Creating A New Football Game

Should we make an arcady soccer game or a realistic one?

• Arcady Game (Much quicker and easier to make, higher probability of a released game)

• Realistic Game (Will take much longer and lower probability of being released)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Unfortunately, it seems like the developer who I spoke about previously is working on a motorcycle game right now and won't work on the soccer/football game until his motorcycle game is complete :(

If anyone else personally knows any great programmers we're in luck. Otherwise it seems like we've hit a dead end for now :(

Unfortunately, it seems like the developer who I spoke about previously is working on a motorcycle game right now and won't work on the soccer/football game until his motorcycle game is complete :(

If anyone else personally knows any great programmers we're in luck. Otherwise it seems like we've hit a dead end for now :(
I know a guy who knows people in big game studios. Bethesda, cdpr, ea and such. Absolutely nobody is gonna work on a football game without licenses. And indie developers are hard to find. Perhaps Big Ant Studios could give it a shot if they're somehow told about the demand numbers.

I have received a response from someone who I think has the ability to create a quality realistic football/soccer on-field game in Unreal Engine in a way where we would also be able to add game modes like player career mode, manager career mode, draft, P v P, 11 v 11, etc. later on. He says that he may be interested in the project and is looking for additional details. I have provided him with this forum and he will likely post a message on here in the next few days asking for your desires, expectations, etc. for the project.

He has already implemented things like dribbling, passing, crossing, penalties, etc., but will improve these further if he takes on the Evo Web project: https://youtube.com/channel/UC_nctivel7j_zbGTecaVg6Q

Please let me know if you have any questions :)
Personally, I would really have the ability to score from half way line.
Something like this:

I think one should focus on a few things and then slowly with the increase add.

This is a project that should take a good few years and a very large investment.

The focus should be on several steps :

First of all the basic system.

Basic animations
Reasonable graphics
Without investment in the aspect of licenses.

Then exit as early access
And from here to grow.

Except for YouTube, the forum, Twitter, Reddit. All the places where true PES lovers are.
We need the kickstarter.
Before you tell me that kickstarter is not a good place, I personally play in 2 games that started in kickstarter and today are on steam and are on a huge rise.

It can happen just need cooperation and finding the right people.

I've even thought about trying to learn to programme over the last few days, as I know if I had that knoeledge the game would already be in development! So it's interesting what you say, I'll look into Blueprints and see what it's all about, but I have no prior experience with programming, I just know exactly what I want it to do! 😂
You can get cheap lessons on the Unreal Engine and it's apparently much easier to program than the past.

Is it bad to use UE5? I know it's still on BETA but Control Rig and dynamic IK will make it really easy to develop procedural animations which will cut down the requirements for animations.

I don't think personally that licenses are required at all, FIFA were clever in the way they lost the Champions League to PES, but called it instead The Champions Cup, created a new theme that was similar, same colour palette for the competition etc. Everyone knew it was the Champions League although it wasn't called that. So it would be possible to take this approach with the whole game, everyone would know the teams and competitions even though they aren't using the licensed titles. Ideally then, like PES, there would be an edit mode if people wanted to change competition/team/player names.

In terms of finding someone to work on a game without licenses, I think it's more the case that if there's a monthly pay check in it for them they'll work on it! Especially considering what I've mentioned above.

With the crowd funding I'm sure it works through Kickstarter well for some, my experience is with Patreon, which is a monthly guaranteed income from Patrons, like a monthly salary. So things can continue to move forward every day/month/year without any problems or needing to start another campaign or rally for more donations as money raised has stalled.

I've had a look on Unreal Engine 4 and programming, as an absolute amateur to me it looks like the things you can program in will cover all the aspects I'd want to put it. Granted, it will take a long time, but if I end up with a game that is actually like playing a real game of football, it doesn't matter how long it takes, it'll always be relevant to the market place. I'd also happily just play that one game for the rest of my life!

If y'all are serious about this, someone should setup a board onHacknPlan (https://hacknplan.com/) or Trello (https://www.trello.com) to start hashing out details and things to be worked. Also, a Github or Gitlab repo to start putting code somewhere, discuss specific features via RFCs, eventually pull requests, etc..

I wish y'all the best, but know it won't be easy and will require a lot of time and effort.

What about creating a game without graphics, and use PES' graphics when you start a match ?

This could be like Football Manager, and when you start a match in your career, the game is linked to PES, like Sider is linked to PES, and you use exihibition match.

Somebody talked about that in the forum, I don't remember where.

What about creating a game without graphics, and use PES' graphics when you start a match ?

This could be like Football Manager, and when you start a match in your career, the game is linked to PES, like Sider is linked to PES, and you use exihibition match.

Somebody talked about that in the forum, I don't remember where.

I actually had an idea similar to that but I feel like that would be a cause of legal action. Creating a fully fledge career mode with the client of PES is not worth the risk of getting a hefty lawsuit. Also we will be limited on what the PES offers in terms of the gameplay too.

I played it a lot at the arcades, but already it wasn't Virtua Striker anymore... They tried to copy Winning Eleven, but being the game too much "Winning Eleven-like" I ended up playing PES instead.
The one I prefer (and I really wish I had bought them when I found it used for 5€ at a GameStop, on holiday some 10 years ago) is VS3.
But I still play VS2 98 when I need some over-the-top, blatantly arcade gameplay. Boy it was a Hell of a game.
But i still want VS4 and all those konami games on Arcade Mode.

I actually had an idea similar to that but I feel like that would be a cause of legal action. Creating a fully fledge career mode with the client of PES is not worth the risk of getting a hefty lawsuit. Also we will be limited on what the PES offers in terms of the gameplay too.
But is Sider legal ? I think most of mods here are illegal, due to licenses.

I have received a response from someone who I think has the ability to create a quality realistic football/soccer on-field game in Unreal Engine in a way where we would also be able to add game modes like player career mode, manager career mode, draft, P v P, 11 v 11, etc. later on. He says that he may be interested in the project and is looking for additional details. I have provided him with this forum and he will likely post a message on here in the next few days asking for your desires, expectations, etc. for the project.

He has already implemented things like dribbling, passing, crossing, penalties, etc., but will improve these further if he takes on the Evo Web project: https://youtube.com/channel/UC_nctivel7j_zbGTecaVg6Q

Please let me know if you have any questions :)
This is amazing! Just to update, this is his current channel where he uploads videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/strongbull22/videos

Someone needs to create a survey to gauge what the consensus want from this. At least that'll provide a little more direction.

Gameplay - Sim ○●○○○○○○○○ Arcade

Preferred match length - □5 mins ■10 mins □20 mins

etc

I voted realistic as I would ultimately want it to become a realistic sim, but I think it should start off as an almost novelty physics sandbox doing things very differently which would be fun to mess around in without really being a "game" as such, but with potential to grow into one as the project progresses. Might sound odd but I'll try to explain.

BeamNG.drive for a long time was basically just a sandbox for the soft-body car physics, allowing you to crash and wreck cars in weird and wonderful ways in a blank level with a few obstacles in it. No real objectives but still a lot of fun to launch the cars around and see the damage physics. Gradually it's grown into a genuinely very good driving game with many modes and features which even simracing enthusiasts are starting to take seriously. All built on top of an incredible physics engine which simulates every component of the car, aerodynamics, even air density/temperature, brake temperatures and loads more... The physics engine is so good that it allows helicopters and planes to be made which work in a realistic way when it wasn't even designed for them.

I would prefer something really wonky initially that is trying to do something truly new and ambitious with a great foundation to grow over something just copying the same old gameplay/physics football games have used forever.

Perhaps the most relevant example would be Goofball Goals - this truly is a wonky physics sandbox for comedy purposes, but I am serious when I say this is the kind of base I would love to see a football sim based on. Two of the major complaints with football games are that the ball is not a seperate entity/true physics object and theres no proper footplanting. As stupid as Goofball Goals looks, it does both of these. The players move because they are physically simulated rather than animated and push with their feet, and the ball is literally just a simple physics object the players interact with.

Goofball Goals looks ridiculous because the characters only have a few behaviours/actions, and they are not very robust. Imagine that kind of silly looking physics sandbox but with the characters given tons more behaviours for locomotion, ball interaction etc using something like DeepMotion Motion Brain.

I don't know whether this is open to indie devs, what the pricing would be or whether it's viable but the ceiling for how realistic a game on such foundations could become is incredibly high and could become more feasible as the technology progresses. Ubisoft have an even more impressive solution like this in-house, and maybe in a few years it'll become standard and accessible to indie devs (Unreal Engine 6 feature? :D)

The standard animated style of football game, I'm not really interested in any more. If I wanted to play one of those then I doubt an indie project could surpass FIFA 16, PES 2013, PES5 etc.

Yeah, that's much more what I was getting at - start with creating a single football player that is based purely around physics, animation and controls. The gfx can be stick men as far as I'm concerned. Then put 22 of these clones on a pitch with a ball and goal posts and have fun. The game of football can be built around that base. It does seem to me to be a perfectly reasonable starting point although arguably, now we've seen Konami's reveal video, they said they've taken things back to the base of creating and developing the 1-v-1 and building the game up around that. The beta demo wasn't exactly inspiring and the fact they're targeting mobile users means they haven't taken it anywhere near what could surely be achievable, and their actual game still seems to have a lot of the flaws that previous PESs had, so they obviously haven't rebuilt the football game engine or more specifically, the AI. I do think the AI is going to be a huge challenge, which is why I suggest to initially keep it simple and have no AI, just see if you can get a good game of football with only human controlled players.

Btw guys, a friend of mine is a visual FX artist, does stuff for production companies on various Netflix shows among others. He's only just begun to look at Unreal to see if he can learn some of the tools there (I think the VFX industry is beginning to use it, interesting in itself!). I mentioned the very tentative plans here and he said he would probably up for doing things like making player models, when the time comes for it. I will try to convince him to sign up and join in, but just thought I'd mention here. I don't know if that's getting ahead of things though.

Can we somehow think of how to beg 2k to get involved? We all know they will have an online mode and all like in NBA 2k, but they know how to make decent team/arena creation tools, in this case it would be edit mode/stadium creator/whatever else and it will likely be moddable, i feel like theyre our biggest chance and only real hope since its tough to find a new dev interested, or relying on fifa, so this as option 3 sounds best to me imo.

I think someone needs to start and manage a project. We definitely need a project manager to get started.
Ok but... what a project manager does?:CW:I don't have programming experience (just some very very basic Visual Basic 🤓), neither 3D modeling, and of course no experience in things like a game development:THINK:. However, I have lot of ideas for things outside-the-pitch (modes, editor and such) and I'm able to create UI mockups like a did in the past for Master League (some examples:
ml 03.jpgbal impress scouts.jpg
bal info.jpg
ml 06f.jpg
ml 11.jpg
ml newteam 6a.jpg
ml preseason friendlies 2.jpg
talk with players 1.jpg
team owner 4.jpg
).

If I were a project manager, the first steps would be:
1. Find one/two programmers to develop the very basics of the game
2. Find one graphic artist for creating very basic 2D and 3D elements (a simple pitch with lines and the gates) and then so on.
Is this right? Or I'm completely wrong?🤪

Back
Top Bottom