Chelsea Thread

Bet this isn't even in the top 5 performances of your season and yet you're winning 6-0.

"Futbull isa strayenge"
Roberto Mancini

Can anyone explain something to me?

There is a team that has the second-highest wage bill in the league and has spent the second-highest amount over the past 5 years. It is a team that has numerous players that have won the league before, and the European Championship. It is managed by the only manager in the title race that has ever won the thing before, and has won it twice.

And yet Jose has somehow managed to convince the world that Chelsea are underdogs, and over-achieving by being where they are?

I just don't understand how he did it.

Chelsea were in first place, playing Crystal Palace this weekend. They feebly crumbled. And yet no a peep from the media/pundits or anything. Jose has somehow made it appear to the world that his 'small horse' is an underdog. It's amazing.

There is a team that has the second-highest wage bill in the league and has spent the second-highest amount over the past 5 years. It is a team that has numerous players that have won the league before, and the European Championship. It is managed by the only manager in the title race that has ever won the thing before, and has won it twice.

And yet Jose has somehow managed to convince the world that Chelsea are underdogs, and over-achieving by being where they are?

Chelsea were in first place, playing Crystal Palace this weekend. They feebly crumbled. And yet no a peep from the media/pundits or anything. Jose has somehow made it appear to the world that his 'small horse' is an underdog. It's amazing.

Splendid work from Mourinho...

Newcastle_United_Spending_Last_5_years.png

@ Pipa - Does that include United's recent buys (Mata/Fellaini)

Two things jump out at me:

1. Forget Stoke's net figure, look at Villa and Sunderlands gross figures!!!
2. LFC have actually spent more on outlays than United in the last 5 years. But less than Tottenham!

It must be a year old because our net spend over the last 5 years is 350m.

Infact, who knows? if it was a year old our net spend should be around 389m

edit: I think it's just a typo in our "Purchased gross". it should be 540, not 640

Last edited:
Fack`in Arsenal ... they want a trophy for not spending and still manages 3rd ffs! They should at least be a mid-table at spending.

Splendid work from Mourinho...
In Spain its harder to pull the wool over the eyes. The UK is his play ground.

Last edited:

I think it's just a case of it being out of their hands now with only 6 games left.
Right now, I actually think they'll finish above Liverpool - I reckon (hope) both City and Chelsea will draw at Anfield.

But, yea, the English media pray at the alter of Jose. They lap it up

Last edited:
Hope Chelsea get a decent result tonght so there's more chance of them taking their eye off the league for another week but I hope they go out in the 2nd leg. Can't have them going to Anfield focused on anything but taking points off Liverpool

Yeah, It's still too soon for him to come back. you already know how I feel about him ATM, but I have no doubt about him being a world class keeper, he's just not ready to take on Cech yet.
It's only fair to him (and Atléico) that he stays at Madrid for another season. Hopefully he'd still want to come afterwords.

Buy player, loan him for FOUR YEARS.

That's mental. Won't he just about be out of contract after another season?

I want Chelsea to progress, but this is a fair result.
Delighted for Pastore, hope this can give him a boost. I loved him at Palermo.
The biggest victim of what happened yesterday might be Courtois.

We need to be physically stronger to beat this team. Seriously, they can easily push us anywhere they want to. Gotta admire Cahill's defense though. The two most important matches had been lost. We need to stop this losing momentum by beating Stoke City on a high margin. If we can do it against Napoli, we can do it again against PSG. Well, without Drogba ofcourse. :'(

Beach, 90% of what you write about Chelsea is nonsense generated by haters and frustration because United have disastrous season (by your glory hunter standards).
Take for example your post about Courtois. What's wrong with 4 years on loan. I would call this ashrewd investeert by Chelsea.

I hope Man Utd plays for a top 4 place next season to get rid of your broken record.

Beach, 90% of what you write about Chelsea is nonsense generated by haters and frustration because United have disastrous season (by your glory hunter standards).
Take for example your post about Courtois. What's wrong with 4 years on loan. I would call this ashrewd investeert by Chelsea.

I hope Man Utd plays for a top 4 place next season to get rid of your broken record.

I've been posting negative things when Chelsea do negative things while we've been champions of Europe and England. Nothing to do with United's success.

I genuinely don't believe Chelsea should be able to have a full team of internationals out on loan. That's my opinion - it's hardly unique. Courtois has been well treated in the sense that he's been able to stay at a single club for that time and have a stable life. But that's not true for a whole host of their other loan players.

It's a smart strategy don't get me wrong. Chelsea are almost the Venture Capitalist of football. Buy 20 young and unproven European starlets at prices everyone else balks at, farm them out for their formative years and then use the 3 that make it to improve your first team, and take a hit on the rest. In the meantime they might even be able to help you (Lukaku taking points off rivals).

I think if we didn't allow all the loans, it would increase the overall level of competition across Europe. Young talents would stay with their 'home' clubs longer, and perform in top leagues earlier. They'd also be in control of their own fate, not forced to keep uprooting their lives every 6 months.

@ Gerd: Feel free to discuss the merits of the policy, but I see no point in jibes that aren't debate or even opinions. Do I like Chelsea as a club? No. Do I like how Abramovich made his millions? No. Do I like the way Mourinho carries on? Nope. Perhaps that invalidates my opinion on the loan system.

Back
Top Bottom