "yeah it's good"? It'd be a pretty pointless site. (Well, let's face it, it sort of is anyway - we're not exactly ending world hunger or solving global warming...)

This is why I've started putting a PC together. It's very good, no doubt - and if I can mod some issues away, why the hell wouldn't I, given that I spend hours a day on this site and hours a week playing football games. I'm facing the fact that I'm ridiculously dedicated and now this game is here, I'm going to make the most of it.

But I agree, and disagree. I have no doubt it's the best PES in years - and the developers seem to realise this too.

(Which reminds me, has everyone seen that message when booting the game now? "The developers want to say thank you for all your positive comments", or something like that? How brilliant is that to see? Without wanting to sound like a dick, I have to admit, my first thought was "it'll be a long time before that can happen with FIFA".)

My main frustration is how some things just never change - which doubles when those things are advertised as changing. I think (but I can't remember 100%) I read that shot variety was supposed to be improved thanks to the ball physics. If it has changed, it's nowhere enough.

Creating chances feels pretty good - like most of the game - but then the shot at the end of it feels, to me, identical to the last (unless you're using superstars with special "cards" that increase their range of potential shot types - and that's such a crap way of doing it, there are plenty of goals in the lowest leagues of any country that are absolute worldies, every week).

However (and possibly stupidly), I have really high hopes for the end-of-October patch. It won't fix the above but it will only improve the game tactically and in terms of realism, from the sounds of it - so what's not to love. Fingers crossed...

Yeah i get ya first point but there is no point in saying Neg has the perfect game that no one else has. He gets it tight on here from a few posters due to him being rather positive (How did he get his name?) rather than pointing out its flaws. Saying that im a bit of a hypocrite as i was always pointing out PES flaws for years on WENB before i gave up on the series and realised i was completely wasting my time both being vocal about it and with how least i enjoyed PES since 6. (Maybe we all need to become little Greta's and instead of trying to change PES for the better we change the world to rid it from plastic? First stop that awful plastic PES case! Whats Adam's email?)

I have a feeling October will totally break it or it will be great and we can say hello to the 1.0 boys and welcome them to 1.4.

Yeah i get ya first point but there is no point in saying Neg has the perfect game that no one else has. He gets it tight on here from a few posters due to him being rather positive (How did he get his name?) rather than pointing out its flaws. Saying that im a bit of a hypocrite as i was always pointing out PES flaws for years on WENB before i gave up on the series and realised i was completely wasting my time both being vocal about it and with how least i enjoyed PES since 6. (Maybe we all need to become little Greta's and instead of trying to change PES for the better we change the world to rid it from plastic? First stop that awful plastic PES case! Whats Adam's email?)

I have a feeling October will totally break it or it will be great and we can say hello to the 1.0 boys and welcome them to 1.4.
he got stick because hes rude, nasty rude or obnoxious rude, its still rude

positivity is a great thing but you have to be careful not to cross the line into simply defending something because you personally love it and cant see flaws or you can see them and want to cover over them

i agree 1.4 is huge. i was so close to ordering pes yesterday but now i think i will still wait for 1.4

positivity is a great thing but you have to be careful not to cross the line into simply defending something because you personally love it and cant see flaws or you can see them and want to cover over them

You have a very vivid imagination...

he got stick because hes rude, nasty rude or obnoxious rude, its still rude

i agree 1.4 is huge. i was so close to ordering pes yesterday but now i think i will still wait for 1.4

I have not noticed him being rude tbh although not been visiting as much since launch. Neg stop being rude, nasty rude and obnoxious rude!

Again i get that but at the opposite side it seems people are just chasing their tails.

You dont have it yet? Jump in 1.03 is very good. Better than the demo i reckon if you enjoyed the demo.

Let's move on from the personal stuff now guys, I'll just delete it from this point forward. No more warnings.

I have not noticed him being rude tbh although not been visiting as much since launch. Neg stop being rude, nasty rude and obnoxious rude!

Again i get that but at the opposite side it seems people are just chasing their tails.

You dont have it yet? Jump in 1.03 is very good. Better than the demo i reckon if you enjoyed the demo.
yeah me and my cousin record results of all our games all season long. so on pes 19 we are currently even!!!!! so we need one last best of 7 or 9 session to end pes 19 before we move on to pes 20

a champion will be crowned this weekend!

yeah me and my cousin record results of all our games all season long. so on pes 19 we are currently even!!!!! so we need one last best of 7 or 9 session to end pes 19 before we move on to pes 20

That's nice.
Just curious? How do you score a draw.
Me and my cousin always play "first to win 4 games". If it's scoreless draw(no one gets a win) but if it's a draw with score, we get both 1 win. We have to do this or else, it's possible that we're able to play 20 games but there's no series winner yet. Also, it makes the game more tactical. Depending on the series score, one can play for a draw and the other one needs to win. It adds more excitement.hehe
If the series is tied at 3-3, first to win a match wins.

During summer with emulators i tried playing Iss Pro Evolution 2 master first and then Pes 5 master at highest difficulty level. Let me tell you, they were both as you would call it "boring". Very few scoring opportunities, CPU defending like crazy, closing every offensive play you made, plenty of 0-0 or 1-0 exactly like in Pes 2020. You had to be really smart and quick to find spaces and score a goal and when you scored that was the gratification you were waiting for. Against low rated teams it was actually more difficult to score compared to top player teams, again, like in Pes 2020.

I suggest you to try and replay the old Pes and feel if you still find them fun or if it's your childhood memories giving those games a rose tinted aura of fun.

No, I don't want to play the old PES games anymore. Gaming has evolved and PES was amazing back in the day but I wouldn't want to play them now. My point was/is that PES 2020 is rigid and stiff. Which it is.

In 2005, if someone had showed me PES 2020 and said "Here, this is what PES will play, look and sound like in 2019" I'd have laughed quite a lot. By now Konami should have made huge improvements both on and off the pitch.

That's nice.
Just curious? How do you score a draw.
Me and my cousin always play "first to win 4 games". If it's scoreless draw(no one gets a win) but if it's a draw with score, we get both 1 win. We have to do this or else, it's possible that we're able to play 20 games but there's no series winner yet. Also, it makes the game more tactical. Depending on the series score, one can play for a draw and the other one needs to win. It adds more excitement.hehe
If the series is tied at 3-3, first to win a match wins.
interesting

we do a simple counting wins, so a draw is just that a draw

on pes 18 we recorded them on an app wikth GD etc but the app crashed and we lost it all so now we stick to whatsapp and a simple

"you won by 4 games today, i am still 2 games up"

and the next time if its

"i won by 2, i am now 4 up etc"

interesting

we do a simple counting wins, so a draw is just that a draw

on pes 18 we recorded them on an app wikth GD etc but the app crashed and we lost it all so now we stick to whatsapp and a simple

"you won by 4 games today, i am still 2 games up"

and the next time if its

"i won by 2, i am now 4 up etc"
Got it. It's a season battle.
My eyes lights up when I read best of 7, so I didn't pay attention to the first couple of sentences of your post.:)
We can't do seasons. We need a winner of the day so that one can sleep well, and the other one suffers hehe

Last edited:

Brilliant, Thats the stuff we all used to do back in the day on ISS & PES or even Sensi before it. Your cousin sitting beside you or online? If beside you i cannot tell you guys how much your gonnae love 20 with friends on the same console it really is a 10/10 game.

Brilliant, Thats the stuff we all used to do back in the day on ISS & PES or even Sensi before it. Your cousin sitting beside you or online? If beside you i cannot tell you guys how much your gonnae love 20 with friends on the same console it really is a 10/10 game.
beside me

yes season long

so sometimes you can lose a sesh 5-3 but still be happy as it could have bene worse or you stumbled upon a great tactic near the end lol

but we argue alot too. "you were talking and distracted me", "all you have is set piece goals","all you have is throughballs", lol lots of soreness!

hmm wish i had ordered it for tommrow now lol

Still enjoying playing ML, now into the end of season 3, but still frustrated AF at the shambles of a collision detection/fouls/referee logic model, it really is an absolute clusterf*ck of moronic proportions.
And the Oct patch wont fix anything - we know it wont, its just Konami's attempt at placebo injection and hoping it will all fall under the carpet.

And the commentary .............

Check this example....

*Turn sound on*

Incredible!!!

On a side note:

If anyone else wants any animations, logos, motion graphics designing for adding to their videos, I'm doing them at 5 quid a pop, cheaper than anywhere online.

Intros / Logos / Stingers / Social Media Boosters etc

Examples:

Back
Top Bottom