eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The shooting mechanics and ridiculous variation based upon real-life technique replication has always been a strong feature of PES. But this version is light years ahead. Amazing.

In days gone by, early PES, full powered strikes, on the stronger foot, with the ball put of your feet and body angles correct flew into the top bag.

Jeez, I hit one that was skyed so high in the Allianz Arena, it flew past Row Z and probably ended up landing somewhere in Dortmund's stadium.

I 100% stand with those that say there is a responsiveness issues.

The game is simply far too slow to respond to your commands at times, and there is no logical reason why first touch is so sloppy and drawn out at times.

If we want our feedback to be useful we can't just say:"players take several seconds to respond to input" because that is simply not true. Not even Pes 2014 release version before the patches had this much lag when moving players.

Of course they could do better to improve responsiveness while keeping animations smooth, no game has ever been perfect and Pes is far from it, there are always improvements to be made, but the balance this demo has is the best i've seen in a football game. I can only pray they won't ruin it hearing so many people saying there are responsiveness issues when in the end they only happen sometimes and it's nothing that detracts from the fun. Now, seeing the game being downgraded to Pes 2019, that would really frustrate me a lot.

If we want our feedback to be useful we can't just say:"players take several seconds to respond to input" because that is simply not true. Not even Pes 2014 release version before the patches had this much lag when moving players.

Of course they could do better to improve responsiveness while keeping animations smooth, no game has ever been perfect and Pes is far from it, there are always improvements to be made, but the balance this demo has is the best i've seen in a football game. I can only pray they won't ruin it hearing so many people saying there are responsiveness issues when in the end they only happen sometimes and it's nothing that detracts from the fun. Now, seeing the game being downgraded to Pes 2019, that would really frustrate me a lot.

It's the first touch. I don't see how anyone can argue that it's not poor. It takes an age for even the very best players to bring the ball under control and turn, dribble or pass, by which time the opponent has stolen the ball.

It's the first touch. I don't see how anyone can argue that it's not poor. It takes an age for even the very best players to bring the ball under control and turn, dribble or pass, by which time the opponent has stolen the ball.

I must be as always be playing the wrong game, there are so many different ways to get the best out of the more deft players with regards the first touch and Ive barely scratched the surface.

f PES is going to make any kind of dent into FIFA's dominance, it'll have to...
I stongly believe, based on the majority of opinions of the PES2020 demo and Fifa20 beta, a dent (time will tell on how huge of a dent it is) had been made to Fifa's dominance this year. Whether you like it or not (i personally do), you have to commend Konami on listening and putting in a great effort this year, and finally being able to pull something off that has been appreciated by us gamers.

I'm really happy with defending in Pes20 this year. Just played an online match and my opponent (Juve) would constantly pressure me. When he does get the ball, all he does is trying to do 1-2s and first touch pass, the entire game and when Ronaldo gets the ball, he'll try to do flicks and tricks.

Unfortunately for him, I don't rush my defenders. He had a hard time trying to get past my defence. If it wasn't for my stupidity, i would have won the match. Match ended 1-1.

I think the gameplay has changed. There was an update. The AI is still a bit passive but the game feels sharper.

I'm going to be honest and say i love this game now.

Maybe it was getting Bonnuci sent of using Aubameyang. Something about working the space from the defender after a nice pass and forcing him into making a lunge and he just got ot wrong, came in from behind and boom, red card!

First time in years I've got the AI down to 10 men on superstar.

I think its more to do with me really understanding the game now. Tactically Juventus are the strongest team. Its the high rated center backs with the 'Swarm the box'

I cant wait to see what i can do with Maldini and Nesta

I think the gameplay has changed. There was an update. The AI is still a bit passive but the game feels sharper.

I'm going to be honest and say i love this game now.

Maybe it was getting Bonnuci sent of using Aubameyang. Something about working the space from the defender after a nice pass and forcing him into making a lunge and he just got ot wrong, came in from behind and boom, red card!

First time in years I've got the AI down to 10 men on superstar.

I think its more to do with me really understanding the game now. Tactically Juventus are the strongest team. Its the high rated center backs with the 'Swarm the box'

I cant wait to see what i can do with Maldini and Nesta
funny you say that. just last night when playing on top player i had the same thought...
i put that thought away and kept on playing!
i dont have time nor effort to give placebo any room! ...i said to myself! :D

Which platform?

Seems like they are using the PES referee for the super cup tonight :P

Seeing Matip tossing Pulisic around like a little kid reminded me of PES 2020.

The shooting mechanics and ridiculous variation based upon real-life technique replication has always been a strong feature of PES. But this version is light years ahead. Amazing.

In days gone by, early PES, full powered strikes, on the stronger foot, with the ball put of your feet and body angles correct flew into the top bag.

Jeez, I hit one that was skyed so high in the Allianz Arena, it flew past Row Z and probably ended up landing somewhere in Dortmund's stadium.

I kinda disagree, old PES shooting mechanics have still more variation. While both 2020 and the old games keep the consistency and the logic which shots can hit the target and which not (not RNG like in FIFA) in 2020 still far too many shots on target or close to target and too many shots are super powered, while the goalies are super humans. Its balanced but i would settle with more shot error and less good GKs.

:NONO:
:D
Thats kinda like in the last 15-20 mins only of a game once fatigue sets in. Hell im always confident in tight situations to pass Thiago the ball and he can turn 2 players while the others position themself to have a chance.

Just a quick heads up guys, I've just noticed that PES 2020 is available for pre order on Simply Games for £37.85 now as oppose to £44.85 last week. PS4 & Xbox. That's a decent price & they usually ship early.
Only possible issue with early shipping this year is that the game launches on a Tuesday rather than Thursday from previous years. I can't imagine many will be shipping the game out Friday to arrive on Monday (hopefully they do though...)

Example of unresponsive shooting, not a perfect example but i've experienced many such similar situations in the demo (and for like the past 5 years now in pes games..). could have been a nice goal too:

2 nice goals i scored (full manual controls, online 1v1):

I don't understand this at all I'm afraid, they feel good to me. (I don't play online, if that's a relevant factor?)

Example of unresponsive shooting, not a perfect example but i've experienced many such similar situations in the demo (and for like the past 5 years now in pes games..). could have been a nice goal too:

What is unresponsive about that? As you can see the game takes the shot input but the combination of ball speed, ball trajectory compared to the receiving player body position, receiving player being at top speed, keeper rushing out, defender pressing, doesn't let the player attempt to shoot. It's something that is designed to be this way. You gave the input, the game recognizes it, but the player has not enough space and time to attempt it so it's not executed.

I guess unless it's a crazy guy most of real life players in that situation wouldn't have attempted to shoot either even if the brain told them to try, to not injury the goalkeeper. Once again, the brain in Pes case is the input we give the player.

Also, it's online. Online has that added network lag that makes players less responsive. Probably offline it would have attempted to shoot, who knows.

One thing i noticed in that clip though: keeper completely misses the ball trying to catch it. When Pes keepers were bad they sucked the ball in their hands in many cases in situations like this, it was like there was a force field around the keeper.

What the!? How is that unresponsive mate? I don't see a problem with that. The ball hasn't even reach the foot of the player. I can see you already pressed the shoot button, but the ball needs to reach to you first. Too bad the gk got to it first. Yup, would have been a nice goal

Seriously now, how can that be unresponsive when the ball hasn’t even reached the strikers feet yet?! :D The ball is still miles away from the player when you press shoot.

Plus, if anything, the striker is running away from the ball.

I swear I just don’t understand what people are complaining about sometimes.

Or he could use SC to get to the ball earlier.
But yes, imo this isn’t a big thing. If anything.
The striker is running away from the ball, so really the ‘fault’ lies in the pass.

Seriously now, how can that be unresponsive when the ball hasn’t even reached the strikers feet yet?! :D The ball is still miles away from the player when you press shoot.

The striker is running away from the ball, so really the ‘fault’ lies in the pass.

Well compared to FIFA and recent PES titles it can be called unresponsive until you master and fully understand the game mechanics. I totally understand him but in the same time its not unresponsive its game design choice.

I guess it would have been cool if the game activated the shot animation even if he wasn't close enough to the ball. That would have resulted in a hilariously missed ball, kicking the air, but in Pes the shooting animation only activates when the player is actually with the ball really close to his feet.

I guess it would have been cool if the game activated the shot animation even if he wasn't close enough to the ball. That would have resulted in a hilariously missed ball, kicking the air, but in Pes the shooting animation only activates when the player is actually with the ball really close to his feet.
God now you mentioned i saw already somewhere that Benny Hill animation. Fifa? Or recent PES games? It was very ugly while the ball was meters away the player is executing the slow shooting animation which he stucked in.

I love this years game based on what I’ve played so far.

There are some issues,that have been conveyed very well here, but this whole thing depends on where you sit in footy games. Hardcore, avid detail players will be disappointed because some things are not right, yet people like me who take it as a game with great moments, great graphics and nice ball physics will enjoy it regardless of the problems.

I don’t have time to invest in the hyper detail analysis or time to invest in playing it once it arrives, so for those I have some sympathy, because you deserve the game you pay for. For me, playing a one off league, some tournaments with my mates and Online divisions.....it’s simply better than 19.

I honestly think the gameplay is being dragged forward at a snails pace, but it is forward imo and next ten will see another step up.

Hope you enjoy it in your own way and keep the great feedback coming on our favourite forum.....

um.....is this the soundtrack besides whats in the demo?

DaVAKa6.jpg

I stongly believe, based on the majority of opinions of the PES2020 demo and Fifa20 beta, a dent (time will tell on how huge of a dent it is) had been made to Fifa's dominance this year. Whether you like it or not (i personally do), you have to commend Konami on listening and putting in a great effort this year, and finally being able to pull something off that has been appreciated by us gamers.
It will be an extremely small dent as PES has a very long road back to where it once was. Thankfully we are coming we are coming down that road.

PES has also not had a no.1 game in the charts for a few years now with F1 outselling it last year and then quickly disapearing out of the charts. This year i think it will get that no.1 spot and stay there for 2 or 3 weeks and then linger in the top 100 for a few months. The game is too glorious to not sell in the UK this time round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom