Creating A New Football Game

Should we make an arcady soccer game or a realistic one?

• Arcady Game (Much quicker and easier to make, higher probability of a released game)

• Realistic Game (Will take much longer and lower probability of being released)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I love the idea that has been proposed here, and if this could happen it would be fantastic.
Unfortunately I have no coding skill (barely some python and R) to offer any kind of help, but I would surely put some money to help the developement if it goes on simulation direction.

It surely won't be a walk in the park adventure but what about getting some inspiration from FULL ACE TENNIS SIMULATOR (https://evoweb.uk/threads/full-ace-tennis-simulator-pc-steam-best-tennis-game-of-all-time.87277/).
The strength of this game is that apparently it implementes the basics of the sport in a very sensible maner (ball physics, error system, ect), despite the graphics and the atmosphere doesn't look that great (but its ok).

I would love to see something with that type of vision for the sport I love. Of course a football game will be probaly harder to develop because of the number of players on the pitch.

Last edited:
What about "Football Evolution", or maybe "Evo Football"? Or "Winning Evolution"? How sounds "Pro Evo Football"? :))
The name's really irrelevant at this point, I don't think that people are realizing how much less likely the game is to be made and how much longer the game will take to be made since they chose realistic gameplay.

The name's really irrelevant at this point, I don't think that people are realizing how much less likely the game is to be made and how much longer the game will take to be made since they chose realistic gameplay.

Trust me, most of us are fully aware of it. It's just that it's pointless to imagine an alternative. There already are arcade football games in the market and we simply don't play it, they don't fill the void or itch the scratch or whatever. I could easily watch and contribute to a project of the right kind that goes on developing for years if it was solid, but I'd have no interest in another super soccer blast and similar.. I'd just stay with my retro stuff in that case (which is probably what will 99.9% happen anyway, at this point)

Hope it doesn't sound insensible, but since I talked about economical "support" before in the thread I'd rather be clear from the start.

Would making something similar to an arcady sensible soccer be good for this project? Or does it need to be more realistic?
I have voted in the pool for "Realistic Game" but I didn't consider that the game will need a lot of effort and time and white nights.
I think at the first release, a mini game as a beta or demo with maximum 8 to 10 playable teams in an exhibition match or a cup mode with different rules (away goal enable and disable - knock out format or league format)
And later on we can do more improvement as there is room for and we aren't in a hurry
I can see the potential of course. Lots of talented people and I'm happy and ready to contribute with kits or with any fancy fake names lol

I have received a response from someone who I think has the ability to create a quality realistic football/soccer on-field game in Unreal Engine in a way where we would also be able to add game modes like player career mode, manager career mode, draft, P v P, 11 v 11, etc. later on. He says that he may be interested in the project and is looking for additional details. I have provided him with this forum and he will likely post a message on here in the next few days asking for your desires, expectations, etc. for the project.

He has already implemented things like dribbling, passing, crossing, penalties, etc., but will improve these further if he takes on the Evo Web project: https://youtube.com/channel/UC_nctivel7j_zbGTecaVg6Q

Please let me know if you have any questions :)

Well, it is total shit not exactly what I had in mind :LOL: (ie. good physics and animations) but I bet even that took a big effort to achieve.
Yeah, the part I thought was similar was the human-only individual player control for online 11v11. Physics and animations are not great of course. It was a Half Life 2 mod originally and is still using the Source engine.

I have received a response from someone who I think has the ability to create a quality realistic football/soccer on-field game in Unreal Engine in a way where we would also be able to add game modes like player career mode, manager career mode, draft, P v P, 11 v 11, etc. later on. He says that he may be interested in the project and is looking for additional details. I have provided him with this forum and he will likely post a message on here in the next few days asking for your desires, expectations, etc. for the project.

He has already implemented things like dribbling, passing, crossing, penalties, etc., but will improve these further if he takes on the Evo Web project: https://youtube.com/channel/UC_nctivel7j_zbGTecaVg6Q

Awesome!:TU:
Personally, my desire would be a sort of "remastered/remade PES 5-6/WE9" with the features that Konami removed in the last 15 years (boot editor, kit-shorts swap, manager/agent talks, stadium editor and much, much, much, much, much more). But of course for now we have to fly low, just a good playable demo would be cool.🤩

Awesome!:TU:
Personally, my desire would be a sort of "remastered/remade PES 5-6/WE9" with the features that Konami removed in the last 15 years (boot editor, kit-shorts swap, manager/agent talks, stadium editor and much, much, much, much, much more). But of course for now we have to fly low, just a good playable demo would be cool.🤩
Yep my goal is for him to create a really fun fairly realistic playable game that plays well. And then we can upgrade the animations, models, game modes, edit mode etc. later on. Most of those tasks are very simple and I'll guide the community on how to do that in Unreal Engine if we get a solid playable on-field game from him.

I Wish i could play Virtua Striker 4 from Dolphin Emulator, but they still not interrested in to emulate it! 😩

I voted realistic as I would ultimately want it to become a realistic sim, but I think it should start off as an almost novelty physics sandbox doing things very differently which would be fun to mess around in without really being a "game" as such, but with potential to grow into one as the project progresses. Might sound odd but I'll try to explain.

BeamNG.drive for a long time was basically just a sandbox for the soft-body car physics, allowing you to crash and wreck cars in weird and wonderful ways in a blank level with a few obstacles in it. No real objectives but still a lot of fun to launch the cars around and see the damage physics. Gradually it's grown into a genuinely very good driving game with many modes and features which even simracing enthusiasts are starting to take seriously. All built on top of an incredible physics engine which simulates every component of the car, aerodynamics, even air density/temperature, brake temperatures and loads more... The physics engine is so good that it allows helicopters and planes to be made which work in a realistic way when it wasn't even designed for them.

I would prefer something really wonky initially that is trying to do something truly new and ambitious with a great foundation to grow over something just copying the same old gameplay/physics football games have used forever.

Perhaps the most relevant example would be Goofball Goals - this truly is a wonky physics sandbox for comedy purposes, but I am serious when I say this is the kind of base I would love to see a football sim based on. Two of the major complaints with football games are that the ball is not a seperate entity/true physics object and theres no proper footplanting. As stupid as Goofball Goals looks, it does both of these. The players move because they are physically simulated rather than animated and push with their feet, and the ball is literally just a simple physics object the players interact with.

Goofball Goals looks ridiculous because the characters only have a few behaviours/actions, and they are not very robust. Imagine that kind of silly looking physics sandbox but with the characters given tons more behaviours for locomotion, ball interaction etc using something like DeepMotion Motion Brain.

I don't know whether this is open to indie devs, what the pricing would be or whether it's viable but the ceiling for how realistic a game on such foundations could become is incredibly high and could become more feasible as the technology progresses. Ubisoft have an even more impressive solution like this in-house, and maybe in a few years it'll become standard and accessible to indie devs (Unreal Engine 6 feature? :D)

The standard animated style of football game, I'm not really interested in any more. If I wanted to play one of those then I doubt an indie project could surpass FIFA 16, PES 2013, PES5 etc.

Definitely interested in this project! If there's enough people to start on this, I can help with designing UI's and such things. (Kinda have experience with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Adobe XD, used to work as a freelancer - graphic designer).
I don't know much of an Unreal Engine (I just started learning it), so mostly what I can do is designing UI's, menus etc.

If interested, please let me know!

Hi guys, its all about bringing (the right) people together and begin networking. I posted a comment on TheTrueBrits latest Video () to make him aware but that is actually all i could do...
Also there needs to be a central platform where communication can take place. People need to get connected (pes patch, evoweb, pesgalaxy....)

I Wish i could play Virtua Striker 4 from Dolphin Emulator, but they still not interrested in to emulate it! 😩
I played it a lot at the arcades, but already it wasn't Virtua Striker anymore... They tried to copy Winning Eleven, but being the game too much "Winning Eleven-like" I ended up playing PES instead.
The one I prefer (and I really wish I had bought them when I found it used for 5€ at a GameStop, on holiday some 10 years ago) is VS3.
But I still play VS2 98 when I need some over-the-top, blatantly arcade gameplay. Boy it was a Hell of a game.

So my first non-joke post. I've no relevant technical experience, but I can offer to help with English-related stuff though, whether that's proofing for in-game messages or for Kickstarter appeals, etc. I do a lot of writing for a living and I'm something of a grammar enthusiast.

Anyone who is an animator, this is your time to shine :) :

The coder who I'm speaking to doesn't want money. He doesn't care about it. He wants good high-quality animations for the project. Here is his message:

"I would need the following animations!
this is the example and that's why I say it's complex
and in particular, see below for an example

walking with the ball
walking forward
turning to 45 degrees
turning to -45 degrees
turning to 90 degrees
turning to -90 degrees
turning to 135 degrees
turning to -135 degrees
turning to 180 degrees
turning to -180 degrees
stop the ball

Tlip with the ball in place
turn to 45 degrees
turn to -45 degrees
turn to 90 degrees
turn to -90 degrees
turn to 135 degrees
turn to -135 degrees
turn to 180 degrees
turn to -180 degrees

pass the ball stationary
pass forward
to 20 degrees
to -20 degrees
to 45 degrees
to -45 degrees
to 90 degrees
to -90 degrees
to 135 degrees
to -135 degrees
to 180 degrees
to -180 degrees

pass the ball walking
pass forward
to 20 degrees
to -20 degrees
to 45 degrees
to -45 degrees
to 90 degrees
to -90 degrees
to 135 degrees
to -135 degrees
to 180 degrees
to -180 degrees

running with the ball
turning to 20 degrees
turning to -20 degrees
turning to 45 degrees
turning to -45 degrees
turning to 90 degrees
turning to -90 degrees
turning to 135 degrees
turning to -135 degrees
turning to 180 degrees
turning to -180 degrees
stop the ball at high speed

pass the ball running
to 20 degrees
to -20 degrees
to 45 degrees
to -45 degrees
to 90 degrees
to -90 degrees
to 135 degrees
to -135 degrees
to 180 degrees
to -180 degrees

after all that still with the kicks
for all angles
and as the speed is different, the animations need to be different!

kick the ball walking
to 20 degrees
to -20 degrees
to 45 degrees
to -45 degrees
to 90 degrees
to -90 degrees
to 135 degrees
to -135 degrees
to 180 degrees
to -180 degrees

kick the ball running
to 20 degrees
to -20 degrees
to 45 degrees
to -45 degrees
to 90 degrees
to -90 degrees
to 135 degrees
to -135 degrees
to 180 degrees
to -180 degrees"

If we have people from the community create all of these animations and any additional ones that are necessary for the football game, then I think that this guy would be interested in making the project without donations :)

Is this guy with the YouTube channel getting involved? As he should be, his animations look decent.

Just to throw in my 2 cents...

My approach would be to make a simulation game, not arcade. My aim would be to get it to look and ideally play like the old PES games such as PES 6 as that stood out to me back in the day. This might be a difficult task of course, but we have plenty of time.

In a nutshell, imagine pes 6 with manual passing, shooting, fleshed out manager mode, better physics. If the game looked like that, or worse, but was like real football, I'd play it for the rest of my life, just installing a yearly teams/transfers update!

On a serious note it feels like we need to organise this on some level. Start a project, get a focal direction, start up the crowd funding, get talking about what we can achieve. Effectively we need a core team who take direction from all suggestions here. I can set up many of these things, I've mentioned my background in the sport previously so I feel I could add a lot from a simulation gameplay perspective, but I'd need a programmer to translate it into the engine as I'm not a programmer!

If things can be organised this way I'm happy to start the crowd funding process as I have a history in that, and that side of it I think will determine the level of success, or failure, achieved!

Hey yes thanks for your message. I would be happy to consult on some of the programming or game design if it's done with Unreal Engine. But I really unfortunately do not have the time to program it myself. I wish that I did, but I don't. But if we can find some people who are passionate about the project and can code well in Unreal Engine, or don't have experience, but do have a lot of time on their hands (it's very easy to learn to program in Unreal Engine using Blueprints) then we're well on our way to making this dream a reality. But unfortunately I do not know many people like that, but am trying to find some.
I've even thought about trying to learn to programme over the last few days, as I know if I had that knoeledge the game would already be in development! So it's interesting what you say, I'll look into Blueprints and see what it's all about, but I have no prior experience with programming, I just know exactly what I want it to do! 😂

Does anybody know what Seabass is doing thesedays? Is he still with Konami and involved with PES/eFootball? If so, I wonder if he's fully behind what's happening with eFootball or if he's now a detached and disillusioned figure, dismayed by the direction the Konami accountants are taking "his" game, wishing he could take his extensive knowledge and vision and go start a new football project of his own...if only he had the financial backing and resources offered by an enthusiastic community to assist.

Maybe Adam Bhatti knows?

Those animations in the demos already look better than most of what we currently have in PES.

Hi bros! If I may.. this would be my wishlist/questions for a created game:
- Focused on Master League and offline modes (cups, seasons, BAL, leagues)
- As many realistic leagues as possible.. Would people be able to create patches with new leagues?
- Realistic gameplay but not full simulation, meaning aimed at 15 minute games and not 90..
- Immersive managerial modes..

I'd love to see where this goes! Will be keeping an eye on this bros! :TU:

Back
Top Bottom