eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PC)

2nd is the right stick finesse dribbling. Maybe i'm doing it wrong but i don't find it very intuitive and not very responsive. I often welcome revamping controls in games especially if they make sense but this is one of those examples that ui believe wasn't broke and they shouldn't have fixed.

You should read my post on this, I think it's the end of page 79 where I offer a little experiment of playing on Training mode. You'll really see the problems with this unfold and once your eyes are open to how this works they won't close.

2nd is the right stick finesse dribbling. Maybe i'm doing it wrong but i don't find it very intuitive and not very responsive. I often welcome revamping controls in games especially if they make sense but this is one of those examples that ui believe wasn't broke and they shouldn't have fixed.

Ahhh... that is the STUPIESD feature since PES 2009-10, left stick tricks. I hate it so much. How I said before, whole momentum and intuitive are gone on the Trash. The game is not sure what you want to do with the right stick, to switch players, to make tricks or fines. It's a complete mess and it's useless anyway. I don't care what somebody will say "you need a time to get it " it was a senseless and unjustified change. They need to bring back R2.

Last edited:
I don't care what somebody will say "you need a time to get it " it was a senseless and unjustified change. They need to bring back R2.
@MafiaMurderBag you guys are absolutely right; the new finesse dribble is nothing more than a control remap dubbed as a 'feature'.

I returned 2020 ages ago and went back to 2019, but I'm fortunate that I still get to play the new title at my brothers, which has really helped me to directly compare the two.

Honestly, I'd love to see someone point out ONE genuine improvement the new finesse dribble introduces. Just ONE. Because there isn't one. In fact, it's actually worse because it's less predictable. On 2019 when you hold R2 your player will ALWAYS face the goal - when you press it, you know whats going to happen. On 2020, if you press away from the goal sometimes the player drags the ball backwards, sometimes he turns around, then if you hold it for long enough the controls change to act exactly as 2019 did. It's so painfully inconsistent.

For all its issues (and there were plenty!) 2019's control scheme, however, was on point. You don't realise how well it was done until you go back to it.

@MafiaMurderBag you guys are absolutely right; the new finesse dribble is nothing more than a control remap dubbed as a 'feature'.

I returned 2020 ages ago and went back to 2019, but I'm fortunate that I still get to play the new title at my brothers, which has really helped me to directly compare the two.

Honestly, I'd love to see someone point out ONE genuine improvement the new finesse dribble introduces. Just ONE. Because there isn't one. In fact, it's actually worse because it's less predictable. On 2019 when you hold R2 your player will ALWAYS face the goal - when you press it, you know whats going to happen. On 2020, if you press away from the goal sometimes the player drags the ball backwards, sometimes he turns around, then if you hold it for long enough the controls change to act exactly as 2019 did. It's so painfully inconsistent.

For all its issues (and there were plenty!) 2019's control scheme, however, was on point. You don't realise how well it was done until you go back to it.

sorry to interrupt the convo - have you done anything to 2019 to make it a better experience e.g using klashman tactics, using a dt gameplay mod?

i went back to 2019 on ps4 exh mode but didn't enjoy it and returned to 20 exh mode.

Completely agree, the R-stick and changes to the trick system actually serves to undermine overall control and fluidity.
R2 in the previous series (2019 and everything before it) was perfect as was the implementation of tricks. Now, its a dog's dinner. Having R1 (the run button!) to also double up as stop and face goal? I mean who the fuck thought of that? It just doesn't make sense if anything it makes NONSENSE!!! and the consistency of doing tricks with the R-stick is so poor it's sickening.

As someone already mentioned what this control overhaul actually means is that relatively simple things like step overs are actually really unintuitive and overcomplicated, then when you change direction or try things from a diagonal direction the chances are some other trick will happen :'( it just takes away from the overall sense of control/fluidity and that's really what good football is about - it's a foundational thing. We're going backwards not forwards, someone shoot Iniesta ffs.

Last edited:

I have nothing against " remapping " , but only if it's necessary and its for good, in eF2020 it is neither, so they do it in the stupidest way and mechanic possible. They build up this "close control " with R2 for so many YEARS, finally, they got right and super cancel, the ball skipping or just over finally found the best buttons combination that actually makes sense and useful, finally last 2 games we were close to feeling that you control and play with professional Football players and now just for a few months everything crash down and went to the trash. They Frick up R2, Frick Up R1, they Frick up-close control, they Frick up super cancel and fake shot, they frick up AI ...Now, 90% of the time, players on the field react and act like complete cretins, idiots who are brain dead.
Awful gameplay mechanics and remapping that annoy me more than bring me fun. eF2020 is 100% in my list of the top 4 worst PES games and experiences that I have. Too bad that is the future of PES series, I don't think they will bring back R2 and good stuff that we lost over the years.

Last edited:
I fear that they won't revert back to R2 close control because it would be like admitting to their failure this year...

Even with perfect responsiveness, I just don't see how this control scheme of using both LS and RS for movement can make any sense. So many potential uses of the close control are killed by the fact you have to use your right thumb on the stick.

You can't shoot, pass, or use fakes/feints smoothly while using close control. You need to move your thumb off the stick to the face buttons... Just trying to use a shot fake in the middle of a 'finesse dribble' is like some gymnastics game with the controller.

Move with RS, press square, choose direction with LS, press X, release LS direction, thumb back to RS to move again.
Same move last year was just hold R2 while doing a shot fake as usual...

14.26 is a example of how pathetic some of the default Konami tactics are.

Also while the mentality switching by the AI is better, United stay too long in defensive mentality even when losing!

Ι have an idea.
We could prepare a post, as evoweb community, reporting the basic things than need to be fixed by KONAMI to the developer Fb page.
But this post should be clear, analytic, not abstract requests like "please fix animations" or "please fix AI script".
We can also include video proofs/justification, and things that is indeed fixable.
A very official post, posted by evoweb, that represents the whole community.
This year the core of PES is very good, and Konami gives us the opportunity to have a direct contact with developers, so you could grasp this and make the game even better. PES 2021 probably will be next gen, so there is a risk of being very raw and broken (like PES 2014). So lets make PES 2020 a milestone in PES history.

So if the mods here agree, lets make a post here, to gather all things, and maybe vote for the 5 major things that need improvement. I must stress again that these things should be specific and fixable.

Even with perfect responsiveness, I just don't see how this control scheme of using both LS and RS for movement can make any sense. So many potential uses of the close control are killed by the fact you have to use your right thumb on the stick.

You can't shoot, pass, or use fakes/feints smoothly while using close control. You need to move your thumb off the stick to the face buttons... Just trying to use a shot fake in the middle of a 'finesse dribble' is like some gymnastics game with the controller.

Move with RS, press square, choose direction with LS, press X, release LS direction, thumb back to RS to move again.
Same move last year was just hold R2 while doing a shot fake as usual...
This right here is is exactly what the problem is.

When you break down what makes a good control scheme, in any game, there are a few rules that they all follow. Some are very simple, such as, anyone remember when X & Square used to be accelerate and break in racing games? You had to keep flipping your thumb from one to the other while you had 4 other fingers doing nothing. Then some genius came up with the idea of either using the shoulder buttons, or the right analog stick. This way your fingers never, ever need to move off the button they're on - good control design.

By contrast, ever play Dark Souls? In the original, L3 was sprint, but double-tapping L3 was jump. Talk about trying to make attempting a running jump as difficult as possible! :LOL: - bad control design.

PES 2020 has so many examples of poor control design choices:
Having R1 as sprint, then tap R1 to face the goal, but you have to double-tap it to stop dead is a RIDICULOUS decision. Double-tapping R1 is also a faster sprint. They've just crammed too many like-minded controls onto the same button, which creates loads of potential room for user error. It's not the worst, and it's certainly not unplayable, but it's by no means intuitive. Compare this to Fifa where R2 is sprint, tap R2 to stop dead, L1 is stop and face the goal, and the right stick is a faster sprint. This is a FAR better method because you're never, ever going to do the wrong thing becuase they're all mapped to a completely different button. PES 2020 at times feels more like I'm attempting a 10 hit combo on Tekken.

When more than one command is the same button they should work with each other, and this was something PES 2019 actually did really well!:
Left stick to move, R2 to finesse dribble, use it to sidestep past the defender, then you can do a placed shot into the top corner, all without ever having to let go of R2 - this is good control design! Not only can they be used together, but who's ever going to mistake finesse dribble for a placed shot? No one, because they're two totally different things. You could then add skills into the mix because the right stick is dedicated to them. It all makes sense; parallel controls are kept independent of each other, but ones that are the same button such as finesse dribble / placed shot can be used together.

Again, there are games with far worse controls than PES 2020, it's hardly the end of the world, but it's so frustrating because they were already good, it was something that didn't need wholesale changes. Yet Konami decided to completely fuck them up just to introduce some pathetic 'feature' that's nothing but a worse version of something they already had!

Last edited:
Ι have an idea.
We could prepare a post, as evoweb community, reporting the basic things than need to be fixed by KONAMI to the developer Fb page.
But this post should be clear, analytic, not abstract requests like "please fix animations" or "please fix AI script".
We can also include video proofs/justification, and things that is indeed fixable.
A very official post, posted by evoweb, that represents the whole community.
This year the core of PES is very good, and Konami gives us the opportunity to have a direct contact with developers, so you could grasp this and make the game even better. PES 2021 probably will be next gen, so there is a risk of being very raw and broken (like PES 2014). So lets make PES 2020 a milestone in PES history.

So if the mods here agree, lets make a post here, to gather all things, and maybe vote for the 5 major things that need improvement. I must stress again that these things should be specific and fixable.

I agree with a separate thread to discuss this, but while is still not open i will post here:

Some PES 2020 problems:

Penalty system:

Finesse manual shot:

My editing skills and english are bad and i didn't make a video about AI defense (really bothers me)

online is the worst that iv played, putting this to rest until the late october patch, with big doubts if they can fix/improve anything at all, offline the scripting is off the roof so its pointless as well

This right here is is exactly what the problem is.

When you break down what makes a good control scheme, in any game, there are a few rules that they all follow. Some are very simple, such as, anyone remember when X & Square used to be accelerate and break in racing games? You had to keep flipping your thumb from one to the other while you had 4 other fingers doing nothing. Then some genius came up with the idea of either using the shoulder buttons, or the right analog stick. This way your fingers never, ever need to move off the button they're on - good control design.

By contrast, ever play Dark Souls? In the original, L3 was sprint, but double-tapping L3 was jump. Talk about trying to make attempting a running jump as difficult as possible! :LOL: - bad control design.

PES 2020 has so many examples of poor control design choices:
Having R1 as sprint, then tap R1 to face the goal, but you have to double-tap it to stop dead is a RIDICULOUS decision. Double-tapping R1 is also a faster sprint. They've just crammed too many like-minded controls onto the same button, which creates loads of potential room for user error. It's not the worst, and it's certainly not unplayable, but it's by no means intuitive. Compare this to Fifa where R2 is sprint, tap R2 to stop dead, L1 is stop and face the goal, and the right stick is a faster sprint. This is a FAR better method because you're never, ever going to do the wrong thing becuase they're all mapped to a completely different button. PES 2020 at times feels more like I'm attempting a 10 hit combo on Tekken.

When more than one command is the same button they should work with each other, and this was something PES 2019 actually did really well!:
Left stick to move, R2 to finesse dribble, use it to sidestep past the defender, then you can do a placed shot into the top corner, all without ever having to let go of R2 - this is good control design! Not only can they be used together, but who's ever going to mistake finesse dribble for a placed shot? No one, because they're two totally different things. You could then add skills into the mix because the right stick is dedicated to them. It all makes sense; parallel controls are kept independent of each other, but ones that are the same button such as finesse dribble / placed shot can be used together.

Again, there are games with far worse controls than PES 2020, it's hardly the end of the world, but it's so frustrating because they were already good, it was something that didn't need wholesale changes. Yet Konami decided to completely fuck them up just to introduce some pathetic 'feature' that's nothing but a worse version of something they already had!
See, I don’t have a problem with that. I can decide what I wanna do. I just choose what to “push” in what situation. And it works!
Anyway, you are right here. And im with that!! It all needs polish!!
Same time, I’m having fun with the game! Making the most fun out of it.

See, I don’t have a problem with that. I can decide what I wanna do. I just choose what to “push” in what situation. And it works!
Anyway, you are right here. And im with that!! It all needs polish!!
Same time, I’m having fun with the game! Making the most fun out of it.

Do you need to polish? You will polish one big MISTAKE, to become a small mistake? Why? They just need to admit that as mistake, to forget all this and to bring back R2 and R1 like was before and was working perfectly for so many years, not just to change shits for seeking of changes.

PES 2-2019, when you hold R1=RUN, without any direction, your player stops the ball immediately, with a foot in a direction that your player faces it, no mether the opponent position and was great and useful. In the same games if you hold R2 = close control, without any direction, your player stops the ball and turning to face opponent prayers, that was useful in some situation and yeah give more depth to gameplay mechanics in general, like was with R1.
NOW in eF2020 all that is one big mess up, now you now can't stop the ball and players to ANY direction that you want, that is GONE. Maybe there are some secret button combinations but... hole that R1, R2, Right Stick fiasco was one big mistake.
OF COURSE, you can squeeze fun of this like you can have fun with anything, expertly offline with friends.

Last edited:
Do you need to polish? You will polish one big MISTAKE, to become a small mistake? Why? They just need to admit that as mistake, to forget all this and to bring back R2 and R1 like was before and was working perfectly for so many years, not just to change shits for seeking of changes.

PES 2-2019, when you hold R1=RUN, without any direction, your player stops the ball immediately, with a foot in a direction that your player faces it, no mether the opponent position and was great and useful. In the same games if you hold R2 = close control, without any direction, your player stops the ball and turning to face opponent prayers, that was useful in some situation and yeah give more depth to gameplay mechanics in general, like was with R1.
NOW in eF2020 all that is one big mess up, now you now can't stop the ball and players to ANY direction that you want, that is GONE. Maybe there are some secret button combinations but... hole that R1, R2, Right Stick fiasco was one big mistake.
OF COURSE, you can squeeze fun of this like you can have fun with anything, expertly offline with friends.

Because everything is a matter of taste, i really enjoy R3 stick usage.
I use it for close dribbling, because R2+L stick was way much difficult for me (with dual shock 4 controller, the R2 has long distance to travel to be completely pressed). Now using some flicks with R3 i do very nice dribbles, not FIFA's jugling circuit stuff, but realistic soccer-ish.

could all be better, yeah!!

Adding to your topic: you CAN stand still in any direction. Just double press R1 and hold. Player stays on the ball in the direction he was moving.
Just pressing R1 once and hold is standing on the ball facing opponent goal.

Again, it’s not perfect, yes, I’m with you. I don’t think they will change it back. I’ll take it anytime but don’t think they will revert.
Have a nice weekend pal!!

Last edited:
I use it for close dribbling, because R2+L stick was way much difficult for me (with dual shock 4 controller, the R2 has long distance to travel to be completely pressed). Now using some flicks with R3 i do very nice dribbles, not FIFA's jugling circuit stuff, but realistic soccer-ish.
R3 stick? You mean R-stick?

I understand why people would like the change If they didn’t use R2 before, but I just don’t see how it’s worth it when it affects other things so negatively.

Having a method of movement dedicated to its own analog stick just doesn’t make any sense; it would be like moving sprint from R1 to the right stick, and no one would like that!

Left stick to move
Hold R1 to go faster
Hold R2 to go slower.

You can’t get any simpler and more intuitive than that.

you CAN stand still in any direction. Just double press R1 and hold. Player stays on the ball in the direction he was moving.
I have a little question for you mate (and no telling any little white lies! :LOL:): Surely at some point you've accidentally done the wrong thing? You tapped it twice, but he still turned and faced the goal?

This would have never, ever happened before because the two commands were different buttons.

I'm all for change, and like I said a few posts ago this isn't THE worst controls ever, but changes should be made with the intention of optimising. These are changes for nothing more than change's sake.

Last edited:
Why do people even use slower dribblings? It's completely pointless in terms of efficiency. You never see anyone using it in the PES League World Finals.

Why do people even use slower dribblings? It's completely pointless in terms of efficiency. You never see anyone using it in the PES League World Finals.
I used to use R2 on 2019 because you could set yourself up to do skills, like this:
ezgif-3-bc84199268c3.gif

Now I can't do that using any skills except the double touch in this example, because skills are a mess of both RS & R2 and many have been made pointlessly awkward to do.

whats a good PC config to have this game running on an 4K UHD TV? Price range under $1000
Just search YouTube for "PC's under $1000".
People have jobs dedicated to that stuff.

If you can find one that can handle any modern game, then it'll handle PES.

Back
Top Bottom