Chelsea Thread

Underestimation cost us the title. Our defense is all sluggish when we play against underrated teams. Hopefully that will be fixed next season.

The only match they didn't win against the top 4 was the 0-0 draw at the Emirates.

While this is impressive, the reason they lost to Palace, Villa, Sunderland, et al, wasn't down to lack of focus.

Like Bebo said, if Mourinho's Chelsea has to take initiative against their opponents, they look out of place. All they can do is lean on their reliable defense and counter-attack.
Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City are all attacking teams.

But when you get teams like WHU and Aston Villa, who are very physical and quite happy to park the bus themselves, Mourinho looks a bit lost. That's when he tastes his own venom, I suppose.

True but I think that will be rectified once they add one more attacking player to that side in a CF.

Hazard is pretty much the only attacking player to fear in there setup right now.

True but I think that will be rectified once they add one more attacking player to that side in a CF.

Hazard is pretty much the only attacking player to fear in there setup right now.

Hazard is by far their best player, and IMO he's the 2nd best in the League this season, only second to Luis Suarez.

Adding a new striker could help against the overly defensive teams, but Mourinho still would employ his 7-2-1 formation against attacking sides, no doubt.
That doesn't matter anyway, because Mourinho's complaints about 'not having strikers' are ludicrous.

Mourinho got it SPOT ON yesterday. Brenton is still learning, Maureen had him on toast.

I hate watching Chelsea but they had lots of players missing yesterday.

Very good result, well done Blues.

Mourinho is a God in big games. Everything he does comes off, the mind games, the downplaying and then the tactics are always spot on.

Liverpool didn't help themselves by letting Gerrard take millions of shots from outside of the box in a desperate attempt to be Superman but there you go.

He'll be rueing the games before this though.

rentboy, i've seen very attractive matches of Chelsea...i'm pretty sure you will have seen at least one...a match where they scored six goals...

I said a couple of times how naive Wenger is in games like those, so don't need to say it again.

All I'm saying is that Mourinho sets a counter attacking team expecting the opposition to take initiative, which is exactly what Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City all do.

Only a Bizarro World Wenger would do a Mourinho and go to Stamford Bridge with a 8-1-1 formation and waste time since minute 1. But if he ever did, Mourinho would be getting his knickers in a twist, just as he did when West Ham United visited them.

You see, for Mourinho it's all too simple: he can employ such anti-football tactics as much as he wants, but when someone else does, it's 19th Century football. He can also manage a team with limitless funds, breaking transfer fee records and paying unprecedented wages, but when other clubs do it, he calls for FFP!
Anyone can see right through his bullshit.

LMA vote Chelsea's win over Liverpool performance of the week.The panel, which comprises LMA Chairman Howard Wilkinson, Sir Alex Ferguson, Joe Royle, Dave Bassett and Barry Fry,decided our victory at Anfield on Sunday - against a side that had won 11 straight games and hadn't failed to score in nearly six months - was the most impressive performance of the week.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-artic...elsea-win-performance-of-the-week-award-again

http://www.leaguemanagers.com/news/news-7387.html

The context:
"I don't know what we lacked," he told beIN Sport. "After scoring, we had the game in our hands. Maybe they wanted it more than we did... It was an intense game. Beautiful to watch with opportunities.

"I'm sad but logic has been respected because they deserved to qualify.

"Chelea is not made to play football. We're good on the counter, a little bit like Real against Bayern.

"We did it well tonight since we scored. But their goal hurt us before the break. We failed to make the difference in the second half.

"Often, I'm asked to do it all by myself and it's not easy. It was a complicated game. It will be a lesson for us regarding next year."

Truth.

He's the only threat they have, and he wasn't even fit.

Did you even watch yesterdays' match ? Take a look at the first goal and what Willian did and tell me again what you said in your previous post.

Last year most of you even prefered Oscar to Hazard. I know he played a bad season, but last year he was great.

And Schurrle can also make the difference.

The point is that. Chelsea was a far better team under Benitez than under Mourinho.

Last edited:
Watching Chelsea is difficult to say the least.

Hundreds of millions spent and they play like West Ham. Depressing team.

Did you even watch yesterdays' match ? Take a look at the first goal and what Willian did and tell me again what you said in your previous post.

Last year most of you even prefered Oscar to Hazard. I know he played a bad season, but last year he was great.

And Schurrle can also make the difference.

The point is that. Chelsea was a far better team under Benitez than under Mourinho.

William and Schurrle are 'good' players, I mean when you spend the amounts Chelsea do your bound to atleast have that.

However in general, the only player to fear in there setup is Hazard.

Oscar too but he's been in woeful form as well hasn't been starting recently.

I'm not entirely impressed with hazard either (not related to last game, he was clearly unfit). he's for sure one of the top talents around but not among the very best yet imo. the only stand-out star in chelsea squad, unfortunately, is their manager.

Simeone and Klopp have shown in recent seasons that you don't need superstars to have successful teams. Or the benefit of a lot of money behind them as Mourinho and Guardiola have at their disposal.

imo,
Hazard is quality
Willian is very good
Schurrle is ok
Oscar is pants

I agree with all of that except Oscar - far too early to judge him.

Remember everyone saying how a certain Ronaldo was a one-trick pony and wouldn't succumb to anything when man Utd bought him?

I'm glad Chelsea won't bore us in the final. I really do feel it's a chore to watch this current Chelsea side.

This negative football based on the denial of opponents is too little for a club with that kind of investment. And the "Special One" didn't look so special against Cholo Simeone. Mourinho paid the price for attempting to play football only in the home match.

Here are some interesting numbers: the entire Atletico first team cost £20m less than Fernando Torres alone!
https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blog...-cost-20m-less-fernando-torres-112603689.html

Comparing both starting line ups, Chelsea's cost 6 times more than Atletico's.

Despite all that, amazingly, football wins.

Oscar was Chelsea's best player for the first 10 weeks of the season. No idea what happened, but he was fantastic. Can't write him off already!

I'm glad Chelsea won't bore us in the final. I really do feel it's a chore to watch this current Chelsea side.

This negative football based on the denial of opponents is too little for a club with that kind of investment. And the "Special One" didn't look so special against Cholo Simeone. Mourinho paid the price for attempting to play football only in the home match.

Here are some interesting numbers: the entire Atletico first team cost £20m less than Fernando Torres alone!
https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blog...-cost-20m-less-fernando-torres-112603689.html

Comparing both starting line ups, Chelsea's cost 6 times more than Atletico's.

Despite all that, amazingly, football wins.

Great article, Rentboy.

Now, I just hope they can pull it off against Real as well. They've already beat them once, and tied the other time.

the only stand-out star in chelsea squad, unfortunately, is their manager.

We will never know but i think withBenitez Chelsea would have won silverware this season.

And the best manager Chelsea ever had was Ancelotti.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom